Start by marking “Getting Over Jack Wagner” as Want to Read:
Getting Over Jack Wagner

Getting Over Jack Wagner

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  482 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Where are all the real rock stars?
Eliza is looking to date a rock star -- though she uses the term loosely. None of her boyfriends have been famous. Most have unbearable habits and overbearing mothers. A few only played show tunes. Still, they're intense. Pierced. Tragically stubbled. With a predilection for dressing in black. Eliza finds them deep -- in theory, anyway
Published (first published March 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Over Jack Wagner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Over Jack Wagner

Jadine
Apr 12, 2008 Jadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book just fine. Another chick-lit about a girl you're sure you know and friends you are sure would like. Alot of it was reminiscing about the 80's and I liked those parts the best.
Marsha
Almost agonizingly honest, Getting over Jack Wagner reads like an intimate diary of a woman’s foray from childhood through adolescence to adulthood. The silly crushes, the passionate misplaced love affairs, the embarrassing hairstyles, clothing, musical genres, etc.—they’re all here. It’s not juvenile (all right, maybe it is) but it’s juvenilia all women of a certain age can relate to and that makes it funny, moving, intimate and oh so delicious to read.

This is unabashed chick lit, with the male
Howard
MaryAnn
Jul 22, 2009 MaryAnn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a disappointing book about a twenty something who gives twenty somethings a bad name. Self absorbed, rather grim and nasty Eliza has a penchant for dating rock stars or potential rock stars then dumping them when their humanity is revealed. i.e. one takes her home to meet mom who "grooms him" picking lint off of his person and his beard while he does nothing about it. This is a major offense. What?

I am tired of books that think it is clever to picture various characters as types, vague
Bonnie
Apr 03, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy chick lit, nothing amazing, but enjoyable. Eliza is a 20-something single woman intent on dating rock stars and only rock stars. The title is what grabbed me since I was a Jack Wagner fan in high school (went to see him in concert not once but twice!). The first person story is "semi-autobiographical" the author says, "Like many things in fiction, they have their roots in real life and are then exaggerated, intensified, taken to the extreme." With her polar opposite best friends (Hannah, ...more
V
Jan 14, 2016 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny - one of the best parts for me was the reference to that MASH game we used to play (where you'd end up living in Paris with 14 kids married to Leif Garret and living in a shack). Lots of nostalgia and laughs. The book sort of fell apart about 3/4 through, as did the main character. However, I would still recommend the read, if for the memories alone.
Shelley Jones
Not a bad read. I did laugh out loud a couple of times, especially when Eliza locks herself up in her apartment for 2 weeks and invents a boyfriend. It was a quick easy book - the kind I like to call "candy". Not increasing my thoughts, mind or intelligence at all, but hey.......does every book have to be so serious? Read in one day.
Dee
Feb 23, 2016 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, not for the plot or the characters, but for the way the author plays with words, for being able to recapture a moment from the 80's with a phrase, and for the annoyance the main character feels with an improper possessive on a store sign. It made me laugh!
Betty Time
Feb 02, 2015 Betty Time rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! It's a light/funny read about a woman who only dates rockstars. The cool thing about it is in the book, the main character Eliza is writing a book about dating rockstars and her idea is to have a mixtape/playlist at the beginning of each chapter that goes along with what's happening in that chapter and the author, Elise Juska, does that in "getting over Jack Wagner".
Michele Bolay
Aug 25, 2014 Michele Bolay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because this came out in the 90s and has a contemporary, urban, single female protagonist it got lumped in with "chick lit." It is that, but it also more than that. Juska writes really well and deserves to be considered on her own merit.
Alexis
Apr 02, 2012 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza likes to date, but when it comes to choosing who she dates, there's only one criteria: that he be a rock star. When it comes down to it, Eliza finally realizes that maybe that's her problem.

Notes: While reading, I thought this was going to be an excellent book. I was slightly disappointed by the end, but nonetheless, it was still an interesting book. Elise, unlike most Chick Lit writers, didn't do the usual cop out ending by hooking the lead character with her best guy friend in the end. I
Stephanie
Oct 25, 2014 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The main character was a bit pathetic, self absorbed and mundane. Great title - unfortunately the story does not live up to the title. Poor Jack Wagner!
Cj
Mar 18, 2014 Cj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Not quite YA fiction but definitely young. Girl finds herself when she examines past relationships. Not Juska's best.
Suzanne
Mar 30, 2007 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: single ladies
chic lit for the independent smart single girl

I probably should have saved this for "summer" reading, but it was good enough that I couldn't put it down. I don't think I expanded my brain, per se- but she totally hits the "why do I keep dating the same kind of guy over and over" theme squarely on the head. Juska is a witty writer, and her book is as often touching as it is funny. I especially love her childhood memories complete with 80s pop culture references.

