Start by marking “A Single Thread” as Want to Read:
A Single Thread

A Single Thread (Cobbled Quilt #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,795 Ratings  ·  563 Reviews
Marie Bostwick weaves the unforgettable story of four very different women whose paths cross, changing their lives forever. . .

It's a long way from Fort Worth, Texas, to New Bern, Connecticut, yet it only takes a day in the charming Yankee town to make Evelyn Dixon realize she's found her new home. The abrupt end of her marriage was Evelyn's wake-up call to get busy chas

Published (first published November 1st 2008)

GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 04, 2008 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer/ Barbara
Shelves: favorites, fiction
"I always tell students that quilts are made up of straight lines, but that isn't true. Quilts are made of broken lines, just like life. Over and over again, we try and walk a straight path but run into dead ends, sharp corners and uneven ground that cuts us off and forces us to change direction. Sometimes it's painful, other times joyful. But it isn't until you take a moment to stand still, step off the line, and back away that you finally see the truth. Those unexpected turns and startling abo ...more
Katrina Burchett
Newly divorced Evelyn Dixon needed a change. She drove from Forth Worth, TX to the town of New Bern, CT, happened upon an old run down shop for rent and realized that she’d found a new home; a place to make her dream of owning a quilt shop a reality. She loved quilting and she was determined to make this new business work even though people told her it wouldn’t last.
Abigail Burgess Wynne, the wealthiest woman in New Bern, had many acquaintances but her attorney, Franklin, was her only friend. He
Jackie
Aug 18, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read a few other reviews, I'll just chip in my "two cents worth". I enjoyed this book. I agree that it isn't full of anything really new. But: I did not feel manipulated. I enjoyed the characters. I mostly liked the dialogue. And I just plain enjoyed the reading of this book.

One particular thing that jumped out at me: the absence of the foul language that so permeates books today. It is possible to write something that most people enjoy without resorting to such unpleasantness, this book
Kathleen
Jul 26, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book about strong women, struggling women, rallying women, blah blah blah. And guess what! Happy endings for everyone - all neatly tied up in a bow. Everyone falls in love, resolves their issues, gets healthy and lives happily ever after helping the less fortunate and kicking the bad guy to the curb. Reminded me way to much of Blossom Street, which was worse in terms of prose, but very parallel in storyline.
This one was very predicable, characters luke warm in the likeable department
Cathy Daniel
Jun 02, 2015 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Omg BEST BOOK EVER! I loved these characters and am literally mourning the fact they aren't real lol. I cried, laughed, got mad and squealed over it! I'm so happy this is the first of 6? Books in this series! MUST READ FOR ALL
Bonnie
May 07, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gentle, wonderful story about the miracles of friendship and is testament to the saying that "when one door closes, another one opens". This happens for Evelyn, the main character in A Single Thread. Evelyn's husband of close to thirty years surprises her one day with the announcement that he wants a divorce. This changes the course of Evelyn's future and she ends up moving from Texas to a small town in Connecticut. Evelyn has always had a dream to open a quilt shop and she is able to ...more
Gloria Bernal
Feb 14, 2009 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first contemporary novel Marie has written. Her previous novels were historical fiction based around wartime which I personally found myself enthralled in. She is one of the most gifted writer I have come across in recent years.

This one is written well and features a group of women who come together through quilting, not an original concept as there are countless others but Marie pulled
these women together well. Each quilter has her own story and cross to bear, also not unique but I
Brenda
Apr 07, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was a well-written, heartwarming story about some strangers with different backgrounds that become good friends after meeting at a breast cancer fundraiser (Quilt Pink) held in the shop of one of the women. The chapters are told in first person from the perspective of the different women which you would think would bug me, but it didn't. :-) Maybe it was because I could see part of myself in most of the characters.
Kelly
Jan 15, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally dislike the type of books wherein everyone rallys around a person in need and that person in need soldiers bravely on.
I also found the writig in the book a little akward and the ending predictible.
However, having said that this book also drew me in in spite of my dislikes. There was something appealing about Abigal Burgess and the relationship with her niece as well as the depections of individuals coming together as a community.
JayeL
Jun 17, 2013 JayeL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, second-reading, 2013
Anna
Evelyn has recently divorced and is unsure of her future. A spur of the moment decision leads Evelyn to New Bern intending to enjoy the fall colors and have time alone to contemplate her life. There she discovers an old shop, long abandoned, that she envisions as the quilt shop she has often dreamed of opening.
Abigail is the town benefactor, well liked, but holds people at a distance. When circumstances force her to take in her long estranged niece, Liza, she and Liza conflict from the start. L
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to start this one, it got such great reviews from critics and readers alike. Evelyn Dixon has always dreamed about opening up a quilt shop. After her divorce, she relocates from Texas to New Bern, Conn. and after dealing with several issues connected to the old building she purchased for her shop and apartment, Evelyn's doors finally open. Here she forms friendships with several women with stories of their own.

