Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)

Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,057 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Johanna Brady, young widow, devoted mom, and Sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona, is a tough cop who gives no ground to lawbreakers. But now she's dealing with some big-time political maneuvering that could let someone get away with murder.

When an elderly widow is found dead in the Arizona desert, it's easy enough to pin the killing on the teens caught driving her car acro...more
Published (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw Mountain

Bookmom
If there was an easy straight-forward answer to the guilty party we wouldn’t have much of a story. But as with all of the books in this series, the path to the truth leads Sheriff Joanna Brady and her understaffed/overworked department in a number of directions and it’s interesting to see how the various threads get us there. This is made more difficult as the know-it-all newly elected Sheriff of Pima County doesn’t want to cooperate with Cochise County’s Sheriff’s department regarding the death...more
Barbara
In this seventh book in the series Sheriff Joanna Brady investigates the death of Alice Rogers, a wealthy older woman gruesomely murdered in the Arizona desert. Alice's self-absorbed, arrogant son and belligerent daughter direct suspicion at Alice's boyfriend Farley Adams - who soon makes himself scarce. At the same time Joanna has to contend with rabid environmentalists who oppose a building project whose approval may have involved some chicanery and corruption. To add to the chaos Joanna inadv...more
Ed
#7 in the Joanna Brady series. Joanna is the sheriff of Cochise County, AZ, a position she had held since the murder of her husband, the previous sheriff, that started the series. At the 1999 publishing of this novel, prolific author J.A. Jance also had a 14 entry series featuring Seattle detective J.P. Beaumont. Recommended especially for fans of other contemporary rural SW sheriff series.

Joanna Brady series - When an elderly but free-spirited widow is cruelly murdered and her body left in the...more
Eric_W
Beth
I've read a few of Jance's books now, and none of them are really impressing me. The plots are the strongest aspect, and of course, that's usually why one reads mysteries. But I appreciate well-written dialogue and good character development, too, and she doesn't always achieve those. This particular book in the Brady series bugged me because she was attempting to show her awareness of how people with developmental disabilities are treated (using a minor character in the book) and along the way...more
Sheila
Joanna Brady is a recurring character is J.A. Jance's books. She is a sheriff and single mother in a small Arizona town. In this episode, a woman, Alice, is reported missing after having supper with her daughter and husband. The woman's son is the mayor of a local town. The daughter and son constantly fight and are suspects when Joanna discovers the missing woman is quite well off. The boyfriend, who is younger than the missing woman disappears after the police pay him a visit which makes his ac...more
Sai Johnson
I really like Joanna's personality, and the way that she dealt with things so gracefully throughout the story. I think Ms. Jance has a creative mind, and I flew through the book as a result. She has a great way of attaching a hook, and the start of the story was gripping.
Richard Brand
I like it. I know it is a little too pat, a little too pollyanna, a little too happy ending to every crisis. Brady is a little too good to be believed, and life for them seems to find solutions to problems pretty quickly and smoothly, but it was a good read. There were some surprises in the plot. The mystery had a number of different story lines that moved along. There was romance and love. There were some tough decisions and unhappiness. There were a number of deaths and evil and criminal activ...more
Dolores
I've always liked JA Jance's books. This one takes place Cochise County in Arizona. Sheriff Joanna Brady is busy with a missing person crime turned murder and has to work with the Pima County team of law enforcement when Alice Rogers, a 70 something lady, goes missing and later found murdered in the desert in Pima County. Meanwhile, Alice's daughter Susan Jenkin's goes to her mothers home in Cochise County to see if she's there and finds the home ransacked.

This is one really good book. I like Ja...more
Jill
Aug 25, 2014 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ja jance, joanna brady series, mystery
I thought this book was just okay. I think that it is helpful to read this series in order. Then you are not going back and forth- current to past
Eileen
pretty good! but not everything was answered and that always makes me sad. I need answers people!!!
Sheila
This is # 7 in the Sheriff Joanna Brady series. In this book she finds herself chasing down the secrets of the family of an elderly widow who is found dead in the desert impaled on a cactus. She is concurrently involved in a local land dispute (graft and corruption) and trying to hold her personal life together.

