Start by marking “My Bff” as Want to Read:
My Bff

My Bff

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When Control Freaks Collide... Brilliant, handsome and born into a world of class and wealth, Fitzwilliam Darcy learned early that giving your heart came with a price even he could not afford to pay. Musical prodigy Elizabeth Bennet used the ghosts of her past to scare away all chances for love in her future. Sparks fly when they meet; but will Darcy and Elizabeth crash an ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Meryton Press

To ask other readers questions about My Bff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Bff

Christina
First and foremeost, My BFF is a romantic comedy. Although many of the characters are Jane Austen inspired -- never before have you seen them like this. Yes, Darcy is handsome, rich and intelligient. And Elizabeth Bennet is beautiful, talented and witty. But the story author Ruth Phillips Oakland tells is far from typical. This modern day tale is filled with mystery, laughs and even a few delicious love scenes.

Following the typical Pride & Prejudice formula, Darcy and Elizabeth's first meeti
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
In this updated version of “Pride and Prejudice” Fitzwilliam Darcy is the billionaire CEO of The Darcy Company, who many years ago made the mistake of giving his heart to the wrong person. Now seven years later, his mistake still haunts him and he lives his life unattached, taking part in meaningless sex with models (only to satisfy his baser needs), and vowing to never love again. His younger sister, Georgiana, is soon to be attending the prestigious Longbourn School for the Arts in New York Ci ...more
Talia
I liked this book a lot. I will read it again. The thing that bothers me about modern takes on P & P is that Elizabeth is usually a genius, child prodigy, has a PhD, etc. I think we lose the simple country lass that captured Mr Darcy's heart with her impertinence with the modern portrayals. I still liked this book but someone please take pity on me and write a modern variation with a less gifted and more just-special-because-she-is-not-kissing-up-to-Darcy Elizabeth.
LadyTechie
A fun interesting read. I enjoy these different takes of a modern day Darcy and Liza.
Brittany
This was an interesting take on P&P. I wasn't a huge fan at the beginning of the book. I do not like it when books make Darcy into a complete horn-dog. Darcy is a gentlemen! At least I think he still would be today. But the book picked up for me, and he seems to become more respectable. Their friendship is really cute, and by the time they do get together, I am excited for them.

Esther
Perfectly well ritten. Enjoied myself all throghout the book. Liked how the new characters from other j.austen books were brought in.
One of the best modern versions of this great classic.
Perfect in every way.
Kathleen Crowell
not sure it's even worth trying to read more. I hate when the characters from the original are cookie-cluttered in to an adaptation. so far all the characters are terribly written and I've only read 10% of the book. Sorry to be so harsh. not sure I could get through more to see where the glowing reviews are coming from. not to mention the title...
anjuli
Had to add it to my DNF after 40%

Sadly, another book went to my DNF list. This book annoyed me. Story line was weak and I just did not care for the characters. The whole theme from the beginning was how "Mr. Darcy" wanted to have sex with Elizabeth and how hot she was. It just didn't work in this story for me. There are better adaptations.
Alexa
Ha...I started out giving it 3 stars, and then I really thought about it and had to change my mind. ;-)

I'm so glad to finally see some modern P&P fanfics hit the shelves...there is such a range of possibilities with the story! And this is definitely a good one. The author does a great job of building up the tension between Lizzy and Darcy. I really hope to see more of Ms. Oakland's work in the future.
Elmo
3 minus. Parts of the story were very nice, but the whole Frannie Bennet/Billy Collins story was way over the top and I found the part about Pierre Estoban totally unbelievable.
Shy
One of the few modern variations I've liked so far, mostly due to witty dialogue. The husband/boyfriend nickname conversations are priceless.
Lynne Robson
Fantastic read loved the way that Caroline turned out to be an hero for Darcy and Elizabeth
Alice
Mar 11, 2010 Alice added it
Yes, it's like eating really good chocolate and expensive red wine...sinfully delish!
Pamela
This is a very good modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice.
Sonya
A excellent modern story about Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth.
Angie Fisher
I was hooked from the beginning!
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Hayz
Hayz marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Treece
Treece marked it as to-read
Shan Shan
Shan Shan marked it as to-read
Leslie D
Leslie D marked it as to-read
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jessica Gelatt
Jessica Gelatt marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice (Memory, #1)
  • To Have His Cake (and Eat It Too): Mr. Darcy's Tale
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love.
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy An Honourable Man
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
Ruth Phillips Oakland was born and raised in Central Pennsylvania where she dreamed of far off places and romantic heros; however, it wasn't until her discovery of the wit and wisdom of Jane Austen that she was inspired to write. Ruth firmly believes that every woman has a romance novel within her, she was simply fortunate enough to put hers to keyboard and have it published. Inspired by the works ...more
More about Ruth Phillips Oakland...