Start by marking “A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)” as Want to Read:
A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)

A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West #11)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4,065 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Women of the West Series
Paperback
Published 1999 by Literary Express (first published December 12th 1961)

Be the first to ask a question about A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection)

Antof9
I liked this better than the other two "Women of the West" books I've read. This book reminded me of two other books -- "The Long Winter" (I think that's the right one), where Laura Ingalls is a young schoolteacher, and "The Wedding Dress", where an orphan's only link to her birth mother is a wedding dress that was carried in an old trunk via wagon train.

It's an interesting story of small towns, frontier life, love and God's care, with a little "Stockholm Syndrome" thrown in for good measure. So
Amy
Having officially horrified Sarah or Rebekah or one of those people because I had never read this book, apparently an ultimate classic, I picked it up at the library. Normally, I would have avoided it. My only experience with Janette Oke has been to stand with my Dad in horrified avoidance of the Love Gets Chucked Through the Window movies. Perhaps I should give them a try.
While I didn't love A Gown of Spanish Lace, it wasn't terrible. It was very clean. And I liked that, most Christian romances
Olea
This was the first book I ever read by Janette Oke. I fell in love with her writing! Not only because of the period in time she loves to write about (pioneer era) but because her characters always have a challenge that they are able to rise above by finding God, or by learning to trust Him more. She is a wonderful Christian Fiction writer and I would highly recommend her books to anyone!!
Suzanne

I like the other books by Janette Oke more then this one. I thought in was a little stupid. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't like it.
Alyssa
The plot was interesting, although in the beginning it was pretty snail paced. It also was pretty original except for a few little cliche things towards the end. What really threw me for a loop was the last couple of chapters and the events that happened in them. I wish Mrs. Oke would have added one more chapter on to the end, so we could have "seen" a little more finality, but that's just my opinion and otherwise the ending was fine. Overall a decent adventure/romance novel that will keep you o ...more
Ariana
I love this book because it is the only one I've read with a protagonist who has the same name as me.
This is a very easy read. So easy, in fact, my 10 year old could breeze through it.

"A Gown of Spanish Lace"is a beautiful conceived tale of trusting in the Lord God with all your heart regardless of circumstance and in all areas of your personal life. I am not normally a romance novel person, but Janette Oke does a great job developing a more godly aspect than concentrating on human emotion and love. God is the central focal point throughout.
V-ann Davis
This book is slow moving in the beginning but it picks up steam pretty fast. There were so many twists and turns that just have you turning the page to see if the right or not. I have read this one 2 times now and I am sure it will not be the last time.
Kyra
This book centers around Ariana, a 16 year old teacher living in the wild west. A band of outlaws kidnaps her and traps her in a small cabin, but the boss' son attempts to set her free. The book was very exciting because of all of the surprises, especially the plot twist toward the end. The touch of romance definitely added to the novel but was not too sappy. One thing I did not like about this book was the major emphasis on Christianity because it is mentioned too often and while Ariana credits ...more
Delphine
Thrill a minute

I adore, this series, and Janette Oke. this book. Definitely my favorite. each moment brought excitement and adventure. I honestly could not put it down.
thank you Father God, this was amazing
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Sandy Neal
Christian based. Very religious, western. It was a good story.
Laura Moss
Oct 29, 2014 Laura Moss marked it as to-read
Shelves: janette-oke
Women of the West #11
Gabrielle W.
Ariana loves her life as a schoolteacher in a little frontier town. But after classes are done and she prepares to head home, a band of rough outlaws abduct her and take her away. Trapped in a small shack, Ariana prays and waits, her emotions swinging between terror and boredom as days stretch into weeks. Still, the outlaws refuse to tell her why they've taken her or what they plan to do.
Then the boss's son appears in the doorway of her cabin. He seems different from the others, but can she trus
Claire
This is the same author who wrote the series "Loves Comes Softly." I first found her several years ago when the movie came out. I enjoy her works of the west and continue to like them. She is a Christian author and offers many bible versus and Christian beliefs to her books.
A Gown of Spanish Lace is not as religious as her other books however, it is still full of bible doctrine. Although, not my favorite book by this author, I still enjoyed the characters and the mystery to the book.

