Start by marking “The Telling (Seasons of Grace, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Telling (Seasons of Grace, #3)

The Telling (Seasons of Grace #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,141 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
Grace Byler leaves Bird-in-Hand in a fancy car to search for her mother in Ohio. But what if Lettie Byler doesn't wish to be found? Meanwhile, Lettie continues her private quest to find the missing piece of her life. As clues take her from state to state, she is increasingly torn between the family she has left behind and the yearning for her long-lost child.
Struggling to
Published April 6th 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Telling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Telling

Murder Freshly Baked by Vannetta ChapmanThe Shunning by Beverly  LewisWhen the Heart Cries by Cindy WoodsmallThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  Lewis
Best of Amish Fiction
42nd out of 354 books — 341 voters
The Shunning by Beverly  LewisThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  LewisThe Fiddler by Beverly  LewisThe Parting by Beverly  Lewis
Amish Fiction
19th out of 123 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Guy
This book is truly groan worthy. The only reason I suffered through it, is because I read the first two in this trilogy.

I love Amish fiction, and I think that's why I'm drawn to Lewis' books. She's the Danielle Steel of that genre. And like Steel, too many books has taken away the "goodness" in her stories.

Everything is too formulated now. Perhaps that's the fault of a publisher that wants to make money off trilogies, when Lewis' stories would better be told in one longer volume.

That's the pro
MAP
Lynda
Sep 27, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
Well, I goofed. I thought this was Book 2 of the Triology called "Seasons of Grace". I figured out it might not be #2 about 3/4 the way through. Didn't bother me though because I never missed #2. Literally you can skip #2 completely and it won't hurt this book at all.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE NOT READ #1, "The Secret". You won't enjoy this book if you do.

I have to agree with some other reviewers who have voiced they are very tired of trilogies that are not very long when it could be one
Beverly Telfer
Apr 19, 2010 Beverly Telfer rated it did not like it
The story was very predictable. As soon as I read that Heather was adopted, I knew what was going to happen, but the worst thing about this book is Beverly Lewis implying that a special diet will cure cancer. I think that is VERY irresponsible of her. Hopefully no one will be influenced by this book to bypass medical treatment and treat cancer with some kind of diet!!
Janice Aitkens
Sep 18, 2013 Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing
I read this on the Kindle

This was a great book & a great series you do need to read the 3 book series in order

It tells of a mother who leaves her home she has a secret then it goes to tell a story of how the family are missing her & her struggles the last book which is the Telling you learn what the secret is & if all comes right
Marlene
Feb 23, 2015 Marlene rated it really liked it
It was another novel by the best selling author Beverly Lewis. She does a good job of helping the reader understand some of the Amish customs. It was the story of an Amish woman who had birthed a baby out of wedlock and was adopted out, but it was kept a secret from her curch community and her future husband. It troubled her all her life and she went in search of her child. She had to make a public confession before the church community and ask forgiveness for her "sin". Her daughter had found h ...more
Kristin
The Telling is part 3 in the Seasons of Grace trilogy by Beverly Lewis and it is absolutely the best out of the three. I bawled through half of the story because it was just so beautiful!

In this book, Grace and her new friend Heather take off to Ohio in search of Grace's mother who has left her family under mysterious circumstances. They arrive, only to find out that Lettie has already left and Grace is forced to return home without her. She returns home with a heavy heart as the brethren are di
Jun 30, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: THE TELLING
Author: Beverly Lewis
Publisher: Bethany House
May 2010
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0573-6
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Grace Byler and her English friend, Heather, have left Grace’s Amish community to seek for Grace’s run-away mother. The brethren are discussing shunning Lettie Byler if she isn’t home within a week. Grace and Heather do a lot of talking on the long car trip, getting to know each other better, but the arrival in Ohio doesn’t help them find Lettie at all. Instead, they discover s
Mindy Detweiler
May 06, 2010 Mindy Detweiler rated it really liked it
I received this as an MP3 download from Christianaudio.com for my honest review. I received no payment for this review.

