The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History

The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The compact history of a giant country.

American history is one of those subjects that students frequently labor over and can seem like a random collection of names, dates, and events. Understood as a collective biography and free of the cheerleading found in many text books, the fully updated fifth edition of The Complete Idiot's Guide(r) to American History explains the...more
Paperback, 5th Edition, 432 pages
Published June 2nd 2009 by Alpha (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History

Shelly
Read this quick summary of US history in four days as a prep for the FSOT. It's a little slanted but a useful resource for a summary of the American narrative.
Z
This took years and years to get through, butt (heh) it was a bathroom read. Pretty informative and easy to get through.
Pamela Hubbard
This was a great overview of the many different aspects of American history: social, economic, religious, political, etc. Not only did it cover the main events, such as wars, it also delved into the atmosphere of the country at different points in time. This broad overview really helped me see connections between events and ideologies and showed the steps between our vastly different culture in the early 1900s to what it is now. I highly recommend this book for those of you wanting an easy read...more
Mandy
If I could give this book zero stars I would. Not only is the lay out in my option complete "idiotic" its unclear when everything happened because he bounces back and forth between years and adds random facts of things that happened many years later. the author has clear bias opinions which makes me second guess how accurate the history is. To me history should go without person comment and insights. Which he failed to do.
John
Read this in one day to study for a test. It's a passable distillation of American History in 275 pages. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be in the Howard Zinn camp of all rich educated white Protestant people are the devil, or the textbook "all of US history was done by rich white men". By trying to straddle both, it doesn't really do either. Still, I think I did okay on the test.
Allegra Hailey Green
Not as entertaining as the Complete Idiot's Guide to British history, and I felt it left out some really important details about things such as how wars ended, and a chart of American presidents! Some they barely covered! I would have appreciated a chart and a timeline. But it was a good enough introduction to history.
Meg Lees
For a fast, easy review of US History, this is great! I love all the "Idiot" books, and this one is no different. Without it, my US History test would have gotten a much lower grade! However, it is not a good book to use alone; I found it better as a supplement to my textbooks than as a stand-alone study book.
Heather Crozier
Not an enthralling read, obviously, but it helped me sketch in some areas. I feel less stupid regarding the country's history, but I definitely need to do more reading on 20th century events.
Cade
easy-reading, brush up on history, but the author shows clear bias with the more recent history. A lot of things I understand better since I didn't always listen in school.
Lindsey
Helpful in giving an overview.
Taína
Jun 21, 2012 Taína marked it as to-read
That's right people!!
Jeni
Jeni marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Marjie
Marjie added it
Aug 10, 2014
Krishna Wathen
Krishna Wathen marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Roman
Roman is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Kenzie
Kenzie added it
Jul 20, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kim Nolan
Kim Nolan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Salexl
Salexl marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Elizabeth I CEO: Strategic Lessons from the Leader Who Built an Empire Patton on Leadership Patton: A Biography The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past Miracle at Belleau Wood: The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps