Yes Man

Yes Man

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  5,249 ratings  ·  541 reviews
'I, Danny Wallace, being of sound mind and body, do hereby write this manifesto for my life. I swear I will be more open to opportunity. I swear I will live my life taking every available chance. I will say Yes to every favour, request, suggestion and invitation. I WILL SWEAR TO SAY YES WHERE ONCE I WOULD SAY NO.'

Danny Wallace had been staying in. Far too much. Having been...more
Audiobook
Published 2008 by Random House Audiobooks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Man

Sara
Sep 04, 2007 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laughing people
THIS BOOK WAS GREAT. I loved it. Danny is funny, quick witted and VERY British.

He runs into someone on a bus who tells him he should "say yes more" after being in a bit of a rut. He decides to take this guy literally which leads him into a lot of scrapes and awkward situations which allow us to laugh quiet a bit.

it would never work unless you had the type of job he does where he can come and go as he pleases...but the message is a great one. Put yourself out there.

good find. i love Powell's.
Jess
I am a bit saddened by all the appalling reviews that the movie Yes Man has been getting. I mean, I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Jim Carrey was going to play the lead role... and that it was going to be set in America instead of Britain... and that they'd essentially written a whole new story... but, well, I wasn't really paying much attention at the time, so I remained optimistic.

But since it's come out, from what I hear it's more or less Liar, Liar reworked, and that's kind of depr...more
Shannon
I maintain that Danny Wallace is a silly bitch. His antics are awesome to read about, but I get the impression if I was a friend of his I'd be like YOU SPAZ, or.. since I'd be British.. YOU WANKER.

This is as funny as the movie (which is hilaaaiours) but in a more Britishy way. This book won't really, I don't think, change most people's lives, as one of the cover review claims- but it will amuse you. Greatly.

Though a few times I genuinely was disturbed by the lack of intelligence shown by Mr.Wal...more
Rebecca
Dec 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Abby Hansen
I will not recommend this book to anyone. You’ll have to discover it on your own. I don’t even know why I read it. (Except that my Goodreads friend, Abby, had it on her list and really liked it.) Something pushed me towards it. Without even thinking, I got on Amazon and bought a used copy. Going against my better judgment, I said “Yes” to this book.

This book is not what it appears to be. It appears to be a British humour (don’t get me wrong, I like British humour) (with a “u”), The Year of Livin...more
Maggie Campbell
"'But the happiest people are the ones who understand that good things occur when one allows them to.'"

"I was on the verge of something. But sometimes to look forward, you have to look back."

"...Before I'd thought of those as self-contained little moments. I'd never really considered that they might be beginnings, that they might lead somewhere, that they might be for the best."

"The closed mind is a disease. You need to have an open mind; otherwise life will just pass you by."

"He was someone who...more
Michael Battye
Let me start by saying, this book is nothing like the movie - thank goodness. Secondly, I need to confess that I agreed to read this book because I am a bit of a stick in the mud about the whole 'yes to new experiences' rhetoric. While I am definitely up for new experiences, I am already bargaining with myself over finite resources of time and energy to spend on things that I know I want to do already! The prospect of having those resources wasted by someone else's whims makes me feel a little i...more
Anna
Forgive me, but this review is based on the memory of a book that I got from Shepherd's Bush library over two years ago, but boy, what a memory!

I don't think I've ever felt as exhilerated after finishing a book before! A bit of a strange one to catagorize - from what I recall this is a memoir but with a very fictional prose style, making the whole thing seem very unbelievable, but from all accounts the details are all fact -

Radio producer Danny Wallace is offered some advice by a stranger - 'sa...more
Katie
I read this book while travelling around Europe - a friend I was travelling with was actually reading it at the beginning of our trip, and after hearing her laughing and giggling (as well as feeling compelled to read out large chunks to me) as she read it made me desperate for her to finish so I could borrow it! It did not disappoint.
Very funny, but with a moral too, this is an amusing, easy read which also leaves you thinking about your own life and how you could learn from the book. This is s...more
whichwaydidshego?
It's Eat, Pray, Love on testosterone and humor. Adored it! My gut hurts from laughing so hard, yet in there somewhere it was poignant and important.

