Start by marking “The Metabolism Miracle” as Want to Read:
The Metabolism Miracle

The Metabolism Miracle

Over the last twenty years, registered dietitian and obesity specialist Diane Kress has helped thousands control their weight, but her long-term analysis revealed that forty-five percent of her patients struggled to lose weight, no matter their level of commitment. Kress uncovered a link between these patients- medical histories, lab work, and symptoms. Combining this insi ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2008)

Jaylin
Nov 22, 2010 Jaylin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are parts of this book that I can incorporate into my life because I am definitely a Metabolism B but there are parts that I completely don't agree with. That she advises the use of splenda and processed food so much; not healthy at all.
Shandra
Diet Update 8/15/11: I've weighed myself after dieting two months, two weeks of which have been on the Miracle Diet. I lost a total of 14 initial pounds. To accurately judge this diet's efficacy vs my regular low carb diet, I weighed myself again two weeks later. It seems Kress' Miracle Diet left me with a 2.5 lbs lost per week versus 1.5 lbs per week on my standard diet (e.g. Weight Watcher's). That's a significant difference! It will be interesting to see what my next cholesterol count will be ...more
Pam
Jun 25, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone looking for a low carb way of eating. Diane Kress is a nutrionist who specializes in insulin resistance and the affects on what she terms Metabolism B (people who are carb sensitive and will lose weight and inches by eating accordingly). She is extremely supportive and will answer emails or questions from her website for anyone on the diet who has questions or ongoing issues. The "miracle" is that this is a totally doable program that leaves you feeling great with lots ...more
Andrea
Aug 04, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life.

It really is a miracle for me. After years of battling insulin resistance and PCOS, and eating healthy, exercising, and STILL gaining weight... there is finally an answer for me. I've been doing the Metabolism Miracle program for almost a year now and I feel better than I have in years, look great, I've lost 50 pounds, and my cholesterol and triglycerides are better than they have been in over 15 years. I highly recommend this book for anyone with insulin resistance and/o
Jeannette
Nov 24, 2013 Jeannette rated it really liked it
The book is well written with a lot of valuable information. I am only just beginning week 2 of Step 1, so I can't report on the effectiveness of the plan. However, I am feeling better, having less digestive problems and not feeling hungry.
Ryan
Jan 28, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read, and do it. You will see the result..:)
Justin Tapp
Sep 07, 2016 Justin Tapp rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
The Metabolism Miracle: 3 Easy Steps to Regain Control of Your Weight . . . Permanently is another book repackaging old information and bad statistics as a "miracle." I automatically have a bias against any book selling a "miracle" because the author doesn't know how miracle is really defined.

I'll start with some advice, instead of buying this book just jump to Phase 3: Find an online calculator to help you figure out your macronutrient balance with 30-35% of your calories coming from carbs. Wor
Amanda
Jul 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
First, I want to clarify that I am reviewing the BOOK, not the diet itself. Since I am only on my third week of step one, I can't give a fair review of the whole program. I am only reviewing the book.

My knowledge of biology/anatomy/etc. is only at the high school level. (In other words, I did not major in any of those fields in college.) So, I can't say for sure that this is based on 100% sound science, but it does seem to make sense to me. I have the majority of the Metabolism B symptoms (my mo
Aili
Feb 12, 2013 Aili rated it really liked it
After reading "Why We Get Fat..," I was looking for a diet plan to go along with my new knowledge. This one has been great! I'm on week 3, and feeling fantastic!
Christy Parker
Feb 13, 2015 Christy Parker rated it it was amazing
I've never really been a fan of Low Carb diets, but when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (DM), my doctor suggested that I look into a Low Carb diet for weight loss. Atkins and South Beach have never really set well with me (I think that the carb level is far too restricted, and that they don't have a solid plan in place for returning carbs to the diet when the weight is lost).

Then my mother suggested the Metabolism Miracle. It is the only thing that really works for me (I've tried DASH, whi
Petra Kadar
Aug 30, 2015 Petra Kadar rated it did not like it
I have been reading nutritional related books for years and years. This book has a lot of misleading informations.

"It is not necessary to look at sugar grams as sugar is only one small part of the carbohydrate picture. Total carb grams will show you all of the carbs in the food item." This is a false information. Sugar is the worst you can eat, and the whole point is to avoid sugar. The is a type of sugar called fructose which is responsible for the fat. So I would suggest highly to avoid sugar
Theresa Stevens
Jan 31, 2013 Theresa Stevens rated it it was ok
Shelves: have-read
Well it definitely a 'how to do' book, explaining that with 'metabolism B' your body responds differently to what, how and when you eat food.
Life events can be considered the culprit of whether you are overweight or not... I can vouch that 'stress' does make you either put on or lose weight according to your emotional shovelling it in or not eating at all.
There are three steps of spring clean detox, re-introducing carbs with portion control, and maintenance by keeping the weight off.
And throu
Jessica Buike
Dec 20, 2011 Jessica Buike rated it liked it
This book was a very good read, but I found it to be lacking in studies that backed up the data. As someone who has struggled with losing weight, I thought this might work for me - but it didn't. It also didn't work for my husband, who is a different body type than I am. However, it worked for a friend of ours, so it might still be worth it to try if you are interested. I wasn't floored by anything in this book, but it was a decent read.
Gail
Jun 20, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
This is hubbies strategy for getting in shape. It is killing my baking .Very low carb..no wine..what has our baby boomer life come too?Okay so Kris has lost two pant sizes. I am trailing way behind because I am a carbaholic!
Delia
May 25, 2012 Delia rated it it was ok
After following her advice, I realized her program was NOT for me! It's too harsh and too restrictive for those of us who are self-proclaimed carb addicts. I've moved on to another program and lost 122 lbs.
Nick Woodall
It's a diet book, so I'm only giving it 3 stars. And, I will judge it's effectiveness by the results I get. So, I may change my star rating depending on the results, but as a book, I will only give it a 3.
Gita
Jan 14, 2015 Gita rated it it was amazing
Makes complete sense to those who struggled their entire life, ate much less than all of the other family members eating same food cooked in the house, yet remained much more heavier than all. Metabolism B type? Yes, that is their problem indeed! This diet works on B types! Amazing but true!
Tamahome

