Start by marking “Comfort and Joy” as Want to Read:
Comfort and Joy

Comfort and Joy

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  5,927 ratings  ·  753 reviews

New York Times bestselling author Kristin Hannah is beloved by readers around the world for her unique blend of powerful emotion and exquisite storytelling. In Comfort & Joy, she offers a modern-day fairy tale—the story of a woman who gets a miraculous chance at happiness.

Joy Candellaro once loved Christmas more than any other time of the year. Now, as the holiday app

Published (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Comfort and Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comfort and Joy

Sharon
Joy Candellaro is a high school Librarian and use to love the Christmas season. That was until one day when she came home to find her husband in bed with her sister. Seeing as her marriage is falling apart Joy decides it's time to take a holiday. So Joy heads for the airport and hops on a plane that is going to Hope. Joy thinks that having time away from her problems will be the best thing for her.

But tragedy strikes and the plane she is on ends up crashing. The plane crashes in the forest and a
Virginia
Alleluialu
This book was really good! I know, it's a romance novel -- a Christmas romance novel to boot, but it was really good. I started it last evening and finished it today. It's the story of Joy, a high-school librarian who's marriage has collapsed into divorce because her husband was sleeping with her sister. Definitely a tragic start for a Christmas novel. Then, after leaving her sister in her driveway, she drives to the airport and on a whim buys a ticket for Hope in Canada. The plane crashes -- ye ...more
Lisa
I know several Kristin Hannah fans. They tell me how good she is at writing about relationships. Perhaps, but I didn't find out reading Comfort & Joy because it definitely didn't pass my 50 page rule. There were so many implausible things that happened in the first few chapters, I knew I wouldn't find any joy in reading the rest of the book.

About the whole plane crash thing... Joy describes in great detail what's happening during the crash--the horrible sounds, being thrashed about in the c
Jaclyn
I picked this book up on a whim at the library b/c I was looking for a heart-warming Christmas story. In Comfort & Joy I definitely found it. Since I already like Kristin Hannah, and I wanted a Christmas story, I didn't read any reviews on this book before hand and had no idea what to expect. I'm glad I didn't read any before hand though b/c I had no expectations other than heart-warming, and in that this book delivered.

The twist in the middle threw me a bit - I never saw it coming at all -
Crista
This is my first experience reading a book by Kristin Hannah. My mother-in-law swears by this author so when my book club decided on this book for our December read, I was very excited to give her a try. This book would go into my "so-so" shelf (it I had one)!

Parts were really great, but overall it was a very average read for me. The romance is SEVERELY underdeveloped to the point that I wouldn't even consider this a romance. It does involve a cute little boy, a plane crash, and a fairly likable
Erin
This was a story about a woman who's sister betrays her by first sleeping with, than marrying & getting pregnant with her husband's baby. The woman decides to run away and takes an impromptu flight which then crashes. What happens afterwords is a bit bizarre...
Pam
Sappy, simple, and a total waste of both hours it took to read. But I repeated my mantra...I love my book clubbies, I love my book clubbies... and plowed through it. Now onto something with multi-syllabic words.
Stephany G
Janelle
What a surprise this book turned out to be. It is so not what I expected out of Kristin Hannah!

I just read someone elses review stating that they couldn't get past 50 pages. If I wasn't such a huge Kristin Hannah fan I may have abandoned it as well. Boy am I glad I didn't.

Initially I felt really disappointed in her story, it just wasn't her normal beautiful, deep story that all of her others are. It felt cheap, short and awkward. It didn't add up to me at all. However, when I got two thirds of t
Tonya
Kristin Hannah is a master storyteller. Joy was married to a man named Thom and thought she had a pretty good life until one day she walked in on her sister and Thom. Ever since then her world hasn't been the same. Now one year later, coming close to Christmas, her sister tells her that they are getting married and she is pregnant.

Joy has always wanted to travel, so she gets in her car, drives to the airport and gets a ticket for the first place she can. However, they never reach their destinat
Tara
for book club--bleh.
It was sweet, I'll give it that and the plane crash scene was pretty good. The premise was soooo out there. The connection between Joy and Daniel just weird. I don't know, I read it in a day, skimmed through several sections and felt it was a waste of my time.
Shannon
I read this book for my library's book club. A librarian is in a plane crash and her sister slept with her husband. That's all you need to know. Save yourself the time.
Lindsay
Delicious Strawberry
If I find this enjoyable, why only three stars? Well, the book starts off with a fantastic premise that should interest most readers. Joy's sister slept with her ex-husband, whoops, and then Sis invites Joy to her wedding. Feeling pretty terrible (as you can imagine) Joy decides to 'run away' and has quite the experience that readers should enjoy reading about. I know I did. Yes, it requires a slight suspension of belief, but it was still fun to read. Then, bam! There's a pretty big surprise at ...more
Jennefer
I will start by saying I am a HUGE fan of Kristin Hannah and pretty much
anything she writes I LOVE!!! This is a heart warming story just perfect
to read around this time of year.

We are introduced to the main character, Joy Candellaro, she is recently
separated from her husband. Joy used to LOVE the Christmas season until
the day she returned home to find her husband and her sister together in
bed! Joy is not feeling very happy about life in general any longer for
obvious reasons, and isn't looking fo
Brandy
I really liked the story. I guess I'm just use to more information and more detail, or maybe I'm just use to a longer book. I love the magic she brought into this story, and is the first I've read by her that has, but I've only read 4 or 5. Believable? No. But that's one of the wonderful things about reading.... They don't have to be and some of the best books are unbelievable or could never really happen,give me the what If's and the "wow if only it could b's" the fact you can go anywhere and d ...more
Stephanie
This is the first book I've read by Kristin Hannah, I enjoyed it. And in reading the reviews, this may have not been her best???