And the answer is Yes.
Ben Dutton
Okay. So I was travelling back from Norwich to North Wales, facing a six hour train journey, still tired, not ready to face Roberto Bolano, and from within the shop window I saw a copy of Danny Wallace’s Yes Man. The night before, with an evening to kill in Norwich, I went to the cinema with no idea what was playing, and so I made a decision – buy a ticket for whatever the next film starting was. That film was Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. The film, it had its moments, and Zooey Deschanel was gorgeo...more
Dylan
Jessica
This book was both moving and HOWLINGLY funny. After meeting a man on a bus who may or may not have been Jesus, Buddha, Maitreya the World Teacher, or all three, Danny Wallace decides to say yes to everything asked of him for one year. He gets a bad haircut, is hypnotized by the world's only hypnotic dog, goes to Amsterdam and gets stoned with a guy named Jahn, and buys a mint green Nissan Figaro. He also meets dozens of new people, gets a huge promotion, has a lot more fun, and finds true love....more
Tessa
Mein erster "Wallace". Der Schreibstil ist wunderbar locker und der Humor fantastisch britisch. Er ist einer meiner absoluten Lieblingsautoren. Die Idee mit dem Ja-Experiment ist toll. Hab so beim Lesen lachen müssen, das ich verwunderte Blicke aus meiner Umgebung erntete.
Wer bereits den Film gesehen hat, der Ja-Sager, sollte sich davon nicht abschrecken lassen. Das Buch ist viel besser. (Fand den Film selbst etwas lahm.)
Dieses Buch hat mich auf den Geschmack gebracht mehr von Danny Wallace zu l...more
David Jones
TPK
Danny Wallace has, shall we say, a certain weakness for what his ex-girlfriend Hanne calls "stupid boy-projects" -- he started a cult for fun, he went looking for the Center of the Universe, he and his friend Dave Gorman went on a worldwide quest to find all the Dave Gormans on the planet -- so perhaps we can excuse his closest friends for believing that his unusual behavior was just another stupid boy-project gone horribly wrong. But this time, Danny believes, is different. He's trying out a wh...more
Elizabeth
The film version of this book stunk. In no way did the Hollywood version of this story translate the histeria and the heart of this story. I read this while living in London, when Danny Wallace was really just up and coming. He had made it when he got a meme going through his audience of reader from "Join Me"... through tiny want ads in the newspaper!

Read this book, especially if you are an anglophile. Never, ever watch the terrible film.
Noelle
I am a fan of Danny Wallace's philosophy on life. I love his humor and his enthusiasm for his "boy projects." This book does not disappoint. He says "yes" to everything for a year and gets into some real messes-some of them dangerous, some of them touching, all of them funny. I laughed out loud throughout the majority of the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Join Me" or likes situational humor. Cheers Danny!
Kjerstin
I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a book. Out loud, mind you. This book is witty, brilliant, and best of all based on real experiences. Inspiring for the long-term, it's in my list of personal bibles. Two cautions: 1) language warning, for those who care, and 2) too much in one sitting and Wallace's humor can get almost grating because it's so intense. Having said that... Read this book. Say yes.
Joel Lueders
Apr 03, 2008 Joel Lueders rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone feeling slightly seasonally depressed
I laughed out loud and found parts funny enough to explain why I was laughing to my coworkers even though it took a bit of explaining to do. It's good because we can relate to how when you are not feeling depressed exactly, you can shut people and things out of your life. Well he fixes it and I recommend the book if you are saying "No" a lot, for no real good reason.
Tash Berbank
"It's incredible how a few words from someone you hardly know can have an impact on your life."

This book really is inspirational. If you follow me on twitter/my blog (fascistkillingblog.blogspot.com) you will know that I am currently battling chronic anxiety. I think to just 'say yes more' could prove a better solution than any. To drop all my worries and do it, is an idea that could change my life.
Of course, the book discusses the lack of freedom yes brings, and the power that is no. It is ver...more
Faith
So, so good. I've come to expect funny from Danny Wallace, but in this book, I laughed so hard that I cried on multiple occasions. But beyond that, it was a really inspiring book. It made me think a lot about how I've become someone who says "no" a lot and what I might be missing when I'm not saying "yes." I really recommend it.
Claire
Interesting concept. Slow at times, funny at times. Good food for thought. WAY better than the movie. If you saw the movie, don't give up on this book. The movie has NOTHING to do with this book, except for the general principal of saying "yes", but nothing else! Hated the movie, liked the book.
Lexi
This book started slowly, but once it picked up, I didn't want to put it down - great story that was both entertaining and actually inspiring. Life probably would be more interesting if we all said yes more.
Ken
You might remember the title Yes Man from the film version of this book, made a few years ago and starring Jim Carrey. While I haven’t seen the movie, I highly recommend the book.

