Start by marking “Beauty Tempts the Beast” as Want to Read:
Beauty Tempts the Beast

Beauty Tempts the Beast

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  34 reviews

Is the enemy of her enemy a friend-or a beast?

Lord Ashworth is scarred by a night of terror years ago that left his face in ruins and his life in shreds. He hides in Silverstone Manor, using rumors that paint him as a horrible, murdering monster to keep visitors at bay. Yet he can't shake the feeling that the rumors might be true. He tells himself it's better this way.

Published (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Tempts the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Tempts the Beast

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
111th out of 422 books — 1,024 voters
Beauty by Robin McKinleyBeastly by Alex FlinnRose Daughter by Robin McKinleyHeart's Blood by Juliet MarillierCruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Best retellings of Beauty and the Beast
31st out of 76 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Tam
I don't know what's with me these days but more often than not in the past week I've found the titles mismatch the book. "Beauty Tempts the Beast" I support "Tempts the Beast" works. He was rather reluctant. But "Beauty" isn't a suitable title for Vivian the heroine. I'm not saying she isn't pretty or that I didn't like her. I did like her, and we're told that Lord Ashworth (the hero) finds her attractive. But beauty doesn't fit. In fact, I'd say she shunned the title or idea behind being a fema ...more
Lovetoread
I love beauty and the beast type themes, the novel Beauty Tempts the Beast by Leslie Dicken is one of them.

This book is about Vivian Suttley who has seen the face of evil more than once in her young life. She’s on the run from the latest, a cruel man determined to force her to marry him. She hears about a recluse Lord looking to marry she finds herself on the doorsteps of Silverstone Manor. Our hero is the Load of Silverstone Manor, Lord Ashworth, Charles, he is scarred by a night of terror yea
Larissa
*4 & 1/2 starts out of 5 stars!*

To be very honest, I thought at first glance that this was a paranormal romance, only to find out it is a Historical Romance. It was only my second read in this genre and I absolutely loved this book.

I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Beauty Tempts the Beast. I read it last night in one sitting and I just wanted more in the end. A story of trauma, heroism, tragedy, hate, envy and love.

Vivian Suttley is on the run, trying to escape the fate her
Rea
Really 3.5 stars but I'm feeling generous so I'll round up instead of down.

This book was my third ever erotica read. I wasn't sure that I'd like it, as I haven't liked the genre in the past, but decided to try it anyway as part of my Beauty and the Beast spree. The erotic scenes fitted in with the storyline better than my previous experiences at any rate, though I'm not sure that I'm sold on the dreams.

The hero is more of a beast in his mind than his body, being described as handsome despite the
Teresa St.Mary
“Beauty Tempts the Beast” is immediately engaging, quickly capturing the reader’s attention with a dark, tortured hero surrounded by mystery and an equally mysterious heroine hoping to find protection as his bride. Each of these characters is surrounded and driven by dark deeds and painful secrets that they can only escape by learning to place their trust in the other. The villains surrounding them are diabolically evil and the final twist will make your jaw drop.

I really enjoyed reading this st
Emily
I was expecting to give this book a 5 star review. I was hooked almost the minute I started reading and couldn't put it down till 3 in the morning.
I love that Vivian doesn't care about the scar, (but how they would have fallen in love if she had I don't know) and how Charles slowly seemed to be able to get intimate with her for longer periods of time before having his vision.
The "monster" was another favorite part for me. I was really curious what was happening, because it seemed like he had a
Emoore0916
this was actually a historical romance. When i initially bought this I thought it was paranormal contemporary romance. I guess thats what happens when you buy books on a whim. Even though I don't read romance I gobbled this book in one night and its not short. I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit, I will need to look the author up to see what other books she has out.
Stacie
Jul 17, 2009 Stacie added it
Ashworth has secluded himself in his manor because of a murder that took place that left him scarred. He has a faulty memory of the murder and does not trust himself with others. Vivian is on the run from a man who has abused her. She offers herself in marriage to Ashworth in order to get protection.
Karen Darling
This was an interesting story. I gave it 2 sters because the book had homosexuals in the story and not just one but two separate characters with their own issues, and also I don't appreciate violence with my romance novels.
Dawn (mom)
Jul 10, 2009 Dawn (mom) is currently reading it
the benefit of reading ebooks is it looks like you are working when you sit at your desk and read
Lani
Best retelling of beauty and the beast I've read so far. I loved the historical writing of this tale and the mysteries that kept you constantly on your feet wondering who really did it?

I lived the passion between the two characters, Vivian and Charles.

both had a story tell and secrets to hide from rather but I loved the gradual bond the characters found with either. and the authors brilliant decisions of when to leak information at certain times.

overall this was a great read, I'd highly recommen
J
Is the enemy of her enemy a friend…or a beast?

