Start by marking “Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)” as Want to Read:
Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)

Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time #18)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,029 Ratings  ·  373 Reviews
"ONCE UPON A TIME" IS TIMELESS

When a storm brings the dashing Prince Richard to her family's farm, Violet falls in love at first sight. Richard also gives Violet his heart, but he knows his marriage is destined to be an affair of state, not of passion. For the king and queen have devised a contest to determine who will win their son's hand in marriage.

To be reunited with h
Published February 23rd 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published February 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Violet Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet Eyes

The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron DokeyBefore Midnight by Cameron DokeySnow by Tracy LynnMidnight Pearls by Debbie ViguiéViolet Eyes by Debbie Viguié
Once Upon a Time Series
5th out of 21 books — 254 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
139th out of 1,895 books — 7,741 voters

More lists with this book...

Marianna
Oct 19, 2010 Marianna rated it it was ok
OMG! The silliest book I have read this year. And not in a good way folks. I am never a fan of books that basically tell their readers that both cheating and self mutilation are okay.

Review also on my blog Books and Circuses.

Well, I have been disappointed with a lot of the books in this series. There are actually authors I avoid. And I love fairy tales! So of course I am frustrated when I don't like what they've done with the old versions. Sadly this book did nothing to bolster my opinion of the
Cara
Jan 19, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2010, fairy-tales
Out of all the fairy tales the story of the Princess and the Pea doesn't get too much limelight and I was curious to see what the retellings could make of it.

Violet is a farmgirl through and through. She is happy but lately she's been feeling unsettled. Especially this time since another storm is coming. The coming of a storm has always brought a dramatic change in her life and this last one will be no different.

Violet and Prince Richard will have their fateful meeting in one of these storms. R
Anne Osterlund
Sep 18, 2010 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it
Violet is a farm girl. With callused hands and a knack for pie baking. Not exactly your prime candidate for the Most Sensitive Princess Award. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what it’s going to take to marry Prince Richard, with whom she happens to have fallen in love. And Violet can’t allow him to become entrapped by the beautifully evil princess of the neighboring kingdom.

Even if that means—sigh—Violet will have to pretend to be in absolute agony over losing a single hair torn from her hard head
Valerie
Jun 26, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
I never really thought much of the Princess and the Pea but I thought this was a great take on the tale. I finished it in one night which is partly because it's short but partly because I liked reading it so much.

The romance in the story starts almost right way, I would say it starts too fast but it is a short read so it fits in just fine. I thought some of the lines Violet and Prince Richard said were a bit cheesy like, "You have bewitched me," and "I would move heaven and earth for you," (can
Lexie
Mar 13, 2016 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt this is one of my favorite 'Once Upon a Time' books in a long time. This isn't to say I haven't enjoyed the more recent books (The Diamond Secret or The Rose Bride), but they didn't grab me quite as much as some of the earlier books (The Storyteller's Daughter or The Midnight Dance). Often I think the problem rested on the fact that the novel didn't stay as true to the original tale as I perhaps wanted it to.

Violet Eyes more than makes up for those that strayed. Viguie managed to
snowplum
Jan 19, 2015 snowplum rated it it was ok
This is a story from the Once Upon a Time collection of revisionist fairy tales which is significantly simpler and more juvenile than some of the others (I'm thinking in particular of the more sophisticated works by Cameron Dokey). It's very loosely based on The Princess and the Pea, and features a number of princesses competing in a series of "sensitivity tests" to win the hand of Prince Richard -- who is already in love with one particular girl, Violet, who has entered the contest, determined ...more
Amy
May 14, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it
Such a bummer, really. I was really looking forward to reading a re-telling of my favorite fairy tale, but it wasn't...good. The characters were inch deep, their drama predictable, and the story itself not fleshed out well at all. I mean, what kind of daughter leaves a dying mother because the woman tells her she MIGHT be a princess to go moon after a guy she's known for like a day? And what's with said guy being able and strong to do all that after a fever that nearly killed him? And the wild, ...more
Bridgett
Mar 02, 2010 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, based on The Princess and the Pea, though I'm partial to fairy tale retellings. I liked how the tests weren't really about physical sensitivity, but more important good qualities to possess.
Miss Clark
Jul 25, 2010 Miss Clark rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fairytale Fans
Elevetha
Oct 02, 2012 Elevetha rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
It was enjoyable to read but nothing stellar. The characters were under developed. Side characters were far more interesting than the main ones. The romance felt rushed. Love at first sight

