Start by marking “Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat” as Want to Read:
Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat

Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  25 reviews

It's salty, smoky, and sweet. It's experiencing a culinary renaissance. It can make almost any dish better. It's bacon, and it's the best meat ever. And now, here's the book that celebrates that deliciously sinful strip of cured pork belly.

In Bacon: A Love Story, popular bacon blogger Heather Lauer serves up a piping hot dish of fun and facts with this definitive love

Published (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bacon

Dan Schwent
My girlfriend gave this to me as an early Christmas present weeks ago due to my lifelong love affair with a certain salted cured meat. Bacon: A Love Story details the many facets of baconology: the origins of bacon, how pigs have been selectively bred to produce more meat and less fat, important figures in bacon history, and ways to eat the Best Meat Ever. My heart pounded in my chest as I read about bacon wrapped tater tots and other delights, though I don't know if that was bacon lust or my he ...more
R.C.
I've always wondered if it were possible to have too much bacon. Then I read this book. Without a doubt, the answer is yes.

I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy this book. The prose was okay. Interesting facts were sprinkled throughout like salt across a strip of bacon. There were intriguing stories—like the one about the Boise street vendor—and tons of tidbits from chefs and producers alike.

Maybe I didn't like it as much due the the author referring to bacon as The Best Meat Ever throughout the book—
Melissa
Hooray, Bacon Nation!

First of all, it's great to know that there are tons of equally, if not more obsessed bacon-philes out there. Lauer does a great job of exploring the history of The Best Meat Ever as well as how it continues to rise in popularity through is prevalence in pop culture and fine dining.

The recipes look lovely, although I have yet to try any, and the history is comprehensive, but I still think this book lacks a bit of body, and I think that's because of the subject at hand. Lauer
Richard Houchin
Unlike bacon, this book is light on substance and easy to forget. The book is at its best when it is presenting interviews of chefs and descriptions of local eateries, but that only accounts for a small fraction of the book's content. There's a lot of potential for a book of this sort that is well researched and hefty with weight, but this book too often goes for repetitive and unconnected comments about bacon being The Best and Don't We All Know That Anyway. Render it down and you're left with ...more
Stephen
It cannot be said that Heather Lauer's book on bacon is really a "cookbook" when one has to read 112 pages of gushing paean before reaching the first recipe. The recipes included are, however, worth waiting for. To call Lauer a bacon enthusiast is an understatement. She has written the blog BaconUnwrapped.com since 2005. Much of the material in this book is drawn from that blog. She consistently refers to bacon as "The Best Meat Ever" and to the farmers who raise hogs, the processors who cure po ...more
Terri
As a serious bacon lover, it's a shame I have to give this book one star, but sadly, a delicious subject does not make for a delicious book.

This book is yet another example of a blog turned book that really did not merit being made into book form. The writing is atrocious, topics and interview subjects repeated in different chapters multiple times, and some of the content was just horrible and did nothing to elevate the status of bacon (Do people really need to read a whole page about the bacon
Wendy
This was a fun little book, entertainingly written, replete with all kinds of information about the origins of the world's favourite meat. My favourite bit of pork trivia from history relates to the measures taken by old-time Manhattanites to keep the pigs out of people's houses and businesses; they erected a brick wall to keep them in a particular part of the island. And modern-day Wall Street is the site of said wall.

Lots of stuff about the culture of pork, particularly bacon, and how the maj
I am torn between giving this two stars or three - but I suppose the fact that I actually finished it (though, admittedly, I skimmed much of the second half) means I should go with three.

This book...well, I guess my reaction to it can be summed up as "It reads like a blog." I realize the author is a blogger, but I felt like that fact was, somehow, painfully obvious. It wasn't necessarily badly written, but it's clear that the author is used to writing things that are much shorter. The book is qu
Lindsay
This book is yucky. It's clearly different blog pieces slapped into a book, but not in a good way. I read 25% of it, and that was 24% too much. I'm glad I just downloaded this as an ebook from the library on a whim, because I don't feel bad about not finishing it.
Michelle Rittler
As a lover of bacon, I wanted to love this book, but I struggled through it. While the book offered factoids about the different varieties of bacon and a handful of intriguing-sounding recipes, it was not organized very well.

The chapters, by theme, made sense, but the content within each chapter was disjointed and awkward to read through. The book was saturated with praise for bacon, which makes sense given the tome's title, but I felt it was overdone and over-exaggerated.
meredith ann
yeah, this book probably should've just stayed as a blog.

at first, a book about bacon was amusing, if not a bit boring on and off. i liked learning about the history of bacon (cause i like the history of pretty much everything). once the writer started making comments about how could anyone be vegetarian and deprive themselves (and insinuating there's something wrong with them, if it's not for religious reasons), i decided it was time to give up on this one.
Greg
Many reviews of this book make note that this book is better suited to a blog format. I disagree. It is a concise collection of all you ever need to know about bacon in bound format. Maybe even more than you need to know. Sure, I could live without list of hot dog carts in Los Angeles that sell bacon-wrapped hotdogs; but the recipes! Bacon-wrapped tater tots! Bacon-wrapped omelettes! Bacon stroganoff!
Jliongrrrl
Some of this (ie the history and process of making bacon) was very funny and interesting, other parts read like an advertisement for meat products in a bad Sunday circular. It did contain some interesting recipes that I plan to try. I am pretty sure I could live without knowing that there are bacon lollipops out there though. Perhaps I just don't love bacon enough to fully appreciate this book?
Robert Jordan
This book provides a whimsical account of all things bacon. The author presented some interesting historical and cultural facts about The Best Meat Ever. Also, I found a few very interesting recipes for preparing bacon. I got bored after the first few chapters and skimmed the remaining part of the book. If you love bacon, you will enjoy this book. I did.
Nikki
This was a pretty dry collectionon of facts about bacon. Some of the recipes and restaurant suggestions might be helpful but otherwise it just made me want to eat bacon, not know where it comes from.
Martin
Bacon: the gateway meat. Well-written and funny homage to one of my favorite things. Some good info in here too, and I can't wait to try the bacon chilli recipe!
Rick Segers
It's a book on bacon. What's not to like? And to top it off, my daughter gave it to me. There are some pretty good recipes in it as well.
Lance Taylor
Learn the true meaning of chewing the fat. You'll be hard pressed not to crave salty meat snacks whilst reading this "Bacon Bible!"
Michael
Eehh. Reads like a blog, not a book. Did not make me desire bacon, which is kinda why I checked it out from the library.
Michael
Instead of buying this book, people should instead spend the money on buying more bacon
Iris
informative but lacks organization & narrative. had to put it away after 1/3 reading.
Cecelia
Good information if somewhat sophomoric writing
Awjtf
lots of interesting info about bacon!
Joao
Sep 03, 2009 Joao marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'll follow a friend's advice
Steve
I am not a baconphile, but I'm enjoying this book written by a friend--and former political consultant. It's history, culture and cooking all in one fairly brief book. You'll learn more about bacon than you ever thought possible and more about the people who love bacon than you ever wanted to know. My favorite thing about reading this book was the reaction from people who saw me reading it. This book claims that there are millions upon millions of people who are bacon fanatics. I've met quite a ...more
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Carla Javier
Carla Javier marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit
  • Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • Best Food Writing 2010
  • Milk: The Surprising Story of Milk Through the Ages
  • Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World
  • Chocolate Wars: The 150-Year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers
  • White Bread: A Social History of the Store-Bought Loaf
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
Bacon: A Love Story Bacon: A Love Story