Start by marking “Final Appeal” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,947 ratings  ·  164 reviews

Published (first published September 26th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Final Appeal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Appeal

Dyana
This was Scottoline's second book. I found it to be a boring no depth legal thriller with not much legal or thriller involved. I'm glad she has matured as a writer, and I have enjoyed her later books. That said, this one is about Philadelphia lawyer, Grace Rossi, who finds a part-time job with the federal appeals court after a divorce. She is assigned a high profile death penalty case (which is a background sub-plot that is not developed) by her boss. They become romantically involved one late n ...more
Laurel-Rain
Grace Rossi, single mom to six-year-old Maddie, is starting over again. Divorced, she no longer works as a trial lawyer. Instead, she works part-time in the appellate court in Philadelphia, for a judge she admires. This aspect of the job probably makes it all worthwhile for her. She is attracted to her boss, but doesn't think anything will happen between them.

A death penalty case is up for appeal and time is running out. Grace and her boss, Judge Armen Gregorian, believe his sentence should be r
J
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS, BUT THEY DO HAVE SPOILERS.

Yay! I found another Scottoline "lady lawyer" tale that I hadn't yet read. (The only two I'm still looking for are "Dirty Blonde" and "Moment of Truth.")

A divorced, single-mom attorney named Grace is the lead character in this book. She's been on staff to an elite federal judge, when the judge suddenly dies. Initially everyone thinks it was suicide -- but Grace. She and the judge had just had a mutually-desired intimate encounter; she can't beli
Linda
Really enjoyed this one. It’s definitely a fast-paced read – I blazed through it in a single day. Of course the single day was the day after a transatlantic flight, so I’m sorry to say it didn’t help my jet lag any to lie in bead reading from midnight straight through till 4:30 a.m. But with books like this, who needs TV?

Quick plot summary (some spoilers ahead, so it’s hidden): (view spoiler)
Cindy
I enjoyed this thriller, although some of it is a little dated (it was written in the mid-90s). It starts off with a bang and leads the reader through plenty of twists and turns. The characters were fun - I especially liked Eletha and Shake-and-Bake. In fact, the subplot involved Shake-and-Bake was definitely a lot of fun. This was a good legal thriller.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Grace Rossi is starting over after a divorce, and a part-time job with a federal appeals court sounds perfect. But she doesn't count on being assigned to an explosive death penalty appeal. Nor does she expect ardor in the court in the form of an affair with the chief judge. Then Grace finds herself investigating a murder, unearthing a secret bank account and following a trail of bribery and judicial corruption that's stumped even the FBI. In no time at all, Grace under fire takes on a wh
Valerie
I understand this was the second book that Lisa Scottoline wrote. She is an American mystery writer. She was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA on 1 July 1955. She read law at the University of Pennsylvania and practised law in her native city of Philadelphia before starting to write.

I quite enjoyed this one. It is a fast-paced read and I did read it quickly.

In Final Appeal, the love story sub-plot you expect in this kind of novel is there, but it takes a turn out of left field it is does
Renee
A fine finish.
J.S.
I must admit that I didn't finish the book. After the first three chapters, I gave up and tossed it across the room. All I found in three chapters was a bunch of legal people hanging out acting like children. Then there was a gratuitous sex scene in chapter three and still no discernible plot. That was my scream moment.

I was looking for a new favorite author...this was not the one.
Chris
Lorrie
Another enjoyable Scottoline read. This one was a bit shorter but just right to get in and now out of during the work week driving to and from work. While listening I couldn't help but wonder how Lawyer Grace gets away with doing seemingly whatever she wants while working in the court house. She has keys in and out of everywhere and seems to devote 100% of her time to the current case. This one was the death of Judge Armen Gregorian the Armenian. Grace has special interest in this case and puts ...more
Joan
Good fast mystery read. Grace is back at work after her divorce. She has a 6 year old daughter who is having problems because she has no friends at school. Grace is being helped by her gruff, smoking mother. Her father who left years ago is back. He gives her some in info about why he left. Grace begins an affair with her boss, the judge, when he tells her he filed for divorce. After their first night together, he commits suicide. Grace doesn't believe it is suicide and begins to investigate. Sh ...more
Lia Rock lantz
A good law mystery. Only 226 pages of good reading. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and love this author. Happy Reading!
Lisa
This is Scottoline's second book, before she started the Rosato & Associates series. This book is very witty and is laugh-out-loud funny in places, along with having a good plot and characters. The author introduces some types that she will use later in other books, such as the three Italian-American elderly men who help the protagonist. The treatment of the protagonist, a single mother, and her daughter is very appealing. There is some unfortunate and unnecessary foul language. A good job, ...more
M.M. Silva
Happy humid Sunday, people! I hope you're in some air conditioning wherever this finds you.

