Letters From Home

Letters From Home

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Letters from home lift John Caldwell’s spirits during his tour of duty in Iraq. Phoebe Honeycutt, otherwise known as Aunt Bee to all the kids in the neighborhood, fills an empty place in his life through her letters and cookie care packages after the death of his grandmother. But what John doesn’t realize is that Phoebe isn’t the doddering old lady he believes her to be. A...more
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Letters From Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters From Home

Hazellie
OMG, what a terrible book! Ok, I'm sorry for seeming mean with this review, but this book is just really bad.

It's cruel and thoughtless, and John was selfish and stupid and clueless. It's just really stupid. I'm sorry, but I am extremely angry at the thoughtlessness of the way this book was written, and I know if I didn't like it, I could've stopped reading... but that was the problem.

I actually liked the first part of the book, I liked the characters, I liked Aunt Bee, and John and his army fri...more
Kristy
Ugh, OK I don't know if I would have liked this book better if I read it instead of listening to the audio version or not. But I have to say I couldn't STAND the audio version! The girl reading the story talked SOOOOOOOOOOO SLOWLY!!!! I had to keep rewinding it because I would lose interest in what she was saying and my thoughts would wander away from the story. ALSO, the southern accent was so bad, and the voices she made for the different characters drove me nuts!! All this really detracted fr...more
Tanya
Listened to this book on audio over the weekend and went for lots of walks just so I could keep listening. Ended up talking with a bit of a southern accent just like the narrator! I quite enjoyed it for a light weekend read.

Bee writes to John while he is serving overseas to let him know his grandmother has passed away and so begins a correspondance between the two. Its not until John is on his way home that Bee realises he thinks she is his grandmothers age. It is too late to let him know that...more
Darcy
I thought this one was very cute. You knew where it was going to go from the first page, but it was still fun seeing Phoebe and John along their journey. Some of the best scenes came from little kids and meddling old people. The ending was perfect for the couple.
Leeanne Kilpatrick
It was lovely. Nice story, strong heroine, hunky military dude. Light and airy. Just what I was looking for.
Joann Krause radke
It was ok not a lot of romance
Lori
Yes,it was predictable. Yes,you knew what would happen. Yes, you knew how it would come together in the end. All in all though it was a very enjoyable audiobook. This audio was $2.95 on Itunes and was a good price for a cute story. The narrator R.E. Chambliss did a very good job, giving the characters different voices and emphasis on the right sentances and words. This is i believe my first audio read by Mrs. Chambliss. I would definitley listen to another audiobook read by her.
Nicola
Cute, if somewhat predictable, story. I always enjoy a feel good book-- nice to read about characters who are genuinely good people! I was surprised to find that I enjoyed listening to the audiobook so much -- but I do need more comfortable earphones.
Ocean
I listened to the audiobook while running. Totally predictable but still a fun listen. Not something I would probably want to read but it did a nice job of keeping me entertained during my run and I really did like the characters.
Karen Russell
Great story line. I found this on sale on itunes for just a couple of dollars so I listened to it at work. There is one sex scene, the language was pretty clean and no violence. I enjoyed it.
~Megan~
Complete and utter fluff, but I loved every inch of it! Sometimes you just need a good sappy, feel-good romance, and this one fit the bill for me and my current mood.
Jessica
Listened to this book because it was on sale on Audible...don't waste your money. Very predictable plot.
Roshawn Bedford
Nice, easy, summer read. Somewhat predictable yes, but good book to relax and curl up with.
Dailycheapreads
Listened to it on audio - cute, predictable and perfect for a light read.
Casse Willard
A very sweet story, with a happy ending...very good to uplift your spirts!!
Joli
Predictable but an enjoyable light read.
Leslie
Predictable but a nice light read. I liked it!
Tristen
It was predictable.
Ioanna
<2 actually.....not for me!!!
Karen
Cute story.
Keshia
Keshia marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Junior Lilbrain
Junior Lilbrain marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Alicia
Alicia is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Tiffany Waugh
Tiffany Waugh marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jo currently resides in North Carolina with her patient and supportive family while she juggles her writing career and her position as a programmer analyst. She has won numerous awards and continues to write whenever she can. Someday, she hopes to take off her programming hat and write full time. So many of her dreams have already come true. What's one more?
Email: jobarrett@jobarrett.net
More about Jo Barrett...
Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1) This Is How It Happened The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom Nothing To Commend Her Rogue's Challenge (Challenge, #2)