4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published 1966 by Dutton

Be the first to ask a question about Small Man of Nanataki; the True Story of a Japanese Who Risked His Life to Provide Comfort for His Enemies

Keith
"Small Man of Nanataki" is a war story with a difference. Japanese POW camp interpreter Kiyoshi Watanabi seeks to aid the dreadful plight of the prisoners despite the danger to himself.
Brenda Cregor
The subtitle of this book reads: The true story of a Japanese who risked his life to provide comfort for his enemies.

This book was on a list for a summer course I was taking on Critical Literacy.

I could not help crying for the goodness of this man's soul...and because I have such a long way to go.

Liam Nolan, the author, was a journalist, I believe. He delivers the story in a journalistic manner.
Esther
Wow! This is inspiring reading. Kiyoshi (Uncle John) Watanabe, a Japanese interpreter (he knew English) with the Japanese army in occupied Hong Kong aided the enemy, British and Canadians, in prison camp, hospital and internment camp because he loved God and saw them as people in need. He was a Lutheran pastor. His wife and a daughter were killed in Hiroshima. He found life hard but still loved and served God.
Emerson
War dehumanizes. Makes us into self preservationists. War allows wrongs to seem necessary or even right. Watanabe tried to do the right thing in impossible situation, not only did he save lives, but he helps to remind us that love is stronger than hate.
Drew Mashburn
An inspirational true story of a Japanese man's faith in midst of WWII Japan. He was loyal to Japan while struggling with the cruelty war brings out in his fellow countrymen.
Greg Gudson
Greg Gudson marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Kyle&jamie
Kyle&jamie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2012
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
Once in August Long Ago: A Week in the Life of an Autistic Boy The Life Of Smetana: The Pain And The Glory Secret Victory: Ireland and the War at Sea 1914-1918 Secret Victory: Ireland & the War at Sea 1914-1918 Secret Victory: Ireland & the War at Sea 1914-1918: Cobh and the War at Sea 1914-1918