Start by marking “The Dance of Legislation: An Insider's Account of the Workings of the United States Senate” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Dance of Legislation has long been considered a classic description of the legislative process. In it, Eric Redman draws on his two years as a member of Senator Warren Magnuson's staff to trace the drafting and passing of a piece of legislation -- S.4106, the National Health Service Bill -- with all the maneuvers, plots, counterplots, frustrations, triumphs, and sheer ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by University of Washington Press (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Dance of Legislation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance of Legislation

Frank Stein
Sep 04, 2013 Frank Stein rated it it was amazing

I've been reading a lot of legislative histories recently: "Showdown at Gucci Gulch" (on the 1986 Tax Reform Act), "How a Bill Becomes Law" (on the 1960 Civil Rights Act), "Act of Congress" (on the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act), "Pure Food" (on the 1906 Food and Drug Act). I've enjoyed all of these immensely, but they often tend to blur together. Like baseball, the passing of legislation follows some very strict rules, that vary only a little over time, and the excitement in each game or act really comes
Kenneth Hayes Geary
Mar 06, 2013 Kenneth Hayes Geary rated it really liked it
The process of taking an idea and making it into legislation is something that the average American citizen does not understand. To help the American people better understand the difficulty of getting anything done in Congress Eric Redman published the book “The Dance of Legislation”. Redman a former legislative assistant to democratic Senator Warren Magnuson took us step by step through the legislative process of creating the bill for the National Health Service Corps (S.4106). This book is en ...more
Donna McKereghan
Feb 27, 2016 Donna McKereghan rated it it was amazing
I use this book over and over again to loan out to folks who want to know how the system REALLY works. Wrote a companion piece for it during my doctoral studies titled "The Dance of Administration" and drew the parallels to the things I discovered reading this book. THEN, I had the opportunity of a brief email chat with the author. Amazing! I'll use this book for the rest of my life to educate other citizens, for sure!
John Maniscalco
Nov 30, 2010 John Maniscalco rated it it was amazing
By far the best and most entertaining book on how a bill becomes a law. This does not give you the constitutional formula for the lawmaking process but rather presents a real world example of the politics, negotiations, and coalitions that need to be built in order to pass legislation. Though a little outdated since the collapse of regular order, it is still the greatest resource available on the subject.
Gregpantell
Sep 14, 2013 Gregpantell rated it really liked it
A surprisingly interesting read, details legislative process through they eyes of they author, congressional clerk who writes about this sometimes dry subject with humor and charm. Sometimes (unavoidably) too technical but informative, the author’s wit highlights this book.
Will be valuable for fans of legislative history. Deals with public health legislation, congressional staffers, Warren Magnuson.

Rebekah
Jun 05, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was ok
Was easy enough to understand and I was able to find some of the things they said happened in this book amusing. Had to read this for government, if I had the choice I probably wouldn't have read it. But it wasn't a bad book to read.
Ross
Sep 01, 2010 Ross rated it it was amazing
The best book written in the 20th century on how legisaltion is handled in Congress. Lovers of Robert Caro's books will love this one! I have read it each decade since 1977.
Melissa Gastorf
Apr 06, 2013 Melissa Gastorf rated it liked it
Just as you think that the bill will be passed something else happens. A should read for someone interested in politics
Jenn
Apr 17, 2007 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This is the book that solidified my interest in politics. It's a great account of what really happens in Washington!
Beth
Apr 03, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
If you're interested in how a bill becomes a law you will be fascinated by this book.
Gregory
Jul 15, 2010 Gregory rated it liked it
Brilliantly useful, if it was still before 1980.
Andrea
Dec 13, 2007 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
should be required reading for all students
Dane
Jan 17, 2014 Dane rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
A fun, somewhat revealing book.
Jeff
May 11, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok
An educational look at the legislative process, but a bit on the dry side--even for a policy wonk like me.
Oliver
Oliver added it
Jun 18, 2016
Lavanya Madhusudan
Lavanya Madhusudan marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Kayla Jones
Kayla Jones rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Phil Vongsaithian
Phil Vongsaithian marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Jennifer Segal
Jennifer Segal is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Brian Sauer
Brian Sauer rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Leopold Benedict
Leopold Benedict rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Margie Cook
Margie Cook rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents: The Politics of Leadership from Roosevelt to Reagan
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • The Conviction of Richard Nixon: The Untold Story of the Frost/Nixon Interviews
  • Congress: The Electoral Connection
  • The Logic of American Politics
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform
  • If We Can Put a Man on the Moon: Getting Big Things Done in Government
  • Chain of Title: How Three Ordinary Americans Uncovered Wall Street's Great Foreclosure Fraud
  • The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
  • The Force of Destiny: A History of Italy Since 1796
  • The Spirit of Democracy: The Struggle to Build Free Societies Throughout the World
  • Occidentalism: The West in the Eyes of Its Enemies
  • Essentials of Comparative Politics
  • Ship of Fools: How Stupidity and Corruption Sank the Celtic Tiger
  • Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945
  • Make No Law: The Sullivan Case and the First Amendment
  • The Instant Economist: Everything You Need to Know About How the Economy Works