Start by marking “Yes Man” as Want to Read:
Yes Man

Yes Man

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  6,264 ratings  ·  584 reviews
'I, Danny Wallace, being of sound mind and body, do hereby write this manifesto for my life. I swear I will be more open to opportunity. I swear I will live my life taking every available chance. I will say Yes to every favour, request, suggestion and invitation. I WILL SWEAR TO SAY YES WHERE ONCE I WOULD SAY NO.'

Danny Wallace had been staying in. Far too much. Having been
Published 2008 by Random House Audiobooks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Man

I am a bit saddened by all the appalling reviews that the movie Yes Man has been getting. I mean, I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Jim Carrey was going to play the lead role... and that it was going to be set in America instead of Britain... and that they'd essentially written a whole new story... but, well, I wasn't really paying much attention at the time, so I remained optimistic.

But since it's come out, from what I hear it's more or less Liar, Liar reworked, and that's kind of depr
Sep 04, 2007 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laughing people
THIS BOOK WAS GREAT. I loved it. Danny is funny, quick witted and VERY British.

He runs into someone on a bus who tells him he should "say yes more" after being in a bit of a rut. He decides to take this guy literally which leads him into a lot of scrapes and awkward situations which allow us to laugh quiet a bit.

it would never work unless you had the type of job he does where he can come and go as he pleases...but the message is a great one. Put yourself out there.

good find. i love Powell's.
I maintain that Danny Wallace is a silly bitch. His antics are awesome to read about, but I get the impression if I was a friend of his I'd be like YOU SPAZ, or.. since I'd be British.. YOU WANKER.

This is as funny as the movie (which is hilaaaiours) but in a more Britishy way. This book won't really, I don't think, change most people's lives, as one of the cover review claims- but it will amuse you. Greatly.

Though a few times I genuinely was disturbed by the lack of intelligence shown by Mr.Wal
Dec 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Abby Hansen
I will not recommend this book to anyone. You’ll have to discover it on your own. I don’t even know why I read it. (Except that my Goodreads friend, Abby, had it on her list and really liked it.) Something pushed me towards it. Without even thinking, I got on Amazon and bought a used copy. Going against my better judgment, I said “Yes” to this book.

This book is not what it appears to be. It appears to be a British humour (don’t get me wrong, I like British humour) (with a “u”), The Year of Livin
Maggie Campbell
"'But the happiest people are the ones who understand that good things occur when one allows them to.'"

"I was on the verge of something. But sometimes to look forward, you have to look back."

"...Before I'd thought of those as self-contained little moments. I'd never really considered that they might be beginnings, that they might lead somewhere, that they might be for the best."

"The closed mind is a disease. You need to have an open mind; otherwise life will just pass you by."