I wish that I could say that I loved this book, but I couldn't even fi
Violet
Mar 01, 2009 Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this. It started out slow, but about midway through it got really compelling. It does have some of the traits I generally dislike in women's fiction (some predictable plot lines, although there were some nice twists in this one, and all-to-convenient solutions. Where in real life can I find a rich fairy godmother?) but overall, it was very entertaining and heartwarming.
 Barb Bailey
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were very well developed. When I finished the book I wished I could take a short trip to New Bern CT and visit the Cobbled Quilt shop and meet these friends and take a class ! This book is about so many things, changes in our lives, hope, endurance , encouragement and the importance of friendship. I will be reading more from this author.
Marsha
Apr 26, 2009 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters of this book are so well developed. You can almost see the people as they walk through the cobblestone streets of New Bern, CT. After reading this tome, I better understood the specific challenges of fighting breast cancer. I'm looking forward to Bostwick's next novel coming out May 2009.
Michele
Jan 25, 2013 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cling to your friends and be a friend to others. The need for friendship is the single thread that we all have running through us."
Trish
Dec 20, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first chapter our heroine Evelyn describes an early childhood encounter with shelves and shelves of towels in graduated colors, colors merging almost imperceptibly into one another, though the color wheel. Right away I was listening. This is a book about women’s community formed around the craft of quilting. Several of the women were actually resistant to this notion in the beginning, which further endeared me to the author.

Things weren’t going especially well for Evelyn, who had recently
Dale Harcombe
Jun 06, 2013 Dale Harcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming, easy to read book which I greatly enjoyed. I admit to being a sucker for books about crafts that I have no aptitude for. A Single Thread is one that deals with quilting but so much more than that. It is about friendship, love, loss, the challenges of life and second chances.
After the demise of her marriage, Evelyn Dixon moves to the town of New Bern where she opens a quilt shop. There she meets Abigail, a wealthy well connected person in town, her niece Liza and Margot curre
Lindsey
Apr 08, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book was a beautiful story of a woman's struggle with diagnosis, treatment and dealing with breast cancer. I thought that part of the story was well done.

Other than that, it's not one of my favourite books. I felt some of the characters to be a bit contrived and some of the situations a bit too convenient. The romantic pairing up of everyone at the end of the story is a little over the top, and some of the christian references a little too cheesy.

The story is narrated by 2 wo
Ruth
Dec 02, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evelyn and her husband were the owners of a 3000 sq. ft. house in Texas. When they renovated their kitchen, her husband told her that they were going to put in the granite countertops because they were going to live in that house for the rest of their lives and he wanted to have something that would last. Little did she know that a few months after that he would stand in that kitchen and tell her that after 25 years he wanted a divorce. The countertops lasted, the marriage didn't. Evelyn's only ...more
Maki
Dec 18, 2014 Maki rated it really liked it
I picked up A Single Thread because it looked a lot like The Dress by Sophie Nicholls, minus the magic. I really enjoyed The Dress, so I figured I'd go a head and give this book a try.

