Start by marking “George Orwell: A Life” as Want to Read:
George Orwell: A Life

Bernard Crick

George Orwell: A Life

Part Two Of Two Parts

Even though 1984 is now behind us, Orwell continues to influence our lives and thoughts.

Bernard Crick's biography puts the many forces that shaped Orwell into perspective. More than anything else Orwell feared the state. As an outgrowth of this fear, Orwell dissected propaganda and exposed the many ways in which language can be made a tool of tyranny.

W

Published 1980 by Martin Secker & Warburg Ltd

To ask other readers questions about George Orwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Orwell

Terry Clague
Mar 15, 2009 Terry Clague rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this, it strikes me that I probably need to re-read most things which probably rules me out of new books for the next thirty years. A brilliant biography, complete with an introduction that should be (it probably already is) required reading for anyone contemplating writing this kind of book. Orwell requested in his Will that no biography be written, and thought that a truthful biography was impossible because "every life viewed from the inside would be a series of disappointments too ...more
Matt
May 03, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Fine, approving review by the Hitch himself: http://www.newstatesman.com/cultural-...
Brigi
I feel like I deserve a little 'hallelujah' for finishing this book. It's not the first biography on Orwell I've read, so I have a bit of experience. I must say the first half (sadly, not the one I needed) was more interesting.

I had the impression that Crick inserted many unimportant details, events from Orwell's life. I mean, yes, they might have been interesting for someone living in that period who knew the other journalists/writers, but I think for today's man they don't seem essential.

Howev
Vasil Kolev
Aug 17, 2014 Vasil Kolev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
He clearly was able to do a lot with the information he found, but I still found the book somewhat lacking and overdone at some parts. Still, it's very helpful to put Orwell's writings into some context (that you can't find in the Complete Works).
Derek Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 Derek Baldwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing and ultimately very moving account of the life of George Orwell. Much of the "story" can be found in Orwell's own writings but this brings it together very neatly, albeit sometimes a little over-respectful. Orwell wasn't a saint after all. (But still a very great man.)
Erin
Aug 20, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most thorough and best biography I have read yet of Orwell. I wish he had included a short summary of the lives of Avril, Bill Dunn, and Richard Blair afterwards but in the end this is a biography on Orwell not them.
Ryan Williams
Sep 07, 2014 Ryan Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still by far the best Orwell biography. DJ Taylor's is too slight. Jeffrey Meyers - an American - has more facts, but can't get over his urge to piss over everything like a poorly-trained puppy.
Pippa
Sep 16, 2012 Pippa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I have huge admiration for Orwell and he must have been an incredible man, but unfortunately this biography is rather dull.
Mark
Dec 04, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good biography of Orwell, one that provides what is still the best analysis of his politics.
Mark McKenna
Sep 20, 2011 Mark McKenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful biography of Orwell, considered the finest, I believe. I just didn't have time to finish it, and wanted to get it off this list. (So I don't look illiterate).
Dlnsctt
Dlnsctt rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2009
Adam Pope
Adam Pope rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Heywood
Heywood rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2007
Robert Pearson
Robert Pearson rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Craig Campbell
Craig Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Martin Frisher
Martin Frisher rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Paul Curd
Paul Curd rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
r m miller
r m miller rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2009
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Eleonora
Eleonora rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2009
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Fishsanwitt
Jan 10, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • George Orwell: The Authorised Biography
  • George Orwell
  • In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
  • Orwell
  • Picasso: Creator And Destroyer
  • Making Friends with Hitler: Lord Londonderry, the Nazis & the Road to War
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Anthony Blunt: His Lives
Sir Bernard Rowland Crick was a British political theorist and democratic socialist whose views were often summarised as "politics is ethics done in public". He sought to arrive at a "politics of action", as opposed to a "politics of thought" or of ideology.
More about Bernard Crick...