Start by marking “Burn” as Want to Read:
Burn

Burn

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,609 ratings  ·  224 reviews
She escaped the fire--but not the effects of the burn.

Janeal has long felt trapped in her father's Gypsy culture. Then one night a powerful man named Salazar Sanso promises her the life she longs for--if she will help recover a vast sum of money tied to her father.

When the plan implodes, Sanso and his men attack the gypsy settlement and burn it to the ground. During the bl
Published January 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Burn, please sign up.

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
208th out of 1,715 books — 2,077 voters
Black by Ted DekkerRed by Ted DekkerWhite by Ted DekkerThr3e by Ted DekkerHouse by Ted Dekker
Ted Dekker Books
25th out of 51 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Starr Light
Seventeen year old Janeal Mikkado wants nothing more than to leave her gypsy home. Salazar Sanso apprehends her one day and coerces her into a deal - he will spare Janeal's father, who is making a deal with the DEA, if Janeal can find the $1million her father is hiding. This leads to a explosive confrontation which changes her life - along with the life of her boyfriend, Robert.

DNF at page 193; skimmed the rest.

NOTE: I received this through the Amazon Vine Program. Trust me, that didn't help the
Pathway
In true Dekker style this book will have you on the edge of your seat as you flip the pages. ( I listened to this book on audio, so it had me gripping the steering wheel a little hard a points!) Much in the style of Thr3e by Dekker and Peretti, this book will have you guessing to the very end of what is going on and what will happen next. I have yet to find one of Dekker's books that is predictable. He seems to kill the people you think he will spare and swists the storyline in ways you never th ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
You know the saying… don’t judge a book by its cover? Well I usually do. Maybe it’s my artist sensibility, but good covers usually mean good books (because well published authors usually hire professional artists). This book has an incredibly appealing cover that gives you a sense of the duality and a character at odds. Let’s see what our reviewer thought.

Brought to you by OBS staff member Katlyn

Summary
The past Janeal thought had burned away is rising fro
Lillie Roberts
Janeal is the manipulator, at first she denies what she is, and at first she telling the truth. But when circumstances spiral beyond her control, then she becomes what life forces to be. She learns quickly that looking out for herself needs to be her top priority. She believes that she's the only survivor from her father's Gypsy Kumpania.

Robert, Janeal's teen boyfriend, believes he is the only survivor from the massive fire and the destruction of their camp by the hands of drug lord Salazar Sans
Mark A Powell
The latest tag-team effort from Dekker and Healy focuses on Janeal Mikkado, a young woman whose choices lead her to be faced with a life-or-death decision concerning her best friend...and what she does in that moment will alter the course of her life forever. Although conceptually intriguing, this book falls flat. The major ‘twist’ of this book is so improbable (and never fully explained) that it simply fails to hold together what little story there is.
Sheree
Burn is a thrilling and unusual suspense novel with page-turning pace and a supernatural twist that I really didn't see coming. It's also my first Ted Dekker novel and although I was unaware at the time of reading, my first foray into Christian suspense. While the story drew me in from the first page, I wasn't able to make the emotional connection with the characters I had hoped for. The intensity and intricacies of the plot carried me through the pages to the totally unexpected and thematic end ...more
Denisse
Another amazing Dekker book, now with Erin Healy as Co-author. This book will make you want to choose the best of yourself.

Lectura increíble, si sabes tenerle paciencia.
Como una admiradora del trabajo de Dekker, a mi en lo muy particular me gusto mucho. Aunque tal vez el libro pudiera llegar a ser algo aburrido y lento para otras personas.

