Start by marking “No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)” as Want to Read:
No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)

No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,962 ratings  ·  109 reviews
LINE YOUR DUCKS UP IN A ROW…
The hilly terrain next to the old Sprocket house that Meg Langslow and her fiancé, Michael, are refurbishing is the perfect location for an "extreme" croquet field--even the legs of cows and sheep are convenient extra wickets. A sport traditionally reserved for genteel society, croquet has become all the rage in Caerphilly…until it appears some
Published June 26th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published August 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about No Nest for the Wicket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Nest for the Wicket

Graceann
In this entry in the delightful series of Meg Langslow mysteries, Meg takes part in an "eXtreme croquet" tournament, and finds herself embroiled in a murder mystery instead.

I always find it amusing in these cozy mysteries that the lead character, a civilian, attracts dead bodies. As witty and fun as I find Meg, if I knew her in real life, I'm sure I would keep my distance as a matter of personal safety. Reading about her adventures is another matter entirely. She, Michael, her family and friend
Carol
My heart says this is a great cozy! My brain will give in and forgive it for having so many suspects! This is my first venture into this cozy series written by Meg Laslow. I now want to go back and read the first of this series, “Owls Well That Ends Well”.

The story starts off with an "eXtreme croquet" which means croquet played in rough terrain, this time involving cow and sheep pastures. Which means that you could end up with a cow standing guard over your wicket? Meg, the main character finds
Elaine
After years of library searches, I snagged the ebook. Why is this one so difficult to find? Is it the eXtreme crochet? The civil war references? Rose Noire's relationship with a lackadaisical sheep owner? Meg at her most iconic. Fun for those who remember Alice's queen and the flamingos. And for anyone with a sense of humor.
Susan
I love Donna Andrews mysteries. Yes, there are murders, and sometimes it bothers me that it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, but the story of the hilarious family and all the animal antics more than makes up for it. Very light, fluffy, easy, enjoyable reads. AND, there are a lot of them! Win!
Pat
A VERY Light mystery. A lot of characters and not well defined. The story revolves around a game called "extreme" croquet, very odd in itself. If you are a real mystery lover, I don't think this is the book for you.
Adrienne Testa
The gang's all here at Michael and Meg's home to play extreme croquet as the house is being worked on. Until a historian is found dead during the game and no one will admit they recognize the historian except for Michael. Secrets and lies from fifty years ago are exposed, as Meg pieces together the truth about the Pruitt's participation in the civil war. Only to learn that her neighbor is looking to sell his farm to make room for a mega shopping facility. Laughing at Meg and her survival methods ...more
Cherie
Meg and her fiancé Michael are attempting to get settled into their new home in Caerphilly, or actually their barn more like as the house itself is still going through all sorts of repairs and renovations. Since they're also hosting Caerphilly's first official extreme croquet tournament, their home is swarming not only with the Shiffley family work men, but with all Meg's family as well, including countless cousins and second cousins.

Therefore, there's no shortage of suspects when Meg finds a de
Elizabeth Kennedy
Fun book in the Meg Lanslow series, with all of her crazy relatives and millions of animals and angry people and strangers and librarians and uppity townspeople and a huge new mall opening and a fake civil war battle. If that's not enough, Meg is on an Extreme Croquet team, which I had never hear of before, but it sound like a lot of fun, and its a real game. People play croquet on the roughest, boggiest, animal filled, tree root infested and rockiest terrain possible.

Meg's endearing dad, her l
Mark Baker
Meg and Michael are hosting an extreme coquette tournament on their property when Meg stumbles across a body half hidden under a bush. Not quite as funny as previous entries in the series, but the mystery is strong.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Rachel
Another hilarious animal-flavored offering by Donna Andrews. Meg's blacksmith skills take a back burner in this novel that concentrates on the sport of Extreme Croquet. All of Langslow's crazy family shows up in this spectacular book- and of course, there is the obligatory corpse who appears to have been hit in the head with a croquet mallet. No one recognizes her . . . but everyone's dealt with her.

Incredibly, unbelievably funny and perfect for my Grandmother and my reading taste's alike. There
Ed
#7 in the Meg Langslow series. A wonderfully wacky, but deadly, game of extreme croquet is the centerpiece of this comic mystery that was a finalist for the 2007 Lefty Award.

