Start by marking “Just the Way You Are” as Want to Read:
Just the Way You Are

Just the Way You Are

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  979 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
One of the greatest gifts parents can give their children is the assurance that Mom and Dad love them just as they are, apart from anything that they do. But telling them once won't make it sink in. Kids need to be reminded of it over and over, until those words get inside their hearts.

In the same way, children need to hear again and again that their Heavenly Father loves
Published October 14th 1999 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Just the Way You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just the Way You Are

Margaret
Apr 13, 2016 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children-s
I thought it was a great book about five orphans who find that the king was to try to adopt them and will return soon. Four of them who have talents worked hard on their talents so they have something to offer the king when does return after the villagers say "you need to impress the king." The fifth has no talents, but has a big heart. She thinks she can't give the king 'her heart,' so tries to ask her siblings if one of them can teach her his/her talent. However, when all of them decline sayin ...more
Emily Galicia
Mar 26, 2014 Emily Galicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
This is a sweet and inspiring book. I read it and I really think we can get a simple and yet so profound message. Max Lucado really has a way with expressing the gospel in terms that everybody can understand. This is a lovely book, everyone should read it at least once. This is a story about a king who is going to adopt 5 orphans. The story focuses on the youngest girl, who fears she has no talent and can make no gift for the king. The story shows how her heart and love is her gift, and she's th ...more
Leanne
Mar 26, 2010 Leanne rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado's books for children are exceptional, every child deserves to have them read out loud to them and every parent deserves to experience their message.
Stephanie
Sep 16, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a beautiful book--images and text align elegantly. The only thing I don't like is the summary on the back of the scholastic edition of September 2000 which imposes a very Christian context which tells the reader that the king is really 'the Heavenly Father'. The images, by Sergio Martinez, do evoke Puritans who could be Dutch, English or from the United States.
I've read a few children's books in my time, but I did not see the Christian subtext until I closed the book. I was quite surpris
Kellam Venosky
Mar 02, 2016 Kellam Venosky rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I just look to read Max Lucado's children's books for fun and to prepare for Sunday School lessons. However, as I read tonight of how much our Heavenly Father loves us and delights in us just the way we are, I was hit with a childlike faith that makes me feel blessed! God makes time for us, just the way we are. Do we care for others that same way? Do we make time for God? If not, why not? He should be the most important part of every day.

These books bring about good questions to ask a
Schuyler
Mar 31, 2014 Schuyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-355-07, march
This is a great book and teaches a very good moral lesson. In it, a young orphaned girl learns that her own gift of kindness is more special to a king than her learning to carve wooden figures, how to paint a masterpiece, or developing a beautiful singing voice. It is important for children to remember who they are and that everyone has special talents of their own. It isn't important to be the best at everything, but it is important to be the best person you can be. I especially enjoyed the wel ...more
Dawn
Jul 02, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This book has great healing power. It has helped me to realize what is most important: being loving to those around us. When we do this we are filled with God's love and can recognize his hand in our lives.

I totally disagree with the summary on Goodreads that explains what this book is about. It isn't about telling our kids we love them. It is about living our lives with a proper focus so that we recognize the good and are ready for God to show himself to us.

Sheng Yang
Mar 31, 2014 Sheng Yang rated it liked it
Shelves: march
This story is really cute. It really fits the title. The aspect that I like the most out of this story, is that the little girl did not need to change. Yes, she made the effort to acquire some notice or favor of the king when he does come and visit. But ultimately it was because she was just herself, willing to go the extra mile that really impressed the king. It is a very heart-warming story, I would read it to children because it has a good moral to the story.
Cindi
Jun 28, 2011 Cindi rated it really liked it

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 (NIV)

Many find it hard to believe that the God who created the earth could love them. Surely they must be worthy of His attention and love before He offers it willingly, they think. However, the Scripture found in Romans, chapter 5, verse 8 clearly says that God loves even the unlovable, those filled with sin and with nothing of worth to offer. "Just the Way You Are" written by Max Luc
Jenni De la mare
Mar 27, 2014 Jenni De la mare rated it liked it
Shelves: march
This is a neat story that emphasizes the importance of having a good heart and making time for others. It's a good book that I think I would use to teach values. I also liked the emphasis that is put on being who you are. It teaches that we don't have to change to impress people, we just need to do what we know how to do.
Shelley
Nov 15, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4
Another nice Lucado book. This one is about knowing it's ok to be yourself and not trying to be like everyone else to be accepted. It is a little more complex of a story than the simple wemmicks "you are special" storyline, but just as meaningful....more for four year olds and older than a two year old.
Alyssa
Mar 31, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
I really enjoyed Just The Way You Are, but is that really a surprise considering the author? I grew up reading You Are Special and again Max Lucado is able to weave together a engaging story that has a sweet message. I may not have loved it as much as You Are Special, but I would still recommend it heartily!
Melanie Lee
Feb 17, 2015 Melanie Lee rated it it was amazing
All of Max Lucado's books make me tear up. They're so sweet whether you're religious or just need a solid self esteem booster. I highly recommend theses to be part of house hold book collections and in class rooms of any sort. They're so sweet and tender.
Jul 06, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Five orphans are overjoyed when they hear that the King wants to adopt them. The villagers tell them they need talents or things to impress the King so that when he comes he won't be disappointed, so they set to perfecting their talents, all except the youngest sister, who isn't quite sure that she has a talent.

