Start by marking “Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)

Everlost (Skinjacker #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  20,902 ratings  ·  2,078 reviews
Nick and Allie don't survive the crash, and now they are in limbo, stuck halfway between life and death, in a netherworld known as Everlost. Everlost is home to those who didn't make it to their final destination: a magical yet dangerous place filled with shadows where lost souls run wild.
Published July 2009 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published October 1st 2006)

Tatiana
Everlost reminded me of several books I felt rather lukewarm about - Elsewhere, Lord of the Flies and Gone. It deals with afterlife (specifically, the limbo between life and death) and kids behaving badly when left on their own.

I can see why fans of Unwind would be underwhelmed by Everlost. I was too, a little. It is a good book, but it is clearly a children's book. There are no adults in it, the characters are all under 15. Even when the story handles very serious matters (that scared and creep
Mariel
Sep 11, 2010 Mariel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lauren
Recommended to Mariel by: what are you saving?
I swear on my dog's life that Neal Shusterman's Everlost is pure awesomeness.

Kids who die go to a sort of place but not a place existing between life and death called Everlost. If they stay there instead of passing on, they have to stay in areas called "dead spots", where a significant death has happened. (Main kids Allie and Nick's car accident took place by a forest that has burned down. Sometimes a spot is massive, such as the entire city of Atlanta (seen in the second in the Skinjacker tril
Nolan  Foxworth
Actual Rating: 3 Stars

Welcome to Everlost...

A place where life after death isn't so bad. Granted, it isn't the luminous, angelic heavens... nor is it the eternally, flammable pits of hell. It's merely a "limbo," a spiritual state of confinement for lost souls that lies between the stated biblical destinations. Death arrives in the unfortunate form of a car collision for teenagers, Allie and Nick, who unexpectedly become Everlost's latest tourists. Unknown to them, their endeavors to go "home"
Arlene
Well there's one lesson I learned from this book, never teach your kids to stay put when they get lost. This book taught me the importance of trying to find your way to where you're going no matter what the challenges or obstacles you're faced with. I picked up Everlost because I was captivated by Shusterman's book Unwind. It's good, just not Unwind's caliber of great.

This story is about two souls, Allie and Nick, that are in a fatal car accident. Upon their death and on their way to the 'light
Caris
Jul 14, 2009 Caris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caris by: Megan
Shelves: 2009, young-adult
Okay. This would be funny. Say you borrowed the book Everlost from a friend.

You with me?

Now, say you finished the book and posted a review of it on a book oriented social networking site. Something like Goodreads.

Say that friend reads your review, perhaps even likes it or comments on it. That friend would be reasonable in assuming that she (or he, I suppose) would be getting her (or his) book back soon.

You know how people lead double lives on the Internet? Folks who are really deep and adventu
Hannah
I'm having a hard time trying to determine how I feel about Everlost. After reading and greatly enjoying "Unwind", I was eager to read another book Shusterman had written.

On the one hand, as an adult reading it, I definitely found the writing style geared for juvenile readers around the age of 10-13 (which is who the book is marketed for). On the other hand, I also continually wondered at the appeal to these same readers based on the way Shusterman presented his ideas on the afterlife of dead c
Victoria
Addicting, creative, fascinating tale that weaves something that could have been either cliched or overly creepy into something brilliant and original.

Allie and Nick are dead, killed instantly in a car crash that involved their respective family's cars. According to the laws of the universe, they should have crossed over. But the thing is, not all children cross over. Some trip, stumble, or resist the journey into the light...and end up in Everlost, just like Allie and Nick have.

Everlost is a b
Sesana
Wow, this one took me by surprise. I've read Neal Shusterman before, but that didn't leave me prepared for this. There are lots of books out there that have takes on the afterlife, but I think this one is my favorite so far. There's a sense of mystery and discovery that some other great afterlife versions lack. By the end of the book, I didn't feel like I knew everything about the afterlife, but that I was willing to keep reading to find out more. One of the author blurbs on the book describes i ...more
Daniel

Plot- 7/10
Characters- 7/10
Writing- 7.5/10
World Building- 9.5/10

TOTAL- 7.4/10

Quickie Review (no spoilers)- Neal Shusterman wowed me with Unwind. I seriously loved that book; the action, the great characters, and the scary, almost 1984-esque world building captivated me. So I went into Everlost with very high expectations, and I expected Neal Shusterman to deliver again.

