Start by marking “Yellow Flag” as Want to Read:

Yellow Flag

In any race, there are drivers. At the front of the pack, there are racers.

In the final laps, it's the racer who moves his car through the sweet spot, picks off the competition, and drives through a hole to win.

In Kyle's family, his older brother, Kris, has always been the racer, born and bred to it, like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather before him

Published June 30th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Flag

Mauro Garay
Apr 12, 2017 Mauro Garay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that the book Hit Count by Chris Lynch was a really good book. To begin, Hit Count is about two brothers, Lloyd and Arlo. Lloyd and Arlo always wanted to play together. There was a problem though; one of them had incident. The other brother Arlo plays football for his first year in High School. Since it was his first time playing for High School, he was scared to get hit. Lloyd didn't play because of his incident and concussion. The reason why I like this book is because it's really in ...more
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 Marya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-sports
If you like NASCAR and everything that goes with it: Good ol' southern boys drinkin', looking at women like hood ornaments, and living their entire lives in tiny family enclaves, then this is the book for you.

If, however, you are offended by statements like "Oh, the redheaded pit bunny? You can tap that ass; she comes with the car", then I would steer clear.
Adam
Personal Response
I think that this book was great because it is of my interest. I like fast cars and racing so I like this book a lot. The way kyle and his brother argued and how competative they are made it interesting, and Kyle still could play in the band.
Plot
Kyle and his brother Kris are part of the hildibrand racing family. Kris is the big racer but kyle doesn't really want to follow his familys path. Kyle wants to play in band at school with his trumpet but Kyles dad and the rest of his fa
Tristan
May 10, 2017 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characterization
The main character in this book is named Kyle. He likes to play the trumpet. His brother Kris is the family racer
Plot Summary
This book is about a kid named Kyle, and when his brother can't race he is forced to race. Kyle is trying to figure out if he wants to continue racing after his brother gets better. Or just keep the family race name on top.Until his brother recovers from his injury.
Personal Response.
I didn't particularly take to much interest in this book. I thought it k
Brock
Nov 04, 2015 Brock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jared
Dec 03, 2012 Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Yellow Flag

Yellow Flag by Robert Lipsyte is about a seventeen year old boy who likes to play the trumpet. He likes to be the quiet one in the family. The rest of his family races cars. His brother Kris is throne that usually races. But he gets hurt, so Kyle has to skip out on some music to help his family win the race.

If I had to compare this book to another book, I would compare it to any other sport book. It has a good flow to it, there not a part that is too boring there is always action
Joe D
Oct 21, 2014 Joe D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Yellow Flag by Robert Lipyste is about a high school student named Kyle, who plays the trumpet but he feels like his family keeps pushing him to follow in their footsteps as a racecar driver. In the story Kyle’s Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad used to race and now his brother does. His brother, kris, got in a bad accident while racing and got a concussion. Kyle is forced to race in Kris’s position and he enjoys it. So he has to decide between his musical life or his racing life.
I thou
Gilbertm
Feb 04, 2010 Gilbertm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would classifia this book under non-fiction. This book has real sonerios, and events. The main charactors Chris, and Kyle are very well described. CHris has a evil tone, well Kyle has a soft delicet tone.
The plot was great, alot of forshadowing of the middle and end. The end was quite suprising. I didnt think Klye was going to chose the path that he did.
Chris,who is older than Kyle,gets in a horrible accedent well racing his stock car. Klye left racing all together at age 10. With Cris in ou
Brandt W
Jan 17, 2014 Brandt W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
summary- In the book Yellow Flag Kris gets a head injury and he cant race. His younger brother Kyle has to skip band stuff for racing. At first Kyle was only going to fill in for one race but it turned out to be about 3 or 4 races. After a while Kyle started to like racing again and at the end he decided to quit band and go back to racing.

setting- Hildebrand Hill

main characters- Kris- teen, races NASCAR, no girlfriend, Kyle's older brother.
Kyle- teen, races NASCAR, has a girlfriend,likes to pl
Alex W
Sep 18, 2013 Alex W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Yello Flag, Kyle has to make a choice weather or not he wants to do one thing or the other. His parents are just like him. His dad loves to race and his mom is into music. Kyle ends up helping in his brothers pit crew. Kyle has to talk to sponsors for his brother and Kris really depends on his brother for these moments.

Kyle is a musician for his school, but he is also is apart of his brothers pit crew. His peers all know that he has to do one thing or the other and they are really getting on
Justin Hill
YELLOW FLAG is one of Robert Lipsyte’s best novels if you are to ask me. It this book is on something all teenagers can identify with making choices. The main character, Kyle is forced to take the role of his brother and race. his brother was injured after a win by over a bitter rival. girl of his dreams, the gig of his life, and between following in his family’s footsteps, and another girl of his dreams. The story continues when Kris doesn’t recover in time to race, so Kyle chooses to race for ...more
Cameron
The authors purpose of writing this book is to entertain the readers. The author tells the story of a boy who has to make a hard decision to entertain the reader . The readers would be someone who likes NASCAR or other types of racing.

The theme of the book is to follow your dreams and make sure they are your dreams. The author showed this theme by having the main character Kyle choose between playing the trumpet and racing.

The book was written as a description. It is a description because the au
Brady Pettit
In this book the main character, Kyle Hildebrand is an amazing trumpet player and a little brother to his talented big brother Kris. Kris is a talented racer who gets in a serious wreck and suffers a concussion. He is unable to be behind the wheel. He recruits his brother to keep the seat warm in his car while he can not drive it. His brother places fourth in his race, surprising everyone. He is unable to chose between the race life or the band life.