Alexi
I should point out that as a rule, I don't enjoy Christian lit, I don't like romances, and the wild west/homesteading era is one of my less favored genres among historical fiction. Those disclaimers aside, I enjoyed A Gown of Spanish Lace. It's the only one of Oke's books I haven't been bored by (though I acknowledge that probably has more to do with preference than quality.) Sweet story, and actually exciting in a few places. Definitely a stand-out novel for Oke.
Kay
I couldn't believe, it when they thought that they were brother and sister. I think it would be cool to find out the one of my friends mother and my mother were such good friends and then to die (I wouldn't like my mother to die)and us to be moved so far apart and the insedentaly meet again, later on.
It is amazing how Janette Oke word her books, she writes them like she has been there and done that, it would be so cool to be able to write like that.
Meredith Martin
Aug 19, 2008 Meredith Martin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 13 and up
Recommended to Meredith by: Anna
First off, I actually give this a 3 1/2 star rating. It was pretty good. The Last chapter redeemed itself, but before this it was terrible!!! I was reading on my bed absolutely sobbing! It was a little predictable, too. and also , Janette Oke has again made her Characters somewhat Stupid. I figured it out LONG before they did. But it was a very Entertaining short Read. Anna- I liked it Enough to keep it; Thanks!
Elaine
Though I never have trouble getting through her books, this particular one really had me hooked. It was a departure from other stories I've read by her in that their was a crime committed and a significant mystery to boot!
June
A sweet story set in the old west with an innocent young teacher and a desperado. Outlaws kidnap the teacher and take her to their hide out for the winter. Love blooms between the teacher, Ariana and one of the young desparadoes named Laramie. They soon discover they actually have a past that ties them together. Laramie plans a daring escape to get Ariana back home where she belongs.
Amanda
It was a refreshing change to read a Janette Oke novel that focuses more on romance (I love books that only have romance as a supporting theme, but it's nice to sometimes focus on it more). I thought it was kinda funny how the gown didn't even get mentioned until near the end, though. And as for the brother-sister thing, I thought of it well before Laramie did! :P
F
Of the five Janette Oke books I have read in recent months, A Gown of Spanish Lace, is my least favorite. The first sixteen chapters were slow developing. Then the last eight chapters were more intriguing to read. I thought Janette Oke did an outstanding portrayal throughout the book of the solace / peace found in reading, studying, & memorizing the Bible.
Lacy
This is straightforward easy read about life in the old west told from a christian perspective. Nothing earth shaking about this book but it was an uplifting and nice story. Near then end was a bit awkward for me, but the awkwardness was a good change from all the nicesness :)

This was my first Janette Oke book and so far I like her spiritual view.
Aletha
Yeah, I know. A silly romantic, historical fiction book. But I own two copies of it. I have NO IDEA how I came to read it the first time around. I think it was one of those that my grandma had given me in a stack of books and I picked it up, randomly, to read to avoid my chores. I am always doing that.

Anyway, it is good. A great story.
I was surprised that I liked this book. I tend to stay away from "romance." But this was really good. The story is a bit unbelievable, but hey, it's fiction. The romancing in this book was very light and appropriate. Not superficial or done in a way that would unrealistically heighten a woman's expectations.
Kayla
This was soooooo good!! It had me worried there for a while close to the end, but I loved how it tied together at the end. I also liked how it kept you on your toes and wasn't one of those that you could predict the ending after the 3rd chapter. This one, I had no idea what would happen next! It was wonderful. :)
Donna
I thought this would be really sappy, so put off reading this book club book. However, it was better than I thought, and once I got into it, it really hooked me.

The story line progressed in a non-predictable manner.

Really enjoyed this book. It was the first of Janette Oke that I've read, and I enjoyed it.
Ariana
Well, my name is Ariana, so I'm already inclined to like this book more than most. I think that this is one of Oke's top three books, the other two are A Bride for Donnigan and A Woman Named Damaris.

If you like similar books, I would certainly recommend this one. Laramie is a great example to us all.
Sharon
Gabrielle
I love this book! The story is wonderful! It is romantic, scary, and there is an amazing unexpected turn right when you think there is going to be a happy ending! Amazing amazing amazing book!!!!!!!!!! My favorite by janette oke! She is my favorite author I fell in love with her great books!!
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2)
  • The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy