The Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness

The Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  3,359 ratings  ·  129 reviews
Salespeople hate to read. That's why Little Red Book of Selling is short, sweet, and to the point. It's packed with answers that people are searching for in order to help them make sales for the moment--and the rest of their lives.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Red Book of Selling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Book of Selling

Gil
I was so embarrassed at how hokey this book was that I almost didn't include it in my goodreads reviews. Then I decided to do so, just to blast it. I'm so sick of good salesman writing really poorly written books. Maybe I'm not the right guy for books such as this, but its just unprofessional. I'm trying to think of the demographic that Gitomer was trying to target with his gimmicky salesy approaches...Amway salesman? Multi-level Marketing salesman? I hope I can get more than a buck for this whe...more
Glen Babington
The little Red Book of Selling- Jeffrey Gitomer

Www.gitomer.com

Difference between failure and success in the sales:
• Believe you can
• Create the environment
• Have the right associations
• Expose yourself to what's new
• Plan for the day -know your plans and goals
• Become valuable - become known as a resource not a sales person
• Flowe the answers your prospects and customers need
• Recognize and take advantage of opportunity
• Take responsibility
• Take action
• Make mistakes
• willing to ri...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review
Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer

If you are going to ask me to evaluate Jeffrey Gitomer, let me tell you point blank
the review will not be fair.

Why?

I worship the ground on which Jeffrey Gitomer walks.
In my eyes, he is truly the essence of what a true trainer, educator and mentor should be. Not only is he to the point, he bashes you up with not-so-formal quotes that would wake you up from your sleep and then slap you with the reality of what the art of sale...more
Jason
After reading some of the other reviews here on Goodreads, I noticed that many either love or hate this book. I guess, that is true in most areas of life.

As for me, I really enjoyed this book. I found it on sale at a local used book store and couldn't resist purchasing it. I am truly glad that I read through it. I do feel that I will keep it on my shelf and pick up from time to time for years to come. The style of writing was very conversational and truly motivated me to learn more and pursue s...more
Selia
Определено има какво да се научи от тази книга. Написана в напълно разбираем стил автора дава идеи които могат да се приложат в съвременния бизнес. Давам тази висока оценка най-вече за това че успява успешно да си развива бизнеса благодарение на хората като нас които искат да бъдат добри търговци.
Andrew
This was a great read. Gitomer writes an easy to understand manual on sales and what you need to do to be the best.

One thing I had to get beyond is the style the book is written in, which sort of looks like one of those sprawling, hokey internet ads. Still, when I got around the presentation and into the meat of the material, I found there was a tremendous amount of value in the book.

Two things about the binding. First, Gitomer included a built in ribbon bookmark- which I adore. Unfortunately,...more
Carlos Rendon
My favorite part of this book talks about how a lifestyle comes to be. You can think of your lifestyle as the sum of your actions.

Philosophy drives your attitude, which drives your actions, which in turn produce your lifestyle. If you don't like your lifestyle you should not just consider your actions but also your attitude and philosophy. If your philosophy is poor you will have a poor attitude and you will take poor actions and end up with a poor lifestyle.

I also like the Jeffrey is fully awar...more
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
Make that: Currently Re-Reading! It's so good, I've got to listen again!

Eeeeesh...a little harsh, but what the heck? It's great advice! You know, you've probably heard all of this before, however, if you're a life long learner like me, you seek to relearn and enforce concepts from a variety of sources. The guy's pretty entertaining as well.
Read it twice. Really great the second time since I'm accustomed to his style of speaking and emphasis on the important stuff. He is really right on. You just...more
Molly
Feb 08, 2008 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in Sales
Mr. Gitomer is probably one of the best sale people AND motivational leaders writing books today. I bought this book because it looked good and I am always looking for little tidbits of information to share with the sales people I work with...because I have told myself for years I am NOT a salesperson.

By the time I was done reading this book I was ready to hit the bricks and show people how it was done. VERY MOTIVATIONAL!

