Start by marking “The Uprooted” as Want to Read:
The Uprooted

The Uprooted

The Uprooted is a rare book, combining powerful feeling and long-time study to give us the shape and the feel of the immigrant experience rather than just the facts. It elucidates the hopes and the yearnings of the immigrants that propelled them out of their native environments to chance the hazards of the New World. It traces the profound imprint they made upon this world ...more
Paperback, Second Edition (enlarged), 333 pages
Published January 1st 1973 by Little, Brown & Company (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Uprooted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uprooted

Jason
Sep 13, 2009 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided I wanted to read something about the golden age of immigration. Having been born and raised in Southern California, I am already reasonably intimate with the details of the coyote, through the desert, Lou Dobbs style immigration. Rather, I wanted to learn a bit more about the Ellis Island, changed last names, Emma Lazarus era of immigration.

Much to my surprise, this is not a major area of historical inquiry. If you hunt around Amazon, you'll find a slew of books on the politics of con
Bobbi
May 10, 2012 Bobbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulitzer, nonfiction
This book was a real disappointment. It was the winner of the Pulitzer prize in 1952. My grandparents emigrated from Hungary around the turn of the last century so I was very excited to find a book that chronicled what it was like for the millions who did the same.

The author goes through what the European experience was like prior to the 1850s, with the population expanding and the search for land and food making it very difficult for the peasants, or small farmer, as we would call them. This p
Suzy
Oct 30, 2007 Suzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buff
Being the granddaughter of an immigrant, I found this book to be moving. Though it deals largely with immigrants coming to America that stayed in large cities, it does let you into the overall immigrant experience. Handlin is often criticized because he won the Pulitzer Prize for history for a book that has some sections that many historians view as “historical fiction” in that he could not provide sources for them. Regardless, this truly is a masterpiece that exposes the plight of immigrants co ...more
Suzan Pinciotti
Mar 13, 2012 Suzan Pinciotti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been great in helping me understand my family's background and adjustments made as immigrants to the US. A must have for genealogists who have family that immigrated in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Patrick
Apr 04, 2011 Patrick rated it liked it
3 main thing that I took away from this book is the person as an individual is inherently an American practice as a result of the immigrant experience and the replacing the past social order with a reliance on one skills in the present and ones ability to adapt to a dynamic and ever-changing society. In this way, I doubt any other country in the world can take the place of America in its innovative and entrepreneurial spirit and thus finding new industries from the air. Secondly, immigrants are ...more
Andrea
Well, shit. I picked up this book because my grandma died this year, and like most people faced with the sudden loss of a loved one, I had an immediate desire to know much more about the person who I no longer had the opportunity to ask. I would say it more than served that purpose.

Like many Americans my age, I took for granted that I had a grandparent or great-grandparent who had stepped off the boat around 1900 and went to work and here we are. I took for granted the infusion of Slovak languag
Miriam Borenstein
Oscar Handlin’s The Uprooted is not a historical treatment of immigration, but a historically informed sociological and psychological narrative based on the experiences of Europeans migrating to America in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It is poetically written—crafted to evoke emotion as much as to inform. Handlin writes that the story of the immigrant is a story of upheaval, tragedy, alienation, and the complete breakdown of traditional and family life from the Old World. The o ...more
Joyce
May 25, 2011 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at our immigrant ancestors---boy did they have it hard!

I found it fascinating to discover that "for a thousand years, the number of people on the continent had remained constant. . . Then in the 18th Century came a precipitous rise, unprecedented and, as it proved, cataclysmic. For a hundred years growth continued unabated, if anything at an accelerating rate. Between 1750 and 1850 the population of the continent leaped from about one hundred and forty million to about two
Hunter McCleary
What a grim book.
21 Disaster chained the peasant to his place.
23 Precipitous, unprecedented rise in population in the 18th century contributed to the Exodus of so many people.
45 The transatlantic passage mortality rate was ten percent.
101 The peasants who emigrated to American brought their established religions.
107 It was unthinkable not to be a member of a church.
107 A village religion was a matter of course conservative.
148 Emigrants to went to farms.
Erica
Jul 15, 2007 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading into the history of the mass emigrations to the New World that occurred in the 1800s to early 1900s. This book describes the typical lifestyle of those who emigrated, the shift in social and political environments in Europe that caused the mass exodus, the leaving of their homes and family, the travels to the New World, and what sort of environment they encountered once here.
Lauren
Mar 01, 2010 Lauren marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My cousin is a History professor/writer, so I asked him which book better grasps the concept of immigration to the New World and the struggles that came with it. He said this is the best introductory book. 333 pages...I have a feeling that if I actually chewed and swallowed the pages one by one, I'd get through it faster. But we'll see!
George King
Oct 01, 2013 George King rated it really liked it
Shelves: pultizer-hist
A very Interesting book that dispels any myths that the United States welcomed everyone with open arms.
This book complimented my reading the of The Beak of the Finch which explored the evolution of Animal life while this book explored the evolution of this country.
Caeser Pink
This book is really a fantasy narrative of what an immigrant in early America might have felt and experienced. It might have values to help you empathize with the immigrant experience, but for serious historic study of immigration, the book is pretty worthless.
David
Mar 16, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting insight on the mass immigrations from the 1850's to the 1920's. While the book includes select geneological information, the main focus lies with the immigrant experience and the rationale for the move from Europe. Very well written.
Stanley Mozden
Mar 21, 2014 Stanley Mozden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly pioneering work. The emphasis is on the early 20th Century immigrants. Why they came. From where they came. What did they bring. What did they find. A must read.
Doug
May 30, 2009 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressionistic-sociology is not the best combination. Handlin's heart is in the right place, however.
Naglerr
Nov 19, 2010 Naglerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about the migration of Europeans to America from the mid 1800's to World War I. Many of their experiences are strangely close to what the current undocumented experience today.
Marcy Skala
Jul 18, 2013 Marcy Skala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history

The power of the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Uprooted, has stayed with me for 40+ years.
Leigh Ann Wilson, Ph.D.
HIST 8980: Hawes; Thematic Studies; Fall 2005;

HIST 6702: US Since 1945: Sherman Fall 2005.
Pierre Corneille
Aug 03, 2008 Pierre Corneille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so maybe Handlin uses only a handful of facts, but at least his book is interesting and makes a contribution, which is more than can be said about most books about immigration.

Lucy
Jan 14, 2010 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far... Very interesting read!!
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2009
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2014
Curtis Paul
Curtis Paul rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Z. Taylor
Z. Taylor rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Manuel Bautista
Manuel Bautista rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Christian
Christian rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2012
Damla Finch
Damla Finch rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Natalie Balentine
Natalie Balentine rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Historical Legacy of The Uprooted 1 8 Sep 06, 2007 01:43PM
  • William Cooper's Town: Power and Persuasion on the Frontier of the Early American Republic
  • Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution
  • The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790