Start by marking “George Orwell: A Life” as Want to Read:

Bernard Crick

George Orwell: A Life

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Part Two Of Two Parts

Even though 1984 is now behind us, Orwell continues to influence our lives and thoughts.

Bernard Crick's biography puts the many forces that shaped Orwell into perspective. More than anything else Orwell feared the state. As an outgrowth of this fear, Orwell dissected propaganda and exposed the many ways in which language can be made a tool of tyranny.

W

Published 1980 by Martin Secker & Warburg Ltd

To ask other readers questions about George Orwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Orwell

Brigi
I feel like I deserve a little 'hallelujah' for finishing this book. It's not the first biography on Orwell I've read, so I have a bit of experience. I must say the first half (sadly, not the one I needed) was more interesting.

I had the impression that Crick inserted many unimportant details, events from Orwell's life. I mean, yes, they might have been interesting for someone living in that period who knew the other journalists/writers, but I think for today's man they don't seem essential.

Howev
Vasil Kolev
He clearly was able to do a lot with the information he found, but I still found the book somewhat lacking and overdone at some parts. Still, it's very helpful to put Orwell's writings into some context (that you can't find in the Complete Works).
Ryan Williams
Still the best Orwell biography.
Derek Baldwin
Engrossing and ultimately very moving account of the life of George Orwell. Much of the "story" can be found in Orwell's own writings but this brings it together very neatly, albeit sometimes a little over-respectful. Orwell wasn't a saint after all. (But still a very great man.)
Erin
Probably the most thorough and best biography I have read yet of Orwell. I wish he had included a short summary of the lives of Avril, Bill Dunn, and Richard Blair afterwards but in the end this is a biography on Orwell not them.
Mark McKenna
This is a wonderful biography of Orwell, considered the finest, I believe. I just didn't have time to finish it, and wanted to get it off this list. (So I don't look illiterate).
Pippa
I have huge admiration for Orwell and he must have been an incredible man, but unfortunately this biography is rather dull.
Mark
This is a good biography of Orwell, one that provides what is still the best analysis of his politics.
James
One from the parental shelves
Fishsanwitt
Jan 26, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
Kgomotso
Kgomotso marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Panagiotis
Panagiotis marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Amira Mahmoud
Amira Mahmoud marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Caspar
Caspar marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Mohammed Al
Mohammed Al marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Ðøç Ërökã
Ðøç Ërökã marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Boukabene Moustafa
Boukabene Moustafa marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
  • George Orwell: The Authorised Biography
  • In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
  • George Orwell
  • Ideology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Keats
  • Anthony Blunt: His Lives
  • A is for Alien
Sir Bernard Rowland Crick was a British political theorist and democratic socialist whose views were often summarised as "politics is ethics done in public". He sought to arrive at a "politics of action", as opposed to a "politics of thought" or of ideology.
More about Bernard Crick...
Democracy: A Very Short Introduction In Defense of Politics Socialism (Concepts in Social Thought) Essays on Citizenship Essays on Politics and Literature