I think this book is a great kick in the pants for anyone who thinks that t...more
Kali
I disliked Jeffrey Gitomer's book 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness. The content itself is solid. Gitomer's advice is very good but his delivery leaves much to be desired. I have a hard time believing that the word "puke" comes out of the mouths of most professional business people. Gitomer also has quite a large ego and takes every opportunity to brag about his life. Many self help authors use stories in their own lives to tell stories, but I have never rolled my eyes while reading a book. It...more
Natalie W
This book is great. Against every bone in my body, I'm leaving it unfinished. You say, "Why? After all, you gave it 5 stars!" I know. But I'm not in sales at the moment.

This book provides TONS of techniques, tricks, and resources for selling. I've already used several of the suggestions for personal networking and when helping a friend get their business off the ground.

If you are in sales, this should absolutely be in your repertoire. I have a feeling it will be an indespensible reference tool...more
Aubrey
I worked through this slowly so as to absorb as much as possible. There are some aspects that irk me (the fact that every list ends in .5 would be the most irritating for me), but despite the over-the-top attitude and constant "if you're not good it's your own fault" chatter, I'm finding this book to be tremendously helpful and eye-opening. I borrowed this one from a friend, and will be buying it for myself; any time I find myself losing focus or drive, I read a few pages and am re-energized.
Adra
There are so many tips on improving your sales game in this little red book that I don't know where to start with this review. From the self evaluation quiz,to the do's and don'ts of sales, Gitomer provides and hits all aspects needed and necessary for anyone to perfect their sales strategies. This easy to read book is one that all entrepreneurs should have on their shelves.

Adra Young
Author of: The Everyday Living of Children & Teens Monologues Comment
Ron Graham
This isn't just a book one reads. It's a book one carries around as a reference, like a dictionary.

Especially if you're like me, learning the art of sales in the second half of my life - had I been smart, I would've learned how to sell while I was in college. Because in this society, in this economy, everyone's selling. Those of us who can't or won't figure out how will lag behind. This is the kind of information that can get even a guy like me selling.
John Hartness
One of the best books on sales I've ever read. No matter where you are in your sales career, this book has something that you can take away from it. I love Gitomer's conversational style, and his statement early on that you should read the book several times is true.

I highly recommend it for all salespeople, sales managers, and the back of the toilet in every sales office (except for my competitors, none of them should ever read this book!)
Wes Ramm
I get the criticisms that you see on the page here.. Gitomer does come across as a bit flippant. HOWEVER, if you can adjust to the disjointed style of the narrative, there is a theme in each chapter, and the lessons flow pretty well.

You'll look at some of the stuff and say "well, DUH!", until you realize that you aren't doing it.

I'll give it a solid 4. I've already implemented 3 suggestions, and I am not even half way through.

W
Linda
May 07, 2010 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in sales
Shelves: business, favorites
Great book on what you need to do to improve your ability to sell.

Principles of life-long learning:
Start with a positive attitude
Listen to Audio tapes
Read books
Attend live seminars
Spend 30 minutes a day learning something new
Practice what you've learned as soon as you learn it

and I loved the quote "Remember, you can't just waltz in and sell something-first you've got to lick his face for a few minutes"
Steve
A lot of information in a short book. Like most books in this category there is not much new here, but Gitomer even says up front that he is not presenting anything new, just his straightforward take on the advice that is already out there. Good strategies for anyone selling anything be it product or service. Easy to read language and short digestible snippets of information made this a worthwhile read.
Lana Cook
Gitomer continues to impress me with his witty knowledge and savvyness. The dude knows how to sell. And in reading this book, he has convinced me, that with the right attitude, work ethic, toolkit and dogged determination ANYONE can sell. Even my kids! A little disappointing was the fact that an entire chapter was practically verbatim for the Little Black Book of Networking.
Nikolay Mollov
Тази книга е наркотик – позитивна фиксация, дори само от няколко странички разпалва и преобразява мисленето. И не става въпрос просто за някакви си продажби. Позитивната нагласа е ключът към всякакви успехи. Ако знаеш други книги, които са ти подействали по подобен начин – сравни ги с тази, веднага, наистина го направи!

