Start by marking “Letters for Emily” as Want to Read:
Letters for Emily

Letters for Emily

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,184 ratings  ·  520 reviews

You are so young. You may wonder what an old man like me could teach? I wonder as well. I certainly don't claim to know all the answers. I'm barely figuring out the questions....Life has a strange way of repeating itself and I want my experience to help you. I want to make a difference. My hope is that you'll consider my words and remember my heart.

Harry Whitney is dyin

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 224 pages
Published August 1st 2004 by Audioworks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Letters for Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters for Emily

Janice
After reading Wednesday letters, I remembered that a friend had given me Letters for Emily, also by Camron Steve Wright. So, I dug it off my shelves and read it this weekend. It was a poignant read for me. I lived next door to the "real" Harry Wright when I was growing up (he did live on Lincoln Street in Midvale, and "Old Man Ross" did live across the street from him!). My father was the Wrights home teacher for years. Harry Wright was a dignified, gentle, warm man--as I remember him. Of course ...more
Dianne
Well this book certainly was the change I was looking for after Anna Karenina. I read the entire book in one day of just picking it up now and then as a break from something else I was doing. It's quick, light and easy, which leads me to a question I want to ask.

Do you review books you'd class as literature and this lighter kind of novel in the same way? I always struggle with that and would like to hear some of your opinions on it. It seems almost unfair to use the same criteria for a book like
Robin
May 05, 2009 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robin by: book club
Shelves: book-club
This one had a good story line and enjoyable to read, but could have been written a lot better. I have quite a lot of gripes with the cheesy, unrealistic dialogue. My one other gripe is that, being one myself, I could se how glaringly 'mormon' this writer is even before I read he attended BYU. That would be fine if this were intended to be an LDS fiction, but as it was not, that bugs me. On the positive side, it was squeaky clean, and as I mentioned before, enjoyable to read. Oh, and quick. Very ...more
Beth
I'm a sucker for books about letters (or even better -- written in letters), so I picked this up. And to my surprise, this turned out to be much better than I anticipated. Judging from the cover (I know, the cliche says I'm not supposed to, but I totally do), I thought this would be a little hokey and poorly written. What I found instead was a readable, clever story. I found myself rooting for Laura and Bob's rocky relationship and appreciating Harry for his efforts in communicating with his fam ...more
Janet
I loved this book.

It was my first by Cameron and I loved it.

Emily and her mom visit Grandpa Harry every Friday. Early on in the book Grandpa Harry dies and once that happens they find this book he left for Emily (and Bob and Michelle). This book is full of poems / riddles / puzzles to be solved and once solved leave to life lesson letters. Although Emily is small the adults, Bob and Laura along with Michelle and Greg solve the puzzles and read the letters.

So much more happens but I want you t
Traci
This book begins with what could be a depressing story-line. The main character is dying, with Alzheimer's disease. But the story takes an interesting turn when he leaves a book of poems and connected letters for his granddaughter, Emily. These are life messages that connect with both Emily and the adults in her life. Beautifully written and a joy to read. When I find something this hope-filled I can't help but recommend it. Our choices today are so negative, generally, and this is quite refresh ...more
Lorraine
When I started, reading this book, I wasn't really sure I wanted to. There were some similarities to my own father, called Harry, whose father was also called Harry, also bald, suffering with Alzheimer's and a granddaughter called Em......Emma.....almost! I hoped to get some insight into my dad's torment but not really wanting to face up to it. I found the story comforting, and heartwarming. I don't want my father to become a stranger, to see him fade. I'd like to remember the way he was. The st ...more
Karin
This was a very unique book about an old man who lives a lonely life and writes his life's lessons in letters to his granddaughter Emily. He writes them in poems and there are passwords hidden in each one that when typed into his computer, brings up a story of this man's life and what he learned. His son, who was never close to him learns about his Dad and learns lessons about relationships that eventually help heal his own marriage. The only thing that was disappointing was that there are some ...more
Darla
Yet another unoriginal, tear jerky, melodramatic story by yet another moderately talented LDS author. More reason not to read books by my fellow saints. I starve for originality and story/ character dimension every time. Very frustrating. There were some good points, I loved learning about the father, Harry. If the story had stayed on he & his wife, maybe it would have been better. And don't send me any hate mail. I am entitled to my opinion.
Jessica
I don't like books about depression. They are depressing. While I understand that depression is a mental illness that effects millions of people, I feel like in our society it is acceptable to use depression as an excuse for all bad behavior. Anyway, I thought it was sad that Harry had to leave all his advice and nice things to say in letters to be read after he died, rather than fixing his relationships in person while he was still alive.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
An old man, Harry, is dying and in his last few years writes letters to Emily, his grand-daughter who is seven when he passes away. They had been great friends. Emily's mother and father are currently separated. When the family finds the letters they find that Harry was trying to express himself not only to Emily, but to his son and daughter as well.