I picked up this book because I fe
SK
laying on the beach in tampa... reading this book...
Leah
Apr 10, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, especially the end. Eliza just felt so real and I totally connected to her.
Natalie
Not what I expected but still a nice story.
Aileen
Apr 20, 2009 Aileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book that Karen passed on to me last Tuesday when I was being a shut-in. It's a damn riot. I always watched Jack Wagner as Frisco on General Hospital when I was a kid. In the book I love the main gal's obsession since childhood with Jack Wagner and his song "All I Need." She takes an intro college music class and notices everyone is madly scribbling in their notebooks. She assumes they're composing and so she starts writing down all the words to "All I Need" in her notebook. Too funn ...more
Michael
May 07, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing novel with solid, clear prose.
Liz
Jan 21, 2016 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok probably not worth taking the time to read it.
Lynnea
Jun 16, 2007 Lynnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, even just the title gets me. I grew up from a very young age loving Jack Wagner as Frisco on General Hospital. My mom watched the show. I was in awe of the character of Frisco, as was Liza in the story. The emotions of the story seem so real to me because of the personal connection. I didn't fall in love with wanna be Rock Stars, but I love the ideas portrayed in the book. It is a funny, almost Bridget Jones like, story telling.
Liz Crowley
Sep 26, 2007 Liz Crowley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Chic
I really liked this book- in fact I really liked her latest two books. Elisa Juska has to be around 30 b/c her main charachter in this book is very relatable to girls in their mid twenties- around the time I read this. Her main charachter struggles with her best friend getting married while she still considers herself still growing up. Really good read- would reccomend her other two books as well.
Marnie
Jan 22, 2008 Marnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Eliza was realistic & really funny, parts made me laugh out loud. I especially liked all the 80s memories. There were a couple things that the author got wrong ("Full House" took place in San Francisco, not Seattle, & "The Search is Over" is by Survivor, not Foreigner) but it was a really good story. It didnt have much of an ending, so maybe there will be a sequel?
♥ Marlene♥
On January 27th 2006 I wrote:

I have tried twice to get into this book but I failed.Yesterday I read the first 120 pages and yes I did like some parts, the stuff where she talks about her youth) other parts just bored me. So I gave up. I have so many other TBR's, and 120 pages is a good try at least.Thank you for sharing Michelle. sorry about this. Hope alsgally likes it more :-)
Nora
Jul 27, 2015 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy light read.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A bit more thoughtful than
your average chick lit.
Eliza finds herself falling
for rock stars over and over
as her friend announces her
engagement and her sister
announces her pregnancy.
Suzanne
This was a cute get-ready-for-summer read. And a chick lit rarity: a non-predictable ending (I really thought I had it pegged!). The pop culture references will definitely hook any reader in the 28-38 demographic, but without this quirky nostalgia the book would not have fared that well. Gimmicky but fun!
Peggy
Jul 14, 2009 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book received good reviews, but I personally could take it or leave it. It is the story of a twenty-something copywriter who, since adolescence, has dated one rock musician after another. Parts are funny; parts are reminiscent of my own youth, but it wasn't a book I'd recommend.
Kate
May 16, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: single ladies
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Again, another "chick lit" book, but a great read. I liked the non-linear story-telling as well as the usage of songs/music.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Unlike many pieces of "chick lit," this book did not end "happily" in the traditional way. I thought the ending was realistic and fitting.
Christy
Jun 29, 2009 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just another depressing book to add to all the others I seem to be getting hold of...some woman trying to figure out why she can't find "the one" and why she is fine just the way she is...blah blah blah. This book just depressed me.
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • The Golden Leopard
  • Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • An Invitation to Seduction (Daughters of Fortune, #4)
  • Don't Sleep With Your Drummer
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
  • Tempo Change
  • The Exes
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • The Answer Is Yes: A Novel
  • Too Much, Too Late
  • The Mottled Lizard
  • Now You See Her
200123
Elise Juska's novel The Blessings was released by Grand Central Publishing in Spring 2014. The book was selected for Barnes & Noble's Discover Great New Writers series, featured on Entertainment Weekly's "Must List," and named one of the Philadelphia Inquirer's Best Books of 2014. The paperback was released in late May 2015.

Juska's short fiction has appeared in Ploughshares, The Gettysburg Rev
More about Elise Juska...