"He was someone who
I made it 75% of the way through and then decided my time was too precious to be irritated with this author for one more minute. The concept of the book is really interesting and he has a few excellent examples of times he said yes that really forwarded his life experiences. However, I just got tired of hearing about all the times he said "yes" to credit card offers or spam e-mail. It would have been one thing if he'd said to his readers "I realize this is silly, but it's part of my project." In ...more
This book takes me back to when I lived in London and the concept of this seemed totally possible! I 'loled' many a time which took me by surprise, I didn't think I would like it this much! I couldn't really get into the other Danny Wallace books unfortunately, however this book is def a 5/5.
Michael Battye
Let me start by saying, this book is nothing like the movie - thank goodness. Secondly, I need to confess that I agreed to read this book because I am a bit of a stick in the mud about the whole 'yes to new experiences' rhetoric. While I am definitely up for new experiences, I am already bargaining with myself over finite resources of time and energy to spend on things that I know I want to do already! The prospect of having those resources wasted by someone else's whims makes me feel a little i ...more
Ben Dutton
Okay. So I was travelling back from Norwich to North Wales, facing a six hour train journey, still tired, not ready to face Roberto Bolano, and from within the shop window I saw a copy of Danny Wallace’s Yes Man. The night before, with an evening to kill in Norwich, I went to the cinema with no idea what was playing, and so I made a decision – buy a ticket for whatever the next film starting was. That film was Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. The film, it had its moments, and Zooey Deschanel was gorgeo ...more
I read this book while travelling around Europe - a friend I was travelling with was actually reading it at the beginning of our trip, and after hearing her laughing and giggling (as well as feeling compelled to read out large chunks to me) as she read it made me desperate for her to finish so I could borrow it! It did not disappoint.
Very funny, but with a moral too, this is an amusing, easy read which also leaves you thinking about your own life and how you could learn from the book. This is s
Mein erster "Wallace". Der Schreibstil ist wunderbar locker und der Humor fantastisch britisch. Er ist einer meiner absoluten Lieblingsautoren. Die Idee mit dem Ja-Experiment ist toll. Hab so beim Lesen lachen müssen, das ich verwunderte Blicke aus meiner Umgebung erntete.
Wer bereits den Film gesehen hat, der Ja-Sager, sollte sich davon nicht abschrecken lassen. Das Buch ist viel besser. (Fand den Film selbst etwas lahm.)
Dieses Buch hat mich auf den Geschmack gebracht mehr von Danny Wallace zu l
It's Eat, Pray, Love on testosterone and humor. Adored it! My gut hurts from laughing so hard, yet in there somewhere it was poignant and important.

And the answer is Yes.
Forgive me, but this review is based on the memory of a book that I got from Shepherd's Bush library over two years ago, but boy, what a memory!

I don't think I've ever felt as exhilerated after finishing a book before! A bit of a strange one to catagorize - from what I recall this is a memoir but with a very fictional prose style, making the whole thing seem very unbelievable, but from all accounts the details are all fact -

Radio producer Danny Wallace is offered some advice by a stranger - 'sa
This book was both moving and HOWLINGLY funny. After meeting a man on a bus who may or may not have been Jesus, Buddha, Maitreya the World Teacher, or all three, Danny Wallace decides to say yes to everything asked of him for one year. He gets a bad haircut, is hypnotized by the world's only hypnotic dog, goes to Amsterdam and gets stoned with a guy named Jahn, and buys a mint green Nissan Figaro. He also meets dozens of new people, gets a huge promotion, has a lot more fun, and finds true love. ...more
Maria Longley
Danny decides to say "Yes" more in his life, in fact he writes himself a manifesto and gets himself into a contract to say Yes for the rest of the year or else face the Punishment from his mate Ian at the end of the trial. And this really is saying Yes to everything from internet spam to Help the Aged chuggers on the street and various socially awkward situations. It made me realise, for one, how many things people get invited to out of politeness that are really not proper invitations at all.

David Jones
Danny Wallace has, shall we say, a certain weakness for what his ex-girlfriend Hanne calls "stupid boy-projects" -- he started a cult for fun, he went looking for the Center of the Universe, he and his friend Dave Gorman went on a worldwide quest to find all the Dave Gormans on the planet -- so perhaps we can excuse his closest friends for believing that his unusual behavior was just another stupid boy-project gone horribly wrong. But this time, Danny believes, is different. He's trying out a wh ...more
The film version of this book stunk. In no way did the Hollywood version of this story translate the histeria and the heart of this story. I read this while living in London, when Danny Wallace was really just up and coming. He had made it when he got a meme going through his audience of reader from "Join Me"... through tiny want ads in the newspaper!

