Start by marking “Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)

Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1 (Deadman Wonderland #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  11,829 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
Ten years have passed since the Great Tokyo Earthquake, and the people's memories of the disaster have faded. Ganta Igarashi, a middle school evacuee, has finally begun to live a normal life... that is, until the day 'Red Man' appears at his school and Ganta's fate is changed forever.
Published February 9th 2010 by Tokyopop (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1, please sign up.

Connor Birmingham Yes. Though I do think this book is amazing and is a must-read, offering it to someone who isn't mentally prepared for the themes of this book is…moreYes. Though I do think this book is amazing and is a must-read, offering it to someone who isn't mentally prepared for the themes of this book is unwise unless you want to break your child into the harsh and demented realities of this world. This book deals with murder, psychological trauma, abandonment, abuse and much more. This book isn't actually as gore heavy as most would interpret but it's very mature.(less)
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
96th out of 867 books — 3,253 voters
Attack on Titan, Volume 01 by Hajime IsayamaDeadman Wonderland, Volume 1 by Jinsei KataokaFuture Diary, Volume 1 by Sakae EsunoBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Transgressive Manga
2nd out of 62 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it really liked it

Type: Manga
Volumes: 13
Chapters: 58
Status: Finished
Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Supernatural

Read the entire series! Straight-up awesome dystopian horror

So there’s the guy right? Well he’s being shipped off to prison for slaughtering his entire class. Only the thing is...he didn’t do it. Now he’s in this new prison where:

a) eating a candy can mean life or death
b) people can manipulate their blood into weapons
c) higher-ups use this ability to play some Battle Royale
d)
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Category: The First Book You See In a Bookstore

3 I-have-no-idea-how-to-rate-manga Stars

I fell in love with this cover when I walked through the doors of my local bookstore, it drew my eyes instantly and would not release them. I chided myself that “No, you cannot buy another book you’ve never heard of just because it’s pretty” and I forced myself to walk past it to the section where the book was that I actually came for. However, I wandered back and picked it up and perused it a bit, shoved it
Allison
Jul 21, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
Dystopian manga? Get out.

It's 2023, ten years after an earthquake sunk 70% of Tokyo. Ganta Igarashi, a survivor of the Great Tokyo Earthquake, went on to live a normal life. When a creature Ganta calls Red Man murders all his classmates, he is sentenced to death and placed in Deadman Wonderland.

In Deadman Wonderland, the prisoners are wealthy as they can earn Cast Points. CPs can buy nearly anything, even a sentence reduction. It's like a credit card but if it's stolen, it isn't considered fraud
Nərmin
Aug 22, 2016 Nərmin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dark dystopian fans
First review
It began so interesting and promising. Ganta Igarashi is convicted for a mass murder he hasn't done and given a death sentence. Now in a prison called "Deadman Wonderland", he has to avoid death and keep himself alive. And also, in the "Deadman Wonderland", there are some people who can manipulate their bloods into weapons! Which also Ganta.
The name of manga is wonderful! I liked Ganta so far, also a strange girl named Shiro (which means "white" in japanese). The story seems comple
Jamie
Mar 07, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manwha
Bizarre and twisted with lots of gory action. Ganta's entire classroom is brutally massacred in from of him by a mysterious "Red Man" and next thing he knows he is in prison for apparently murdering them. But this is no ordinary prison. It is a televised deathmatch, prison and amusement park all in one! Sounds crazy right? Well it doesn't stop there...

This is one very messed up read. In a place with madmen with special abilities, competitions for survival and expensive candy that you will die if
Steve
Wow, this was really, and I mean REALLY, gory and ultra-violent.

On to volume 2...
Inigomontoya
Dec 07, 2015 Inigomontoya rated it it was amazing
That was awesome!

Rtc.

Edited 12/7/2015

Ooh, where do I even begin with this one? The way its pacing was wonderfully fast? The epic gorefest? The characters?

description

Well, even though this was only like, five chapters, I loved every second of it.

First, the premise- I have only one word. Awesome. There was an earthquake that tore through Tokyo, now there's a prison that also functions as an amusement park, if prisoners don't eat 'candy' they get poisoned, prisoners called 'Deadmen' can manipulate their b
Cornerofmadness
Feb 10, 2010 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it

I’m not a giant fan of the ultra violent manga since they tend to be long on gore and scantily dressed women and short on plot so I came into this with some preconceived notions. Happily, Deadman Wonderland blew those notions away. Yes, there was gore and violence but there was plot. Said plot, however, is a bit different and takes a nice dollop of suspension of disbelief.