It took me a little while to understand what was happening, but a few pages after the plane crash with things just not quite making sense and then I had the "A-HA moment, I know what's going on!!" and once I realized what was going on, it made more sense. :)

I found the writing to be extremely easy to read, flowed really well, it was a fairly quick read for me - 2 eveni
Sarah D. Cushman
This is a very strange book

I absolutely love Kristin Hannah and have read at least 10 of her books. This book is an easy read and enjoyable but the second half is just bizarre. Good and bizarre. Nothing like the other books I've read from Kristin Hannah. Read it and you'll know what I mean :)
Sara Narrow-LaPoint
I really liked the magic of this story. I don't want to say too much about that for fear of ruining it for someone else, but I will say that you must stick with the book until the end. There were some things that bothered me about this book. The biggest problem was why Bobby, who was supposed to be 8 or 9, didn't even know his sight words enough to read Dr. Seuss beginning readers. Also, why did he act and talk so young. If they hadn't given his age I would've guessed he was 5 or maybe 6. The se ...more
Susan Heath
really good premise, loved the way it was laid out and the ending
Melissa

I have really loved a few of Kristin Hannah's other books, but this one was a little too predictable for me and the "magic" was a little over the top.
Danielle
I saw this on the library shelf several times (I'm a pretty big Kristin Hannah fan), but because it is a Christmas story, avoided it as I do not celebrate Christmas and I figured I wouldn't be able to relate to this novel. However, I am looking for new books to read and checked out the sample chapter on Kristin Hannah's website and was interested enough to finally read this.

Joy Candellaro is a divorced California high school librarian whose sister is now in a relationship with her ex-husband Th
Brenda
I picked up this book because my friend was done reading it and I have enjoyed this author in the past. The story was different because one character was a ghost for part of the story. The author challenged the reader to really believe in miracles or to stop reading. I found the twists and turns in this book to be really interesting and they challenged me to keep reading. I am glad this author does not follow the same outline for each story that she writes.
Renee
This book was, overall, a good, quick read. However, the ending felt rushed. This has been my least favorite of Kristen Hannah's books. I was quite disappointed by the unfinished ending. Also, there wasn't much character development on the leading male. I wouldn't have placed this in the romance category as there weren't any romantic scenes or connections. The book was more about a woman finding herself and growing to care for a boy and his father.
Susan
This is a wonderful book! Don't believe the other negative reviews, which almost made me toss this aside. A beautifully written short novel about letting go of grudges, believing in magic and following your heart. Although this isn't the traditional Christmas snow and mistletoe book, it is appropriate for a deeper meaning of the holiday.

Joy Faith the main character has had a bad year. She finds her sister, who was her best friend in life, in bed with her husband. She is divorced now, hoping tha
Hannah
This was an interesting and very unusual book...the closest comparison plotwise I can think of is the Sandra Bullock movie "The Lake House". I love Kristin Hannah's style of writing, how her words invite the reader into the story and right into the middle of the character's life.

The story is a sweet, innocent romance, a woman learning the true value of a currently-broken relationship with her sister while bonding with a lonely little boy who has recently lost his mother. I always love finding m
Heather
In the beginning of Kristen Hannah's book Comfort and Joy, Joy is going through a trying time. Her husband has fallen in love with someone else and because of coming home early from work one evening Joy knows just who it is. Her world is crumbling right at Christmas and all the festivities just make her heart ache more.
For most of her adult life Joy has dreamed of seeing far off lands. She collects clippings from newspapers and magazines of amazing spots she would love to visit one day. While sh
Angie
Oct 18, 2009 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that wants to learn forgiveness
Shelves: audiobooks, chick-lit
This was a feel good story about love and loss and finding out who you truly are. It begins with Joy, a high school librarian who just found out her sister and husband are having an affair. She jumps on a plane gets into a crash and discovers a whole new world with a new "family". She learns a great deal about love and forgiveness. I think everyone that loves magic and the wonders of Christmas should read this book.
Paige
I enjoyed reading my first Kristin Hannah book, a prolific "Womens Fiction" author as she was described on the book jacket. She has an easy-to-read writing style so I finished the book very quickly during the holidays. This story has an imaginative plot-twist that could be considered too fantastic but she weaves the tale well enough that you want to believe it could all come true. Lovely characters.
Cozy Chair Book Club: Comfort & Joy 2 3 Sep 11, 2014 08:51AM
  • With Love
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Snow Globe
  • There's Something About Christmas
  • Silver Bells
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #7)
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • Lost December
  • Holiday Magic
  • Christmas Keepsakes
  • Home in Time for Christmas
  • 'Tis The Season
Kristin Hannah is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-one novels, including the blockbuster Firefly Lane and #1 bestsellers Night Road and Home Front. She is a former lawyer turned writer and is the mother of one son. She lives in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii with her husband.
More about Kristin Hannah...
Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) Winter Garden Night Road Home Front True Colors

“Stacey: "I'm surprised you haven't thrown me out."

Comfort: "At your current weight, I'd need some sort of catapult.”
7 likes
“Those are exactly the kind of memories I try to avoid, but they're like abestos: invisible and deadly. You need special gear to get rid of them.” 3 likes