Yet another book in the low carb/high fat camp. Being sure you eat every 5 hours to keep your liver from spitting out sugar sounds like a good rule to me. :) She was on the livin la vida low carb podcast.

Lydia
Jul 07, 2016 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for those who have struggled to lose weight in the past. Basically a lower carb diet but allows for small servings of carbs which help the "I just want a little piece of bread" that all low carbers suffer through. Includes recipes, many of which sound delicious.
Tammi
Mar 12, 2011 Tammi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Not a fan. This is too extreme. Not being allowed to eat any carbs over 5 grams for 8 weeks is too drastic. No fruit allowed at all. I prefer the other two books I read this week (The Insulin Resistance Diet and the Glycemic Index Load). I will try some of the recipes in this book though.
Kay Little
Jun 23, 2013 Kay Little rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it this high rating because the concept of this book works. I've suffered my whole life with the issues outlined in this book and feel so relieved that someone has finally figured out a solution!!
Debby Johnson
Excellant book. A must read for anyone who has high blook pressure taking meds for cholestrol, insulin resistence. It really explains how glycose works in the body.
Kelliec
Mar 27, 2011 Kelliec rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-2011
Great book. Little different take than South Beach. I'm hoping it'll help me get back on track for a few more pounds off the middle part of my body. We'll start back on Monday!
Lizpeveto
Jul 30, 2013 Lizpeveto rated it liked it
Good information. Facts, not opinions, are necessary to form whether or not this can work for you. Just another method of helping people maintain a proper weight and diet for healthier living.
Konnie
Jul 14, 2013 Konnie rated it liked it
Shelves: nook-books
The guts of this book are good. I totally relate to the metabolism B information. However, I can't eat dairy and gluten makes me poofy. So I think I will stick with a more paleo lifestyle.
Claudia
Feb 13, 2013 Claudia rated it liked it
read the book. Started the diet. Have been on it for 3 weeks. Hopefully I last the 8 weeks for step 1 and then another 8 for step 2.
Kat
Mar 28, 2013 Kat marked it as did-not-finish
I have PCOS. And seems like I fit some of these things. But I have no interest in low carb. Been doing low calorie about two months and its working great so far for me. Lost 13+ pounds already.
Apr 25, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book makes a lot of sense and describes me perfectly! I am going on the plan next week. I hope it works as well for me as it has for others.
Sonja
May 19, 2013 Sonja rated it liked it
Good thoughts, and I might try this diet again sometime, although I did not initially make it through the first six weeks. Interesting concept.
Denise Washburn
Denise Washburn rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Body Doesn't Lie: A 3-Step Program to End Chronic Pain and Become Positively Radiant
  • Voices from the Titanic: The Epic Story of the Tragedy from the People Who Were There
  • Sunny's Kitchen: Easy Food For Real Life
  • Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
  • 400 Calorie Fix
  • RX from the Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • Inconvenient People: Lunacy, Liberty and the Mad-Doctors in Victorian England
  • Imagined Lives: Portraits of unknown people
  • Over-the-Counter Natural Cures: Take Charge of Your Health in 30 Days with 10 Lifesaving Supplements for under $10
  • The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 Recipes and Ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels
  • Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food
  • The Dressage Chronicles (The Dressage Chronicles, #1)
  • Baking with Less Sugar: Recipes for Desserts Using Natural Sweeteners and Little-to-No White Sugar
  • 5-Minute Mug Cakes: Over 100 Yummy Cakes from Funfetti to Peanut Butter
  • The Low-FODMAP Diet Cookbook: 150 Simple, Flavorful, Gut-Friendly Recipes to Ease the Symptoms of IBS, Celiac Disease, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and Other Digestive Disorders
  • 24 Karat Etiquette: Golden Rules from the World’s Most Glamorous Zip Code
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes

“Your pancreas, however, because of Metabolism B, releases excess insulin to deal with the bagel’s glucose rush. Once this insulin helps to refill the glycogen stores in your muscle and liver, the excess keys will open excess fat cells. In an effort to feed these fat cells, you will dip into your normal blood sugar, leaving too little glucose left in the bloodstream to keep up your energy and sense of satiation. Your blood glucose has now dipped below the normal range. And so, after eating exactly the same meal, you will end up “fatter” than your friend and with lower blood glucose than she has!” 0 likes
“The body has a five-hour clock that runs continually, day and night. Each time you eat carbohydrate, your body can run on that blood sugar for about five hours. If you choose not to eat within five hours, your liver will release stored blood glucose called glycogen that will push blood levels back into the normal range. Releases of liver glycogen keep your body working until you choose to eat again.” 0 likes