It opens with Ganta Igarashi, a teenaged boy, and his classmates whining about the lame school trip that’s planned to Deadma
Romane Dela Gracia
Jan 18, 2014 Romane Dela Gracia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I like it so far, with the gory and killing and blood and all. There's still a million of questions inside my head, though. I shall continue.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jul 17, 2016 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it really liked it
4 stars

This is a re-read since Viz picked up the series and is releasing it in digital format. I read the first 3 volumes as released by Tokyopop and remember that I really enjoyed them, but TP went belly up (or whatever the CEO would have you believe), and stopped publishing manga. I despaired at ever finishing Deadman Wonderland, and now have hope that I will get to complete it since Viz is publishing it now.

Ganta, a middle school student, has been falsely accused of killing all of his classma
Πέτρος
Dec 02, 2011 Πέτρος rated it it was ok
Recipe: Take a third of Battle Royale, a third of Prison Break, and a third of Akira. Stir them in a bawl until the flavor is all gone and add lots of bad storytelling around the plate it is served upon. The result is Deadman Wonderland. Or as I prefer to call it, BrainDeadman COCOland; a completely unrealistic and chaotic show, with lots of gore thrown in to attract the casual viewers with superficial entertainment. Everything is made to be as much exaggerated as possible with violence overblow ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Off to a fantastic start. This is creepy, unsettling, horrific Japanese dystopia at its finest. Add in a paranormal element and everything you could want is here. Deadman Wonderland is a most unique world; an amusement park built on top of a privatized prison, the park is run by the inmates and the death row inmates are especially heinously controlled and made to participate is events (games) which result in life or death. A little like "Hunger Games" only more violent. While futuristic and dyst ...more
Bec
Apr 30, 2016 Bec rated it really liked it
A dystopian prison in Tokyo that's also a Wonderland for the survivors of the earthquake that destroyed the country? Plus a mix of psychological thriller (it'll mess you up) and possible supernatural powers? This manga is so up my alley, I'm glad I have the next five so I can just continue on! Only reason I gave this 4 stars was because of the randomly stereotypical hardly-dressed (if even) female character. There's always one.
Catherine
Mar 22, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh boy. This story is Violent with a capital V. Lots of mysteries and lots of evil. I predict a truck-load of twists in the coming volumes.
Zala
[The rating and review refer to the whole series.]

This is easily one of my favourite manga series'. So much so that I can't decide on its rating as a whole - it should be a gazillion stars, but I admit the shortcomings it had - and, as opposed to how I usually add manga, I didn't just rate and review the first volume but added all of them, even though I usually find it a hassle.

Rating and reviewing every volume for itself when I can add one, and put a rating and review under it that refer to the
Ornella (Nyx)
Aug 20, 2014 Ornella (Nyx) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
Copy of the Manga was given by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

Such a unique plotline! Using criminals to pay for the reconstruction of a country while still keeping them imprisioned and for the public to not realize that it's all quite inhumane. Not to mention the 'real deadman wonderland'. On top of all that there is the mystery of the Egg and his powers, and the powers that Igarashii is developing because of him. So many unanswered questions, looking forward to their answers!

I
Enni
Nov 10, 2013 Enni rated it it was amazing
Love it! Twisted background stories that each character carries and their mad mind! I always enjoyed something out of the ordinary.

Lots of action. Lots of blood. Interesting story, how everyone with differently personalities and differently skills all unite and become friends.

Keeps me on edge because of the action. Yes it does remind me of abit of battle royale but it is still good because I think its more than just killing for fun.

Not your usual bunch of good guys. Everyone is a sinner but th
Miss Ryoko
Aug 14, 2015 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
Actual rating: 3.5

Whoa... I love it when I start a series that sounds like it'll be pretty interesting and it turns out way more awesome than I thought... this is one of them!

I can't wait for the last few volumes to come out in the USA so I can read the sh*t out of this series. The first volume was super interesting and intriguing. There really isn't much more to say than that. It was awesome.
Christopher
I don't know yet.

I'm going to have to read more and come back to you with a rating. One volume isn't enough to know if the things that bother me are going to be ongoing or just due to needing to get things started. The whole series is just ("just") 13 volumes, so I might blow through them all and return to rate.

