Start by marking “Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data” as Want to Read:
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

This unique book is geared to help any library keep its website dynamically and collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, and provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.

Nicole C. Engard and 25 contributors from all over the world share definitions, tools, techniques, and real life applications. Examples range from ways to allow those w

Published January 1st 2009 by Information Today

To ask other readers questions about Library Mashups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Mashups

Paul Fournier
Sep 24, 2014 Paul Fournier rated it really liked it
All in all a very interesting insight into how Libraries and Librarians are trying to take advantage of the many opportunities offered by Web 2.0 services. This book was especially helpful for me as I'm new to the world of Libraries as a technology consultant. Some of the content of the book is started to feel a little outdated but such is the nature of trying to write about technology. Regardless, I remain grateful for having all this information conveniently compiled for my convenience.

I'm ver
Eric Phetteplace
Apr 07, 2012 Eric Phetteplace rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: web services librarians
Shelves: lis-web
Unfortunately, 2009 was ages ago in terms of web services so almost every chapter in Library Mashups suffers a bit. Many links are broken, such as Microsoft's PopFly (popfly.com redirects to the Bing search for popfly, in what is one of the most asinine ways to twilight a service I've ever seen), while others have substantially changed in nature, from Delicious in its new ownership to the more minor changes between SIMILE Exhibit's version 2 & version 3.0. Nonetheless, this book was conceptu ...more
Alison
Dec 28, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: iddilica, citylis
Good definition of mashups and intro to approach followed by applications in libraries. Interesting use cases and examples although some of them already feel a bit dated which is more to do with how fast moving this field is rather than any limitation of the book. This is a good collection of early adopters and I'm looking forward to reading the recent follow up to see how things have moved on.
John Porter
Dec 28, 2011 John Porter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis
Although after a while my head was reeling from all of the acronyms and terminology, this book is a good demonstration of libraries’ creative use of mashups. Whether used to add value to library services, to access new resources, to improve access to existing resources, or to disseminate the library’s own information, mashups can be cheap, customisable, and dynamic technological solutions.[return][return]Despite the variety of library contexts given in the book, each of the articles reinforces t ...more
Jen Johnson
Apr 29, 2015 Jen Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
With each chapter a separate contribution, this title has a good range of mashup difficulty, from embedding Flickr pictures on your website to modifying APIs. One drawback is that the book is now a bit dated (published 2009) BUT there is a new title just out, More Library Mashups, so combined I bet they are a great resource.
Appendix with websites and a glossary of tech terms at the end are a nice addition.
Tina Panik
Dec 23, 2015 Tina Panik rated it really liked it
Transformative, creative thinking. This book will change the way you deliver content to your patrons.
Mckinley
May 14, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Web based projects
Dwight Walker
Jan 24, 2016 Dwight Walker marked it as to-read
looks fantastic!
Cal Pearson
Jul 10, 2009 Cal Pearson rated it really liked it
Geared to help any library keep its website dynamically/collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.
Cat Fithian
Skimmed. Good resource to remember if working on more web-based projects, using web2.0 to delivery library services or data. Too technical for "average" reader.
Johanna
Apr 13, 2011 Johanna rated it liked it
I'm reading this for a class I'm taking.

Learned some useful stuff for work, but few library books are thrillingly enjoyable to read.
Nicole Engard
Jan 14, 2010 Nicole Engard rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data by Nicole C. Engard (2009)
Lisa
Aug 28, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Sadly, I had to return this before I finished. So I'll try again later.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Cathy
Cathy added it
May 18, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Boat McBoatface
Boat McBoatface rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Katy Stoddard
Katy Stoddard rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Pat Kiser
Pat Kiser marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Nicole LeBoeuf
Nicole LeBoeuf rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Erica Bruce
Erica Bruce rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2015
Sadaf Ismail
Sadaf Ismail marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
M Aghazarian
M Aghazarian marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nicole is the Vice President of Education at ByWater Solutions. In her over ten years in libraries she has dedicated herself to educating librarians about technologies both on her site web2learning.net and in person with a focus on open source. In 2010 she authored 'Practical Open Source Software for Libraries' and regularly writes for various library outlets about open source for libraries.
More about Nicole C. Engard...