El libro habla mucho sobre las decisiones que tomamos, la forma en que las vemos...de forma moral, o practica...como una sola decisión puede afectar el resto q
Yo Leo Ficción Cristiana
description

RESEÑA COMPLETA

Encontré algunos comentarios por allí, de personas que creen que Beso y Llamas son una bilogía pero eso NO es cierto. Ambas fueran escritas por los mismos autores pero tienen historias completamente diferentes y no se relacionan entre sí.
Linda
Jan 14, 2010 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: won from BookReporter.com
Shelves: reviewed
I won this book to write a review, I probably would have never chosen this book on my own. It is labeled as "fiction Christian suspense." The first part of the story ends when a resident camp is destroyed by a fire set by a drug lord. Fearing for the safety of survivors, the authorities say all were killed. The rest of the book tells how the survivors evade the drug lord and reunite. This was an o.k. book - nothing great, not bad.
Keiki Hendrix
Ambition, envy, betrayal, jealousy, and greed - all active and well in each persons heart are allowed to run free in the main character of Burn, the newest novel by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy.

Janeal Mikkado is young and ambitious. Only 17 when the book opens, Janeal is confronted with a choice that later shapes her life and impacts every other person she loves.

She makes an unwise choice. Her heart is not in check and she chooses money over her family, her friends, and her own life. She leaves her
Mishel Zabala
I didn't know this was considered Christian fiction until just recently and I never noticed the fact that Thomas Nelson was a Christian publisher. I don't read a lot of Christian fiction, again not for any particular reason. I read books based on my interest in the synopsis, and this one definitely grabbed my attention. However, I didn't get a real sense of the Christian faith or religion while reading. There is some reference to God but I personally felt it was more of a spirtual thing for the ...more
I am always reluctant to categorize Ted Dekker as a “Christian author” because this tends to close off a good many readers who are not eager to read preachy novels. This is not the best Ted Dekker novel I have read but, as usual, Dekker does a fair job of presenting moral dilemmas in a manner that makes one think without feeling “God shoved down one’s throat” – this title seems to ride that line of “preachy” more than some of his other titles. Maybe the “not his best” verdict comes because I am ...more
Amanda Croley
Janeal Mikkado grew up as an interloper in her families Gypsy Kumpania, because her mother was white. The fact that her father is their leader is probably the only reason she is tolerated. When she meets Salazar Sanso, a powerful criminal mastermind, she is pulled into his web of greed, and deceit. Sanso wants Janeal to steal a million dollars her father has in cash, given to him by the DEA to turn over Sanso. In exchange he will spare her fathers life. He doesn't care about the money itself, he ...more
Krista
This book is fast paced, and action packed with a touch of the supernatural thrown in to heighten the suspense. It is in a genre I don’t usually read, Christian Suspense. For me it was a relief that the first mention of a Christian precept didn’t appear until about halfway through the book.

Jeneal Mikkado, is a 17 year-old member of a gypsy ‘kumpania’ (community). She is thrust in the middle of a struggle between her father who is the leader of the camp and a drug kingpin, Salazar Sanso. A fire
Tayler K
I was torn between 2 and 3 stars for this. Then I tried to imagine how I'd feel about it if the cover wasn't so captivating, and I gave it a 2.

It was not bad. And since Erin Healy is a new and different writer, perhaps I should have been prepared for it to be more different than I expected from the many other things I've read by Ted Dekker. But for some reason I was thinking it wouldn't really matter. Oh well.

First of all, multiple-year jumps in a story are always jarring and I always feel che
Carla
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
The ending blew the rating imo. I should have expected a somewhat surprising end from just reading the cover, but that was too much of a stretch. I've decided I don't have to like (or even respect) the main character of a story, but I still want justice dammit! She got off too easy for her immature actions of a 17 year old. Yes, I know, expecting maturity at 17 isn't the norm in the 21th Century, but I still hold 17 year olds accountable for things like, oh....I don't know...cau
Mallory Kellogg
I must stop buying books for their covers.

This book dragged. As a rule, Ted Dekker is usually not my style, but the cover was just so damn beautiful I had to buy it. Plus, it was on clearance at Mardel. But when I got to reading it, this book was like dead weight. The beginning was infuriatingly sexist, with the Gypsies not believing in showing anything below the waist (including feet). Doesn't stop them from fornicating like rabbits, but it's still "taboo" to see. The second part of the book wa
Shane
The story sucked me in quickly, the characters captured me fully, the suspense kept me guessing and the ending left me regretting my decision to finish this book. I don't know if they wrote themselves into a corner, or weren't sure what to do with the characters to put together a happy, thought provoking ending; either way it fell short of my expectations.