Let's talk about first impressions though.

The story is that a being appears outside of a schoolroom, there's an explosion or something, and everyone dies. Except for our MC, who doesn't
Julia
Jul 21, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2016
quite enjoyable!!! I've already seen some of the anime so this was a faster and easier read than usual manga ! I like the prison system I find it so interesting ! The characters are really cool as well.
Evi
Sep 14, 2015 Evi rated it it was amazing
Just my type of anime/manga!
Lissibith
Feb 03, 2014 Lissibith rated it really liked it
I'm really on the fence here. I enjoyed this manga, but only after coming to terms with the fact that I needed to shut off certain significant brain areas first.

Deadman Wonderland is the name of Japan's only for-profit prison, and in addition to incarcerating prisoners, it also turns them into entertainment celebs, who do various things to entertain audiences. The inmates earn points, the prison earns money, and the end goal is to rebuild Tokyo, which was destroyed in a flood some ten years prev
Tiara
Jan 26, 2012 Tiara rated it really liked it
Rachel
Oct 04, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was entertaining and intriguing! I thought the art style was pretty standard, a biiit confusing during the action scenes but otherwise fine; I especially liked the color pages at the beginning. Not the hugest fan of the main character, Ganta, so far, he seems a little typical and cliche of other protagonists in this genre of manga / anime, but Yo & Shiro seem interesting enough. The story is really entertaining and I'm excited to see where it goes in the next volumes!
Felipe Borbón
Jul 25, 2016 Felipe Borbón rated it it was amazing
Segundo libro del #MaratónBooktastic - Amo esta historiaaaa,esta prisión! Sus secretos y peculiaridades...lástima ese anime! Quizá la nostalgia me haga volver a leer más tomos.
Deniz
Aug 20, 2015 Deniz rated it liked it
İlk cilt için biraz sönük geldi bana, daha vurucu şeyler bekliyordum ama yine de devam edicem. Bakalım ;)
Magg {Morgan} Paukner
Mar 24, 2016 Magg {Morgan} Paukner rated it really liked it
This was lovely !!
Sidney Prescott
Aug 28, 2016 Sidney Prescott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, own
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Ummm.....how has this not been in my life before?! I picked it up by random at the book store yesterday and now I'm kicking myself for not buying the entire series because HOT DAMN.

After a strange red demon like creature appears and murders all of Ganta's friends and fellow students, he is deemed the murderer and sent to this crazy ass prison. This prison was created after most of Tokyo was swallowed by the ocean during an earthquake. It's a prison / theme park where regular citizens can visit
Rose Haertl
Oct 30, 2014 Rose Haertl rated it it was amazing
This book is for young adults who preferably like manga (Japanese comics) as well horror stories. (Age 12 to 18). In Deadman Wonderland, a young boy named Ganta, who is in middle school, one day meets a mysterious "red man" who suddenly kills all his classmates then disappears. Ganta, who is the only survivor of his class, is later convicted of murdering his classmates and thrown into "Deadman Wonderland Prison" on death row. He is found guilty. Fighting to prove his innocence he meets the myste ...more
Bobby
Dec 13, 2015 Bobby rated it liked it
3.5
YouTube Anime/Man...: Deadmand Wonderland Discussion 26 11 May 04, 2015 06:48PM
She-Geeks: May 2014 Read: Deadman Wonderland 4 21 Sep 25, 2014 06:32AM
  • Future Diary, Volume 1 (Future Diary, #1)
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 1
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1
  • Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)
  • Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Volume 1
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 02
  • Are You Alice? 1巻
  • Liar Game, Volume 1 (Liar Game, #1)
  • Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
  • Elfen Lied, Vol. 1 (Elfen Lied, #1)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's An Endless World! #1)
  • Black Lagoon, Vol. 1
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 1
Name in native language

片岡人生
More about Jinsei Kataoka...

Deadman Wonderland (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 2 (Deadman Wonderland, #2)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 3 (Deadman Wonderland, #3)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 4 (Deadman Wonderland, #4)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 5 (Deadman Wonderland, #5)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 6 (Deadman Wonderland, #6)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 7 (Deadman Wonderland, #7)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 8 (Deadman Wonderland, #8)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 9 (Deadman Wonderland, #9)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 10 (Deadman Wonderland, #10)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 11 (Deadman Wonderland, #11)