Start by marking “The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Booklist

In this era of entrepreneurialism, Atlanta freelancer Peter Bowerman shows those timid (but talented) souls how almost anyone can forge ahead as an independent writer. His advice is good, couched in brassy prose that is easy to read. He anticipates every conceivable question and issue, including typical charges, marketing oneself, types of available work, and deal

Published December 3rd 2005 by Fanove Publishing (first published August 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Well-Fed Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well-Fed Writer

Yeah, I read self-help books from time to time. Sometimes a girl needs help. Sure, I might order it anonymously online and rip the unmarked package open in a dark room in my home, but I read them.

More specifically, I’ve read quite a few self-help books about freelancing recently. But this last one, The Well-Fed Writer by Peter Bowerman, really gave me the confidence to stop freelancing on the side and take the plunge into a full-time operation.

While many other freelance books play on the fanta
Sincere W.
To be honest, if I was to review this book based solely on readability, it would scrape by at three stars. You can tell that Bowerman enjoys writing... and that's not a good thing, especially when for a How-To book. As I was reading it, I was reminded of a line from True Grit: "not only does he continue to talk but he spills the banks of English."

With that said, this book still deserves 4 stars because, frankly, the information works. I would've made my money back on the book within 3 days of ge
Robert Medak
The Well-Fed Writer (TWFW)
By Peter Bowerman

If you’ve ever entertained the thought of being a freelance writer, or as Peter calls it, Freelance Commercial Writer (FLCW), this book will give you all of the information you need to start and run a freelance business. While most people think magazines when they hear “freelance writing,” TWFW isn’t about writing for magazines, but rather “commercial freelancing” – writing for businesses, large and small – a lesser-known and exceptionally well-paying f
Kressel Housman
Boy, am I glad to finally get this off my "currently reading" list. I'm not saying it didn't have good information, but slogging through it was a CHORE! I learned a few new things, but it was mostly common sense, and since it was written in the 90's, it was soooo dated. Forget the "consider getting a cell phone" thing - what about the recession? Maybe writers could charge $50.00 back in the day of the "employees' market," but with the 10% unemployment rate of these days and the closing of so man ...more
Brad
Great information and inspiration for anyone looking to operate a freelance business. The information is tailored towards writing, but the principles would apply widely.

I was surprised to find a number of typos and errors, especially surprising since it's a book on becoming a professional writer. There were also a couple of instances where I felt the information was unclear, and others where I found it to be needlessly stretched out. With a better copy-edit, and generally tightening the book, it
Mark Speed
Bowerman's angle is slightly different from that taken by Six-Figure Freelancing, which I reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

What's changed enormously since both of these books were written is that the internet has sucked out the demand for freelance journalism. I know of plenty of professionally trained journalists who can't make a living at it. Content has moved to blogs, which are often free, and newspapers and magazines are closing everywhere.

Bowerman describes how he spe
Magdalena
Whenever anyone asks me where to go for advice on how to become a freelance commercial writer, I send them directly to Peter Bowerman's website. He’s the guru on this topic. His book The Well-fed Writer was the best guide I’ve read to setting up a lucrative (that’s the well-fed part) copywriting business. It was so well-written, easy to understand and down to earth, that even if you didn’t want a career in commercial freelancing, by the end of the book, you were contemplating it. The book has no ...more
Tom Burke
I saw a 30 minute video by Peter Bowerman a few weeks ago and was so impressed that I picked the book up from the library to learn more. After reading it I realized this was a resource I could not do without. I now have my own copy of this book as well as the sequel "TWFW: Back for Seconds" and even the highly recommended "Copywriters Handbook" by Bob Bly. "The Well Fed Writer" lays out simple, easy to follow steps on how to create your own freelance writing business. There is so much informatio ...more
Duygu
Dont spend too much money on it. Im sure some goodwill store somewhere is selling it for 0.99cents. By the way, he says things like "floppy discs" and "computers, if you have one of those..." Ummm this book is outdated.
Jessi
I had read good things about this book, and being a freelance writer I felt compelled to see what it suggested. After my first copy was stolen from my porch, I picked up another and eagerly dove in. At first it made sense, gathering materials and all that, but then it got a bit dated, like recommending I have a computer and a fax, and a phone, things that are usually in every home now. Even though it was written in 2000, a lot of it feels dated, like talking about invoicing which is already hand ...more
Elaine
The book was clearly written and offered a vast amount of concrete and helpful information and examples for the basics. The author has a chatty, engaging style that carried me through lots of detail. He is also a great cheerleader. I plan to read his bood on self-publishing soon.

