Start by marking “Another City Not my Own” as Want to Read:
Another City Not my Own

Dominick Dunne

Another City Not my Own

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  783 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Dominick Dunne was a ringside witness to the O.J. Simpson criminal trial, about which he wrote extensively for Vanity Fair magazine. In Another City, Not My Own, he revisits the case, this time in fictional form. In this "novel in the form of a memoir," Dunne's fiction skates perilously close to fact in most instances. O.J., Marcia Clark, Johnnie Cochran, and a whole host...more
Published (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Another City Not my Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another City Not my Own

Tara
Oct 19, 2008 Tara rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I was not impressed by this book at all wherein the fictional alter-ego of the author covers every sordid, over reported instant of the O.J. Simpson trial. His narrator's commentaray which is peppered with, "I would have him/her say this in my book" not only stretches the line between fact and fiction to it's limit, but is also an annoying device. I wish he had just wrote the book from the character's point of view and not his narrator's own. If you lived through the trial, don't waste your time...more
Kerry Kenney
If you can call something as barbarian as being glued to the OJ Simpson Trial a guilty pleasure, well, that was me. Granted, I had a full time job so I wasn't glue-glued, but I surely read everything I could get my hands on about the trail and the personalities involved. Dominck Dunne is a shameless namedropper. I like this book very much. It definitely scratched an itch for me.
christa
Dominick, Dominick, Dominick. (Shakes head and sighs). What a piece of work.

Here is the precise formula my new bestie used to write his late-1990s Anti-Ode to OJ Simpson, the novel-ish memoir Another City Not My Own:

Excerpt from "Vanity Fair" editorial on the trial.
Scene in which Dominick Dunne, wearing the name of journalist Gus Bailey for the purposes of this piece, is conversing with someone along the lines of Nancy Reagan or Heidi Fleiss at a fancy schmancy Los Angeles eatery.
Said famous...more
J. Walker
There are few, if any, characters here – the book is populated with fabricants upon which he hangs famous names, lots of them. He is a ruthless namedropper – but I like him that way. It's certainly a Hollywierd tell-all, but not much else. I'm sure it was cathartic for him to write, and exorcise multiple demons at once, but the manuscript falls into the 'Bob Evans trap': If you don't know who he is by the time he shows up, Mr. Dunne/Baily would have long lost you.

I was along for the ride from st...more
Chamie
Great to listen to, love the dish! Now I have to read the Nicole Brown Simpson book.
Nancy Gay
I feel like some kind of dog reading this lurid and nosy parker book, and the subject matter done to death is the OJ Simpson trial. HOwever, Dunne has a way of endearing himself to his readers even when he is neglecting his family, especially when his own son goes missing in the middle of the OJ trial. Of course, being on the side of the angels in this one, helps his image, but he is obsesesed with the whole thing to an unhealthy extent..oh hdear I keep forgetting to say GUS BAILEY is obsessesed...more
Oolookitty
As a fan of Dunne's "Vanity Fair" writings, I was looking forward to reading this book about the O.J. Simpson trial. However, this book is so badly written and so vapid that it offers nothing of literary or journalistic value. Dunne has no insights into the trial or into Simpson other than musing about his flat, angry stare. Written in a breathless "I went to dinner with Nancy Reagan and then I talked about O.J. to Princess Diana and then I saw Madonna and she said hi to me" kind of prose, this...more
David Michael Slater
I normally make a concerted effort to avoid paying attention to any "trials of the century." But the combination of the OJ saga being in the news again and my finding the book on tape for a buck compelled me to pick it up. Don't think I got anything out of the poorly written, awkwardly sub-titled work ("A Novel in the form of a Memoir)--other than the guilty pleasure of being disgusted by all the name-dropping and a glimpse into overprivileged lives, not my own.
Lara
Written by Gus/Dominic Dunne about the social life around the OJ Simpson trial. Very guilty pleasure. Read in practically one-fell swoop. Gossip heaven. The narrator who I assume is actually Dunne lives by gossiping to the rich & famous, actually singing for his supper every night at a different dinner party. His son goes missing in the wilderness for 5 days thought dead, and when he is found Gus immediately goes back to his nightly celebrity dinners, saying to his son - we must talk about w...more
Sherrie Gingery
Dunne is able to pull off a fictionalized version of the O.J. Simpson trial. As in his other novels, he does this by portraying himself as a fictional character in the context of real life events. In Another City you can't help but taste Dunne's disgust and angst over Simpson's acquittal.

