Start by marking “The Wolf at the Door (Sean Dillion, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf at the Door (Sean Dillion, #17)

The Wolf at the Door (Sean Dillon #17)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,109 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Dark men and darker deeds from the New York Times- bestselling author and "dean of intrigue novelists" (St. Louis Post- Dispatch)

On Long Island, a trusted operative for the president nudges his boat up to a pier, when a man materializes out of the rain and shoots him. In London, General Charles Ferguson, adviser to the prime minister, approaches his car on a side street
Published January 19th 2010 by G.P. Putnam (first published September 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf at the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolf at the Door

Samuel Tyler
It comes to something that I have now started to dread these words in front of a Jack Higgins novel; Dillon is back. Through the 60s, 70s and 80s Higgins created countless fun thrillers that had a multitude of characters, but since the early 90s it has felt almost like all his books are about Sean Dillon and his crew. This is not a good thing as they all mould into one book and by now have far too many characters. 2009’s ‘The Wolf at the Door’ is a great example. Here Dillon and nearly every sin ...more
Daniel
Hace años, por ahí unos quince, no leía un libro de Jack Higgins. Tal vez el último fue Year of the Tiger , pero no me pregunte de qué se trata porque no me acuerdo (En comparación con otros tipos de literatura, he leído muy pocas novelas desde que salí del colegio). El caso es que Higgins es uno de mis autores de novelas de acción-suspenso favoritos, así que solo por eso disfruté volver a leerlo después de tanto tiempo.

The Wolf at the Door es un libro más de la famosa saga de Higgins con Sean D
Ben Perlman
Another fun thriller from Jack Higgins. If you're a fan of his work, this book is great. It's interesting because it is mostly told from the perspective of the villain, and it really sends an interesting message about good & evil being a matter of perspective. I found myself cheering for the bad guy, and at the end of the book realizing that the villain isn't really that much different than Higgins' heroic characters.
Henri Moreaux
Slightly better than his recent books, it's hard to even justify giving this three stars, it's firmly in 2.5 territory.

This novel begins with the ending (which happens to be the part containing the most action, and interest). It then steadily proceeds downhill with recounting of past events leading up to the ending, which you already have read. Thus you can already establish some of the past events you're now reading through thereby making them somewhat redundant and the book a little dull.

The o
Paul
Thought that this book was enticing from the preview, but then was disappointed once I started reading this book.

The beginning was basically the ending of the story, but then there wasn't much in terms of action as all the characters were not harmed (it seemed too easy).

Was hoping for a twist at the end, but it never came.
L.F. Falconer
Perhaps this was not the best introduction to Jack Higgins. The story was confusing. Too much talk. Too little action. And a host of paper thin characters I couldn't keep up with or care about. The plot was just barely intriguing enough to keep me reading through.
Ed
#17 in the Sean Dillon series. The Prime Minister's Private Army continue to defend England against terrorism, in this instance terrorism aided by the personal efforts of Vladimir Putin. An entertaining page-turner, but hardly distinguishable from the other books in the series.

Sean Dillon series - Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin is behind a plot to kill Dillon and other members of the British prime minister's private army for their being a thorn in his side. Gen. Ferguson is walking toward
Janis
Read his series with recurring characters Sean Dillon, Roper, etc. As always, taut drama. A real page turner that kept me on the edge of my seat waiting for what happened next. Hope there's another.
Eliezer
At this point, I think I could write the dialogue for some of Higgins' characters, Sean Dillon among them. The last few books have been a revolving door of a certain type of character: the hard man who has seen it all, experienced the world's underbelly, and yet remains unaffected in a curious way, with "the smile of a man who doesn't take the world too seriously" (I swear that line has been in the last five Higgins books). The Wolf at the Door is no different. Daniel Holley watches his cousin g ...more
Claudia
Not bad, though I never like starting a series in the middle (or with its most recent, as this is).

It started off with a bang, then had a couple of pages of genuinely clunky exposition, as people who'd known each other for years met and explained themselves purely for the reader's benefit. "Hello, John Doe, old friend and former foe I've known for umpty-ump years. Remember how we met, when all this stuff happened, and this, and this, that you couldn't possibly have forgotten? No, I haven't eithe
Jay Connor
I have been reading Jack Higgins for quite awhile – at least as far back as the superb “The Eagle has Landed” and the very enjoyable “The White House Connection.” Though recently I have become restless with his main serial characters in British and US intelligence. It also seemed that Higgins was becoming bored, as well. Perhaps the only reason that I picked up “The Wolf at the Door” was the glimmer of energy I saw in last year’s “A Darker Place.” I was rewarded.

Higgins seems revitalized. While
Kevin Allmaras
Haven't read anything from Jack Higgins in a while. Glad I picked this up. I read The Eagle has Landed over 30 years ago and used it in my High school English SAT. Took the teachers a while to find someone who had read it. That was a great book. The problem for Mr Higgins is it went some what down hill from there. This is a good story with a fast pace and the plot is done first and the lead up to comes second. Not a bad way to go. I need to go back and read some of the earlier books with these c ...more
Mattj
Personally I really liked this book, like many of the other Jack Higgins' novels. The plot was quite in depth and the back stories help the flow and my understanding of the novel. The story of Daniel Holley's drastic shift to the darker side himself and his struggles throughout life and into the present give the novel a darker, more intense tone. His dominance in the later half of the book was an interesting twist to the regular set of characters that Higgins usually uses, and I look forward to ...more
Sandi
I didn't enjoy this book as much as many of the Higgins books I've read. The book begins with assassination attempts on characters we've seen in many of Higgins' books: Blake Johnson, Ferguson, Harry Miller. Dillon is there, as are the rest of the cast readers of Higgins have come to know. The majority of the book is concerned with Holley and his imprisonment and release. Without going into details that would spoil the book, the reader is given a history of the development of an assassin.

