Start by marking “Taming The Beast” as Want to Read:
Taming The Beast

Taming The Beast

After years of turmoil, Roderick Cherbon has left the Crusades to return to the home he loves. But the wars have changed him, and the heir who thought to heal his father's injustices has become a vicious beast of a man, scarred inside and out. He will speak to no one, see no one; he leaves the shadows of his ruined keep only under the darkness of night. And even in death h ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Taming The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming The Beast

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nov 03, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Medieval romance fans, fans of Beauty and the Beast theme
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Impulse Buy
This was a total impulse buy that paid off. I loved this book. It was one of those stories that I couldn't put down, and I was compelled to read, even though I had already started some other books. It couldn't believe how fast I read it, within about four to five hours.

I love medieval romances, so that helped. And I'm a sucker for the broken/scarred/hurt hero. Well, Roderick is all three. He comes back from the Crusades a broken man, although he had lots of baggage before he went there, with a f
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
5 Bold Stars !

This book was a 3.25 until I reached the last 30% or so.Because the Ending? Good Lord! was everything <3
The climax was almost a 2 part in this read...hence the added 2 stars to the rating.(Each for a part)

P.s: Yes.This book is based on Beauty & The Beast.But it's just that,A base for the story to build on.But the intricate characters the author adds to embellish and the unexpected climax added in the end....Makes this book different.
And everything <3

Would highly rec
Zumbagirl
3.5 stars.
While this book had many elements that I normally love - beauty and the beast, adorable child, secrets - it was just missing something. I have never read anything by Heather Grothaus and she's a good writer, but it just didn't click for me. I absolutely loved Leo or Ee-oh, as he would call himself. Even though I got to know the main characters, I really didn't fall for either one. Roderick had been terribly injured in the Crusades and is missing part of his leg, from the knee down. He
ChloeLeeNH
Nov 09, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-b
I liked it! I haven't read Medieval in a very long time but I was attracted to the B&B theme. This didn't disappoint. I liked seeing his redemption and her steadfastly making him believe that he was not worthless. The paranormal aspect was just a bit much but I overall really liked this. There were a couple of twists that I didn't see coming too!
MaggieReadsRom
Roderick Cherbon returns home after escaping the clutches of death on the battlefield to the home were he was never wanted and an inheritance laced with the condition he marry before he turns 30. A condition made by his deceased father as a last spite to show Roderick he is not worthy. Finding a wife when scarred physically and mentally proves very hard though as all candidates flee the moment they lay eyes on Roderick and his gloomy castle. Even the offer of money doesn't entice the ladies.

Rod
Jess the Romanceaholic
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I did like this book, it was an enjoyable read and I thought Leo the heroes son in this was adorable. However, I don't think this is a book that will stick in my mind nor would I really rush to buy another one of the authors book.

A few things niggled me about this book, the main thing being how Micheala, the heroine of the story, fell in love quite so quickly with Roderick our hero. Because at the point in the story when she decides that she loves him he has done nothing to "earn" it apart for b
Rose May
Aug 29, 2011 Rose May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-minus
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

First, let me say, I’m a real sucker for Beauty and the Beast stories. If you’re not, you won’t adore this book nearly as much as I do. That warning aside, this book was fantastic! Roderick Cherbon has returned from the Crusades hideously disfigured. The only good news is his hated father has died, leaving him the Cherbon lands – with a condition. He must marry before his
Katherine Pharis
I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this book. I'm paying for it today, but it was worth it.

While certainly not perfect, I really enjoyed reading it and will probably read it again one day. I loved, loved, loved Hugh. I thought that he stole every scene he was in, to be honest. And when his big "secret" was brought into the open, I was like "I knew it!"

Michaela was very likable as well, but she has a lot more patience than I do. But that may be why she's the heroine of a romance novel and
Karen
Aug 10, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
The first novel I have read from this Author and will certainly be reading her others. Set in medieval times, a period that I am reading more and more of, this is the story of Roderick Cherbon, who returns from the Crusades a wounded man, in his physical appearance and in his soul. To retain his land and title after his father's death he must marry. Not such an easy thing due to his reputation and his appearance.
Along comes Lady Michaela Fortune seeking Roderick's offer in an effort to cause som
Rob
I absolutely LOVE Beauty and the Beast type stories. Nothing makes for better reading than a tortured/scarred/reclusive hero who pushes everyone away...and the strength and determination of one woman that will stop at nothing to soften and win his heart. A wonderful storyline, with much emotion and a few very surprising twists. I loved the characters, especially Lady Michaela. She was a perfect match for Roderick. I loved that she never backed down and didn't cower at any of his insults. I wish ...more
Julie
Aug 22, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed
This is different from the normal Scottish historical romance that I like to read but I ended up quite enjoying the book. I like how the author develops the relationship between Michaela and Roderick and the other characters that appear In the book. All in all I enjoyed the book and I found myself wishing it hadn't ended and wanting to read more about the characters even though the author tied everything up well at the end.
Surekha R
Dec 23, 2011 Surekha R rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scarred-hero
This book was an awesome read. You have a dark castle, a darker Lord and a fair maiden. Lord Roderick is scarred physically as well as emotionally and Lady Michaela has her own emotional upheavals. Even though Lord Roderick behaved absolutely horrendous at times, Micheala never gives up fighting for their happiness. The foil to these 2 would Hugh and Leo. The interactions of these characters making the story heartwarming. It's an excellent read for those who love beauty and the beast genre.
Rennegade Hunter
4 stars for enjoyment, probably 2.5 for quality. Not gonna lie, the ending is ridiculous; even though its been hinted at the whole way through the book, its still seems random and hilarious. Its very distracting from the rest of the story but, otherwise, I found this an enjoyable read with likeable characters.
adelina.
May 06, 2012 adelina. rated it really liked it
I like books with themes of scarred heroes and I liked this one, but one and only problems was that I waited for this book for like two months and I expected to much.