From GoodReads.com: Grace Byler leaves Bird-in Hand in a fancy car to search for her mother in Ohio. But what if Lettie Byler doesn't wish to be found? Meanwhile, Lettie continues her private quest to find the missing piece of her life. As clues take her from state to state, she is increasingly torn between the family she has left behind and the yearning for her long-lost child
Jennannej
The Telling is a sweet tale set in and around an Amish community of believers. As the book opens, Grace leaves the community to search for her missing mother, along with an "Englisher" friend. She returns home unsuccessful, but her mother does follow her home shortly after.

Grace's mother has a secret that she can no longer keep. Telling the secret will change the way their family is viewed in the community and affect the course of their lives.

The book deals with faith, past sins, forgiveness, co
Mayda
Sep 27, 2012 Mayda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, amish, christian
In this final novel of the Seasons of Grace trilogy, Lettie Byler is still searching for her lost child. Having left her family and the Amish community, she is seeking to right the mistakes she made years before, at the insistence of her parents. Her husband and children, especially Grace, are bewildered and hurt by Lettie’s disappearance. Her search is not fruitful, and she returns home in disgrace to face her family and the elders of the church. She may be shunned or she may be forgiven, but t ...more
Anne
Aug 22, 2015 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish-fiction
Meh, I think I might've had a little too much Amish fiction recently. The previous books were kind of soothing, but this one just felt like quilt- and making jam-yada yada to me. Also, it was a bit more religious than the previous two, which is not really my cup of tea.

I'm glad the story is finally wrapped up and all the loose endings were tied together, but really, I think it could've been told in 2 books as well. This one mostly involved prayers and heartaches and stretching the latter one ou
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The third and final book in the Seasons of Grace series. Like the previous two, this one picks up right at the end of the second book. Grace searches for her mother as Lettie searches for the child she gave up for adoption and Heather searches for her own answers. When Lettie returns home from her trip empty-handed, she must confess her past to her husband Judah and her church, a telling that could ruin her life forever, but one she must fulfill in order to heal.

As answers do finally come for ev
Rachael
Jun 12, 2010 Rachael rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars-- I really liked the first two books in this trilogy, so I had pretty high hopes for this one. Maybe it's been too long since I read the second book, but it just seemed like the conflict between Grace's parents seemed to magically disappear suddenly. I know that the Amish truly believe in forgiveness, so I get that part. But it just seemed like one page their marriage is completely rocky, and the next they've fallen in love all over again. I don't know.

I also had a problem wi
Brittany
Apr 15, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beverly Lewis fans, those intrigued by Amish, Christian romance readers
With great ease, by book #2 I discovered the long hidden secret. So why did I keep reading? To finish the series? No. Lewis writes about the Amish in a way that intrigues you past the point of her usually not well hidden plot mysteries. Being very intrigued by the Amish as it is, I feel Lewis has a very real insight into their lives and brings forth the Amish lifestyle in a refreshing way.

The love stories intertwined are always a reason to keep reading, because sometimes, despite them being the
Linda
Jun 28, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
I was pleased with this third and last book in the series much more so than the second. The second book seemed to lag for me but I made it through. This last book in the series moved along a lot quicker and I enjoyed the way the story wrapped up. I have always been fascinated with the Amish community and I overall enjoy reading books about them. I didn't necessarily agree with everything that happened in the book but I did enjoy it. Beverly Lewis is an engaging writer and I look forward to readi ...more
Brenda
Jan 26, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
Upon finding out her mom is Ohio, Grace sets off with her Englisher friend Heather to bring her mom home. Her mom not knowing her daughter is coming for her, leaves before Grace arrives. Grace returns home heartbroken, wondering if her mom knew and was trying to avoid her.
Heather returns home and enters detox at the wellness center. I will note that I learned a lot from her stay at the wellness center, I actually changed the way I eat because of this book, so it was unexpected to say the least.
Veronica
Apr 07, 2014 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Enjoyable and Thought Provoking

My rating is specific to this book because I felt the first 2 books dragged a little. This book tied up all the loose ends, which always makes me happy. Learning about Amish culture was interesting and, now, I want to visit a store just like Grace's.