The old lady collecting rattlesnakes in her car trunk to sell them to supplement her social security was a favorite scene for me. Never a dull moment for Sheriff Brady in Cochise County,...more
Kay
good book. love the ongoing character development. looking forward to rest of series.
I think this was the best one yet. I have read almost all of this series (of coarse it was out of order) I started with the newest ones and fell in love with Joanna Brady and I had to return to the beginning and see how it all went down for myself . I am now starting the Devils Claw , I have one more after that . The new one comes out in July and I hope to be ready for it and I just found out about the novella by Butch and Judy . I recommend this series and The Ali Reynolds series also. I love t...more
Jeannie Strubinger
Another great Sheriff Joanna Brady book
Karen
Fast paced with enjoyable characters.
Cindy Barnett
Liked the series until the middle books got too graphic for me. This one is back to the higher level. I read & audiobooked. Recommended. © text 1999/audio 2010 Reader C.J. Critt does a good job.
Tulara
Good read - looking for more!!!
John
I've enjoyed watching the Joanna Brady character grow with each book in this series. I'm glad to see she's getting on with her life, and that the other characters in the books are growing too. I was particularily pleased by the changes in Joanna's minister friend, and by the strong relationship Joanna is building with Butch. I recommend this book, but suggest that readers new to the series start with Desert Heat and read through the books chronologically. It's more fun that way to see the change...more
Betty410
Joanna Brady the sheriff in Arizona, finds herself chasing down the secrets of the family of an elderly widow who is found dead in the desert. She is concurrently involved in a local land dispute (graft and corruption) and trying to hold her personal life together. Sheriff Brady has an uncanny sensitivity to people and manages to diffuse impossible situations with practical common sense.
In the middle of all this she has set a marriage date with the approval of her daughter, Jenny.
Stacey
The Joanna Brady books are really growing on me. I've read almost all of the JP Beaumont series and I've really enjoyed them and I wasn't overly impressed with the the first couple of books but the series and the likeable characters are becoming familiar and fun to read.

This book was a good story with just enough of a twist but still a little predictable. Maybe it's the little love story between Joanna and Butch, I don't know. I just found myself smiling a lot during my reading.
Sandra Strange
Good series set in the country area where my daughter, Jana, lives. I like the characterization and the ideals. The mysteries are good puzzles, realistic, with a hint of jeopardy and adventure. They are for mature readers, with some language and frankness about feelings and sexuality (very tasteful and not usually explicit). This novel begins when a feisty oldster falls into a horrific cactus. Then, as she lies writhing on the ground, an evil villain kills her.
Marti
this book is one of a series about Sheriff Joanna Brady, and i'm sure that i read another one before. they are pleasant books, if you can say that about ones that deal with murder. the characters are interesting as is the setting, since i've never been to the southwest.

the chattanooga times especially praises j.a. jance sayint that she "is among the best--if not the best--mystery novelists writing today." i think there are others just as good, but she is not bad.
Sonia
I've been reading this series and have enjoyed it. It's good reading.
Jenn
I love Joanna Brady. The navigates her way through being Sheriff, Mom, daughter and friend. In this story she is surrounded by liars, druggies, murderers, etc. She feels overwhelmed with it all but by her side is Butch who proposes to her over the phone between crime scenes. She agrees most ungraciously but decides she is happy and does want to marry him. Happily her family is happy for her and very supportive.
Barbara
These are good stories. They are more about people than the mystery.

The author is moving Joanna's romance too fast for my liking given the snail's pace of everything else. It seems like Joanna hardly knows Butch. There has been so little detail about their relationship. Compare to what we know about Joanna and her mother.

Pst Joanna - you are starting to over work Frank Montoya!
Nancy
An evil son-in-law, drugs, spousal cheating and greed try to overshadow kind acceptance of an abandoned special needs man, love family and friendship. Joanna tells off her mother and declares she will marry Butch. Dick resigns from the sheriff's office.

Lots of Sierra Vista settings, an area I'm very familiar with. I really liked this 7th book in the Joanna Brady series.
Jacqueline
I have read most Jance books and often feel the same about them: the stories are pretty good and keep my interest, but Jance is not a very good writer. Having read a lot of light fiction, I feel I have read a lot of comparable genre authors and feel that Jance's prose just doesn't flow. I keep reading though, and I guess that is the most important thing to authors.
Diane
This is throne where Joanna and Butch get engaged. There are several intertwined mysteries and a completely separate subplot, plus the personal stories of the continuing characters. A lot of the message seemed to deal with hoe society treats the vulnerability of the elderly, and the developmently disabled. I read an ebook version which had lots of annoying typos.
Marca
Another Joanna Brady story. This time Joanna finds herself in the middle of an unplesant family murder (the murder and the family are both unpleasant). This is the story where Junior joins the storyline and where Joanna and Butch become engaged. BTW, is there an actual Butch out there anywhere? I'd sure like to meet him - the man is a saint.
  • Hunting Badger (Navajo Mysteries, #14)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann...more
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)