Start by marking “A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)” as Want to Read:
A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)

A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West #11)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,880 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Women of the West Series
Published 1999 by Literary Express (first published January 1st 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection)

Amy
Feb 21, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Having officially horrified Sarah or Rebekah or one of those people because I had never read this book, apparently an ultimate classic, I picked it up at the library. Normally, I would have avoided it. My only experience with Janette Oke has been to stand with my Dad in horrified avoidance of the Love Gets Chucked Through the Window movies. Perhaps I should give them a try.
While I didn't love A Gown of Spanish Lace, it wasn't terrible. It was very clean. And I liked that, most Christian romances
Amanda Tero
Jun 09, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it really liked it
Out of all of Oke's books which I've read, this one is the most "romanticized Western." Excitement, gunfights, lawlessness, and forgiveness are threaded throughout the story. A plot twist at the end keeps your interest until the last words are completed.

My favorite theme throughout the book is trust. The main character learns how to trust the Lord in one area only to turn around and realize that she faces another way in which she must trust.

I recommend this book for older teens because of violen
Antof9
Jan 05, 2009 Antof9 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2004-read, americana
I liked this better than the other two "Women of the West" books I've read. This book reminded me of two other books -- "The Long Winter" (I think that's the right one), where Laura Ingalls is a young schoolteacher, and "The Wedding Dress", where an orphan's only link to her birth mother is a wedding dress that was carried in an old trunk via wagon train.

It's an interesting story of small towns, frontier life, love and God's care, with a little "Stockholm Syndrome" thrown in for good measure. So
Olea
Jun 06, 2010 Olea rated it really liked it
This was the first book I ever read by Janette Oke. I fell in love with her writing! Not only because of the period in time she loves to write about (pioneer era) but because her characters always have a challenge that they are able to rise above by finding God, or by learning to trust Him more. She is a wonderful Christian Fiction writer and I would highly recommend her books to anyone!!
Suzanne
Sep 24, 2007 Suzanne rated it liked it

I like the other books by Janette Oke more then this one. I thought in was a little stupid. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't like it.
Alyssa
Jul 15, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it
The plot was interesting, although in the beginning it was pretty snail paced. It also was pretty original except for a few little cliche things towards the end. What really threw me for a loop was the last couple of chapters and the events that happened in them. I wish Mrs. Oke would have added one more chapter on to the end, so we could have "seen" a little more finality, but that's just my opinion and otherwise the ending was fine. Overall a decent adventure/romance novel that will keep you o ...more
Marie
Jul 09, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly thought that the ENTIRE book was going to be about this stupid dress so I wasn't going to read it. After my sister suggested it to me I decided to actually read the description and give it a go. I read it in one sitting; I stayed up until 3:30 in the morning doing so. And I loved it. I never thought I could love a Western/Romance, but I DO. I felt so sappy after reading this that I had to go listen to screamo to remind myself that I'm a strong, independent woman who don't like sappy s ...more
Ariana
Mar 06, 2013 Ariana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-and-earlier
I love this book because it is the only one I've read with a protagonist who has the same name as me.
Dec 07, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a very easy read. So easy, in fact, my 10 year old could breeze through it.

"A Gown of Spanish Lace"is a beautiful conceived tale of trusting in the Lord God with all your heart regardless of circumstance and in all areas of your personal life. I am not normally a romance novel person, but Janette Oke does a great job developing a more godly aspect than concentrating on human emotion and love. God is the central focal point throughout.
Beverly
May 13, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trust

What would we readers do if God didn't chose writers. This penning is by far one of the best I've read. WOW is an understatement. Christian fiction at it's finest. The reader will go thru every emotion God created...Trust is the lesson that unlocks the secret to love at its finest. It's a rollercoaster of the human heart and a must read. Don't delay read it today.
Kyra
Jan 10, 2013 Kyra rated it really liked it
This book centers around Ariana, a 16 year old teacher living in the wild west. A band of outlaws kidnaps her and traps her in a small cabin, but the boss' son attempts to set her free. The book was very exciting because of all of the surprises, especially the plot twist toward the end. The touch of romance definitely added to the novel but was not too sappy. One thing I did not like about this book was the major emphasis on Christianity because it is mentioned too often and while Ariana credits ...more
Delphine
Apr 06, 2014 Delphine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrill a minute

I adore, this series, and Janette Oke. this book. Definitely my favorite. each moment brought excitement and adventure. I honestly could not put it down.
thank you Father God, this was amazing
Cecilia D.
Jan 13, 2015 Cecilia D. rated it liked it
This book was very special to me, as it launched me into a reading frenzy... that hasn't stopped! Overall, well written and a nice read for me, when I feel like reading a lighthearted, quick, easy book.
Beth
May 11, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, christian
I think this book was my very first Christian romance, my Mum gave it to me when I was 13/14 and I've loved it ever since!
It's a sweet and touching story with a lovely old-fashioned flair about it and the plot takes some unexpected turns. I'm an absolute sucker for damsel in distress themes too!

