Start by marking “Barack Like Me: The Chocolate-Covered Truth” as Want to Read:
Barack Like Me: The Chocolate-Covered Truth

Barack Like Me: The Chocolate-Covered Truth

FROM GROWING UP IN DETROIT, where he marched as a ten-year-old with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., to attending the inauguration of President Barack Obama, where he narrowly avoided the Purple Tunnel of Doom but still saw nothing, David Alan Grier examines how he -- and America -- have changed for the better and the funnier.

Within these pages, Grier imagines being called to s
Published October 6th 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Barack Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barack Like Me

This book was so funny. I was in tears for most of the book. The Dancing With The Stars portion of the book had me out of breath because I was laughing so hard. If you have a chance to read this book please do.
David Alan Grier might be best known as a cast member of a little indie television show called "In Living Color," but don't expect to get any background or dirt on the show from this book. Grier focuses his attention on aspects of the Barack Obama campaign and election, most specifically on obtaining tickets to the inauguration and attending the swearing-in ceremony.

I think this book could hold a lot of meaning for some people, as he describes why the election of an African-American to the high
Jan 28, 2010 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it about comedians with three names and being funny? David Alan Grier, much like Michael Ian Black, is a funny guy. (He even refers to himself as DAG; take that MIB.)

You might remember DAG mainly from the TV show In Living Color. DAG was one of the funnier, more talented members. I somewhat lost track of DAG since those days. DAG, I imagine, has kept his comedic hands busy with projects here and there.

He even wrote a book. In "Barack Like Me", DAG weaves humor and sincerity into his expe
Jan 17, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first picked this book up about 2 years ago when it caught my eye while I was looking for another book in my library. I got through the first two chapters and then just stopped for no reason. So the other day when I saw the audiobook while looking for something else in my library, I picked it up and listened to it.

Not a great book, but I think it was made a bit more interesting when read by the author. Of course, that means all the cursing (and there is a healthy dose of that) is yelled at you
Entertaining, quick read. Fans of David Alan Grier and In Living Color will enjoy.
Audrey Jenkins
Feb 14, 2016 Audrey Jenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The funniest memoir I've read!
Dec 18, 2010 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I enjoyed listening to David Alan Grier perform his work. At times I really enjoyed Grier's reflection on the events surrounding the election of Barack Obama through his own personal history. Funny as some of it was, he definitely lost me on the last disk as he detailed his stint on Dancing With the Stars. I didn't find this to connect at all to the previous content and it sort of left me hanging. The final connection to the title was weak and unenlightening and would have been better ...more
Feb 12, 2013 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
VERY surprised at how many people liked this book. For the reasons I hated it...
Mar 03, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Hillarious! DAG's DWTS chapters made me laugh pretty hard. In fact, myself not being a fan of DWTS, DAG pretty much said everything I have ever felt about the judges. Good read.
Tamara Evans
This book provided a good combination of humor and personal stories from David Alan Grier's childhood. All in all, it was a decent read but not a book I'd read again.
i really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book. took me back to the heady days of the obama election. Not as funny as I expected it to be, but way more moving
Amanda Ryan
Mar 03, 2010 Amanda Ryan rated it really liked it
Just finshed this memoir of one of my favorite actor/comedian/dancers of all time. Gotta love DAG.
Oct 19, 2009 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irreverent. Funny with salient points. I could have done without all the swearing.
This guy has the worse luck he's like a F. Scott Fitzgerald character but black...ish
Christine Granados
Hilarious. Grier can write. I always forget that comedians are writers too.
David Alan Grier is underrated--this book demonstrates why.
Chase Parsley
Jun 08, 2013 Chase Parsley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love DAG but man, this book was awful! Supremely disappointing...
Joseph Roach
May 21, 2016 Joseph Roach rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
sucked. Started out funny, but then not worth the time.
Dec 31, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-read
DAG is the hit in the fan! Both poignant and hilarious.
Jul 26, 2010 Neely added it
the book is great. very political. if one is into politics and propoganda stuff, it would be a hoot. but i love him, so it was cool.
Debra Battle
Jun 05, 2011 Debra Battle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirk Mills
Kirk Mills marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Michelle Combate
Michelle Combate rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Letricia Brooks
Letricia Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Sara Hopewell
Sara Hopewell rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Jennifer Gifford
Jennifer Gifford rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Jen Powers
Jen Powers marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Jason Bass
Jason Bass marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015