Pretty is as Pretty Dies (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #1)

Pretty is as Pretty Dies (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  40 reviews
No-one in Bradley, NC, is exactly crying into their sweet tea over the murder of Parke Stockard. Upon discovering the corpse, retired schoolteacher Myrtle Clover is struck, not by grief, but an idea! Solving the murder would prove to everyone, especially her son Red, the police chief, that this 80-something is still as sharp as a tack.
Published August 8th 2009 by Midnight Ink

A Killer Plot by Ellery AdamsGlazed Murder by Jessica BeckA Slice of Murder by Chris CavenderBuried in a Book by Lucy ArlingtonSmoky Mountain Tracks by Donna Ball
North Carolina Mysteries
15th out of 103 books — 7 voters
Southern Mystical Moments by Patricia H. GrahamMoonlight on the Nantahala by Micheal RiversGhosts of the North Carolina Shores by Micheal RiversHillbilly Tales from the Smoky Mountains - And Other Homespun... by Patricia H. GrahamPast, Present, and Promises by Patricia H. Graham
North Carolina Setting and/or Author
125th out of 152 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingrid Parker
I give this book ★★★★★★ and a♥!
OMG...can't stop laughing. this woman is the best. She is "Ms Marple" come to life, with a family that is great in personality, vitality and humor. I can SEE them. This is what reading is all about.

Chapter 15 took a while to complete due to the laughter. I put the book down a number of times to compose myself, and waited for my laughter to subside to continue.

This book ROCKED!!! Please continue to create many more Mrtyle Clover mysteries.
Laura Cushing
The very first book in the Myrtle Clover series - I read this series a bit out of order, as I had picked up other books while they were on sale on Kindle. This one I had to pay full price for- but it was worth it, because I really wanted to see where the story began.

Here is where Myrtle meets her sidekick Miles for the first time, and where you get to meet many residents of her small town. This is a great start to the series, and octegenarian sleuth Myrtle Clover is well worth the read.
Casceil
This book has some very funny moments, and I'm glad I read it, but I'm not sure I will read any more of the series. The protagonist/detective is Miss Myrtle (an obvious take on Miss Marple), an octogenarian in a small town who solves crimes by collecting gossip and interrogating her neighbors. Her son Red is the chief of police and is always trying to find other things to keep her occupied so she will stay out of his cases and not put herself in danger. Red lives across the street from Miss Myrt...more
Mason
2143 Wooddale Drive
Woodburg, Minn.
ISBN: 978-0-7387-1480-6
Paperback, 214 pages, $13.95

Retired schoolteacher Myrtle Clover is not ready to be shuffled off to an assisted living home in her small Southern town.

Her son Red, who’s also the police chief, decides to sign her up for the Altar Guild and United Methodist Women to keep her busy. But, Myrtle wants nothing to do with that.

Over night a village of a hundred gnom...more
Clarissa Draper
Genre: Cozy Mystery
How I read it: Kindle for PC

What attracted me to the book: The title and the awesome cover! Love the gnomes. Maybe because I love the TV show Amazing Race.

Who should read this book: If you love cozy mysteries set in small American towns with great characters and witty banter... it's for you!

Summary (from amazon): No one in Bradley, North Carolina, is exactly crying into their sweet tea over the murder of Parke Stockard. Certainly not retired schoolteacher Myrtle Clover. Upon d...more
Nancy
A fun beginning for what I hope is an ongoing series!!! I want more Myrtle :-)
Myrtle is a woman of a "certain age" who finds herself with way too much time on her hands and of course manages to find some trouble (or more trouble) along the way.
Ms. Craig's character development is sharp and fun. You are instantly drawn to Myrtle as well as no doubt reminded of a grandmother, aunt or the lady from church that everyone knows!! The love her son Red has for her is tempered with his absolute frustra...more
Judy King
It's been a long time since I've read a cozy mystery -- Pretty is as Pretty Dies didn't disappoint! Myrtle is the Red's mom and he's the police chief and lives just across the street in this small town. You might think that would keep this Methodist Altar Committee member walking the straight and narrow -- instead she just can't help herself and is driven to get the inside info on the murder of the town's rich, pretty, snobby newcomer. So off she goes to visit shut-ins, lay on another plate of g...more
Krista Ivy
An eighty-something woman with a cane wants to prove to her son, the Chief of Police in their small town that she is in full possession of all of her with and cunning by solving a murder case before he does. This book is funny and a good sort of Who Done It.
Maria E
Not the best cosy mystery I've read lately. I really don't see myself continuing this series mainly because I can't stand Myrtle. She gets a thought into her head and tries to prove it instead of following the evidence.
Katherine
Very long and drawn out... not very humorous.
Laura Marcella
Elizabeth Spann Craig's cozy mystery was so fun to read! I was hooked just from the short prologue. The main character, Myrtle Clover, is a hoot! She's an eighty-something, six foot tall, cane wielding mother of the police chief, and she isn't afraid to tell people exactly what's in her sharp mind! The other characters were terrific, too; I especially liked Erma and Miles! I really enjoyed following Myrtle as she pursued one clue after another. Does she crack the case before the killer cracks he...more
Jean Barrington
A wonderful story with Myrtle Clover, her friends, family, and even those she doesn't like and how Myrtle strives to solve the murder mystery of her small, southern town. Myrtle who is in her early 80's, a retired literature teacher and mother of the police chief is a character you can't help but love. The woman has spunk! To quote from the back cover, "Even when another muder takes place, pround Myrtle forges on, armed only with a heavy cane, a venomous tongue, and a widower sidekick."
You're go...more
Jane Kennedy
If the photo of the gnomes on the front cover of Pretty is as Pretty Dies hadn’t already convinced me that I would enjoy reading this book, the very first sentence would have. I was drawn into the town of Bradley, North Carolina immediately. Myrtle and the other characters seemed so real that I felt like I’d known them my whole life, making their escapades a hoot to follow. This was an entertaining read from beginning to end. I’m looking forward to more Myrtle Clover crime solving adventures.
Lindsay Storie
I really like this series, I own 3/4 of the books in the series. Not too serious of a plot. Myrtle is an octogenarian who puts out her gnomes out in the front yard when her and her son are having an argument. She is sharper than other give her credit for and is not ready for the Greener Pastures Nursing Home. Her side kick is Miles, a sixty some odd year old who is a great catch because he still has his drivers license. Really light-hearted quirky, laughable series!
Sarai
I did not finish this book. I picked it up because of the cover art - garden gnomes holding axes and looking sinister. However, I did not like the writing style. There were too many characters and the author switched POV too often and without warning, so I had to keep going back to reread something to figure out who was leading the story at that point. Because of that, I really couldn't get involved in what was happening.
Mendy
Library find... I did not read the 1st book in this series and I can't find it available at the library or at my online clubs. I wish I could because Myrtle Clover is a spunky octogenarian that likes to get in to mischief. Her police chief son tries to steer her away with red herrings but he just can't seem to keep her away for long.

