Start by marking “Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)” as Want to Read:
Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)

Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Barnaby Grimes is a tick-tock lad, high-stacking his way across the rooftops of his city in search of adventure and mystery. In each tale, he encounters a supernatural force and must battle the horrors that await him.

In the fiercely competitive world of early photography, the rewards are immense but so are the risks. After an experiment goes disastrously wrong, Barnaby fin
Published 2010 by Corgi Books

To ask other readers questions about Phantom of Blood Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom of Blood Alley

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
In the last review I wrote on this series, I commented that I was going to have to resign myself to this being a pretty straight-up action-adventure series without much in the way of character development.

I was pleasantly surprised, then, when in this book we get, well, not development, per se - as in character growth - but we do at least get more glimpses of Barnaby's character outside of just being a tick-tock lad and accidental adventurer.

I also liked the fact that there was more of a mystery
Cathrine Bonham
This is, as far as i can tell, the last book in this very bizarre little series. It's kind of a horror, fantasy, mystery thing. I have enjoyed them all. I especially like the Victorian atmosphere that the setting invokes.

Barnaby Grimes is tick-tock lad who has a knack for getting involved with everything creepy, diabolical and just plain weird that goes on in his H. G. Wellian world.

This book was more mystery than the first three in the set in that it deals with an actual murder. After the pol
Chelsy
Ooooooh, this one was really creepy...
You got people getting (view spoiler) Looks like just another day for Barnaby.
Yami
I am deeply enjoying this series, a quick read and very enjoyable, love the macabre theme in it. and as simple as it might be it has it all,science, imagination , madness and darkness , my sort of tale.
Shannon
Loved this book...but I loved all the books in this series. Kind of sad I've finished it.
Brett
The alternate Victorian London created by Riddell & Stewart is fascinating, & these books are genuinely creepy, but easier reads, so they're good for reluctant readers with a taste for horror, especially boys. The major interest in this installment is Barnaby's unpleasant first experiences with the new art of photography (called "photogravure" in his world). There are a couple of good twists to the mystery, & an ending sentence that leads one to hope for further adventures with the i ...more
Andrew
This as far as i know is the last in the series which is a shame as i felt it was the weakest of the 4 - yes there is a villain but you do not get much of a feel for him, (no pun intended) you do not get to see much of his mischief unlike the other books and you do not really get the feeling of atmosphere either - ok this book is aimed at +11 but the characters the tension even the environment used in the stories - just find out what high stacking is all about- you will realise that this book ei ...more
Mehsi
This was a fun book. Really happy, and I really should get book 2 and 5 too.

This Barnaby Grimes book was full with mystery, death, a huge (but overly cute) dog, strange characters and some scares.

The mystery was fun to unravel, and I loved the revelation at the end. Also what I always loved about Paul Stewart's book is that he is so detailed. I could just imagine being in that city, everything was described so wonderfully. I really hope there will be maps coming out. :)
Deviant Geek
this is a detective/police kinda novel.. maybe not suited for my age criteria but i cant say that i didnt enjoy the Sherlockian plot.. i havent read something like that in ages.. i remembered something i used to read when i was a child "takh takh"
plus i liked his profession.. and the way it sounds.. " Barnaby Grimes, a Tik Tok lad" xD
Antonia
beautiful ideas well realised with pacey writing and pretty illustrations. really really liked it - as will anyone who enjoys somewhat historical short novels with a bit of supernatural thrown in. magical!
Miffy
Barnaby Grimes is an excellent series. The characters are engaging, the plots intriguing and the world building is great. The whole is enhance by the wonderful illustrations from Chris Riddell.
Valerie
This is the first of these books I have read. I enjoyed the character of Barnaby. I will have to check out the others!
Angela
I liked this one more than the last though I have come to expect more from this collaboration of authors.
Heather
Not my favorite of the series, and overly gruesome, but rather clever from the historical perspective.
Aubrey Hinchman
The Phantom of Blood alley is both interesting to read and scared me out of my bed at night!!!!!!!!
Viktoria
barnaby is such an interesting and fun character! liked it a lot!
Roshni
Average lower-level fantasy, a simple, straightforward plot
Sadie Ann
Sadie Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Thay
Thay marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • A Plague of Bogles
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • Moment of Truth (The Laws of Magic, #5)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

Barnaby Grimes (4 books)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, # 1)
  • Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)