description

and then on to the palace and the tests and then the end where love conquers all. I liked that she wasn't actually a princess but it did annoy me that they were willing to cheat on the tests. That never fit into the version of the story in my head. Overall, it was a okay retelling of a classic fairytale.
Cheryl
Jun 28, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I like this 'series,' particularly the ones by Cameron Dokey. But this particular one is ridiculous. Some concepts are interesting, and I won't say that the author spoiled one of my very favorite fairy tales. But the working out of the ideas and the writing style are atrocious. Sorry, but they are. Read Amy's review for details: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Anna Marie
Nov 22, 2013 Anna Marie rated it really liked it
This is a re-telling of 'The Princess and the Pea'... which I hadn't realized was a 'May the odds be ever in your favor' story, but apparently it's THE ORIGINAL odds-in-your-favor story. Princesses competing for the hand of the prince. This is what 'The Elite' was stolen from (that, and the dystopian part was from Hunger Games, natch.).

Violet grew up on a farm, had a simple life until a prince's horse slips in a storm and the prince hits his head and has a little layover at her house. There she
Dixie A.
Feb 06, 2015 Dixie A. rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a re-imagining of the fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea. Only with twists. There is indeed a competition of princesses vying to see who gets to marry a prince, and a pea is involved, but that's about as much resemblance as this story has to the tale.

The heroine is a farm girl whose family takes the prince in after he has a horse riding accident on their farm. In a short span of time, they fall in love. (I found their supposed love to be the shallowest, most unbelievable part of the st
Lola  Reviewer
Jun 26, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this short book. When I discovered this series called ''Once Upon a Time Fairytales'', I immediately felt like being in wonderland. I mean, a complete series of retellings? YES, please. So I bought this book along with Wild Orchid which I have yet to read but look very forward to.

I recommend Violet Eyes to everyone looking for a simple yet beautiful story with charming and endearing characters!

Happy reading!
Melanie
Apr 30, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story! I loved all the tests the princesses had to go through and the characters. The romance happened a little quickly, but it is a fairytale and that happens a lot in the genre. A very fun read!
Reggie
May 27, 2014 Reggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: feminist romance readers, fairytale lovers
I devoured this book in three sittings, all in one day. It's rare that a book can capture me that quickly or intensely, but the romance and strength of the characters was truly a wonderful read. Not only did it offer a twist on the traditional fairytale, but it was an incredibly feminist novel. And by that I mean that ALL of the female characters had a variety of traits, and while one obviously one the contest, it was made clear that all of the different histories and weaknesses of the other wom ...more
Bonnie
Oct 19, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok
I'm really falling out of love with the Once Upon a Time series. None of the books that have come out recently have been very good, and nothing nearly as great as Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty", which was what got me hooked on this series in the first place.

Pros: I don't think I've read another Princess and the Pea retelling, so points for taking such a minor fairy tale and turning it into a book. It was WAY better than the Cheesy Monster Movie It's So Bad It's Hilarious feel of
Briana
Jul 22, 2012 Briana rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
I knew as soon as I read the opening sentence that something was wrong with the writing. I don't often come across books like this, but then I try to read high-quality books. I'm a fan of the "Once Upon Time" series, but I've learned that different authors write them, so you have to be careful of which retelling you choose.

I kept thinking as I was reading, this is printed? The writing seemed more like a fluffy fanfiction then a novel.

