Start by marking “Kate Greenaway Mother” as Want to Read:
Kate Greenaway Mother

Kate Greenaway

Kate Greenaway Mother

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Kate Greenaway (1846-1901) was one of the most popular British book illustrators of the Victorian era. A contemporary of Randolph Caldecott and Walter Crane, she attracted a wide audience in the United States and England, and many of her books were even translated into German and French.
One of Greenaway's early successes was Mother Goose, or the Old Nursery Rhymes, first

Hardcover, 1 page
Published March 30th 1988 by Dial Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Kate Greenaway Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate Greenaway Mother

Lara's
Nov 01, 2008 Lara's rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and children 4-9 years old.
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : Various collection of Mother Goose poetry paired with beautiful, watercolor illustrations.
Review : This is a small book that I'm not so certain will "stand up to the abuse from young readers" as Publishers Weekly claims (see below). However, when you set out looking for a Mother Goose book, these are the epitome of what I consider Mother Goose illustrations. Kate Greenaway's work is so lovely you could easliy take each image and frame it. Paired with the some of the classic, rough t
Melissa Coyle
Kate Greenaway's charming illustrations are delightful now as they were in the late eighteen hundreds. And it is always fun to reread Mother Goose's nursery rhymes.
Darcy
Feb 08, 2013 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Greenway's drawings are lovely. The color scheme is muted, yet the compositions are lively. I particularly like the Regency clothing in these illustrations.
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 04, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose book, originally published in 1881, includes most of the best-loved nursery rhymes illustrated in beautiful watercolor paintings. Their mood is gently romantic, rather than playful like DePaola's Tomie's Mother Goose Flies Again and Opie's The Very Best of Mother Goose Mother Goose collections. For parents who want to introduce a little "real" art to their young children, this could be a very nice fit. It's also available in a three-volume board book format.
Allison
Sep 25, 2011 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
This is a lovely reprint of the 1881 edition and is illustrated with typical Victorian charm. There were many rhymes in this collection that I wasn't previously aware of and many others that were shorter and/or different than I remember. I really believe that it is important to foster a love of poetry starting from an early age and Mother Goose rhymes are an easy way to do that. This collection has short ones that will be fairly easy for children to remember and appreciate. Poetry also gives chi ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Pretty little thing -- many of the nursery rhymes are slightly different than the ones I know.
Marie
Apr 13, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice to brighten the day.
Wetdryvac
Jun 29, 2015 Wetdryvac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely entertainment from my youth.
Casey
Apr 03, 2013 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-childrens
I don't recommend getting the Kindle version of this book. It isn't formatted correctly and it made me sad to see it wrecked. Also some of the words are missing.
Robyn
Dec 13, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read with little sister as part of the "1,001 Children's Books To Read")

The illustrations were so beautiful and all Jane Austen-looking. Very enjoyable.
Emily
Marigold Garden was better, although I enjoyed the illustrations. I didn't like the abbreviated (shortened) nursery rhymes.
Beth
May 02, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something about Greenaway's artwork reminds me of Holly Hobbie greeting cards, which would come out many years later.
Cherene
Once again, good literature, strong rhymes. And my child could not have been more bored hearing them.
Jessica Bravo
Old-fashioned but sweet. Read for 1001 children's books to read before you grow up.
Dottie
Oct 22, 2007 Dottie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya, own
The classic, old-fashioned Greenaway illustrations of MG are among my favorites.
Cws
Aug 13, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: bb
BB-Gre delightful Mother Goose Rhymes some of the older Rymes
Tammy
May 11, 2013 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mother Goose rhymes can be quite cruel. Quaint illustrations!
Steve Shilstone
May 28, 2013 Steve Shilstone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Greenaway illustrations. What more can you ask for?
Tanya
The illustrations were charming. Enjoyable.
Mico
Mico rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Bettina
Bettina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Juli Camarillo
Juli Camarillo rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Ayoayox
Ayoayox marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Rachel Barish
Rachel Barish marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Susan / Dan
Susan / Dan rated it liked it
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Merav Hoffman
Merav Hoffman marked it as to-read
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Barbapapa
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • Avocado Baby
  • Crocodile Beat
  • Madlenka
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Clown
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
Kate Greenaway (Catherine Greenaway) (1846-1901) was a children's book illustrator and writer. Her first book, Under the Window (1879), a collection of simple, perfectly idyllic verses concerning children who endlessly gathered posies, untouched by the Industrial Revolution, was a best-seller. The Kate Greenaway Medal, established in her honour in 1955, is awarded annually by the Chartered Institu ...more
More about Kate Greenaway...