Start by marking “Westward the Dream (Ribbons West, #1)” as Want to Read:
Westward the Dream (Ribbons West, #1)

Westward the Dream (Ribbons West #1)

As the U.S. descends into the Civil War, photographer Brenton Baldwin travels west with his sister Jordana, taking pictures of the developing lands and in search of their sister. Along for the trip is young Caitlan O'Connor, who has just arrived from Ireland. Will they make it to California to find their family despite the danger that looms ahead? And can early romance gro ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Westward the Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Westward the Dream

Zoe Race
Jul 06, 2016 Zoe Race rated it liked it
I just finished Westward the Dream. I gave it 3 stars though I wanted to give 2 in the middle (most of the time.) Interesting main idea and everything, but it was SO long, slow, boring! I thought the book was less than 400 pages, but it seemed over 500!
Okay, some places I wanted to give 5 stars (like in the action parts) and I loved everyone's thoughts and feelings. They seem so real, but the problem was there were like half a dozen perspectives. Was kind of hard to follow sometimes. Also it irr
Julie B
Dec 12, 2011 Julie B rated it liked it
I was on a Tracie Peterson feast, reading all I could with her name on it. Although I did enjoy this story and will probably read the rest of the series, it took a lot longer to read and I didn't enjoy it quite so much as some of her other novels/series
Stacey Head
Mar 28, 2016 Stacey Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I couldn't come up with a better word for this story than awesome. Once again I was swept away in the world that was related. I'm looking forward to reading the next book :-)
Patricia
Jan 15, 2017 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down!

I chose four stars because I reserve five star for extraordinary, This is the first book by these authors I have read. Very well written book of Civil War era of the Baldwin family. Characters are interesting...storyline reflecting events of that era....book of faith!
Trish Smith
Dec 16, 2016 Trish Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written book

I really like the way this story is told. It is a wholesome story without it taking away from the humanity of it. The hardships and desires crest challenges and are concurred. Well done.
reta durbin
Oct 05, 2016 reta durbin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traveling West!

Very enjoyable reading. Definitely a part of a series, but also complete as a stand alone book. Clean, well written, interesting!
Rebekah_moreradiance.com
Sep 29, 2016 Rebekah_moreradiance.com rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book just moved along way too slow. I realize this is part of a series but the book ended with WAY too many unresolved conflicts and issues with the characters. It also had some content that was just downright unrealistic or inappropriate... Such as Victoria getting friendly with another man (which she did admit was wrong). I enjoyed parts of the story but I won't keep reading the series.
Joleen
There were two major stories in this book...
1) Caitlan, an 18 year old Irish girl is sent away from a potentially dangerous situation to America where her much older brother is living. A letter to Brenton and Jordana Baldwin (brother and sister, who's parents are in Russia for an extended work related stay) let them know she will be arriving by ship soon, to NYC, where they live. This was such a surprise, but they soon become fast friends, even though the difference in their social status is hug
Kay Smith
Sep 18, 2016 Kay Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: i-give-up
SO POORLY WRITTEN.
I just can't. Two chapters is all I could take.

So slow.
So...crawling.
The characters--meh. I could not stay in their heads.

Can't do it; there's nothing I enjoyed about it.

I would give it one star, but I feel like that's unfair, since I only gave it two chapters to impress me. So three stars it is.
Mariah H
Sep 18, 2016 Mariah H rated it really liked it
Very good, I have read the rest of the series and they are all very well done.
Beverly McCall
Mar 20, 2016 Beverly McCall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith Pella and Tracie Peterson have done a wonderful job collaborating on this Christian western romance. We are introduced to the Baldwin family and their adventures in the building of the West in connection with the transpacific railroad. In this book we learn to love each of the members of the Baldwin family as well as their extended family. The female protagonist that stands out for me is Jordana. We see her emerge from an adolescent into a woman. The authors did a superb job in her charac ...more
Tweety
Mar 12, 2014 Tweety rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like continuations
I feel that I have been cheated. The book ends, and nothing is resolved, the ribbons are still not in a bow, they are flying free. Which leaves me dissatisfied. I liked Jordana, she was a free spirit. I even liked G.W. yes, he did behave like a child when disappointed. But his pride was dealt a hard blow and who doesn't act like a kid now and then? I also liked a minor character Captain Richard O'brien. I would like to hear more of these characters. Unfortunately, since there was five points of ...more
Tanx
Jan 14, 2015 Tanx rated it liked it
This book is quite hard to review... while I like all the characters & how they care for each other, I find there is actually little to no plot at all. Other than 3 people going west and 2 more couples in this book, plus a lot of railway history included (which I don't mind), nothing much was going on.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy reading this, because I did. And I want to know more about Jordana in the 3rd book.
But I'm disappointed with the lack of drama/action, when this book could be so g
Mandy
May 18, 2016 Mandy rated it liked it
I loved the characters and found them very easy to relate to. I was a bit disappointed at the ending, but I know this is a series so I would need to read on to find out what happens with the characters. At times the book lacked depth, I wanted to read more into the people and their thoughts/emotions. In addition, I felt like the timeline moved so quickly, I was left feeling like I missed things here and there (perhaps that is just because I love details so much). Over all, a great story and fun ...more
Melody Nagel
Too long without a direction