Lord Ashworth is scarred by a night of terror years ago that left his face in ruins and his life in shreds. He hides in Silverstone Manor, using rumors that paint him as a horrible, murdering monster to keep visitors at bay. Yet he can’t shake the feeling that the rumors might be true. He tells himself it’s better this way. If his memories ever resurface, at least he will be the only one hurt by them.

The woman on his doorstep, however, simply refuses
Paige
Weird.

Started off really weird with too many unknowns that were supposed to keep you interested. I'm not a fan of questions being asked until the end when the answers come out. If I wanted that I would be reading mysteries, not romances.

So the story starts with Vivian Suttley at Lord Charles Ashworth's front door to answer his mothers advertisement to marry him. She's running from her abusive husband to be, whom her father gave her too. Knowing if she's caught, Martin will kill her, she seeks
Meliana
Vivian Suttley melarikan diri dari laki-laki jahat yang akan menikahinya dan dia tahu tempat yang paling aman untuknya. Silverstone Manor, tempat Lord Ashword tinggal dan mengucilkan diri. Terdengar kabar, Lord Ashword adalah seorang monster dan membutuhkan seorang istri. Tanpa ragu Vivian menawarkan dirinya untuk menikah dengan Lord Ashword, karena dia yakin Martin, laki-laki yang ingin menikahinya dengan paksa, lebih monster daripada Lord Ashword.
Apa yang membuat Vivian begitu kukuh untuk meni
Leesa
I have been craving some kind of reinterpretation of a fairy tale, and with so many options, this is where I began. I found this book drew me in almost immediately, jumping in mid-scene. Our two main characters have already met, yet we the reader are still figuring out the e extenuating circumstances. Though by the end of the story, I didn't feel it was that close a relation to Beauty and the Beast - perhaps a distant cousin, twice removed.

Overall, there is a gothic novel vibe to this book, with
Kelley Pozza-adams
Ok, so I'm obsessed with Beauty and the Beast retellings. I snatched this off of Amazon without realizing it was erotica. That in itself isn't a bad thing if it's well done, but unfortunately this one was not. Do not add this to your shelf of fairy tale retellings.
Barbara ★
I'm a sucker for a tortured hero who pulls himself from society in order to protect others from himself. Of course, in these type of books, someone other than the hero is behind the evil that is happening and convincing the hero that he is the beast. Beauty Tempts the Beast is no different, Lord Ashworth blacks out and thinks he's done horrible things and hides himself away in his dark castle. When Vivian Suttley appears on his doorstep and invites herself to stay, Lord Ashworth is terrified tha ...more
Pam
not too bad It also had nice little mystery.Great adaption to the fairy tale.
Lynne weir
A nice sweet story, good for a light read
Cara
3.5 stars ... it's been a while since I read it, so I'm fuzzy on some of the details. As I recall, I think there were some grammatical issues/lack of line editing, which is really down to the publisher, but they were distracting. I found it a bit uneven in terms of characterization, and some of the sex scenes were a bit awkward.

Those were my major quibbles. I liked the suspense, the overall story, and the fact that there were multiple antagonists, and thought the resolution was satisfying.
Tami Copp
This book was not what I was expecting. It is very different then the fairy tale. Same basic plot, however it is very spicy, I mean there should be a R rating for this book. But it is well written and intriguing.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Has a slight gothic feel to it. The hero, Lord Ashworth, was scarred and has become reclusive at Silverstone Manor. But then Vivian Suttley shows up in hopes that he will give her refuge.
Deanne
An interesting take on the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast good story line and character build -up but I wish there is more to the ending of this novel .
Jen
I don't think I was particularly sure what was happening in this story. No tension to suck me in or anything like that.
Brianna
I thought this book was amazing. It had a great story line to it and so much passion as well as mystery
Lesley
Loved this reinterpretation of Beauty and the Beast. It kept me reading long after I should have been asleep.
Camylle
Great plot with awesome twists and turns, dark basements and a small boy who is so cute!
Maddux
Well written with an exciting conclusion. Just what I needed this week.
Amy
I wasn't expecting the sex scenes, so this book is MA, for sure.
  • Taming The Beast
  • Taming The Beast (Wife Inc., #3)
  • A Bed of Thorns and Roses
  • Beast (Naughtily Ever After, #3)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Once a Rake
  • Tapestry
  • Owning Arabella
  • With this Kiss
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • Healing Luke
  • The Beast (The Beast, #2)
  • Prisoner of Desire
  • Beast
  • Love Me Forever (Scottish Duo, #2)
I write romances, make jewelry, and sell homes. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my books.
More about Leslie Dicken...
A Tarnished Heart Improper Nights The Lady's Bargain The Iron Heart Taboo