Start by marking “The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)

The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver #15)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  577 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
There was certainly a heavy air of intrigue and mystery emanating from the old inn high on the cliff top. The Catherine-Wheel had once been a home for pirates and smugglers, but now it looked like it was harbouring a murderer.

It began with an advertisement in the paper requesting descendants of the late innkeeper, Jeremiah Taverner, to stay for a weekend at the inn. They a
Published September 21st 2000 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Catherine Wheel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catherine Wheel

Sally
Sep 30, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I've now read 19 of the 32 Miss Silver mysteries. This is the 15th in the series. They are all pleasant cozy reads, with different plots and new personalities for Miss Silver to observe and analyze, but other than giving a synopsis of the plot, it is hard to give a meaningful review of each one. It does seem that each one has at least one really disagreeable character that either becomes the victim of murder or turns out to be the perpetrator, and in a way that makes them satisfying. Patricia We ...more
Steph
Oct 05, 2012 Steph rated it liked it
A bit on the fence about this, it is the first book I have read in the Maud Silver series. I enjoyed it more than not but less than I thought I would - if that makes sense. I have to say Miss Silver's habit of coughing before she said anything really grated on my nerves and it may not have irritated me so much if the author hadn't written a note at the start of the story mentioning it. Also the character of Maud Silver struck me as a little bit too much of a copy of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple ...more
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Old Jacob Taverner's father had many siblings, and now Jacob is gathering some of their descendants at the old smuggling inn--the Catherine Wheel--that's been in the family since the 19th century. He claims he's in search of an heir, but he keeps asking the diverse relatives--most of whom had never met each other before--what their grandparents told them about the Catherine Wheel, particularly about secret passages and rooms. Then the inn's bartender--a by-blow cousin, and an extremely unpleasan ...more
Sara
Feb 05, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars, really. Not as involving as some of her others, but pretty good! The usual Miss Silver/Frank Abbott amusements, a fun little love affair which turns out well, and a gaggle of eccentric descendants of a family of smugglers whose inn, the Catherine Wheel, was the center for this occupation in the past. The question is, is it the center for smuggling in the present day?
The inn is located on the old Ledlington coast road, but this is one of Wentworth's fictions, as the only Ledlingtons
Caron Allan
Apr 25, 2016 Caron Allan rated it it was ok
I'm a huge fan of Patricia Wentworth's books, and especially her Miss Silver books, but I really feel this is the weakest of her works, and not as engaging or as fresh or enjoyable as many of her other books.
Free download available at Faded Page.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver #15), Patricia Wentworth
Les Wilson
Nov 27, 2014 Les Wilson rated it it was amazing
Another good book by Patricia Wentworth.
Janette
May 14, 2016 Janette rated it it was ok
Unfortunately this was just boring.
Nikki
It's been a long time, but I remember enjoying the Miss Silver mysteries quite a lot and reading them compulsively. I don't do much rereading these days, but if I were in a lake cabin or a shore camp and found one of these, I'd be very happy. Recommended.
Amy
Aug 23, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Great British mystery a la Agatha Christie. Wentworth is an expert at atmosphere. Quick read and enjoyable.
Craig
Oct 28, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
More cozies. This series (Miss Silver) mostly from the 50s. Not quite 4 stars, but better than most 3s.
JoyfulK
Jun 22, 2011 JoyfulK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans, especially fans of the British cozy
Good staycation reading!
Vestmentartist
Vestmentartist rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Samantha Betrus
Samantha Betrus rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Natascha
Natascha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Linda Jaeckh
Linda Jaeckh rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Carol Byrne
Carol Byrne rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Helen
Helen is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Drfranni
Drfranni rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Mary M.
Mary M. rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Jennifer O'Hara
Jennifer O'Hara marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
Agent Philo
Agent Philo rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Roberta
Roberta rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Priyanka Dutta
Priyanka Dutta rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
  • The Beckoning Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #15)
  • Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn, #16)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)