There was only one "negative". I couldn't help but think that the results of Lettie's confession were too good to be true. Can any entire community be so forgiving? I would like to think so. The ending wasn't realistic,
Becki
Aug 09, 2010 Becki rated it really liked it
This is the third and final story in a series about an Amish woman who gives up a baby for adoption that was conceived out of wedlock. only she and her parents know about the baby and it burdens her for twenty years until a series of events leads her to look for the child. She leaves without telling her family where she is going causing difficulty and confusion for them.
The story is beautifully written and the lives of the Amish are entwined with the woman who has know clue of her Amish roots.
Clara Roberts
Oct 15, 2014 Clara Roberts rated it really liked it
This was an excellent novel. The theme was about a hidden sin committed years ago and its long term effect on the believing participate, her family and her community. The details of the confession of sin in the Amish community was vivid. Confessing ones sins before a whole congregation is awful. I felt this was a well researched and well written novel.
Staci
May 15, 2010 Staci rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Nothing brings a smile to my face like knowing that I'm about to read another Amish novel by Beverly Lewis. I love how my world seems to slow down and I really appreciate my life around me. Even though the mystery in her books is always easy to figure out, I still get excited when I get to venture into the Plain world. In this series, I thought Lewis did a great job of melding the Englisher and Amish lifestyles, showing that the two worlds can live in peace together. I found the idea of two Amis ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

This third book in the Seasons of Grace series is wonderful story of God's grace and redemption in our lives. I enjoyed the simple, yet deep storyline that brought to life a tale we are all too familiar with.

It was easy to follow yet held several unexpected turns or "hold ups" before the conclusion was found. The narration is wonderful and so authentic on this audio version that it drew me into the story even more than it would have through reading the book myself. I appreciated how th
jane trowbridge
Dec 21, 2014 jane trowbridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I love reading books by Beverly Lewis. Just keeping them coming. I

I also love books by her husband David. Specially Christmas stories. Keep writing such good STORIES. This three days before Christmas. God Bless.
Taylor
Jan 19, 2012 Taylor rated it really liked it
Lettie finally decides to come home, after her long search, which means she's going to have to confess if she wants to rejoin the Church. Heather starts her naturopathic treatment at the Lodge, with support from her newfound friend Grace, and an a Christian guy she met online. The conclusion to the book was all-around a good ending. I mean, I was expecting a bit more drama between Lettie and her husband before he forgave her. It was like, one page he's in shock and the next she's forgiven and it ...more
Jill
Jan 05, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant with the usual trial and tribulations used to tug at one's heartstrings. This is the typical tale of a woman acting outside of the Amish teaching and the path back to the flock. Predictable twists and turns until the very end.
Jun 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is an easy read and the story keeps you interested. It's a not a book to read if you're into suspense... it's pretty evident early on how things will turn out. A great story of mothers and daughters and coming to grips with our past.
Giulia Fiora
Mar 26, 2014 Giulia Fiora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

this was a great ending to the book series. I figured out the twist in the second book and enjoyed each second of it. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves Lewis's books.
Gail
Mar 03, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing
Karen Pierce
May 06, 2015 Karen Pierce rated it it was ok
This series could have easily been condensed into one book. Writing it for three books drew the story out much, much too far and created a very boring series, in my opinion.
Darlene Roy
May 08, 2014 Darlene Roy rated it it was amazing
I think this series is my favorite yet. The Telling wraps up the story of Grace's run away mother and I love the ending. I recommend as a must read series - Seasons of Grace.
What are some 'gut' Amish books 7 11 Jul 15, 2015 05:46PM
  • Plain Pursuit (Daughters of the Promise, #2)
  • A Sister's Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, #3)
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...

Seasons of Grace (3 books)
  • The Secret (Seasons of Grace, #1)
  • The Missing (Seasons of Grace, #2)