I had to force myself to keep reading awhile, mostly to see if
Bridget Little
Jul 30, 2015 Bridget Little rated it did not like it
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
Not my favorite of Debbie Viguié's "Once Upon A Times" but nevertheless decent. I disliked the deficit of any affection between Violet and her parents - She's leaving her ailing mother...and rides off into the storm with nary a word? I felt there could unequivocally be at least a mention of emotion!
The best relationship I believe, was not the one between Richard and Violet, but Violet's friendship with Genevieve - Richard and Violet was hardly stirring.
Oh. Yes, I am reminded of this. Evidently R
Cloe
Aug 05, 2015 Cloe rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful retelling of the Princess and the Pea. It's one of the less commonly retold stories, and I loved this one. It reminded me of the Selection because of how the princesses had to pass a series of tests in order to win. I loved the idea of a test behind a test. A lot of the princesses were pathetic and delicate, and it frustrated me at times. I really liked Violet and Arianne. They're awesome.
~♥Alyssa♥~
Feb 12, 2011 ~♥Alyssa♥~ rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
Eh. I love fairy tales and retellings, but I would've liked this more five years ago. The plot (as far as the "retelling" goes) is ok, the characters are alright, and the writing was nothing special. It's pretty cliche and a tad predictable, but it was still cute. If nothing else, it was entertaining to read. Every now and then everyone needs to read an easy book with a princess and a prince and a happily ever after. So I'd say go ahead and read it if you need a book and have some time to kill. ...more
Michaela
Dec 01, 2015 Michaela rated it liked it

Bibliographic Information
ISBN: 1416986766
Title: Violet Eyes
Author: Debbie Viguié
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: February 23, 2010

Violet is a simple farm girl who has spent her entire life living on her family farm. One night during a terrible storm, an injured man named Richard comes to their farm seeking shelter. Violet helps nurse him back to health, and when Richard is better, he reveals he is the Prince. While Richard was sick, Violet couldn’t help but fall in love with him. However,
Tristine Barth
Jan 13, 2016 Tristine Barth rated it liked it
Shelves: books-1-10
Violet was raised on a farm and everything seemed a bit dull for her until an injured stranger shows up claiming that he is the prince. Violet's life seems to be foreshadowed with storms whenever something big happens, and the night of the prince's arrival comes with both a storm and relationship that will change her forever. Violet finds that she must enter what seems like a silly contest to win the prince's hand, but will she win?

This book is a page turner because I wanted to know what challen
Clark
Aug 27, 2015 Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was a lovely little story. I sort of already predicted what would happen but I still enjoyed reading about Violet's journey towards the crown. I'm glad that the king and queen were not evil people and in the end, they were willing to accept Violet as the rightful heiress to the throne.

I'm just concerned that they were wble to believe that Violet is the missing princess. It was WAY too easy. I wish Violet had this necklace or something, that the princess had when it disappeared, to prove that
Hannah Renee
Probably one of the worst written Once Upon a Time series books I've read. The author wrote another one called Midnight Pearls, a retelling of the Little Mermaid, but I don't remember much of it; but this one was very badly written. The only thing that was good about it was that I wanted to keep reading simply to see what the tests would be...
Erica (daydreamer)
Violet Eyes was really cute. Silly and kind of dumb, but cute. It's not one of my favorite Once Upon a Time books, but I still really liked it. It's short and sweet. I read it in a couple of hours; it was a nice little escape into a beautiful romantic fairytale.

Ashley Cael
Review originally published at Worlds Abound

I didn't like this book. It could have been worse, but it was still pretty bad. Violet is kind of ok, I guess? I just didn't care about her or her struggle at all. I found her relationship with Richard unrealistic and seriously, she just HAPPENED to be a princess when it was convenient for her to be one?

I'm not even going to spend much time writing this, there was nothing memorable about it and I'm positive I will be donating it at the first opportuni
Lisa
Apr 25, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this re-telling of "the Princess and The Pea"...quite a fun read. I really like this Debbie Viguie...must find more by her.
Cindy
Nov 07, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Really sweet retailing of the princess and the Pea. I really enjoyed it!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 09, 2015 06:00PM
  • The World Above
  • The Diamond Secret (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Princess of Glass (Princess, #2)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
Debbie Viguié is the New York Times Bestselling author of more than three dozen novels including the Wicked series co-authored with Nancy Holder. In addition to her epic dark fantasy work Debbie also writes thrillers including The Psalm 23 Mysteries, the Kiss trilogy, and the Witch Hunt trilogy. Debbie also plays a recurring character on the audio drama, Doctor Geek’s Laboratory. When Debbie isn’t ...more
More about Debbie Viguié...

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights (Once Upon a Time #1)
  • Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute
  • Spirited
  • The Night Dance : A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Golden
  • Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)