Meg Langslow series - An all-too-competitive game of "eXtreme croquet" set in an obstacle-ridden cow and sheep pasture in Caerphilly, Va., leads to murder. When Meg chases an errant shot into a gully, she discovers the fresh corpse of a woman with her head bashed in. The victim appears to have been done in with a croquet mal
Linda Cole
Laughed out loud book

I enjoyed reading mysteries with characters who are funny and think outside the box. each book in this series has left me wanting to know what's next for meg and her family
Fmorlan
Meg and Michael trying to get their house livable have construction in progress and eXtreme croquet tournament at the same time. With the numerous family members and croquet players the house is filled with people. While playing, of course a body appears but to Meg's dismay no one claims to know the corpse. In addition to the investigation, there is a hint of the field next to their house will be home for an outlet mall. Meg continues her help to everyone with her notebook that tells her when to ...more
Jmlwallis
I couldn't put this book down for the first 173 pages. Donna Andrews definitely knows how to write a book. I love the amount of animals in her books and the mysteries just flow.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2014 Michelle marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow series is one of my all time favourites and a series I re-read with regularity. No nest for the wicket is one of the best, as I really enjoy the ones where Meg's wacky family plays their part. I've read no author who can so perfectly write such three-dimensional characters - even the most out there of the relatives seems believable. I think the plot was solid, with lots of red herrings and the murderer ultimately not easy to guess.

I hope Ms. Andrews finds many many mo
Cherie
This was probably my favorite out of the series. Hilarious! I may have to re-read it to see if I still think so.
Scoats
If you like the Stephie Plum books (and I do), you'll like Meg Langslow stories too. The same easy, breezy writing style with interesting and likeable characters and lightly humorous situations.

Long story short, a female blacksmith and her professor fiance buy a small farm in a town filled with eccentric people. Most of the town is engaged in an Xtreme Croquet tournament when the narrator literally falls over a body.

There didn't seem to be a lot of clues to ponder to figure out who the killer wa
Patty
The new installment in the Meg Langslow series is just as fun as the rest. Meg’s brother has gotten her involved in extreme croquet and that has resulted in murder. While Meg tries to solve the crime, the regular case of relatives get involved and a work crew continues fixing the house. (Meg and her fiancée have moved into the barn) In typical Andrews fashion, multiple things are going on and all will have the reader laughing. If you have read the series, you are in for another treat. If you hav ...more
Linda
Part of my 2009 TBR Challenge. I thought this book was just okay. Maybe I've juse read too many corny mysteries. Perhaps it was that the reference to extreme croquet were kind of dumb. I guess I may have lost track of all the characters, many of whom seemed underdeveloped and most of whom seemed unlikeable. It wasn't bad enough to stop reading and it was quick and painless, but I don't think I'll pick up another Meg Langslow mystery. If I get a free one (as this book was passed on from someone e ...more
Susan
I enjoyed the extreme croquet elements of this one.
Karen
Not my favorite, but still amusing.
Joy
Begins with a delicious chapter of playing eXtreme croquet, before the body of a stranger becomes one of the hazards. Based on Michael's past acquaintance with the once-pretty woman, Meg traces the victim's past and her relish for making enemies. This time, she planned to embarrass one of the local society leaders. Author Donna Andrews has a special talent for funny crowd management - a local revolution is in the offing. Time to go shopping for Donna Andrews' books. I know I'm going to be reread ...more
Linnellbelle Fowers
I found this book while browsing my local library. The title caught my eye. I enjoy word play so I decided to give it a try, although I was prepared, as usual, to chuck the book across the room if any schmuck appeared. (I generally chuck very gently, especially if it's a library book.)
This book lived up to its title. It was funny. The author has a subtle sense of humor that makes me chuckle. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys a fun murder mystery.
Jill
Number 7 in a series. Meg just can't say NO so she is helping organize and EXtreme Croquet tournament when a body is found. A little slow getting to the end, but things all fall together, as always.
Elizabeth Olson
Plus points for cleverness, humor, and engagingly quirky main characters. Minus points for a bazillion others characters with nearly a jillion motives and a trillion conflicting clues. Ouch, my brain! Don't ask me who did it or why, I finished it two days ago and can't even remember by now. But I do remember that the writing was decent, the gimmick of extreme croquet was fun, and I enjoyed this fast-paced cozy mystery. That'll do.
PWRL
Jan 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Jessi
This series continues its greatness. I love that this book centers around extreme croquet. I know I've played that way but I didn't know anyone else did.
In this book, Meg has to figure out who killed a little liked lady historian that she stumbles across as they're playing croquet. The lady's head is bashed in and, though the players all deny knowing her, she finds out that more than one is hiding the truth.
Hannah
Ahhh... really dissapointing. I like the other books in the series, but this one just didn't measure up. Meg wasn't as kickass in this book. I mainly just felt like I'd read this book before. But the other books had done it better.
Ah well. Writers have to pay the bills once in a while too, I guess!
But I still like the rest of the books in the series. I'll just forget this one exists.
Verity W
Oh I love this series! This isn't the best in the series, but it's still streets ahead of a lot of other similar books. I'm constantly amazed at Andrews' invention - as she generates ideas for the series without resorting to breaking Meg and Michael up. And the new house still isn't renovated - so there's presumably more plots to come from that!
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #20)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (Dimity #2)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • Murder Goes Mumming
  • Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

More about Donna Andrews...
Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1) Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3) Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)