I was disappointed. Now, 3.5 stars is by no means bad. But I guess I was expecting a bit more from the same author who
Bridget
3.5 stars An interesting spin on the afterlife from a teen perspective. The protagonists are stuck in a kind of in between place. Well written and the teen heroes are less annoying and better written than many others I've read. Their decisions for the most part make sense. I enjoyed it but think I would have liked it more when I was 12;)
Yonaily
I imagine the center of the Earth must be a crowded place by now, but perhaps it is the spirits of those of us residing there that keep the Earth alive and green.

It's really hard to find a good young adult novel. That's the genre I read most. However, it is also the one that displeases me most, because almost all of its books contain the same repetitive, tediuos and boring story that it's focused on a chiclé teenage romance. Neal Shusterman has done that weird thing: he wrote a young adult boo
Courtney Wells
Now, I do not usual have any interest in books that start off with "so our protagonist is dead" because existential angst featuring teens is more drama than I can possibly find entertainment value in BUT if you're gonna give me a mystery land and the characters problems beyond being deceased, then you have my attention!
Duffy Pratt
Reread - 6/19/15

I don't have much to add on this reread. I enjoyed it as much the second time around. Having finished all three, it was good to see what a command Shusterman had over his overall story and characters from the very start. The introduction of each major character also gives the spine and motive of that character. Its all very well thought out and extremely well done. I've read a bunch of Shusterman since first having read this, and I still think this series is his best work.

ORIGINA
Donalyn
Jul 23, 2008 Donalyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of weird books
I have spent two days wandering through Neal Shusterman's latest two novels, and I am still a bit lost in them. I read them out of order, reading his newest book, Unwind, first. Enjoying that book so much, I wondered whether or not Everlost would disappoint me.

Shusterman admits that he is a weird man who writes about weird things, and no one does it better, I should have trusted him more.

When two teens, Nick and Allie, die in the same car accident, their journey into the white light of the after
kari
I've gone back and forth and back and forth on my rating for this one. The story is a three, but it's Shusterman and his use of language to evoke feelings is so well done. The writing is wonderful; some of the descriptions of things in Everlost brought tears to my eyes. I want to like it more than I do.
So, for that reason, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt with a four star rating.
This one starts out with a bang, but then winds down and meanders for a long time. I found myself finding lots o
Forrest
For starters, let me say that 1) I listened to the audiobook narrated by Nick Podehl (whose voice acted as a great soporific as I was trying to drive across the US with my family - thankfully the rock we took in the windshield outside of Denver kept me awake) and 2) I'm not the biggest fan of children's books, and this is definitely a children's book.

I found the central conceit intriguing: Those who die, but don't get "where they're going" find themselves in limbo. The rules are different here.
Michelle
I would probably give this 2.5 stars. It was...odd. Very odd.

I think what probably bothered me is that it truly is meant for a juvenile audience and yet some disturbingly dark things are going on here. The premise of the story is a little like Peter Pan's lost boys. Children who are supposed to make it into the after life are knocked off course and sent into the land of Everlost. Nick and Allie are new to Everlost, and they discover it is a strange place where they may be doomed to spend eterni
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Perry for TeensReadToo.com

Nick and Allie never would have met had their parents' cars not collided on a hairpin turn one day. If only Nick's parents had not hit a piece of steel lying in the road which caused them to blow a tire and head into the oncoming lane of traffic directly in the path of Allie's father. The accident happened so fast that neither felt any pain. The only recollection they have is of landing on the ground in the woods and feeling very tired.

What happens to
Janette
If you look at this book as having a new, creative setting (earth for the lost souls of children who somehow got knocked out of the tunnel after they died) it's a cute story. However, if you read the book and think it's proposing doctrine about the afterlife, you're not going to like it. And I admit that as a parent it was hard to read about the spirits of children sinking to the center of earth where they would be trapped until the earth exploded. Surely God isn't as disorganized or uncaring to ...more
Shayantani Das
This book is about Allie and Nick journey through the world of everlost. They die in a car accident only they don’t reach where there are supposed to and instead get stuck in the eternal world of everlost.