Възпламеняващ жарта на ентусиазма, Джефри Гитомър е от онези свестни и позитивни хора, онези с невероятното чувство за хумор и харизма, от които няма да чуеш как да манипулираш и...more
Brandi
This book has some okay tips on networking and risk management. However, the language can be somewhat unprofessional at times. It also completely dismisses support staff, which can be a huge mistake in sales. It's also a very self-congratulatory text. The author thinks highly of himself, I get it. He should reconsider his own advice on arrogance.
Kevin
Jeffrey's book was easy to read. You find that you can apply his practices and priciples into everyday business. Mixes in humor with a lot of practical and common sense. during and after reading his book I saw a definate increase in my productivity and sales performance. Maybe because it kept everything top of mind but what ever it was it worked.
Sandra Kerr
I carry this book around with me almost all the time. I love Jeffrey's short and to the point style. It allows for quick bursts of reading. I can be sitting in a waiting room, pull it out and randomly open it - and get a reminder of a new idea to use in my business. I continue to add to my collection with other books of his as well.
Richard
Sure, this guy has sold more stuff than I have. But I don't find anything here backed up by any evidence, what there is is anecdotal. Also he keeps hinting that you have to go to his webpage to learn more. Ah ha, trying to make that web sale I guess. In all, I think he knows how to sell (books too), but he doesn't know how to educate.
Shannon Kempenich
Jan 26, 2008 Shannon Kempenich rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Awesome, even for someone not in selling. If you haven't realized yet, you are probably in sales, whether your job title says it or not. If you are a doctor you sell a certain prescription, if you are a teacher you sell a subject, if you meet someone new you sell yourself. That is why you should read this book.
Harlan Goerger
Apr 19, 2008 Harlan Goerger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: an
Gittomer gets in your face once more. Right to the core in quick language and examples, there is not doubt about his message.

If your in sales or customer service this material will set your straight, give you a direct message and move your performance forward.

No fluff, just proven stuff that works.
Suzanne
When working in consultative sales, I found myself going back to this book often to get inspired. The principles really do make a difference, as I found after a day of selling. I keep it handy.. and recommend it for anyone who has an open mind and wants to improve their selling skills.

Prashanth Siddalingaiah
This is a quick guide to sales. I like the no excuse attitude of his work. First book I read for my job. I keep it around. To get a quick slap in the face to get out of my slump on those slow days. It is not THE book of sales but one that you can refer to light a fire under you seat!
Douglas
Aug 15, 2007 Douglas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sales People
Shelves: sales
My second book in my weekly Sale book ritual. Some great tips on how to become a better sales person and overall a great way to generate new ideas on my sales approach. I am starting to become a nut and gobbleup everything I can about being a better salesman.

A definite must read.
Robert
A great book held back only by its writing style (sorry Jeff, you still need work). Spends more time on improving attitude than traditional sales techniques, but more salesmen could do with an attitude adjustment. Accessible, funny, and worth every minute of your time.
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Spin Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Your Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Psychology of Selling: How to Sell More, Easier, and Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Growing a Business
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • How to Master the Art of Selling
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Age of Unreason
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
AUTHOR.
Jeffrey Gitomer is the author of The New York Times best sellers The Sales Bible, The Little Red Book of Selling, The Little Black Book of Connections, and The Little Gold Book of YES! Attitude. All of his books have been number one best sellers on Amazon.com, including Customer Satisfaction is Worthless, Customer Loyalty is Priceless, The Patterson Principles of Selling, The Little Red Bo...more
More about Jeffrey Gitomer...
The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude: How to Find, Build and Keep a Yes! Attitude for a Lifetime of Success Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Red Book of Sales Answers: 99.5 Real World Answers That Make Sense, Make Sales, and Make Money