Biggest plus and why this book got four and not three stars is because of little Leo, I loved his character so much. He was one amazing little baby boy. :D
Connie Ballesteros
Nov 10, 2011 Connie Ballesteros rated it really liked it
It was not what I expected. It was diferent from the traditional romantic history story which was a good thing, it included a little bit of lets say paranormal tinge to it. I liked it a lot, sort of a feel good. It was a really good book safe for a few obvious things and the ednding (consider the las few pages) fell a little short. But I highly recomend it!
Audra
Oct 04, 2012 Audra rated it really liked it
Over all, I thought it was a good book. It was a wonderful retelling of Beauty and the Beast. My only problem was really the love scene. It had barely begun, before it was over. The whole Hugh thing was a bit of a twist, but didn't take away from the story.
Jessica
Oct 13, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. If you like Beauty and the Beast like books this one is a good one to read. It takes the story to an all new level.
Kiera
Mar 06, 2010 Kiera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather anachronistic, but very enjoyable.
Alexandra
Jun 27, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i loved this one . 5 +++
Tilequa
hated the ending
Dawn-Desiree
Oct 03, 2012 Dawn-Desiree rated it really liked it
I am a true sucker for anything Beauty and the Beast related. I was happy to find this book well written as well as a favorite story line.
♥ℳelody
I have to say this surprised me. The story lagged in the beginning but once it picked it up I enjoyed it. Wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. It had the classic beauty-and-the-beast theme but with a darker edge. I really enjoyed the hero in this Roderick Cherbon, who is far from perfect. Yes he was brooding, mean, short-tempered but I understood him. I didn't know what to make of the heroine at first, Michaela who came off naive, immature and a bit self-serving in the beginning then dra ...more
Jan 08, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it
Nicely written retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. Rick's reluctance to accept he can be loved can sometimes be repetitive, but it was a good story nonetheless. There are a couple of shocking twists, and a slight supernatural touch.
Gerrie
norcalgal
Jul 12, 2015 norcalgal rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr-uf
Re-tellings of the Beauty and the Beast fable are like catnip to me - I just can't resist them. I wish I had resisted this one, though. The story just never captured my attention, and I didn't connect with any of the characters.

I also didn't care for the supernatural element of The Hunt and the riders in that posse. I just felt it was weird throwing that into the story, and it felt a little forced. I will admit if "Taming the Beast" is part of a series, I have not read any of the other novels (a
Cruth
Author: Heather Grothaus
First published: November 2009
Length: 346 pages, 4914 kindle locations
Setting: Medieval Romance - Constantinople 1101, England 1103
Sex: reasonably explicit. Only a couple of bedroom scenes, towards the end. Some discussion during book, however.
Language: Strangely, for a medieval setting, this book comes with a strong language warning.
Includes: Author note linking cameo character Alder to "The Vampire Hunter" novella in Highland Beast, and some discussion of the paranormal
Readitnweep
Cherise
Vai
I really loved this book though it could use a better title than plain Taming The Beast.

It starts with Roderick. He is seriously hurt in the Holy War and basically hopes to die, soon. With him is Hugh, a fellow warrior who is doing everything in his power to keep Roderick alive. We get to know Roderick and his demons in the prologue and for that I'm grateful because it did show what kind of a man he really was in his heart.

Then we get to know Michaela. She has that special something in her tha
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • The Veil of Night (Night, #1)
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Once a Rake
  • Harper's Bride
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Redemption (Devereaux #6)
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Taming The Beast (Wife Inc., #3)
  • Parting Gifts
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The Irish Devil (Irish Eyes, #1) (Irish Eyes Duo, #1)
  • Bitterleaf
Heather Grothaus has published twelve novels since 2006, which
have been translated into several foreign languages. She fell in love with
historical romance after reading a Kathleen E. Woodiwiss novel when she
was far too young to be doing so, and has since built a
reputation for crafting twisting adventures, laugh-out-loud dialogue, and
heart-wrenching emotion. When she’s not writing, she spends
More about Heather Grothaus...