My copy was published around 2001 which made it outdated for salary expectations, computer systems, and the internet. I also thought the title was misleading, because "writer" and "freelance writer" are broad terms, cov
Black Heart
Great book on copywriting, and lots of excellent tips crammed into this volume on how to start your own freelance writing biz in 6 months or less (and with no experience, too!). I would've given it 5 stars, except that I still feel a bit lost here, wondering how to figure out which companies to target, and what to sell as my "niche," because I know that I've got lots of different types of writing and editing under my belt, but it's definitely a question of specialization.

And then it's all just c
Michelle Rittler
Oddly enough, I think the most valuable sections of this book had to do with the emotional aspects of kick-starting a freelance writing career. The motivating comments to keep going when things get frustrating -- and they WILL get frustrating -- were helpful since I'm reaching a lull in work.

The majority of the practical tips were outdated, however, since this book was written over a decade ago. Very little of the book is dedicated to the digital space or how to grow a freelance writing career/
Jenn Flynn-Shon
A necessary reference tool for any Freelance Writer. Some slightly dated material on web writing but that's to be expected in such a fast changing industry. The benefits of direct advice, tips, hints and examples from Bowerman's own arsenal far outweigh any material that isn't current for 2013. I will buy his follow up. Bowerman is a new favorite Author for me - a budding Freelance Writer - and I'm thankful for his simple language and easy to understand descriptions. A must read for any Writer w ...more
Anna Rose
This book has many helpful tips for someone starting out as a freelance writer. However, the superior tone and belittling of other types of writing really bugged me. I really like the parts on certain types of copywriting and how to deal with clients. Yet it overall left me annoyed.
Melissa
Outdated but still has solid, applicable advice. His warning about the dangers of chat rooms made me chuckle. You may have read similar advice somewhere else (though his is a great mix of practical and inspirational), however Bowerman's "if I can do this, anyone can do this" attitude might provide the motivation needed to jump into freelancing.
Angela
Another great book full of practial advice on how to succeed as a freelance writer. Some of the information is dated because of its focus on technology, which is now obsolete, but the majority of the book will always be valid and helpful so it's worth reading and learning from.
Linda Leon
Great book, very detailed in what is provided to help a person actually reach the status of a successful freelance writer. What I liked most were the good examples on how to do this and that he sets realistic expectations for those wanting to go this route.
Marcie Hill
Man, this provides everything I need to make an income as a corporate freelance writer. Peter Bowerman shares his experiences and knowledge in an engaging and entertaining manner. This is exactly what I needed at this time.
R. Canepa
Some good info about writing/calling/drumming up some prospects, but the technological age of the book, overabundant pom-pom waving, and seemingly distorted as-of-2010 hourly rates do much to detract from its usefulness.
I love Peter Bowerman. I used this system and did indeed quit my job and achieve financial self sufficiency as a writer. Recommended if you are looking for a way to break in to copywriting.
Dana Severson
Good and informative but sometimes a little too much "motivational-speak" for me, if you know what I mean...that being said, you'll likely walk away from it feeling more empowered as a freelancer.
Becky Hennessy
What can be said: This is a very good book by a master of freelancing success. He'll lay out his systems and infuse you with confidence.

His follow-up book is on my must-read list.
Ruth Portnoy
If you are trying to make writing into a money-making enterprise, read this book. It's got great suggestions. And they work. I've tried them.
Alik Brundrett
This book is what inspired me to be a full time writer. HIGHLY recommended to anyone who wants to do freelance copywriting for a living.
Alison Flower
Great book for dipping in and out of with really useful advice for coipywriting and increasing business potential as a writer.
Rachel
Apr 07, 2009 Rachel marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rachel by: cecilia sepp
a nice lady told me i should read this. i don't have time and i can't afford any more late fees, but it's a good idea.
Marianne Peters
Practical advice, breezy style, lots of examples of work and strategies by other writers.
Cathy
About commercial writing--not what I was interested in. Only skimmed it.
Lost In A Fog
Yes, it is possible to make a living as a writer...
The Well-Fed Writer 1 8 Oct 28, 2008 12:10PM
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Your Life as Story
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on The Wall Street Journal Guide
  • Writing Life Stories
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • Making a Literary Life
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Writing Creative Nonfiction
The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book Into a Full-Time Living The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less The Well-Fed Writer: Back for Seconds: A Second Helping of "How-To" for Any Writer Dreaming of Great Bucks and Exceptional Quality of Life The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book into a Full-Time Living