Start by marking “Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)

Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery #2)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A nun and a monk defy death and dishonor at her family's Welsh fortress...
In the winter of 1271, Death stalks the corridors of Wynethorpe Castle on the Welsh border. When the Grim Reaper touches the beloved grandson of the castle lord, Baron Adam sends for his daughter, Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal, and her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, to save the child with prayers and hea
Published January 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyrant of the Mind

Samantha
I adored Priscilla Royal's first Medieval Mystery, Wine of Violence. The multifaceted creation of Prioress Eleanor and the monk, Thomas, was captivating and well written. Therefore, I was all the more disappointed when this installment fell flat.

In Tyrant of the Mind, Eleanor and Thomas are back, but are far from their abbey. Travelling to Eleanor's ancestral home to care for her ill nephew, they find themselves once again in the center of a murder investigation.

Since death follows these two li
Jayne dArcy
Awallens
A nun and a monk defy death and dishonor at her family's Welsh fortress...

lord, Baron Adam sends for his daughter, Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal, and her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, to save the child with prayers and healing talents.
Escorting them to the remote fortress is Brother Thomas, an unwilling monk fighting his private demons.

Death may
Cora Lee
3 and 1/2 stars Prioress Eleanor wasn't in this book as much as the last, but Brother Thomas was and I have become very fond of him. The only issue I seem to have with this book is that the actual solving of the mystery didn't do much for me. It wasn't poorly written by any stretch, it just didn't feel satisfying to me. But I enjoyed the rest of the book, and am definitely looking forward to the rest of the series!
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Glad to pick up Priscilla Royal's second medieval mystery, Tyrant of the Mind, through interlibrary loan at the Ashland Public Library. How cleverly Royal positions this series in a hospital priory on the route to Newcastle - there's always going to be wonderful material for a murder, and mystery. This one though is set in Wynethorpe Castle, Prioress Eleanor's ancestral home, and the family seat. She and Sister Anne are called home care for an ailing child, where they find love, hatred and betra ...more
Jane
This is the second book in the series and it was not nearly as good as the first book. This book follows Prioress Eleanor, Brother Thomas and Sister Anne to Eleanor's castle home to care for her sick nephew. Another wealthy, titled family is visiting the castle as they try to figure out a deal for Eleanor's brother to marry the family's daughter when several murders occur. The problem with this book is that it's dense, hard to read and the characters all seem so bitter, angry and miserable that ...more
Susan Corcoran
Really enjoyable read. I loved the main character's and will be reading the rest in the series.
Susan
Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas are called to solve a murder in Eleanor's birthplace. The accused - her brother. The historical references and particularly the attitudes about women and their place in society are very interesting to read. Eleanor is a strong personality and lends believability to the story. At just over 200 pages, these novels are good, quick reads.
Nan Hawthorne
As usual, a challenging and entertaining mystery for Eleanor and Thomas to solve with Anne's able help. Getting to meet Eleanor's family and to learn more about Thomas and how he copes with the restrictions of his life are always welcome. love these characters. Royal's historical notes are worth the read all by themselves. She's a great myth buster.
Michael
I am slowly warming to this series. It does not have the winning characters of Ellis Peters' Cadfael books. Tyrant of the Mind draws one in to the setting and characterizations. The mystery itself was not as compelling. That works for me as I'm more interested in the atmospherics and relationships than the puzzle. This was a nice, diverting read.
Lisa
Slow and confusing

I love the prose of this book, but the story was difficult to get into. The characters' motives are vague and the red herring at the beginning confused the plot more than added to the mystery.
Ami
Another medieval mystery...(of which I am particularly fond) Not as good as her first Wine of Violence, but still good. The story continues as Eleanor, the prioress of a convent in northern England is summoned home to attend a gravely ill relative....and the murders start from there.....hee hee.
Ruth
1271 in Wales. Jealousy, greed, murder. Not much has changed. Like characters. Interesting situation with Prioress Eleanor of Tyndall a woman in power position back in the day. Good read.
John Hanscom
Not as good as the first in the series - a little wordy at spots - but still a fascinating look into the social and religious thought of the time, with a mystery thrown in as well.
Sandi
A nicely written historical mystery set during the final years of King Henry III's reign. The plot kept me guessing and I enjoyed learning more about all the lead characters.
Joy
I enjoyed the 2nd in the series with Prioress Eleanor, Sister Anne & Brother Thomas going back to Eleanor's home to help her sick nephew.
Donna Ziegler
Medieval politics on a local level result in murder and are solved by the Prioress of Tyndale and her two friends.
Hafiza
Melodrama and Murder in the Middle Ages.
Better than Book 1.
Jen
I rather liked Wine of Violence, but was unimpressed with the sequel.
Simon
The first book in this series was OK. This one, the second, is awful.
Colleen
Just could not get into it - too stately, slow/
Meg
Loved it and want more like it.
Barbara Rees
Barbara Rees marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
  • The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse #9)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Liars and Thieves
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)
Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1) Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3) Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4) Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6) Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)