My Boyfriends' Dogs

My Boyfriends' Dogs

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  47 reviews
If only boys were more like dogs. On a stormy night in St. Louis, Bailey Daley finds refuge in an after-hours diner. Bailey, a girl with three dogs in tow, wearing a soaking-wet prom dress, obviously has a story to tell. See, she wants what every girl wants from her boyfriend: enthusiasm, loyalty, and unconditional love. And Bailey is always falling in love?with boys, and...more
Published February 4th 2010 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 12th 2010)

Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadThe Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth ScottBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverLinger by Maggie StiefvaterSomething Like Fate by Susane Colasanti
2010 YA novels (part 1)
61st out of 126 books — 252 voters
Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
YA Novels of 2010
294th out of 614 books — 2,647 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I absolutely loved this book. It made me smile and it has a very good message for young girls.

I read this book because it was about dogs. Usually, I don't like animal books, but this one isn't an "animal" story. MY BOYFRIENDS' DOGS is about growing up and remembering to be yourself. It states that you don't have to be a perfect girlfriend. You can't lose yourself to please a guy.

The heroine of this story is Bailey Daley. When we first meet her she i...more
Judy
Bailey Daley attracts dogs to her. She trips over a white terrier named Adam and then meets his owner, Went Smith. She considers him her boyfriend but he seems to flirt with every girl he meets. Right before she is ready to give into him so he will want only her she sees that he is not the one type of woman. She loses Went but gains Adam. She is telling her story in Louie's of St Louis where she went to get out of the rain. She is in a prom dress with her hair up and has her 3 dogs. Her story is...more
Kristina
This book had an interesting premise but it was terrible. The book is split into three stories and I couldn't even finish the first one. I flipped ahead to see what the outcome was and just couldn't keep going. If felt like a really preachy, vapid way to tell girls not to have sex before marriage. The female protaganist's first real boyfriend is having sex with another girl the whole time they are dating and the conclusion she comes to is not to be outraged and dump his ass, but to hold on to hi...more
emily
Karen Keyte
Just before midnight, during one of the worst thunderstorms of the season, Bailey Daley knocked on the door of the just-closed Louie of St. Louie's Diner. Soaking wet from head to toe, dressed in a designer original prom dress and leading three dogs on leashes, Bailey obviously has a story.

Over the long hours of the night that follows, Bailey tells Louie, his cook Rune and his regular customer Colt about her three great loves, the three dogs she got from them and how her mistakes in romance have...more
April
This was a pretty cute, innocent romance. The main reason I didn't love it is because it got pretty close to the edge of didactic and that's just not my cup of tea. It also portrays teens stereotypically (main character must lose 10 pounds to fit into prom dress! Or else!). Well now that I think of it almost all of the people in the book are stereotyped to some level like the snooty rich country club mom. But I did actually enjoy reading it and I liked some of the characters. I just thought ther...more
Cassie
Fun, quick read that has a sweet ending and some solid laughs. Less focus on finding the perfect man and more about finding the perfect imperfect man for you. Sort of.
Yan
My Boyfriends’ Dogs relives the experience of first love three times. I know, I know, with your first love it can only happen once, but with Bailey it’s an exception. See the first was just for practice, the second was a case of mistaken identity, and the third was a fluke. What these three boyfriends had in common was the extreme high Bailey felt and the adorable dogs that own.

With My Boyfriends’ Dogs I expected a very cute, highly dramatizes, sqee-y book, but it had a much different approach....more
Princess Bookie
Taken From My Blog: www.princessbookie.com

My Thoughts: This is one of the cutest books I've ever read. First off, I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of books that go back and forth between characters (alternating viewpoints) or books that take place going back and fourth between past and present. This book jumped back and fourth between the past and present! It totally worked in this book! It made it what it was. We meet Bailey who shows up at a cafe in the middle of the night. 3 mean are t...more
Sammy L
"My Boyfriends' Dogs," by Dandi Daley Mackall starts out with a high-schooler named Bailey who arrives at a diner on a stormy night, soaking and in a prom dress. She also has three dogs with her. The owner of the diner, intrigued, can't help but ask what her story is. She says it is a long story, but he insists that he hear it, saying that he'll be there all night. So she begins her tale of how she got the dogs from three different boyfriends. Throughout her search for the perfect boyfriend, she...more
Angela Wragg
The title of the book that I read was My Boyfriends' Dogs. The author is Dandi Daley Mackall. I would say the genre of the book would be mostly romance. In the book we follow Bailey as she falls in love for the first, second, and third time. In the process she gets three dogs named Adam, Eve, and Shirley.

This is a fiction book. There are many main characters. Some of the main characters are Bailey, Amber, Went, Mitch, and Eric. I think that the plot of the story is all about growing up and reme...more
Elizabeth
This story started out pretty good. The dynamics between characters was fairly sharp and I enjoyed the relationships between Bailey, Amber, Went and Big D. The budding relationship between Went and Bailey was cringe-worthy but accurate and I felt myself back in high school, holding onto that boy who never felt for me the way I felt for him. Ah, the memories! I understood Bailey's motivations and need to mould herself into "perfect girlfriend material". I think we've all been there.

What irked me...more
Helen Slivinski
I LOVED IT- so real and yet so charmingly dreamy, you watch her grow into a women. She touches others in a way beyond what you would expect, and the intricate stories keep you hooked and cheering for her from page 1!
Just - The romance reader
I'm a sucker for a good story involving a dog, and My Boyfriends' Dogs just happens to involve a girl and her 3 adopted dogs.