I loved this book and highly recommend it!
Vickie
I probably would have given this book 3 stars except for the fact that there were some really good lessons for life in it. My favorite was the one when Grandpa was in his garden and got stung by a wasp. "There will be times when you are minding your own business, hurting no one. Then someone will come along and sting you. You have two choices. One is to get angry and waste days of your life swatting at anyone who looks threatening; if you do, you'll find when you're through, you've accomplished ...more
Alli Elggren
I read this sweet little book in one day at Newport Beach a few summers ago. Initially I thought it might be too sappy, but I really enjoyed the letters from a grandpa to his granddaughter he doesn't know well. His letters are clever, teach life lessons and give clues about a mystery that runs through the story. Touching and insightful....a fun "beach read."
Janelle
This was a sweet story about a grandfather's legacy to his family through the letters he left behind. I enjoyed the clues hidden in the letters and found it a clever device to move the story along.

This book made me want to write letters to everyone I left, of course I haven't gotten around to it quite yet.
Katie
I thought the dialoge was worthless, the story line decent. I liked the fact that the book was similar to something that had happened in the author's life. And the grandpa's story was interesting, borrow it if you need a quick, mediocre read.
Bethany
This is a wonderful book! It combines mystery with a story about family love and loss. It's very sweet and makes you want to write similar letters for posterity. It reads very fast. Have fun figuring out the puzzles!
Susan
An old man struggling with losing his mind writes letters to his granddaughter, Emily. Much more complicated than it seems as he hides clues in his poetry and sets up a treasure hunt. Humor and wisdom. Loved it.
Cassie Shepherd
I recommend this book despite the three star rating. I am just a cry baby and teared up through the entire book. For me, it is one of those bitter/sweet books you love, but have a hard time getting through.
Angie
Feb 23, 2010 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angie by: Sherilyn
Thoroughly loved this book. Loved the crazy old man and his cryptic poems left to his granddaughter. Loved the relationships. It was a quick, easy read and very heart warming.
Tawnia
This is an awesome book based on a true story. The advice he gave his grandaughter is advice we all could use. Keep some tissues close!
R
Opens your eyes to depression and how it can destroy relationships. Touching tidbits of advice nestled in the grandfather's stories.
Eva Mahoney
I think this story, if not already, should be labelled young adult. I don't normally read a book so fast. I was intrigued by this novel. One thing would get resolved and another was right around the corner. I like that better than the writing concept of building on the same point, just about getting ready to resolve the issue only to have a monkey wrench thrown into the mix. I kept wanting to read more and more. I would like to have seen more issues with the grandfathers dementia. His writing, a ...more
Debbie O
Sweet story! Quick and easy read. I'll probably read it again someday. I am considering writing some letters now, too!
Christina
When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I would finish it. It opens with a man who has Alzheimer's Disease, and I was saddened at the prospect of following this gentleman's decline and the way it affected his family.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the actual letters for Emily featured in the story. There are some heartwarming and inspiring life lessons in them.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books about families and relationships. It's really quite beaut
Alicia
An intricate story based on the writings of a real grandfather in a losing battle with age and Alzheimer's. In the story, Harry has written letters to his granddaughter Emily by writing poems with secret codes to unlock the letters about life, love, family history, and more. And while Emily's parents, Harry's son and daughter-in-law are treading water as they contemplate divorce, Harry passes and the letters and mystery surrounding his life are discovered.

