Start by marking “Das Prinzip Hoffnung. 3 Bde. (Werkausgabe, 5)” as Want to Read:
Das Prinzip Hoffnung. 3 Bde. (Werkausgabe, 5)

Das Prinzip Hoffnung. 3 Bde. (Werkausgabe, 5)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Principle of Hope is one of the great works of the human spirit. It is a critical history of the utopian vision and a profound exploration of the possible reality of utopia. Even as the world has rejected the doctrine on which Bloch sought to base his utopia, his work still challenges us to think more insightfully about our own visions of a better world.

The Principle o
Published July 1st 1985 by Suhrkamp (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Das Prinzip Hoffnung. 3 Bde., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Prinzip Hoffnung. 3 Bde.

Zoe Tuck
I want to write a thank you note to José Muñoz who introduced me to Ernst Bloch's work in Cruising Utopia: The Then and There of Queer Futurity. This author is exactly what I've been looking for - a philosopher of the Not-Yet-Conscious, an esoteric Marxist theologian and more. I started with his defense of Expressionism in Aesthetics and Politics, then proceeded to this volume. In the span of a month, I've also acquired Traces, Man On His Own and Atheism in Christianity: The Religion of the Exod ...more
Charles Grimm
I'm not giving it five stars for its ease of access, because the style can be cumbersome at times, but the overall mode of thinking and the worldview presented is staggering. A clearly Marxist worldview that defies the stereotypes imposed on Marxism by Western Capitalists by looking not at a dull existence where everything is a homogeneous grey, but at a world full of possibility where the intersection of Past and Future is the obscured Now.
While I have read this as an attempt to craft a partic
Jeffrey Paris [was Infinite Tasks]
I'll be teaching a Symposium course at USF on selections from The Principle of Hope this Fall. I've always wanted to read it through carefully, but being 1500 words and all, never quite was up for it. The students will read about 600 pages, and hopefully I'll be able to get through the whole thing over the four months. Stay tuned! [Update: Full book completed near the end of the semester. Eminently worthwhile, but not much to say about it that is goodreads appropriate.]
Phoebe
I particularly enjoyed his musings on fairytales, technological utopia, and traveling. :) I'll definitely come back to this when I have time.
Rebekah
Useful theories on Utopia - two more volumes to go
Matthew Beach
Matthew Beach marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Miiss Po
Miiss Po marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lily Wardzala
Lily Wardzala marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Ufuk Ozkan
Ufuk Ozkan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Matej Vidaković
Matej Vidaković marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Aparna Gopakumar
Aparna Gopakumar marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Janek Z
Janek Z marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Noora
Noora marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Hadrian
Hadrian marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Jack Blashchishen
Jack Blashchishen marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Jeogbor
Jeogbor marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ethan Everhart
Ethan Everhart marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Amiri Barksdale
Amiri Barksdale marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Sudip Gurung-tamu
Sudip Gurung-tamu marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
S.Stein
S.Stein marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Archaeologies of the Future: The Desire Called Utopia and Other Science Fictions
  • Means Without End: Notes on Politics
  • The Logic of Sense
  • The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection
  • The Liberal Defence of Murder
  • Philosophical Inquiries into the Nature of Human Freedom
Bloch's work in philosophy focuses on the concept that in a utopian human world where oppression and exploitation have been eliminated there will always be a truly ideological revolutionary force. Bloch's work became very influential in the course of the student protest movements in 1968 and in liberation theology.
More about Ernst Bloch...
The Spirit of Utopia (Meridian (Stanford, Calif.).) Aesthetics and Politics Traces The Utopian Function of Art and Literature: Selected Essays Atheism in Christianity: The Religion of the Exodus and the Kingdom