Start by marking “And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge #4)” as Want to Read:
And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge #4)

And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  27 reviews
HEIR TO A THRONE—OR TO A GRAVE

When it became certain that Edward VI was dying, the duke of Northumberland, who had been ruling England in his name, made a plan that would let him hold onto his power. He dared not let Mary come to the throne because she was fiercely Catholic and he had espoused the Protestant cause. And he did not want Elizabeth to rule because he knew her
Mass Market Paperback, 880 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Baen (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about And Less Than Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Less Than Kind

Edward Butler
And so it ends, for now! I could certainly enjoy more books in this series, though I've addled my brains a bit reading these, but I don't know whether more are planned. There's no cliffhanger at the end of this one, and so it could go either way.

These novels--they're really just one long novel--attempt to provide a paranormal explanation for the well-beyond-normal character, capability and focus exhibited by Queen Elizabeth; this is a sufficiently unusual project, and the novels, taken cumulati
Jennifer Kyrnin
This is the fourth book in the Scepter'd Isle series, and while you don't need to have read the first three, it does help give you an overview of the characters. One nice thing is that this story is about Queen Elizabeth, and with the plethora of books and movies about her that have come out in the last ten years, the story is familiar. It's just got a Faerie twist to it. Like it explains why the "virgin queen" could remain a "virgin" and not go starkers! Not my most favorite Mercedes Lackey boo ...more
Jim
Product Description

When it became certain that Edward VI was dying, the duke of Northumberland, who had been ruling England in his name, made a plan that would let him hold onto his power. He dared not let Mary come to the throne because she was fiercely Catholic and he had espoused the Protestant cause. He did not want Elizabeth to rule because he knew her imperious nature would never defer to him. But there was more than one puppet master at work: The evil elf-lord Vidal Dhu had no intention

Kathy Davie
Fascinating to try and reconcile this fictional history with what I remember of the nonfictional one...

This series was excellent. I'd love to see Gellis and Lackey twist on other periods of history...
Mariana
A fun read mixing faeries with Queen Elizabeth I.
Tasmia
When I realized I was nearing the end of this book, I made myself slow down and parcel it out to last longer because I really didn't want it to end; I didn't want to leave the world of the story, or more accurately, to no longer have it as my downtime escape from the real world. It's that engrossing and entertaining a read, combining delicious historical politics with just enough enchantment to keep things adventurous and fresh. Gellis and Lackey create an immersive experience for the reader, ma ...more
Nick
Jul 26, 2008 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English history buffs who like fantasy
I liked this book, but found that the format limited it in many ways. In some ways this is an alternate-history-fantasy series, and sticking to the basic premise of explaining the real world by the insertion of fantastic elements gets tricky at times. Also, the running gag with the server at a certain Inn wore thin, because there's no closure to the question of him being familiar with other worlds and times. There's also no resolution to the Oberon subplot, so if the series never continues, the ...more
E.
The succession of England is about to be jeopardized by the passing of Edward VI. Will the Dark Sidhe benefit by the rule of Mary and her oppressive support of the Catholic religion or will Elizabeth have to step in and save her beloved country? Underhill is suffering from the constant turmoil and it is harder and harder for Denoriel and Rhoslyn to support Elizabeth in her struggles. Another nice chapter in the alternate history saga penned by Lackey and Gellis.
Laurie
I have a long and abiding love for Mercedes Lackey so I grabbed this book when I was in an airport and had a lack of reading material emergency. As much as it pains me, I can't really recommend this book. It is a kind of mix of historical fiction/fantasy, but mostly it is looooong. It just kept going and I didn't feel like what was happening was compelling enough to keep me interested.

So, it is ok, but really should have been shorter.
Jeremy Preacher
The conclusion to the elves-put-Elizabeth-I-on-the-throne series. It was... well, exactly that. I suppose in some ways it's nice to imagine that the Virgin Queen actually was perfectly satisfied at all times by her eternally youthful and hot elven lover.

I like these fine, although unless you're particularly into either elves or this time period they're not standouts.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This series is not an easy one to get through. There is a lot of dry political threads in both the human and fae world. There are two distinct stories which entwine and impact the other. While it was hard for me to get into the story, I'm glad I stuck with it. It's an interesting look at Elizabeth and how she came to be.
Joy
I wasn't going to stop till I finished this one: 1:38 AM, to be exact. Let me recommend this series enthusiastically to anyone who likes historical fantasy.

Book Four of my favorite Fantasy, and the second half of my Favorite Romance read of 2013
Joy
This is the latest in a series that has Henry VIII's daughter, Elizabeth with an elven lover. I love this new tread of fantasy authors creating alternative history. A fun read but I like Mercedes' creations especially her Chrome borne series with elves on motorcycles...LOL
Karen
So i just finished. It was great! I think I liked it better than the other 3 of the series. I kind of hope that they do elizabeth's reign. But they left room for the book to end here, so i don't know if they will. But I really enjoyed the book.
Toni Hambilton
This book took me a long time to read, small writing and lots of unusual characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was sorry when it ended. I'll be looking for more from the same authors.
Judy
For a fantasy book combined with history it was a mercedes lackey success. It caught my eye as a new book in the library and I had enjoyed reading mercedes lackey's books in the past.
Shifra
May 29, 2008 Shifra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the previous books (definitely a series that needs to be read in order)
it was a little slow-going in the beginning, but i ended up really enjoying the book. i was even reluctant to start reading another one, because i didn't want this one to be over.
Lbd
end of the historical fantasy about the Tudor legacy. Ending was interesting, since historically you know how it has to be. Lackey does an excellent job in spinning her words.
Mary
Sigh... if I was a publisher and I was going to schlep a nice shiny cover on a well bound hardback book- I would frickin' proofread it!

Anyway, faeries! :-)
Becky
It was good, even being away from the series so long I still remembered enough. I think it was a nice ending to this series.
Anne
Very disappointing read from my favorite author. Interesting fairy/fantasy twist on the Queen Elizabeth story, however.
Chaos
Jun 24, 2008 Chaos rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: histoy buffs with an open mind
This series is very intriguing. Who doesn't see a little magic and mischief of the elves behind life?
Cheryl
an excellent finish to a well written series
Lynn Calvin
Amazon received
Sharon
Great...sortty to see it end.
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Mountain Magic
  • Snows of Darkover (Darkover Anthology Series)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Dance of Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #4)
  • In the Face of Death (Madelaine de Montalia, #2)
  • The Return of Nightfall (Nightfall, #2)
  • Stealing Fire (Numinous World, #2)
  • Veiled Seduction (Veiled, #2)
  • Treasures of Fantasy
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Pandora's Legions
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • An Unexpected Apprentice (Tildi Summerbee, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &a ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Doubled Edge (4 books)
  • This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge, #1)
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Doubled Edge, #2)
  • By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)