Following the end of a long-term relationship, author Danny Wallace fell into a pattern of negativity of repetition. He stopped seeing his friends, said no to social engagements, and spent most evenings at home. After several months of this behavior and concern fom his friends, Wallce decided to say yes—first, to say ye...more
Ape
2007 bookcrossing thoughts:

Like books by Dave Gorman (well, they did co-write one book) - more escapades of what Danny's ex-girlfriend calls "stupid boy projects". She saw them as a bad thing, and maybe when you're living with someone as mad as that, they are... but it all sounds like loads of fun to me!

Well, the stupid boy project in this book is saying yes to EVERYTHING. Having had a few low months after splitting with his girlfriend (missing out on outings, parties, opportunities etc), Danny...more
Joyce
Wallace can write! And, added value, he's extremely funny. I would recommend this to just about all. Summary: Imagine being completely open. Imagine a life in which we accept every single chance, offer, or challenge -- take every single risk. Thankfully, Danny Wallace has done it so we don't have to.Recently single, Danny is alone and on a road to nowhere. One day on that road, a stranger on a bus tells him to say "yes" more. A months-long journey that changes not only Danny's life but perhaps t...more
2012 review: I first read this towards the end of my time in college, when I was confident about exactly who I was, what I knew, and what I wanted to do in life. Yes Man was an interesting and amusing read, but in many ways I simply could not relate to it at the time, given that I led a highly structured college life.

Fast forward to a few years out of college where I've made quite a few major life decisions in a relatively short period of time. A lot is in flux and not much is certain. Things th...more
Donna
I found this book tucked away on a bookshelf in a hostel in Lisbon on a dreary, rainy day. I was tuckered out from having been out late the night before, and just wanted something fun to read. I wasn't sure about Yes Man at first. I'd seen the movie starring Jim Carrey, which I found enjoyable but ultimately silly and only just worth the price of a rental. Before I knew it though, I'd torn through the first 100 pages of the book and was rolling on the floor laughing at nearly every page.

The book...more
Tash
There are not enough words to describe just how very much I enjoyed this book.

I traditionally never read humour books as I don't think that comedy translates very well to the written word most of the time. In this case, I stand corrected.

I laughed out loud so many times in this book and smiled even more. Yes Man has both entertained me and enlightened me. I am really tempted to give the Yes-ology a try...although perhaps not to the extent that Danny did.

The first chapter really resonated with m...more
Kate
Ok so Danny Wallace spends a significant amount of his time saying yes to everything. That's great, perhaps we should all be so open minded. Add in a few penis jokes and there should be good material for a book, or is there? It would be too easy to say 'No Man', the truth is I enjoyed reading about his embarrassing escapades. His writing is funny, but ultimately forgetable and that is the problem I have with this book.
Whether a book is a comedy or tragedy, I think it needs to tap into a bit mor...more
Read the Movie: Yes Man 2 38 Apr 14, 2012 10:49AM
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • Screen Burn
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • The Timewaster Letters. Robin Cooper
  • Tickling the English
  • The Ridiculous Race
  • Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
  • The Sound of Laughter
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper...more
More about Danny Wallace...
Join Me! Friends Like These Charlotte Street Awkward Situations for Men Random Acts of Kindness

“Probably some of the best things that have ever happened to you in life, happened because you said yes to something. Otherwise things just sort of stay the same.” 91 likes
“Take the stupidest thing you've ever done. At least it's done. It's over. It's gone. We can all learn from our mistakes and heal and move on. But it's harder to learn or heal or move on from something that hasn't happened; something we don't know and is therefore indefinable; something which could very easily have been the best thing in our lives, if only we'd taken the plunge, if only we'd held our breath and stood up and done it, if only we'd said yes.” 53 likes