This week's read was titled Final Appeal, by Lisa Scottoline. I thought that I'd read every one of her books so far, but I somehow missed this one. (It's Rosato and Associates Series #2 for those of you familiar with the series). The main character in this book is single mom Grace Rossi, who's an attorney working on a death penalty appeal and who has a very brief affair with her boss--a judge--before he os
Samantha
Nov 18, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal Suspense Novel Lovers
First of all, I must confess that I'm a huge Lisa Scottoline fan. I haven't read all her books in order which is why I'm reading her second book that she wrote way after I've read a lot of the others. I was really hooked into this book in the first 50 pages or so. You meet the main character of the book, Grace Rossi as part time employee of the Chief Justice of Appelate Court. She is a mother of a young child and a lawyer. She falls for her boss and then while looking at deciding a death penalty ...more
Bridget
This is one of Lisa Scottoline's early books, but it was new to me.

Grace Rossi is a lawyer in Philadelphia who has started working part-time after a divorce. She gets a job with a federal appeals court, and is overall quite pleased with it - until she is assigned a high-profile death penalty appeal case. She also learns that her boss, who she has secretly always found attractive, finds her attractive as well. One night while working late, they admit to their feelings and make love. The next morn
Ed
Debut non-series offering from the author of the Rosato & Associates series.

Legal Thriller - Grace Rossi, single mother and ex-trial lawyer is clerking part-time for Chief Judge Armen Gregorian of the US Court of Appeals. Grace has a crush on the judge who has confided that he is about to become divorced from his newly elected Senator wife. The judge is found dead, an apparent suicide, but Grace is sure it's a murder and investigates.
LJ
FINAL APPEAL - Poor
Scottoline, Lisa - 2nd in series

To Philadelphia lawyer Grace Rossi, who is starting over after a divorce, a part-time job with a federal appeals court sounds perfect. But Grace doesn't count on being assigned to an explosive death penalty appeal. Nor does she expect to have an affair with her boss, Chief Judge Armen Gregorian. Then the unimaginable happens: an apparent suicide in strange circumstances leads to Grace becoming involved in a murder investigation. As events spiral
Cindy Jacobson
Final Appeal

Clearly one of the early books from this author. Grace is a single mom working for a judge. He is found dead, an apparent suicide. But Grace thinks something else is going on and that the judge was murdered. The story was all over the place, but the mystery was good. Light summer read.

Connie
Great story

At first there were so many characters introduced, I was a little confused. Quickly I got them all straight and was hooked at some of the surprises. Near the end there were a few typos, but they didn't change the story. Sorry to have it end, want to know what happens next to the characters!
Diana H.
If you are one of those people who believe that Justice is blind, DON’T read this book. Even though this is a work of fiction, parts read like newspaper headlines frequently seen in this day and age. Sad but true…

It’s bad enough that Philadelphia lawyer, Grace Rossi, is having an affair with her boss, Chief Judge Armen Gregorian – his going and “committing suicide” in his office really make for a bad day.

With a death penalty case coming up for its final appeal, everyone involved is concerned.

Sec
James Cooper
Definitely a page turner and did keep my interest. The ending seemed a little confusing/lame, but at least we know who killed Armen. While I generally like historical fiction - this wasn't written with that theme in mind. Hence the 3 stars, if the author used less actual places/people the rating would have been higher.
Susan
Couldn't put this one down either. Stopped at the B&N in a beautiful town outside of Philadelphia (where they had signed copies of Scottline's Come Home - don't think I wasn't tempted to buy it!)so I could read it on the way to the New Jersey shore. Just like other Scottoline plot lines this is about a female lawyer; however, Grace has a part-time job with a federal appeals court and she is a single mother. Assigned to a death penalty case that turns deadly, she's thrust into an investigatio ...more
thalia f gerachis
Enjoyable read

One of my most favorite things about Ms Scottoline's style is her storytelling ability and technique that makes her characters come to life in a delightful way. They almost become your friend because they pop up in other stories too.
Carol
This book was a quick, easy read, but I lost interest in the end, instead of being excited about what was happening. Too many important to the series new characters introduced all at once, I think was part of the problem. But...an okay read. I listened to it on audio book.
Janis Knecht
Final Appeal's pace is swift, the plot line totally believable and Ms. Scottoline's characters are so real you speculate about them long after you finish this delightful novel. One can only hope Grace Rossi appears in another Scottoline novel soon!
Hapzydeco
Told in the first person tends to limit this first book by Lisa Scottoline. But the fast paced plot and delightful characters carry the day until the end. The conclusion was more slam, bang, thank you, madam than tying it altogether.
Michele
Interesting book!

I really enjoyed this book! Although it began with a horrible crime, it evolved into a suspenseful "who done it" novel quickly (and with some interesting characters). The ending was unexpected.
Deby
Another can't-turn-the-pages fast enough thriller. Fast-paced, lots of plot twists (although the final twist really blew me away). My favorite Scottoline book to date.

I always feel that her books should have 2-3 more chapters to bring it to a proper close. One feels as if they have slammed into a brick wall at the very end.

Highly recommend this book!
  • Show No Fear (Nina Reilly, #12)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Criminal Justice
  • Dead Center
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • The Deadhouse (Alexandra Cooper, #4)
  • The Last Innocent Man
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Shadow of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 23 novels, including her latest, EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES, which releases in April 2015. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled "Chick Wit" which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman's perspective.
More about Lisa Scottoline...
Look Again Save Me Come Home Don't Go Keep Quiet