This book only deserved a three star rating, because of how long it took to get through this story. Only one exciting part about three quarters into the book, and it truly did not make up for the plodding into this tale. I understand there are more books in this series, but this person will not pay or read them. I only read Christian fiction similar to this book, but there was not enough references backed by biblical passages. I was mildly disappointed.
Carolyn
Jul 21, 2013 Carolyn rated it liked it
It was cute, not my favorite of Pella's books, but I liked it enough to plan on checking out the sequel from the library. I think the high lights of this book was definitely the historicity of the railroad that started out in California and the process of getting such a project started - it was very accurate historically and she did a good job weaving in fictional characters.
Chelsea
Jul 13, 2016 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-favorites
Debby Baumgartner
The Baldwins travel west to find their sister leaving behind the Civil War in the east. They take with them the sister of their brother-in-law who just arrived from Ireland. Along the way Brenton takes pictures of the west to send back to business men who are thinking in investing in the building of a railroad.
Lynda Knapp
Apr 01, 2016 Lynda Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

This wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was an adventure. A very good adventure with Brenton, Jordana, and Caitlin traveling west, meanwhile another story is playing itself out with Brenton and Jordana's sister and brother-in-law. I would recommend this book. I do enjoy reading books by Judith Pella and Tracie Peterson.
Janice Bates
May 10, 2016 Janice Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure and Romance Aplenty!

From a strict boarding school of highly intelligent young Eastern ladies and daily news of the War Between the States in the East to goldmines and railroad pioneers in California, Westward the Dream has it all. Very well written, clean Christian romance.
Elizabeth Sintes
Westward the Dream

What is not to like. This story was so very good. I felt like I was in every scene. They are such good writers and you feel every pain,joy, and excitement the three went through.
Phyllis Stinson
Excellent Historical Fiction

The only reason this isn't getting a 5 star is because it was left without closure. They do that to make you go get the next one in the set but I never do! Make each one a mini novel and I'll read them all.
Charlene Davis
Mar 17, 2016 Charlene Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The weaker sex"

Very good. Great struggles for 4 woman of different ages and social standing when the railroad was still an idea from California meeting up with the east coast railways
Melissa
Apr 04, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of faith

I enjoyed the message and the story of faith in this book. I enjoyed meeting the characters and learning their stories.
Michelle Sames
Mar 13, 2016 Michelle Sames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read

This was an interesting book that blended a historical setting with an interesting story line while promoting more modern appreciation of geographic diversity.
Angie Adair
Mar 05, 2016 Angie Adair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars Historical.

Tracie Peterson always does her homework. This book did not fail. Full of facts of history. I am anxious to see where these characters go on their next journey.
Jonathan Ford
Jul 03, 2016 Jonathan Ford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want more

Anxious to read. more of the adventure of the BAldwins. These authors work well together with historical information woven with characters
Tami
May 16, 2016 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story - but feel I need the rest of the series as there were no conclusions to the story lines. I want to know how it ends.
Ratforce
Judith Pella’s Ribbons of the West series is Christian Historical fiction dealing with pioneers and the railroad expansion. This is the first book in the series.
Yewande Olamiju
May 19, 2016 Yewande Olamiju rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book and wished I had the next book in the series. Look forward to seeing where everyone's story goes
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 06, 2015 06:06PM
  • A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles, #3)
  • A New Dawn Over Devon (Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall, #4)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
Judith Pella is a bestselling, award-winning author whose writing career spans two decades. Her in-depth historical and geographical research combines with her skillful storytelling to provide readers with dramatic, thought-provoking novels. She and her husband make their home in Scapoose, Oregon.
More about Judith Pella...

Ribbons West (3 books)
  • Separate Roads (Ribbons West, #2)
  • Ties That Bind (Ribbons West, #3)