This is a sweet, sweet little book. I read it and had tears in my eyes, the message was so simple and yet so profound. Max Lucado really has a way with expressing the gospel in terms that
Spencer
Mar 26, 2014 Spencer rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
The book had a good message. I thought the pictures were well done as well. The lesson taught in this book is age appropriate for children. Not too long, a nice easy read.
April
Feb 12, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
This a a really cute book that shows children to be themselves. Would be a great book to read to a elementary class or primary class. Beautiful art work
Tanya
Mar 03, 2016 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, i-own-it
I bought this one for my girls when they were young because I love Lucado's books. Such sweet messages of love!
Melanie Kirk
Mar 19, 2015 Melanie Kirk rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Lucado. Valuable message in an understandable format for all kids.
Heidi
Aug 27, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that teaches about how the greatest gift we can give is our heart. A little girl thinks she has little to give b/c all of her siblings have such wonderful talents. But, they are so busy thinking of themselves that they won't share their talents. She on the other hand is always helping and serving others and so when the king comes to adopt her and her siblings (in disguise), she is the only one who is ready to become his daughter. The others are too busy trying to think o ...more
Liz Lovesrainbows
Feb 10, 2014 Liz Lovesrainbows rated it it was amazing
Loved the true meaning of the story.
IrenesBookReviews
Nov 05, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
A family of orphans learns they will be adopted by the King. They all begin to get ready by working on a talent they have so the king will accept them. The youngest is friendly with people and helpful to strangers but feels she has no real talent to show the King when he comes. She finds that by being herself she is the one ready for the King when he comes. The King explains all he really wants is someone to spend time with him and love him. It teaches kindness and taking the time to be with fam ...more
Angie
Again, wow!
Nikki
Jan 20, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Really sweet story about a king who's going to adopt 5 orphans. The story focuses on the youngest girl, who fears she has no talent and can make no gift for the king. The story shows how her heart and love is her gift, and she's the one the king bonds with. Another story about adoption, but not told as directly. The illustrations are quaint, as the story takes place "a long time ago." Great story for kids about being accepted just as you are.
Tess
Oct 22, 2013 Tess rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was little, but i was surprised to realize that it was a story about the unconditional love of God, I had just assumed that the message was that everyone was special in their own unique way and that sometimes it's the person who feels they have nothing worth giving who is willing to give the most for others. Well either way I still love it.
Brandy
Apr 10, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
This story can be shared with a first and second grade class. The students will see that special talents aren't always needed. We each have something special to offer; and should love that about ourselves. I would extend this story with a writing assignment by have the students write in their journals about something special about themselves.
Desi
Apr 17, 2008 Desi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I love all of the Max Lucado children's books that I've read. They are a wonderful reminder of who we are and that God loves each and every one of us. Even after reading them several times I tear up while reading them because of their powerful reminder. Get them in hardcover for your kids...you won't regret it.
Neuharth Family
Jun 10, 2012 Neuharth Family rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-time-books
An excellent book for elementary school children up through adult. Rather advanced for most preschoolers, though ours listened to the whole thing. The artwork is top-notch, really smashing!
Kelli
Jul 11, 2011 Kelli rated it liked it
Its a good message on trying to impress people and realizing all God wanted you to be in the first place, was yourself. The illustrations are a bit too dark for me. Not a lot of color.
Corinne
Aug 10, 2009 Corinne rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Max Lucado books and the messages he portrays through his stories. I have now purchased almost every Max Lucado book because I enjoy them so much!
  • You Are Priceless: The Parable of the Bicycle
  • Christmas Oranges
  • My First Book of Mormon Stories
  • When Jessie Came Across the Sea
  • That's Not My Monster
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
  • Miss Fannie's Hat
  • Who's Your Hero?: Book of Mormon Stories Applied to Children
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • The Beginner's Bible
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Children's Songbook
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • How the Cat Swallowed Thunder
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...