Start by marking “Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data” as Want to Read:
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews

This unique book is geared to help any library keep its website dynamically and collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, and provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.

Nicole C. Engard and 25 contributors from all over the world share definitions, tools, techniques, and real life applications. Examples range from ways to allow those w

Published January 1st 2009 by Information Today

To ask other readers questions about Library Mashups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Mashups

Paul Fournier
All in all a very interesting insight into how Libraries and Librarians are trying to take advantage of the many opportunities offered by Web 2.0 services. This book was especially helpful for me as I'm new to the world of Libraries as a technology consultant. Some of the content of the book is started to feel a little outdated but such is the nature of trying to write about technology. Regardless, I remain grateful for having all this information conveniently compiled for my convenience.

I'm ver
Eric Phetteplace
Apr 07, 2012 Eric Phetteplace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: web services librarians
Shelves: lis-web
Unfortunately, 2009 was ages ago in terms of web services so almost every chapter in Library Mashups suffers a bit. Many links are broken, such as Microsoft's PopFly (popfly.com redirects to the Bing search for popfly, in what is one of the most asinine ways to twilight a service I've ever seen), while others have substantially changed in nature, from Delicious in its new ownership to the more minor changes between SIMILE Exhibit's version 2 & version 3.0. Nonetheless, this book was conceptu ...more
Alison
Good definition of mashups and intro to approach followed by applications in libraries. Interesting use cases and examples although some of them already feel a bit dated which is more to do with how fast moving this field is rather than any limitation of the book. This is a good collection of early adopters and I'm looking forward to reading the recent follow up to see how things have moved on.
John Porter
Although after a while my head was reeling from all of the acronyms and terminology, this book is a good demonstration of libraries’ creative use of mashups. Whether used to add value to library services, to access new resources, to improve access to existing resources, or to disseminate the library’s own information, mashups can be cheap, customisable, and dynamic technological solutions.[return][return]Despite the variety of library contexts given in the book, each of the articles reinforces t ...more
Jen Johnson
With each chapter a separate contribution, this title has a good range of mashup difficulty, from embedding Flickr pictures on your website to modifying APIs. One drawback is that the book is now a bit dated (published 2009) BUT there is a new title just out, More Library Mashups, so combined I bet they are a great resource.
Appendix with websites and a glossary of tech terms at the end are a nice addition.
Mckinley
Web based projects
Cal Pearson
Geared to help any library keep its website dynamically/collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.
Cat Fithian
Skimmed. Good resource to remember if working on more web-based projects, using web2.0 to delivery library services or data. Too technical for "average" reader.
Johanna
I'm reading this for a class I'm taking.

Learned some useful stuff for work, but few library books are thrillingly enjoyable to read.
Nicole Engard
Jan 14, 2010 Nicole Engard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data by Nicole C. Engard (2009)
Lisa
Sadly, I had to return this before I finished. So I'll try again later.
Sadaf Ismail
Sadaf Ismail marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
M Aghazarian
M Aghazarian marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Theaardvark01
Theaardvark01 marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Hans Gremmen
Hans Gremmen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Wednesday
Wednesday marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Lee
Lee added it
Nov 01, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Foreverlikeegmail.com
Foreverlikeegmail.com marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nicole is the Vice President of Education at ByWater Solutions. In her over ten years in libraries she has dedicated herself to educating librarians about technologies both on her site web2learning.net and in person with a focus on open source. In 2010 she authored 'Practical Open Source Software for Libraries' and regularly writes for various library outlets about open source for libraries.
More about Nicole C. Engard...
The Accidental Systems Librarian, Second Edition Practical Open Source Software for Libraries More Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data Chandos Information Professional Series