Nice story about an elderly woman that isn't frail and frightened. :O)
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a new author for me and I truly was lead to her by reading another series that she pens under another name. I cheated and read the copyright information.

I loved this book. Mrytle actually reminds me of someone I know. I loved her schemes and ploys that were utilized to solve this crime. I won't give away any plot but it was a well-formed murder and I hope to read more in this series.
Kelly
I somehow came across this series, while searching for books. This reminds me of the Miss Julia books which are among my very favorite. I did find several inconsistencies that should have been caught in editing. These aren't enough to keep me from reading the series, but they do bug the English teacher in me. If you love a clean, funny mystery, then this is a series you should read.
Melissa Mayhew
This book was just ok for me. I read it mostly because the summer reading program (for prizes) said I had to read a mystery. This is not usually my genre, but the librarian recommended it. I found the story to be a little slow for me, but it was set in the south, so that makes sense. I did skip to the end to check my prediction about the murderer, and I was right.
Susan
Myrtle Clover is in her 80's, as sharp as any retired English teacher, and really unhappy that her son, the local police chief, thinks she needs some quiet activities, like the Altar Guild. At her first meeting, however, she finds the body of a much-disliked local real estate promoter, and determines to beat her son to finding the culprit.
Ngdecker
This was the first in the series about Myrtle Clover, an 80 year old who loves to get involved in solving mysteries. I have read the other 3, but it was fun to see the beginning of some relationships. I enjoy these books for light reading and appreciate the humor the author uses.
Tammy
A fun read, wouldn't mind reading more. I love how she used the gnomes to express her displeasure with her son!
Pat Frank
Myrtle Clover is a bored octogenarian that loves a good mystery and is determined to solve a murder in her small town, much to the displeasure of her son, the Chief of Police.

This series is clever and funny and the mysteries are fun to solve along with Myrtle.
Christina Goggin
Light easy read

I really liked this book. it was a light easy read. I love books where I can really get to know the characters almost as if I lived in the town with these people. I am looking forward to the other books in the series.
Elizabeth
first in the series of cozy mysteries.It's cute, a senior citizen solving a mystery. Probably won't read more as there so many other better books on my llst.
Krista
A small town mystery starring an old lady. The mystery was so-so, and while the text had amusing characters, I just never fell in love with them or the story.
Alice
Myrtle Clover is annoying --mostly self-centered.

80 year old still feuding with her son. Assumes everyone is available to do what she wants done.
Glenda
Funny cozy about an 80 year old retired English teacher "helping" her chief of police son solve a murder. #1 in the Myrtle Clover mystery series.
Corby Collins
Aug 29, 2009 Corby Collins is currently reading it
I am friends with the author and just received my copy with a special mention in the acknowledgements! I can not wait to get into it!
Mary  (Biblophile)
What a hoot this charming cozy turned out to be. Myrtle had me laughing out loud at her antics.
North Carolina Go...: P is for Pretty is as Pretty Dies 1 2 Jun 09, 2014 04:25PM
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • A Question of Proof (Nigel Strangeways, #1)
  • Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2)
  • Iced Chiffon
  • Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery #1)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Mystery Shorts, #1)
  • Moonlighting In Vermont (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #1)
  • Chili con Carnage (Chili Cook-Off #1)
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Pink Balloons and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin, #1)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Advice
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
Elizabeth’s latest book is "Rubbed Out": book four of the Memphis Barbeque mysteries (written as Riley Adams). Her next book, "Quilt Trip" (written as Elizabeth Craig) releases December 2013. Elizabeth writes the Memphis Barbeque series for Penguin/Berkley (as Riley Adams), the Southern Quilting mysteries for Penguin/Signet, and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink and independently. Find out...more
More about Elizabeth Spann Craig...
A Body in the Backyard (Myrtle Clover Mystery #4) Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3) A Dyeing Shame (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #2) Quilt or Innocence (A Southern Quilting Mystery, #1) Knot What It Seams: A Southern Quilting Mystery