Start by marking “Through the Wall (Miss Silver, #19)” as Want to Read:
Through the Wall (Miss Silver, #19)

Through the Wall (Miss Silver #19)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Most of Marion's relations would prefer her dead, and one of them will not stop at murder ... Classic crime in stunning new packaging.
Paperback
Published March 19th 1998 by Not Avail (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Wall

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Books of the Decade: 1950's
294th out of 649 books — 827 voters
1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Stranger by Albert Camus
Best Books of the Decade: 1940's
325th out of 437 books — 666 voters

More lists with this book...

Starry
Dec 07, 2011 Starry rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
If you enjoy reading mystery novels of the "cozy" genre, like those by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh, you'll love this book. But to me, this novel, published in 1950, exemplifies everything I dislike about the cozy genre.

Things I dislike about the cozy genre of mystery novels (with apologies to the many people who enjoy these books):

1. It's actually a romance novel -- though a very prim romance novel -- disguised as a mystery. (Note: if my library copy had come with the cover shown above, I p
Sally
Sep 30, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Number 19 out of 32 Miss Silver mysteries, this one has a rather unique setting of a house with duplicate wings, joined together by a door on each level of the house that is locked on one side and bolted on the other (a little like those doors in hotels/motels which can be opened if two rooms are to be used as a suite). Once again Patricia Wentworth has created characters that you like and characters that you don't like. Blackmail comes into this one, as it does in many in this series, but the w ...more
Sep
Jun 17, 2015 Sep rated it it was amazing
A fairly twisty mystery embedded with red herrings. Hard working Marian Brand is the sole heir to her late uncle's estate. There is a lot of money 1950 style (2000 pounds a year!) and a house. The house used to be two houses and was neatly joined years before. By the locking of a few doors, it has again become two houses.

Sadly, all of the other possible and disappointed heirs are in one half. Marian, her sister and her sister's lazy husband move into the other one, but who to trust? Fortunately
Karoline
Jan 20, 2015 Karoline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Nice little cozy. The series gets predictable and certain characters and situations are very dated, but the predictability is soothing and the writing has a charm that you rarely find in contemporary books.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Through the Wall (Miss Silver #19), Patricia Wentworth
Joy
Aug 14, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Marian was barely making it through life, but her sense of responsibility recommended her to an unknown uncle who left her his fortune. He also left her his malicious, resentful relatives. Marian and her sister find themselves living cheek-by-jowl with at least one murderer. The setting of THROUGH THE WALL reminded me of a cross between OUT OF THE PAST and LADIES' BANE, but a very different jumble of cast members.
Sydney
Jan 22, 2016 Sydney rated it really liked it
Another good Patricia Wentworth (not a Miss Silver novel). While formulaic, she writes in the style/formula of Agatha Christie. Plot and all subplots satisfactorily resolved. We, Americans, like those happy endings! LOL. P. Wentworth keeps you guessing as to "who done it" til the end. The author starts revealing clues to help the reader put it together for a timely resolution.
Grey853
Jul 27, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I'm not sure why, but this is the first of the Silver novels I've read. It won't be my last. I found the characters quite engaging and well-drawn.

It was odd though that Maud Silver didn't show up until chapter 9 and wasn't seen again until 13. It was a very classical whodunit, with lots of characters with motives, and Maud Silver showing up to find out who's the real culprit.
Bronwen
Aug 09, 2007 Bronwen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes light english mysteries. The Miss Silver mysteries are in my home collection, and whenever I am feeling down I find her stories to be a help. Even though I may know "who done it" I enjoy her characters. In this book a poor young woman suddenly inherits a home and a fortune and a pack of jealous relatives.
CLM
Nov 12, 2007 CLM rated it it was amazing
When Marian unexpectedly comes into an inheritance and moves into the home of her recently deceased uncle, she find that danger awaits her - perhaps from one of her newly found relatives. Luckily, she has made a new friend who seems to be trustworthy, a writer named Richard Cunningham and he asks Miss Silver to get involved.
Denise
Dec 11, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: mystery
This is the 6th or 7th of the Miss Silver series that I have read, and the first where I couldn't guess who-done-it! Her writing style is drifting away from Agatha Christy (mystery mystery) to more of a Victoria Holt style (gothic mystery).
Theresa
Oct 23, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it
A young woman inherits a home and a family that she never knew from an uncle she had never met. With that family came a mystery that only Miss Silver could solve. Another great mystery from Wentworth. One you can cozy up with and enjoy.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Well, contrary to the cover's apparent representation, this was a very quick mystery with very little male/female relationship focus. Along the lines of Agatha Christie, only not quite as interesting or unexpected. Enjoyed though!
Ellie
Feb 13, 2012 Ellie rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
i'm reading all of wentworth's 50 or so mysteries; many are from various libraries. there is a likeable crime-solver, usually a romance, and a surprise perpetrator
Carol
Jul 20, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
A train crash starts a chain of events that leads to murder and attempted murder. This one had more of Miss Silver being in the action which was good.
Pat
Oct 31, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A nice mystery. I love the little details throughout the story, such as a bumblebee flying in the window then out again.
May 11, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than the first one of her books I read. A good mystery after the manner of Agatha Christie.
Elizabeth S
Jul 19, 2013 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Classic Wentworth. Not worth doing a review because most of her books are alike. Like one, like them all.
Darcy
Mar 01, 2009 Darcy rated it really liked it
Awesome Miss Silver mystery with a plot and main character to enjoy.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two lovely romances running through this one. Beautiful ending.
Anna
Jan 20, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
A lovely suspenseful mystery with an extra bonus romance.
Rachel Piper
Apr 16, 2011 Rachel Piper rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, own
One of my favorite Wentworths so far.
Adela
Adela marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Klaudia
Klaudia rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Nancy H
Nancy H marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Carol Harlow
Carol Harlow rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Lucy Parat
Lucy Parat rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Linda Inglis
Linda Inglis rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • The China Governess (Albert Campion Mystery #17)
  • The Breaking Point
  • The Night She Died
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • The Death of Amelia Marsh (A Sally Nimitz Mystery, #1)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • The Mystery of Hurtleberry House (The Reboot Files #1)
  • Fudge-Laced Felonies (Summer Meadows Mystery #1)
  • Happy Are the Poor in Spirit (Blackie Ryan, #6)
  • Murder Unprompted
  • Granny Skewers A Scoundrel (Fuchsia, Minnesota, #3)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)