I liked this book, a lot. It is a very intere
Highsider57
May 22, 2015 Highsider57 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Hildebrand is a seventeen year old boy who loves racing as much as I do. I enjoyed this book because it relates to me because I'm very into racing. His dream which is the same as any other races. Is to drive for someone else for free. His dream comes true as he works very hard and stays upfront as people notice him more and more until he finally gets asked to drive for someone. He gets very stressed as he runs into problems with his family and issues as to what he want to do in life as he g ...more
Demetrios
I chose this book because the cover looked cool. This book is about a 17-year-old boy named Kyle that is slowly sucked into his family’s business —Hildebrand Racing. While he is an avid trumpet player and would like to pursue music, his whole family wants him to become a driver for their crew. My favorite quote is, “I’ve been forced into my family’s life and obsession.” This is Kyle’s life in a nutshell. He is living someone else’s life, by a script written by his family.The writing style and p ...more
Joshbradley
i thought the book that i read was very good. i thought it was good because i like racing and thats what they are doing in this book the whole time. My opinion of this book to me is that they are racing and then theres this one time that the racer went off the track and flipped over and then the car started on fire and the guy was burned and then he had to go to the hospital. There are more things in this book like the racers go to the final race and there was fourty five drivers that were signe ...more
Trevor
Sep 14, 2007 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-racing
Five stars because a) I'm a total NASCAR mark. b) it's more than a "racing" book. Sheesh...it'd be like calling Chris Crutcher "a guy who writes sports books" to write Lipsyte's latest off as simply a "racing book" and deal it just one star. It's about a kid who is torn between the worlds of family obligations/expectations and doing what he thinks is the right thing to do...all the while trying to keep in mind that there's such a thing in the world as constructive selfishness. I'm hoping for a s ...more
Dolores
3 and a 1/2 stars. I liked it better than I thought I would since racing is so not my thing. The book was really very readable and would be an excellent choice for reluctant readers or racing fans. I found the characters to be very likable and I wasn't too bored by the racing details. But this was the most unrealistic realistic fiction book I have ever read. It was almost silly. Still if you care enough to suspend belief, it is a pretty good read.
Nathan Buckley
Sep 13, 2015 Nathan Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle and Kris are opposite people. Kris is a racer like his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. Kyle is a player in an orchestra. Kyle has everything he ever wants, a place in a band and a girl. But when Kris gets hurt in a race, Kyle must fill the seat of his brother. He meets a girl in racing and he likes her. He must than decide to either race and be with Jimmie (girl) or go back to the band with Nicole.
Cody Maldonado
Nov 03, 2010 Cody Maldonado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read Yellow Flag, it kept my attention the whole time. It gave me grand details about characters and their lives. I felt as if I knew them and how they were feeling.
Kyle has to make a decision about what he wants to do with his life. He has to decide if he wants to be like the rest of his family and race, or find away out of that Hildabrand name, like his Uncle Ken. Through the journey he learns alot about his family and himself. And I felt I was with him the entire way to the end.
Hunter
Nov 01, 2010 Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like the book alot it my kinda of book. it was about raceing amateur nascar that mad it even better. it was about a family that races and one of there son drove and the other one play in a banda but was still good at race and his brother got in a crash so his dad whant him to take over. if you like raceing you should like this book ill let you read it to finda out the rest
Zach Tuthill
The book is about a guy named Kyle who's family is really into stock car racing. Kyle decided to do music instead of racing when he was younger. Then when Kyle's brother Kris got hurt then Kyle had to "keep his seat warm". Then later on in the book Kyle has to make a decision between racing and playing music.
5jithoo_nikhil
Jan 16, 2013 5jithoo_nikhil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kris is the racecar driver of the faily and was born to do that. His brother Kyle is a trumpet player in school not really the racer of the family. Kris ends up in a bad accident causeing his to break his leg. Kris had to decide weather he wants to race for his brother until he is better or if he will actually try and become a good racer....
G-rant Mo
I liked this book alot.It was actioned-packed, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Every chapter was unpredictable. This book was a great read for sports fans. I could almost picture what was going on during the book. I recommend this book to anyone who loves action-packed books!
Terri
May 09, 2010 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, nascar
Kyle is from a racing family and after his brother is injured in a wreck, he has to race again. Now he is torn bwteen his duty to his family, love of racing and love of the band in which he competes at school and his friends.

A pretty good read about how hard decision making can be.
Gucci Bandanna
Mar 18, 2009 Gucci Bandanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book for those who like nascar from back in the day.
Alex
Mar 14, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! A must read for any person who likes sports.
Lindsy
Jul 25, 2007 Lindsy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewbooks
only enjoyable if you like NASCAR...which I don't.
Jessica
An action packed book that the boys in your classroom would love.
Billy VanAmburgh
Nov 09, 2016 Billy VanAmburgh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good for anyone who likes sports specifically racing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Saturday Night Dirt (Motor, #1)
  • Night Hoops
  • The Real All Americans: The Team That Changed a Game, a People, a Nation
  • Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083
  • Cruise Control
  • Skate
  • What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • The Summer of Beer and Whiskey: How Brewers, Barkeeps, Rowdies, Immigrants, and a Wild Pennant Fight Made Baseball America's Game