Like everyone else in the U.S. I, too, was wrapped up with the infamous white Bronco chase, the defense team's court room theatrics, and Mark Furhman's racist comments, but, over the years, I had forgotten how...more
Mary
Eh. I really liked several other Dominick Dunne books and adored his Court TV series, but this book just left me unimpressed and irritated with the ending. I suppose I should have done some research on this one, but I was in the bookstore and saw it on the shelf and had to have. THis was really hard to get through, what with all the name dropping. Also, the dialogue in this was just a little flimsy. I was really hoping for more. As other reviewers said, the "I will put this in my novel" or the V...more
Mary Frances
I found this really aggravating. Dunne wrote this strange little gossipy book in which he names himself something else but otherwise uses real names, drops a million names, etc. Buried under the sycophantic reverence for the famous and rich there's a commentary on OJ and the way his fame and race led to the jury decision, Ito's poor management of the case, the DAs mistakes, etc. but the book seems almost a parody of itself. It was one of those Amazon loss leaders on sale for Kindle, and just con...more
Patricia
The fictionalized account of Dunne's own coverage of the OJ Simpson trial. Fascinating in hindsight, and a great beach read.
Rebekah
Cleverly written as a memoir, it was an engaging novel. With Dunne's "fiction," it's always so hard to know what is real and what he wishes was real. Because of the topic of this novel--the debacle of the OJ Simpson criminal trial for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman--and my personal feelings and expierences during the trial, I prefer to believe most of it this time. I only wish that Dunne would have lived long enough to see Simpson finally convicted of something.
Ashley
I LOVED This book! Being one of the people that followed the trial literally from start to finish, reading this unique take on it was really enjoyable.. Dominick Dunne is a fantastic writer! He was able to bend the very much true story that he told enough to make it fiction as well as being able to weave the story of his own daughter's murder into the plot making it even more captivating... The ending was jaw dropping! He's definitely a writer that I will be reading more of in the future.
Loreen
This book is a 360 page ad for the author's work. He is also a big name dropper. If I knew half of the people he references, I would maybe be more impressed. Then again, maybe not. Some pages are just lists of famous people he knows, insider gossip and society events surrounding the trial. The way he talks about himself in third person is a little disconcerting. I don't know if I'll learn anything more about this trial but I am having fun psyching out this author.
Susan
Really, was there a plot buried underneath all the name-dropping? And the name-dropping as well of their fictitious names in his other novels. Seriously, I didn't think I'd make it through, but I persevered.
Sera
Dunne wrote this book after the OJ trial in California. He provides an interesting look at life in Hollywood, murder and the justice system. It always amazes me how Dunne gets away with writing these books based on real life people and that people still talk to him and invite him to their parties. One never knows what he is going to disclose next, which is one reason why I really enjoy his books.
Kevin
I read this because it was the only book I could find that week. It actually really sucks.

Just hundreds of pages of boring pretentious dialog about the OJ trial. Makes you want to puke.

The only quasi redeeming factor was his descriptions of Hollywood landmarks, which were too brief and too far between.

This book is better suited to going under the short leg of a dresser than being read.
Meaghan Dawson
I got this from the library in a fit of "I'll take anything" and haven't been truly impressed yet. It's about the OJ Simpson trial in the 90's and I feel I might have enjoyed it more back then, but it is somewhat out-of-date now. I still pick it up from time to time, but it's not holding my iterest and definitely need something new to read!
Alex Lewis
I've read 10%. Thus far this is a list of people who I've never heard of, people who for the most part had fame in the 90s based on inherited money. The OJ trial phenomenon is an interesting episode in America history, so I'll go up to 20%, but if it does not start to improve soon, I'm quitting. As of now 0 stars.
Sam
May 29, 2012 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dominick Dunne fans
My Memorial Day weekend read...I love Dominick Dunne. I remember the OJ Simpson case. I think the only fiction in this book may have been the ending...everything else seemed true to the case and Dunne's life. I could not put this book down. It felt timeless even though it was written a while ago. I liked this book!
Alex
Complete twisted lunacy. Pervasive name-dropping. Very little on the legalities of the case, but somehow oddly compelling. I'm not even sure the guy is a good writer. As a reminder of how weird the Simpson trial was, it is hard to imagine a better book. But I believe I will read Bugliosi's book next.
Marianne Jay
This book affected me .... it was crazy good and made me a Dominick Dunne fan for the rest of my life.

Like everyone else, I followed the OJ Simpson case with a vengance and although this is not "non-fiction" - it is based on the case.

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW....the ending will kick your butt.
Nicole
I was quite blown away by this memoir-that's-not-a-memoir-but-really-actually-is. Dunne created for his readers a sense of the obsession he felt while covering the O.J. Simpson trial, and I felt that need to delve and to continue and to not stop obsessing. I couldn't put this book down.
Barbara
Another example of Dunne's recurring theme of how the rich and famous live in a protected world. I found it interesting how easy it was for race to become the issue in Simpson's trial rather than the victims. The name dropping was annoying at first then I began to enjoy the gossip.
Lynda
This was not the story of the O J Simpson trial. Rather it is the story of Dunne's covering the story, the interaction not only with the people involved in the trial, and his celebrated friends' reactions to the case. I liked it better than any of his other books.
Kristin Rubalcava
This is a facination book especially if you were followed the OJ Simpson Trial. Although a work of fiction much of the story is from the authors experiences in LA while attending the trial. It seems names were simply changed.
One of my top 10 books!
Jefferson
Disappointing and dated. The book uses the trial as backdrop, assuming the reader is fully familiar with the participants and details. The conceit of disguising this as fiction is bewildering at times, and leads to a facile ending.
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder
  • The Blooding
  • Amexica: War Along the Borderline
  • Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo
  • But I Trusted You and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #14)
  • Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women
  • Trail of Secrets
  • Apple of My Eye
  • House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival
  • Karly Sheehan: True Crime Story Behind Karly's Law
  • Nicole Brown Simpson: the Private Diary of a Life Interrupted
  • Our Guys: The Glen Ridge Rape and the Secret Life of the Perfect Suburb
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and...more
More about Dominick Dunne...
A Season in Purgatory The Two Mrs. Grenvilles An Inconvenient Woman People Like Us Too Much Money