Start by marking “Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)” as Want to Read:
Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)

Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes #4)

Barnaby Grimes is a tick-tock lad, high-stacking his way across the rooftops of his city in search of adventure and mystery. In each tale, he encounters a supernatural force and must battle the horrors that await him.

In the fiercely competitive world of early photography, the rewards are immense but so are the risks. After an experiment goes disastrously wrong, Barnaby fin
Published 2010 by Corgi Books

To ask other readers questions about Phantom of Blood Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom of Blood Alley

Liz Brooks
Apr 21, 2016 Liz Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
Review to come.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
In the last review I wrote on this series, I commented that I was going to have to resign myself to this being a pretty straight-up action-adventure series without much in the way of character development.

I was pleasantly surprised, then, when in this book we get, well, not development, per se - as in character growth - but we do at least get more glimpses of Barnaby's character outside of just being a tick-tock lad and accidental adventurer.

I also liked the fact that there was more of a mystery
Cathrine Bonham
Sep 26, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it really liked it
This is, as far as i can tell, the last book in this very bizarre little series. It's kind of a horror, fantasy, mystery thing. I have enjoyed them all. I especially like the Victorian atmosphere that the setting invokes.

Barnaby Grimes is tick-tock lad who has a knack for getting involved with everything creepy, diabolical and just plain weird that goes on in his H. G. Wellian world.

This book was more mystery than the first three in the set in that it deals with an actual murder. After the pol
Chelsy
Ooooooh, this one was really creepy...
You got people getting (view spoiler) Looks like just another day for Barnaby.
Ellie
May 30, 2017 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-2017
*4.5 out of 5*

THIS. *GESTURES FRANTICALLY* T H I S.

THIS is why I love middle-grade so much. So often, YA and adult seem like they're trying hard to be a Proper Book. But Phantom of Blood Alley doesn't try. It simply overflows, spilling out of its binding and into my living room. It is unapologetically itself, and so is Barnaby Grimes, one of my new favorite protagonists.

This book is both humorous and suspenseful, topped with a cup of adventure and a liberal sprinkling of surprise. My eyes were
Rosa Cline
Jun 04, 2017 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, death, series-4, 2017

This series was a really good one! I found the series (all four books) at a local library book sale, as the librarian was putting them out she was telling me that they were a very popular pre teen series of both male and females. So since all four books were there my curiousity was 'lit' I brought them home and was glad I did. All four have been great.

This one Barnaby Grimes have to help with a mystery of who are doing some killings around town. When a women is being held in jail for the first
Greeny Onie
May 27, 2017 Greeny Onie rated it really liked it
brilliant
Katie
Apr 06, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
I really needed and wanted and read a chapter book and after debating between a couple of titles, I chose Barnaby Grimes: Phantom of Blood Alley.

I had never heard of this series before picking it up and to say the least, it is peculiar. It is a little over the top but it is witty.

Set in London, there are definitely some terms and slang that should be reviewed. Things like waistcoats, chambermaids, and tik-tod lad.

Barnaby Grimes is a tik-tod lad or a messenger who happens to fall right in the
Brett
Aug 02, 2011 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
The alternate Victorian London created by Riddell & Stewart is fascinating, & these books are genuinely creepy, but easier reads, so they're good for reluctant readers with a taste for horror, especially boys. The major interest in this installment is Barnaby's unpleasant first experiences with the new art of photography (called "photogravure" in his world). There are a couple of good twists to the mystery, & an ending sentence that leads one to hope for further adventures with the i ...more
Andrew
Sep 04, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
This as far as i know is the last in the series which is a shame as i felt it was the weakest of the 4 - yes there is a villain but you do not get much of a feel for him, (no pun intended) you do not get to see much of his mischief unlike the other books and you do not really get the feeling of atmosphere either - ok this book is aimed at +11 but the characters the tension even the environment used in the stories - just find out what high stacking is all about- you will realise that this book ei ...more
Mehsi
This was a fun book. Really happy, and I really should get book 2 and 5 too.

This Barnaby Grimes book was full with mystery, death, a huge (but overly cute) dog, strange characters and some scares.

The mystery was fun to unravel, and I loved the revelation at the end. Also what I always loved about Paul Stewart's book is that he is so detailed. I could just imagine being in that city, everything was described so wonderfully. I really hope there will be maps coming out. :)
hissi
Feb 13, 2011 hissi rated it liked it
this is a detective/police kinda novel.. maybe not suited for my age criteria but i cant say that i didnt enjoy the Sherlockian plot.. i havent read something like that in ages.. i remembered something i used to read when i was a child "takh takh"
plus i liked his profession.. and the way it sounds.. " Barnaby Grimes, a Tik Tok lad" xD
Frieda
Jan 08, 2016 Frieda rated it really liked it
Whoa, what a mad-cap story! How Paul Stewart combines a type of old England with new fangled, modern inventions is truly incredible. Barnaby Grimes always finds trouble but he always finds a strange way out.
Catherine Boomer
Apr 14, 2016 Catherine Boomer rated it it was amazing
Hi, I have read several from my local library in this series. It is a junior title and sometimes can be gruesome, but I totally love the style of writing of this author(s). They have another series, more along the lines of science fiction, but I might steer clear of that set, maybe not.
Yami
Dec 09, 2014 Yami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply enjoying this series, a quick read and very enjoyable, love the macabre theme in it. and as simple as it might be it has it all,science, imagination , madness and darkness , my sort of tale.
Antonia
Jun 02, 2010 Antonia rated it really liked it
beautiful ideas well realised with pacey writing and pretty illustrations. really really liked it - as will anyone who enjoys somewhat historical short novels with a bit of supernatural thrown in. magical!
Heather
Dec 18, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Not my favorite of the series, and overly gruesome, but rather clever from the historical perspective.
Miffy
Sep 28, 2011 Miffy rated it really liked it
Barnaby Grimes is an excellent series. The characters are engaging, the plots intriguing and the world building is great. The whole is enhance by the wonderful illustrations from Chris Riddell.
Valerie
Sep 28, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
This is the first of these books I have read. I enjoyed the character of Barnaby. I will have to check out the others!
Aubrey Hinchman
Jul 15, 2013 Aubrey Hinchman rated it it was amazing
The Phantom of Blood alley is both interesting to read and scared me out of my bed at night!!!!!!!!
Viktoria
Jan 26, 2010 Viktoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, children
barnaby is such an interesting and fun character! liked it a lot!
alissa
Nov 10, 2015 alissa rated it liked it
A fun and quick read for those who love children's books. The slightly over-the-top, quirky adventures of Grimes are perfectly accented with Chris Riddell's illustrations.
Karen
Feb 06, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This book, like the rest of the series, is creepy, bloodcurdling, and gory -- so OF COURSE I really like it.
Shannon
Nov 06, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Loved this book...but I loved all the books in this series. Kind of sad I've finished it.
Roshni
Dec 26, 2010 Roshni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Average lower-level fantasy, a simple, straightforward plot
Angela
Aug 13, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I liked this one more than the last though I have come to expect more from this collaboration of authors.
Sophie Fultz
Sophie Fultz rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2017
JustCaleb
JustCaleb rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2017
Luula
Luula rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2011
Tisa
Tisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart...

Barnaby Grimes (4 books)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, #1)
  • Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)