The theme of the book was very well thought out and perfectly executed. I never had a doubt about the message the authors were trying to conv
Becca Campbell
An action-packed story full of mystery that kept me on my toes. My only complaint was that it took me a bit to get into the story because I found the protagonist difficult to connect with and was frustrated by her choices. Despite this, it kept my attention. Midway through, a typical Dekker twist gave the payback I needed to consider this book a win.

I can say without a doubt that I am a fan of the Dekker/Healy combined efforts. Kiss is one of my favorite books and Burn, while not surpassing its
Hannah
Alright, so this book was defiantly good, but I had some issues with it. I loved the characters and the idea (and the book cover), but the ending and the lack of explanation really irked me. I expected some big, blowout ending that would downright knock my socks off. That's how the authors seemed to set up the plot, at least. But, as I read the last page, I found myself surprised. Nothing was explained, and I though there would be at least five more chapters to wrap things up. But, no. Dekker se ...more
Steven
My disappointment with this book began mildly enough: another contemporary novel opening "in media res" with gun play or similar suspicious activity (surveillance in this case) involving characters we know nothing about and the outcome of which could not be less interesting. This is more a symptom of contemporary publishing than a complaint about Decker--whose other works I have enjoyed.

The next problem was the unnatural dialogue, particularly for teens. The teens speak like adults in this book.
Audrey Grant
I enjoyed this book up until the last 1/3 of it. It was an intriguing book with a great story line and fascinating characters. Until It got weird with the split person. Once he got into the two people being the same one. One being the good half and one being the bad. It just lost me for interest and believablity both. I finished the book, but was disappointed that this was the way he chose to decide on ending and resolving this book.
Not a favorite.
Goel
An enjoyable book. It was a little hard to follow at times. Sometimes even after rereading a page I wasn't sure what happened. I mostly figured it out after the story continued on. You can always count on Ted Dekker to throw in something unexpected and thought provoking.
The book is definitely geared for adults or should I say grownups. There is nothing sleazy, only the situations and issues are not relate-able to kids and young adults.
Christine Barfknecht
Great concept, not so great execution. I loved the idea of good versus evil and the implication that both exist within all of us. We all have our good and bad sides and Jeaneal Mikkado is no exception.

I found the opening interesting and enjoyed the gypsy camp setting however, I was 60% of the way through the book before it really hooked me. Normally, I wouldn't give a book that much of a chance but a few little things kept me reading.

From what I've seen, several reviewers were't pleased with the
Natalia
I am in love with Ted Dekker's books;however, this one failed to grasp my attention. I found myself 250 pages into the book still uninterested. The beginning was captivating, but the plot quickly began to drag. I really wish I had enjoyed it more. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Debra
in the beginning this book had a lot of potential. however in the middle the authors decided to throw in a plot twist that I personally thought was stupid. I think the book would have been better without it. from there the book was very predictable and uninteresting
I didn't like it. I don't appreciate his writing style. It was hard to follow. And the premise of the book was stupid. The story line was light and the characters were shallow. I'll give a couple more of his books a try, but I'm not expecting much.
Ricardo
I could understand the concept the authors were trying to get across, the duality of good and bad that exists in everybody, but the execution in the plot, the characters, and the dialogue was terrible
Michelle Jones
Uu-put-down-able!

The book was thrilling but still had deep messages about the choices we make and our need to give ourselves up to God (without being too preachy.)
Kristen
I finally gave up on this one, like it's predecessor, "Kiss" this book is interesting but drawn out and boring to follow.
  • Never Let You Go
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)
  • Haunt of Jackals (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #2)
  • Eyes of Elisha
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • Illusion
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Plague Maker
  • Shade
  • Scream
  • Predator
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...
Thr3e Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) House