Start by marking “The Sacred Cipher” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Cipher

The Sacred Cipher

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  32 reviews
History's greatest secret could be tomorrow's greatest threat More historically and biblically accurate than The DaVinci Code and just as adventurous as an Indiana Jones movie, The Sacred Cipher combines action and mystery to draw readers into a world of ancient secrets and international escapades.

When an ancient scroll appears in a secret room of the Bowery Mission in New
Published July 1st 2009 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Cipher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Cipher

Janna
"Sacred Cipher" is the kind of book that sucks you in slowly and then won't let you go til it spits you out at the very end. What I mean to say is that it took me a few chapters to get oriented to what was going on, who everybody was and where the story was going. Then I had to grab on with both hands and just hold on for the ride! There are plenty of seeds of truth in this book and storyline - the preacher Charles Spurgeon and his love of books, the Demotic language and the Rosetta Stone, Sir E ...more
Pat
This book is an intriguing page turner. From the very beginning to the last word, the author held me riveted to the story, eagerly anticipating what would happen next. An international thriller, the novel leads the reader through plot twists and turns, around unexpected corners, and deep into Biblical history.

Terry Brennan has defined believable characters and launched them on a seemingly impossible quest, riddled with danger and brimming with adventure. He captures the challenge of the mission
Jay Phillippi
Hidden inside a sealed room in New York's historic Bowery Mission is a cipher that promises to threaten the stability of the world even after centuries. An unlikely band of experts will gather in Jerusalem to try and find the truth. Assuming they can find it before they are killed by one of the several groups who are chasing them, determined to keep the secret safe.

This is the kind of book I am guaranteed to pick up. I love the Dan Brown books and the Indiana Jones movies. Take some historical f
David
A good story is ruined by the need for the main character to pray to God every few minutes. If you can stand the preaching, you might like the story. And of course the atheist is converted in the end (to Christianity of course). This book takes a dim view of both the Jews and the Muslims. What a shame.
Trudi Jorda
I enjoyed the tale of passion, faith and fear. I was a bit overwhelmed at the amount of information thrust upon me but after ingesting the first half the book and letting the thoughts and information take root I found I could not put the book down. I had to know how it all came out. The giant leap of faith that these men took was amazing. The world around them would never/could never cope with the information revealed. It would be so wonderful if this could have created peace but I suspect that ...more
Flsunluvr
46% of the way through I pulled the plug.
Kim Sargent
I thought it was awful. Poorly written. I had to stop reading it.
Victor Gentile
Terry Brennan in his new book “The Sacred Cipher” Book One in The Sacred Cipher series published by Kregel Publications gives us another thriller with Tom Bohannon. History’s Greatest Secret Could Be Tomorrow’s Greatest Threat

From the back cover: A secret room has been discovered in the chapel of the Bowery Mission. And what’s hidden inside could change the world as we know it.
When New Yorker Tom Bohannon uncovers an ancient cipher containing a dead language that has been lost in the sands of ti
Shaun
Jan 19, 2011 Shaun rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shaun by: Bob Hayton
Renovations were underway at the historic Bowery Mission in New York City and by chance, the construction workers came across a hidden room behind the organ pipes of the chapel. Tom Bohannan, executive director of the mission quickly realizes that what they've discovered is the office of Dr. Louis Klopsch, the first president of the Bowery mission. While the office has the traditional furnishings you'd expect, the one piece of furniture that stands out is a large ornate safe. After a bit of sear ...more
Title: THE SACRED CIPHER
Author: Terry Brennan
Publisher: Kregel Publications
2009
ISBN: 978-0-8254-2426-7
Genre: Inspirational/mystery

A secret room has been discovered in the chapel of the bowery mission. And what’s hidden inside reveals a mystery of biblical proportions.

Tom Bohannon is at a construction site when the workers discover a hidden room in the building they are working on. When Tom goes to investigate, he discovers a room filled with file cabinets and a safe stuffed full of documents. O
Bob Hayton
The Sacred Cipher by Terry Brennan, was my first jaunt into the genre of Biblical archeological fiction. The classic example, I'm told, is Paul Maier's A Skeleton in God's Closet. As a “Bible geek”, who enjoys studying biblical languages and following the history of Biblical texts, I thoroughly enjoyed this work. It's hard to believe that this is truly Brennan's first novel.

The story centers on a discovery, in an old New York mission building of an ancient scroll written in an unknown script. To
Lisa Johnson
Title: The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Author: Terry Brennan
Pages: 346
Year: 2009
Publisher: Kregel Publications
This is an exciting, exhilarating and exacting story. The story is modern day, taking place in New York City and Jerusalem. There is a prologue to give the history of the plot. There is also another book that continues the story titled, The Brotherhood Conspiracy. This book will be reviewed on this blog as well.
Tom Bohannon is the director of the Bowery Mission in New York City. While remode
Hans Doreleyers
Too many inaccuracies, unbelievable