The opening of the book is haunting and
Mimi
I really enjoyed this book, and I would read it again, possibly buy it if I ever saw it for sale.

The premise of the book is a grandfather passes away, leaving behind a book of poems (three copies) for his descendants. Inside the poems are clues that lead to the passwords of protected documents on his computer. The documents are all letters to his granddaughter, Emily. (They are password protected from himself. He has Alzheimer's and doesn't want to accidentally delete them as he deteriorates.)

It
Rachel
The letters are written by a Grandfather with Alzheimers (ostensibly) to his granddaughter. Grandpa Harry wants to leave letters and poems behind so that people can know him for the man he was in life, and not the man he was as his mind and conduct were claimed by disease.

There are additional story lines relating to his relationships with his wife, his children, and between his children and their families, but I was most struck by two things: his desperation to be remembered with fondness, and n
Thedreamcatcher
Der Titel des Buches und das Aussehen täuschen echt sehr: Zuerst dachte ich, gut, das ist sicher so ein Liebesroman, ohne richtigen Inhalt. Zum Glüpck bin ich ein Riesenfan von Briefromanen und so musste das Buch trotzdem mit.

Umso überraschter war ich, als ich zu lesen begann. Das Buch beginnt mit einer bewegenden Erzählung von Harry, der Alzheimer hat. Ab da war ich gefesselt.

Denn sein auftreten nach dem Prolog steht im gegensatz dazu. Er wirkt verrückt und zerstreut, wenn Laura ihn mit ihrer
Yumi Learner
Today I finished reading ” Letters for Emily”. It was very inspiring story and I really enjoyed reading it.

The story is like that an old man called Harry has a granddaughter whose name is Emily. Harry and Emily are best friends. Harry is suffering from Alzheimer’s diseases right now, so he has an idea that he wants to write a bunch of letters to Emily until he forgets everything.
In his letters he teaches lessons about life, love, friendship or other important topics. However, his disease isn’t o
Heather
This is a sweet story about family and love and forgiveness. A grandfather, who wasn't able to tell his children some of the most important things in his heart while he was alive, prepared letters and poems for his granddaughter that helped him share who he really was. He carefully prepared riddles that the family had to solve together in order to read all of his messages. He helped them see that the greatest treasure in life is love and family.

I agree with with one of the comments on the back
  • Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford
  • Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1)
  • The Wedding Dress
  • Jacob T. Marley
  • Letters
  • Chickens in the Headlights
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • Nobody Don't Love Nobody: Lessons on Love from the School With No Name
  • Following the Light of Christ into His Presence
  • The Wedding Letters
  • Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)
  • The Freedom Factor
  • The Windwalker
  • I Am a Mother
  • The Evolution of Thomas Hall
  • Breaking Free: True Stories of Girls Who Escaped Modern Slavery
  • If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: And Other Reassuring Truths
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
Camron Wright was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. He has a master’s degree in Writing and Public Relations from Westminster College.

He has owned several successful retail stores, in addition to working with his wife in the fashion industry, designing for the McCall Pattern Company in New York.

He currently works in public relations, marketing and design.

Camron began writing to get out of
More about Camron Wright...
The Rent Collector Serann and the Prince of Angkor: A Cambodian Cinderella Story The Other Side of the Bridge

“Follow your dreams, make your best choices, and peace will come as you realize that you are on the best path for yourself.” 0 likes