First thing to keep in mind while reading the book is that one shouldn’t compare it to unwind, or you would be bitterly disappointed. It's nowhere near it in terms of emotional depth and characters. But the book in itself has a very very interesting concept. Neal Shusterman is a very creative a
Ali and Nick collide in a car crash that kills them both and they find themselves unexpected companions in Everlost, the place where children go after they die. They soon meet Leaf, who's been there too long. The adventure takes off as they must learn the strange rules of this world and protect themselves from not so nice residents. This is a wonderful adventure, that I really enjoyed. It was more MG and therefore not my preferred genre. I found the kiss scene to be not so compelling, and the pa ...more
Trisha
wow, I think I may have to come back and re-review. This is one that kind of sinks in.
I would read a part and think "what the HECK did I just read?"

but then I'd read another book or go about my day - but it would keep popping into my head - where the story was going, who the McGill was....just all sorts of random thoughts. It's a great story, just not at all like anything I've read before or what I thought it would be.

but I know I liked it
Wendy F
I've had this on my shelf for a while now and I'm glad for the Pick Five thread in my YA group, otherwise I would have probably just kept pushing this off.

I really liked it. Oddly enough I wasn't quite into Mary, but I automatically felt something for The McGill. I suppose that is backwards, but there seemed to be something vulnerable about him. I also really really liked Lief. And Nick. Great book. I can't wait to read the next one.
Praxedes
This was such an original story in an increasingly unoriginal genre! Unlike other books that talk about life after death, or limbo, or sticking around for a while before moving on (i.e. The Lovely Bones, If I Stay, etc.), this book takes on the task of explaining how this near-afterlife works. And for the most part it makes perfect sense! I was getting tired of books where the main characters bungle around endlessly trying to make sense of their surroundings. Shusterman does take some poetic lib ...more
Kyle
Lauren
This book is Awesome. I recommened it to anyone
Amy
What if your light at the end of the tunnel burned out? What if your train to Nirvana derailed? How about your reincarnation stopped by Depo?

If any of these things stopped you from moving on, you may end up in Everlost, as Allie and Nick found out after a fatal car crash left them in a luscious forest. As this pair get acquainted with their new afterlife, they stumble across an assortment of villains, horrors, and a bibliophile. Or maybe you could call the bibliophile the "Life After Death for
Once Upon
Everlost by Neil Shusterman completely took me off guard since the very beginning. Startling me with the way in which the story began and how it unfolds. Not being such a fan of that type of situation, I continued reading. The book started a little slow in my opinion and I just could not get in to the story. I decide to continue reading to see if maybe something will grasp my interest, but nothing. I just couldn't get my self to finish this book. It's just not my type of read. Not to say that th ...more
Lauren
Disclaimer. My spoiler tags are for Everwild as well as Everlost. I'm in the process of reading Everfound now so no spoilers for that book except my own speculations. I mention a wee bit of stuff on UnWind as well because I gush how great Shusterman is.

Everlost is about the in-between place where dead children end up if they got lost on their way to "getting to where it is they are going".
Nick and Allie die in a car crash and after 9 months they wake up in a forest. Everlost is built of the dead
Donna  Happy Booker
Jan 07, 2011 Donna Happy Booker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book. It was such a unique story, I haven’t read anything quite like this before.

Nick and Allie are killed instantly in a car crash and while heading down that tunnel toward the light, something happens and they find themselves waking up 9 months later in a beautiful lush forest near where the crash happened. It takes them a while to realize what must have happened, and discover they are not alone in this forest. There is a strange boy who has forgotten his name who they rechristen
YA Buddy Readers'...: Skinjacker Series by Neal Shusterman-Starting July 1st 2015 1 5 Jun 22, 2015 10:18AM
The Mcgill 21 130 Feb 05, 2015 01:56PM
How has Everlost inspired you? 2 7 Dec 28, 2014 08:57PM
Does anyone like mary 22 65 Oct 19, 2014 07:58PM
  • Lockdown (Escape From Furnace, #1)
  • The Everafter
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Epic (Epic #1)
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • Cherry Heaven
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • The Innocent's Story
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • The Marbury Lens (The Marbury Lens, #1)
  • Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • Storm Thief
  • Rash
  • The Unidentified
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...

Skinjacker (3 books)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
Unwind (Unwind, #1) UnWholly (Unwind, #2) UnSouled (Unwind, #3) Bruiser Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)

13 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Your hair looks funny," Lief said, as soon as the Ugloids left. "It stands straight up!"
No," said Nick, intensely irritated, "It's hanging straight down."
Lief just gave him an upside-down shrug. "Up is down in China and you're part-Chinese.”
45 likes