One of my favourite moments is (view spoiler)
Nadine Keels
Aug 15, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Debby Baumgartner
Historical fiction of Ariana is kidnapped by outlaws. Will she ever get back to her family? A wedding gown made of Spanish lace holds the key to marrying her true love.
Rachel
Nov 29, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was a quick and exciting read. Not quite as captivating as Love Comes Softly but I enjoyed it.
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a quick sweet read I really enjoy the characters!!!!
Sandy Neal
Mar 09, 2014 Sandy Neal rated it liked it
Christian based. Very religious, western. It was a good story.
Ava
Shelves: janette-oke
Women of the West #11
Gabrielle W.
Mar 02, 2014 Gabrielle W. rated it it was amazing
Ariana loves her life as a schoolteacher in a little frontier town. But after classes are done and she prepares to head home, a band of rough outlaws abduct her and take her away. Trapped in a small shack, Ariana prays and waits, her emotions swinging between terror and boredom as days stretch into weeks. Still, the outlaws refuse to tell her why they've taken her or what they plan to do.
Then the boss's son appears in the doorway of her cabin. He seems different from the others, but can she trus
Claire
Aug 08, 2010 Claire rated it liked it
This is the same author who wrote the series "Loves Comes Softly." I first found her several years ago when the movie came out. I enjoy her works of the west and continue to like them. She is a Christian author and offers many bible versus and Christian beliefs to her books.
A Gown of Spanish Lace is not as religious as her other books however, it is still full of bible doctrine. Although, not my favorite book by this author, I still enjoyed the characters and the mystery to the book.

Merna Malmberg
Apr 09, 2015 Merna Malmberg rated it really liked it
It was an easy, reading book.
Alexi
Jun 19, 2012 Alexi rated it liked it
I should point out that as a rule, I don't enjoy Christian lit, I don't like romances, and the wild west/homesteading era is one of my less favored genres among historical fiction. Those disclaimers aside, I enjoyed A Gown of Spanish Lace. It's the only one of Oke's books I haven't been bored by (though I acknowledge that probably has more to do with preference than quality.) Sweet story, and actually exciting in a few places. Definitely a stand-out novel for Oke.
Ivy Rose
May 22, 2015 Ivy Rose rated it really liked it
A little predictable, but other than that it was a good story. I enjoyed it.
Kay
Sep 23, 2008 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: janette-oke
I couldn't believe, it when they thought that they were brother and sister. I think it would be cool to find out the one of my friends mother and my mother were such good friends and then to die (I wouldn't like my mother to die)and us to be moved so far apart and the insedentaly meet again, later on.
It is amazing how Janette Oke word her books, she writes them like she has been there and done that, it would be so cool to be able to write like that.
Meredith Martin
Aug 19, 2008 Meredith Martin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls 13 and up
Recommended to Meredith by: Anna
First off, I actually give this a 3 1/2 star rating. It was pretty good. The Last chapter redeemed itself, but before this it was terrible!!! I was reading on my bed absolutely sobbing! It was a little predictable, too. and also , Janette Oke has again made her Characters somewhat Stupid. I figured it out LONG before they did. But it was a very Entertaining short Read. Anna- I liked it Enough to keep it; Thanks!
Elaine
Oct 31, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Though I never have trouble getting through her books, this particular one really had me hooked. It was a departure from other stories I've read by her in that their was a crime committed and a significant mystery to boot!
Hannah
Feb 28, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was so exciting and interesting! It kept my heart beating fast as I read through the book of how Ariana was kidnapped, lived in a camp with outlaws, freed, and then how she goes through many difficult circumstances afterward. Beware though because, if you're like me, this book will make you cry in some parts. :) Overall, I loved this book and it was very well written!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 02, 2016 10:27AM
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • A Bride for Donnigan