the beginning of the book grabbed my attention, but the author did not manage to convince me that the discovery of a temple would lead to a nuclear war. And without it, the book falls apart. Further, I thought it ludicrous for the author to have his heroes surf the web, receive GPS data and receive phone calls while 600 feet under ground. No way!
Shannon
Interesting story. Overblown writing -- the conversations among the characters weren't at all realistic. A bit too religious (a lot of praying and guidance from God) for me. The author seemed to relay on an "inspiration" to get the characters of of uncomfortable situations.
Graeme Stokes
Too much detail and not enough story substance... The only thing the main character did not do is eat an ice cream, however I am sure had he then the dialogue would have gone something like this... Tom stood at the door way about to enter to find what he had been so long searching as he looked in it reminded him of his brief stay in coney island as a child and the exquisite taste of the ice cream as it passed his throat on this particularly hot and humid day... Tom closed his eyes and imagined w ...more
Paula Howard
The Sacred Cipher is an adventure, deals with religious and political tensions in the Middle East and has a religious basis to it.

A cipher is found in NY in a secret room in the Bowery Mission. Calling upon those knowledgeable in ciphers it is broken. Once that cipher is found the lives of all involved are endangered. The Prophet Guard, an Islamic group, is out to gain control of the cipher at all costs.

The adventure begins in NY but heads to Jerusalem where all hell breaks loose. Shin Bit, the
Joan
In this first book of the end times series, Tom, executive director of a homeless mission in new York City, finds an ancient scroll hidden under the mission. He gathers a group of historians and scholars to decode the mysterious writing. What they find leads them to the Middle East and an amazing discovery.
This book is full of historical information and action based on the current political scene. I thought the action dragged at times but there is still plenty of it to keep one reading. I also f
Cam
Written as a sacred adventure treasure hunt along the lines of a Dan Brown novel, but with a strong Christian perspective. Suspenseful for the most part,though there are sections where the action drags. Interesting twist on history, the present, and the future.
Stephanie
I really did like this book. I love books that make me research for more information. I know very little beyond common knowledge of Temple Mount and a bit of its history, but this made me want to know more about the true historical characters this book mentions. It's amazing to think of the directions our world could go based on changing history, discovering ideas on religion and gods we thought were different, and where common man can go.
Jeff Chaves
Great, fun read! There are some great plot twists. I will be reading the sequel
Rosalyn
I enjoyed this book, at times though it was a wee bit religious and could have put some off. The bonus was all the really interesting details about the temple mount Israel history and also that of the Rosetta stone. It had elements of I know its fiction but you never know perhaps maybe and this I really love. You could loosely say that at times it was along the lines of a Dan Brown. I would happily read the next book
Cindi
Apr 07, 2010 Cindi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
The Sacred Cipher is an entertaining and exciting adventure. One man finds an ancient scroll written in an extinct language. He gathers a team to help him uncover the secret. At the same time, there are others who will go to great lengths to stop them.

Similar to Dan Brown's books, Terry Brennan imagines a secret "treasure hunt" that will change the world, minus the mutilated bodies and with the addition of strong faith in God. The characters are well developed and not your typical adventure hero
Robin
Perfect combination of history, excitement and fiction.
Alex
This book was certainly interesting! The first chapter really grabbed me, which is always a plus about a book, I think! There were a few chapters where I struggled to keep my interest - I felt that the author went into too much detail with certain things but as it was probably necessary to the book, I kept reading! All in all, a really enjoyable, fast-paced, action-packed read very reminiscent of Indiana Jones.
Jaime
I did not like how the author interchanged the characters' first and last names through out the book. At times it got confusing. Especially when the author would describe the vehicle the characters drove - was it a SUV or a toyota, or a toyota suv?
Also - the amount of praying and answers coming from prayers to solve predicaments...just thought it was too much.
Judith
I really enjoyed this book - riveting plot, great characters with good chemistry together and some interesting historical details. I read this book because I won the second novel by this author, The Brotherhood Conspiracy, in a Goodreads contest as a first reads and wanted some insight into the main character before I read it. I'm glad I did.
Randall
Really quite excellent with all of the detail that makes great archeological fiction. It is sadly spoiled by the main character needing to pray every few minutes towards the end. If you can get past the increasingly oppressive preaching you'll be delighted. Overall, very worth it.
Sheri
Wow!! Walk away Dan Brown and Indiana Jones!! A Christian book better than those!! It kept me on my toes throughout the entire saga and the whole entire book was scripturally accurate! What a treat!! I will recommend it to everyone I know!!
Andre Steffens
Great read! It started out a little slow, but once the story got going, it moved at quite a tempo. The end was a little unexpected, but overall I enjoyed reading the book.
Trine
A bit too predictive, a lot of space used on explaining all kinds of facts, some loose ends, but eventually its gets down to some breathless action and an unexpected ending.
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • The Planner
  • The Sword of Moses
  • Informed Consent: A Novel
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Serpent of Moses
  • The Cana Mystery
  • Indisputable Proof
  • The Book of Stolen Tales (Mesopotamian Trilogy #2)
  • The Golden Crystal
  • Pentecost (Arcane, #1)
  • The Nostradamus File (The Project, #6)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Romanov Legacy
  • The Lost Ark
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)
The Brotherhood Conspiracy Primate Ecology and Social Structure, Volume 2: New World Monkeys