The story finds cute, quirky, and hopelessly romantic Bailey Daley having just escaped a rainstorm by taking shelter in a St. Louis diner late on the night of her senior prom. Bailey and her 3 dogs, Adam, Eve, and Shirley take us and the other diner patrons through the journey of Bailey's past relationship, and how she came to be sitting in the diner on the night of her p...more
Magi
This YA fiction title is a twist on the classic girl meets boy, girl loses boy, but keeps his dog, story line. Set in a cafe in St. Louis, Mackall's story about a young woman who has only so-so luck holding onto boyfriends, but not their dogs, is lighthearted with a kind of happy ending. I loved that it was set in St. Louis, somehow it makes it seem just a little more real, when you've been to the St. Louis and Missouri landmarks that are mentioned in the book.

It's a nice break from the myriad d...more
Autumn
This was not my favorite book in the world, but it kept my attention. I found it very interesting. The first story in the story was okay, it was nothing great and it almost made me want to put the book down. Almost.
The second story got a little better. Then third story was probably the best out of all of them, but it still wasn't great.
One thing that I noticed durring the whole book was that Bailey came across as overly boy crazy. However, I liked how she had decided to stay pure untill she wa...more
Caitlinleah
this is a really fun one, and it totally needs to be made into a movie. it's the most cinematic book i've read in a long time. and it started right in the middle of the action in a compelling, not confusing way. girl storms into a closing cafe in st.louis in the middle of a thunderstorm soaked to the skin in a very fancy prom dress with three dogs whom she says are not hers, but her boyfriends dogs. isn't that a great setup? doesn't it make you want to interlibraryloan this book? i did. i'm not...more
Emma Xoxo
This book was romantic, yet heart wrenching at the same time.I love how her relationships are, and her relationships with the dogs. But they all end up .... broken. Leaving her "seeing." Maybe it was better for her each time, maybe it wasn't. In my head, it was a little more on the better side. A pun that I noticed in maybe my 3rd day reading this, is that the main character's name is Bailey Daley. Then I read the author's name and realized: Dandi DALEY Mackall. HA! Oh gosh... I liked this book....more
Maggie
Being a dog person myself, i fell in love with this book. It was too cute.

What i loved abt the book was the message it was conveying, dont change yourself for a guy. Someone will fall in love you because of your quirks. I am very happy with the ending cause all of her ex-boyfriends were horrible, but then they helped her in finding herself. I think the most decent one was Eric. I loved his sister, Roni tho :)

Anyway it was a great book and a quick read.
Kelli
I liked the idea of this book because its so different. It's a story of stories, from a teen girls perspective. It's definitely chik-lit and definitely has the tone of a young girl. The whole, having three dogs from three boyfriends when you're just in high school is a bit far fetched. But it's suppose to make the book more cute. So it's kind of forgivable. It has a rather cute ending, I did skim some, and mostly read the good parts.
Alyssa
The main reason I read this book is because of Goofy. The book is well written and has an interesting story line, but the fact that the main character obsesses over finding the perfect boyfriend is slightly annoying. She has finding a perfect boyfriend higher on her list of priorities than college. Other than that, this is a sweet, adventurous story about how one girl ended up owning three unique dogs.
Evelyn Weiner
I loved this book. I started it because I have a thing about dogs and cats so this is right up my alley. It is a story about heartbreak, hope, and dogs. It is split into three sections each about a different boyfriend that didn't work out. It was entertaining and not cliche at all. I have never read a book quite like it, so it was an nice surprise.
Leah
To be honest, I borrowed this book on a whim. I didn't think it would be any good, actually I thought it would be a bit shallow.
But this book was great! It had cute dogs and 3 short stories in a way.
The characters were great (I love the name Bailey Daley of Ukelele Lane) and so were the messages this book gave :)
Stephanie A.
I felt like the author wanted to write about dogs more than she actually wrote about them. Which makes no sense, because she wrote the Winnie the Horse Gentler books and I loved those. But I definitely felt like there was insufficient dog time when I finished. Misleading title is misleading.
Claudia
I never thought that I might like it, I randomly picked it up at some book store. The beginning was great. But then it got more of a "Why don't I have a boyfriend" sob story. Parts could get kind of creepy. I finished it though. Another book on my done shelf I guess.
Jacquelyn
I kind of liked it. Of course it was one of those 'what was she thinking' scenarios over and over when it came to the stories of the boyfriends. But honestly, isn't that the way it is in real life when it comes to those we date?
Emily
Okay, I'm sorry. I know I've talked some shit about this book. The guys were all two-dimensional and fake. However, her telling off the last guy (Alan, Eric?) totally redeemed this for me. I was all "TAKE DAT BITCH".
Megan
A fascinating book about a girl and her struggle for love. Unfortunately there were some inappropriate things in it, but it shows you the consequences of different choices.
Amber
This was a pretty good book! The only thing was the main character annoyed me so terribly bad! All she did was talk about boyfriends and she treated her best friend horribly!
  • The Loser's Guide to Life and Love
  • The Sweetness of Salt
  • Little Blog on the Prairie
  • Sketchy Behavior
  • Donut Days
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • The Not Quite Perfect Boyfriend
  • Slept Away
  • Oblivion Road
  • Scrambled Eggs at Midnight
  • Echo
A professional writer for over 20 years, Dandi Daley Mackall has written dozens of articles for popular magazines and published around 400 books for children and adults alike, with sales of over 4 million.
A frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, she lives in rural Ohio with her husband, three children, horses, dogs, & cats.
More about Dandi Daley Mackall...
Wild Thing (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #1) The Silence of Murder Crazy in Love Eager Star (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #2) Bold Beauty (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #3)