Current
Kevin Hammond
Here’s another fine thriller from Jack Higgins, and at 80 years of age!

This one's structured differently than most. The first third of the book’s action reveals the end game: a fast paced shoot 'em up set of assassination attempts aimed at Ferguson and several of his key people. At this point you may be wondering how the story will play out, because you already know how it's going to end, but you don’t know exactly how or why.

And then you’re introduced to the new characters as the author slows d
Bob
Meh...I suspect this is the effect of a long writing writer who has begun to mail it in. The character development is a bit lacking, so you don't feel much for the main protagonists. The story is told in an odd way, with the end told first, and the build up comes next. A somewhat far-fetched tale of Irish gangsters, Russian military and English intelligence in a triangle. Just a light duty summer read, but pretty forgettable.
Dave Hoff
The old friends of Higgin's books all had attempts on their lives at the same time but in different places, in the first chapter. All survive and the rest of the book gives the history of how it all was arranged. The IRA working for the Russians. The Main bad guy, Daniel Holley, with a history like Dillions, will no doubt be heard from in future books and may well turn into a good guy.
Bonnie
I have really gotten hooked on the audiobooks of Jack Higgins series featuring Sean Dillon, former enforcer for the IRA, soldier of fortune, now a member of the "Prime Minister's Secret Army". Higgins is obviously convinced that Russia is still an enemy and Putin is simply the latest incarnation of Kruschev. Whether he's right or wrong, his thrillers in this series are a lot of fun, particularly in the skillfully narrated CD form. The accents are well done. The characters are vivid and memorable ...more
Carrie
It was a reasonable Higgins story, although I felt it was more of a 'prequel' plot introducing Higgins next main character...watch out Dillon I think you're gonna be replaced!
Denise Ann Oates
Jack Higgins is always a delight.

I have read all previous books in this series and will continue with them. Always entertaining and suspenseful.
An excellent read.
Gheeta
Received this book as a Christmas present. It's not my preferred genre, so I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised that I didn't really enjoy my time reading it. The story felt more like the proverbial 'horrible accident' that you can't help but lookat. It was an easy read, somewhat of a page-turner, but I don't foresee myself reading it again any time soon. Higgins uses time in an odd way with most of the ending revealed first, then the majority of the book is the background regarding how t ...more
Kay Wells
another cliff hanger from Jack Higgins series where this book brings a lot of characters together from previous books to make a story line for this book. It ends nearly where it began with intrigue and action in between.
Kitty
Too many characters not enough action or twists. I'm more of a Clive Cussler fan though.
Mark Pare
Overall a good book. Pretty formulaic, but it works for Higgins. The audiobook performance is very good. I find them easy to follow but interesting. Higgins tells a good story.
Leo
Mar 08, 2010 Leo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cia
I was disappointed. Its one of those books that starts with what is the end of the book. Blake Johnson gets shot getting off his sail boat but he manages to shot his assailant. Harry Miller is almost killed but he manages to put a bullet in the leg of his assailant. General Fergusons car get blown up but he escaped, The Slaters almost got torched at their pub. Once all of this happens the story starts from the begining with the persons behind all of this.
It was not the thrilling interest attract
Keith Hughes
This was an enjoyable book but it was rather strangely put together. The first 83 pages has the standard Higgins' collection of characters facing a series of coordinated attacks and responding to them, but the entire rest of the book shows the people and machinations that was behind the attacks. I don't know if he's trying to establish a storyline for a new character, the Danial Holley who planned the attacks, but it felt odd that the majority of the book was about how the attacks took place.
Mark
Not a had read but clearly designed more for those who have kept track with the previous novels than as a stand alone novel. The book contains references to events that (I presume) happened in the previous book and also assumes you are already familiar with the main characters as it doesn't really expand upon their background in this story.

If you've read previous novels with these characters then you'd probably appreciate the book more than someone coming to the series fresh.
Malia
Another great story by Jack Higgins. It was fun to have the story unfold from the point of view of the antagonist. Although Sean Dillon and crew were in the story, the focus was on a new mastermind/assassin, Daniel Holley. I recommend reading Rough Justice and A Darker Place before reading "Wolf" because the the new members to Dillon's crew are introduced and the back story in "Wolf" is easier to follow. I look forward to finding out what happens to Daniel Holley in future novels.
Bruce
This is part of the Sean Dillon series. I have always loved this series, but Higgins is rejuvenating the series by bringing in some new characters over the last several books. The books are still enjoyable, but tend to not be as good as the older ones in the series. I am hoping that once Higgins gets past the development of these new characters he puts them all together for a "rip roaring" novel at the end. But we will see.
Amy Mcsharry
I didn't realize I was jumping into #17 of the series, which explains why there are a lot of characters with minimal character description, but I think once I get a little further in, they will start to separate out and I'll be okay...

The book turned out pretty good. A little slow in places, but I liked the writing style. I'd recommend it if you are looking for a fluff book to pass the time by the pool.
  • Warlord (Alexander Hawke, #6)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Santa Fe Edge (Ed Eagle, #4)
  • The Midnight House (John Wells, #4)
  • The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan, #16)
  • Who Dares Wins
  • The Archimedes Effect (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #10)
  • Mariposa
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini, #4)
  • Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)
  • Exit Wound (Nick Stone, #12)
  • Hellfire
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection
  • Day of Reckoning
  • Edge of Danger
  • Midnight Runner
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)