Read this book, especially if you are an anglophile. Never, ever watch the terrible film.
I am a fan of Danny Wallace's philosophy on life. I love his humor and his enthusiasm for his "boy projects." This book does not disappoint. He says "yes" to everything for a year and gets into some real messes-some of them dangerous, some of them touching, all of them funny. I laughed out loud throughout the majority of the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Join Me" or likes situational humor. Cheers Danny!
A man recently dumped by his girlfriend stops going out much, spends most of his time watching tv, and generally sits around moping. Then, one day, the man sitting next to him on the bus mutters to himself, 'Say yes more.' From then onwards, our man decides to say 'yes' to every offer, suggestion, and invitation that comes his way for the next few months. Wallace's novel quickly becomes dull and repetitive once our hero keeps on acting upon Internet scams, travelling to far-off locations obeying ...more
I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a book. Out loud, mind you. This book is witty, brilliant, and best of all based on real experiences. Inspiring for the long-term, it's in my list of personal bibles. Two cautions: 1) language warning, for those who care, and 2) too much in one sitting and Wallace's humor can get almost grating because it's so intense. Having said that... Read this book. Say yes.
Joel Lueders
Apr 03, 2008 Joel Lueders rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone feeling slightly seasonally depressed
I laughed out loud and found parts funny enough to explain why I was laughing to my coworkers even though it took a bit of explaining to do. It's good because we can relate to how when you are not feeling depressed exactly, you can shut people and things out of your life. Well he fixes it and I recommend the book if you are saying "No" a lot, for no real good reason.
Leah K
Yes Man by Danny Wallace
388 pages

Did you see the film, Yes Man, with Jim Carrey? Well this book is what the film is loosely based off…and I do mean loosely. And while I enjoy the film, if I had choose, of course the book would win hands down. In both the film and the book, the main man says yes to everything in an ability to see life in a different way…and that’s where the similarities end.

In the book Danny Wallace finds himself in quite the slump in life when a stranger says something that wil
Tash Berbank
"It's incredible how a few words from someone you hardly know can have an impact on your life."

This book really is inspirational. If you follow me on twitter/my blog ( you will know that I am currently battling chronic anxiety. I think to just 'say yes more' could prove a better solution than any. To drop all my worries and do it, is an idea that could change my life.
Of course, the book discusses the lack of freedom yes brings, and the power that is no. It is ver
So, so good. I've come to expect funny from Danny Wallace, but in this book, I laughed so hard that I cried on multiple occasions. But beyond that, it was a really inspiring book. It made me think a lot about how I've become someone who says "no" a lot and what I might be missing when I'm not saying "yes." I really recommend it.
Interesting concept. Slow at times, funny at times. Good food for thought. WAY better than the movie. If you saw the movie, don't give up on this book. The movie has NOTHING to do with this book, except for the general principal of saying "yes", but nothing else! Hated the movie, liked the book.
I must admit that I actually preferred the movie adaptation to the book itself and its not often I say that!

I did read the book first before the movie but I didn't find it hilarious like a lot of people said. It was funny in places but a lot of it just seemed a bit ridiculous.

I love this book. A story like this could so easily feel contrived, but it never does in the hands of Danny Wallace's warm, friendly voice (enjoy that mixed metaphor, there). There's real heart to this story, along with humour and some surprising wisdom.
Kerry Geddes
Great philosophy and inspiring too, but the inspirational moments were hidden in lots of silly bits. Was recommended to me by a friend and I think part of my problem was that I had such high expectations of it.
Read the Movie: Yes Man 2 39 Apr 14, 2012 10:49AM
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
  • Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
  • Screen Burn
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • Frozen Assets
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • It's Only a Movie
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • The Essential Groucho: Writings by, for, and about Groucho Marx
  • The Tent, the Bucket and Me
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot
  • Pole to Pole
  • Things Can Only Get Better: Eighteen Miserable Years in the Life of a Labour Supporter, 1979-1997
  • A Safe Place: The True Story of a Father, a Son, a Murder
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace...

“Probably some of the best things that have ever happened to you in life, happened because you said yes to something. Otherwise things just sort of stay the same.” 112 likes
“Take the stupidest thing you've ever done. At least it's done. It's over. It's gone. We can all learn from our mistakes and heal and move on. But it's harder to learn or heal or move on from something that hasn't happened; something we don't know and is therefore indefinable; something which could very easily have been the best thing in our lives, if only we'd taken the plunge, if only we'd held our breath and stood up and done it, if only we'd said yes.” 61 likes