It was...different than I'd expected. The main plot focuses on Evelyn's fight against breast cancer, and how she overcomes her struggles with help from her newfound friends, quilting, and just a bit of luck. Of course, that's only the main plot - there are several side plots that help keep the story interesting thr
Carol
Dec 14, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Book group pick
Shelves: fiction
This was the perfect book for December. It was an easy read about middle-aged Evelyn who needs to make it on her own after her husband dumps her for the younger woman. She relocates from her Texas home to a small in Connecticut where she decides to follow a life-time passion for quilting by opening The Cobbled Court Quilt Shop. Though not all is happy, the story never makes you feel like stopping reading.

The story examines friendships, women’s issues, self-worth, teenage angst, love, loyalty, b
Audrey
May 23, 2009 Audrey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is some of the wort female-driven crap I've ever read. It's filled with insipidly bad dialogue, gag-worthy contrived plotlines, and eye-rollingly predictable characters. She tries to put together this clunky piece of garbage by using cheap manipulative female drama elements, like death, divorce, adultery, quilting (by far the worst metaphor I've ever seen used in a book) and breast cancer. One gets the impression she stole all the material off of some Lifetime: Television for Women movie fr ...more
Gizem
Jul 15, 2015 Gizem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı kapağına göre yargılama.. Ben laylaylom diye aldım ama içinde fazlası , acısı ve tatlısı var. Pek laylaylom olmadığı ise kesin..
Michele
May 18, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about different women in a small town in New England who come together for various reasons. There is the main character (Evelyn) who moves there after a divorce and decides she is finally going to realize her dream of opening a quilt shop. Dealing with the loss of her marriage and the stresses of trying to get her small business to succeed against the odds was about all she could handle until a very unexpected event occurs. It is then that she meets the other women who will become ...more
Lin Stepp
Nov 12, 2014 Lin Stepp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been delighted by my first Marie Bostwick read BETWEEN HEAVEN AND TEXAS … I read about the author and went looking for the first book in this Cobbled Quilt series. Main character Evelyn Dixon is shocked to discover that her husband is unhappy in their marriage and wanting a divorce. With her son having just gone to college … she feels even more lost. On a whim, she sets off by car from Texas heading north and finds her way to a small town in Connecticut that seems to connect with her in s ...more
Julie
Jul 27, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I love a book that comes to life for me - as if I'm in the theater watching everything unfold right in front of me. A Single Thread did that for me. I could picture the characters, the facial expressions, the town, shop, the street...When I finished the book I remember thinking "why did I wait so long to read this?" It was in my TBR pile for a year or more. But then, someone I love was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so maybe this was when I was meant to read it. I like to think s ...more
Tina
Jul 21, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a about how the unexpected turns in life open us up to new possibilities and new relationships. With quilting as a single thread in common, a life derailed takes a new direction and changes the lives of many. Not being a quilter it opened up my mind to the possibility that I might even want to give it a try or at least learn more about the stories quilts tell. Im going to definitely explore the sequels Bostwick wrote when she turned this into "the cobbled quilt" series.
Staci
Jan 16, 2010 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: http://redladysreadingroom-redlady.bl...
Shelves: 2010-reads
What a lovely book!! There wasn't a part in this novel that I didn't enjoy or truly believe could happen. I'm a big sucker for stories that involve women, hardship, friendships, and some sort of craft, this one has it all. I wanted to live in their town and be friends with all of them. I could so see myself learning how to quilt with the help of Evelyn, the main character.Thankfully, there is a sequel, A Thread of Truth, which is resting happily on my library loot shelf!!
Kristin R
May 07, 2009 Kristin R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Newly divorced Evelyn takes a trip to New England on the spur of the moment – from Texas. She stops in Connecticut and wanders around the little town and feels oddly at home. On a whim she decides to move there and open a quilting shop, the one she always wanted to have. As Evelyn gets settled and makes friend and meets customers, her life has more ups and downs. Enjoy this book and the new people in her life as they all get to know each other.
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • The Lost Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #14)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Connecticut and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
More about Marie Bostwick...

Cobbled Quilt (7 books)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Quilt #2)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Quilt #4)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Quilt #5)
  • Between Heaven and Texas (Cobbled Quilt, #6)
  • Apart at The Seams (Cobbled Quilt, #7)

“Between one breath and the next, your whole world can change. ” 6 likes