Start by marking “Strega Nona's Harvest” as Want to Read:
Strega Nona's Harvest

Strega Nona's Harvest (Strega Nona #9)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  56 reviews
An all-new Strega Nona picture book on the heels of the New York Times Bestseller Brava, Strega Nona! Tomie dePaola’s beloved character Strega Nona is back in a colorful picture book, perfect for fall and the changing seasons.

In this humorous tale, Strega Nona attempts to teach Big Anthony about gardening and the importance of order. But when Big Anthony does not follow he
Published September 8th 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Strega Nona's Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strega Nona's Harvest

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
20th out of 176 books — 94 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca SteadThe Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline KellyWhere the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace LinThe Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Newbery 2010
107th out of 107 books — 534 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Tomie dePaola is quickly becoming a household favorite. He's a little lengthy for my preschoolers, however, my 5 yr old loves him. dePaola is educational and enjoyable to read. The illustrations have a unique style all their own that even I enjoy while reading. This one was about our favorite character, Strega Nona and her harvest. Wonderful pictures of planting, gardens, and harvesting, it's a great educational read for any child.
Amy
Honestly, I don't know how my niece and nephew made it through this book. I thought it was so boring! I hate saying that, because I really like Tomie dePaola (Helga's Dowry is one of my most beloved books from childhood), and I liked Strega Nona. I'm a gardener, I should have appreciated this Strega Nona book, but it just dragged! On the plus side, I liked exposing the kids to the Italian phrases in this book, and this one did enable my nephew to exercises his problem-solving skills. His solutio ...more
Hapzydeco
Created in the dePaola tradition, this picture book makes for a perfect read for Thanksgiving season. Strega Nona teaches Big Anthony about gardening and the importance of order.
Monica Jung

dePaola, Tomie. Strega Nona's Harvest. G.P. Putnam's Sons. New York, 2009.

Target Audience: Kindergarden to Grade 2

It's hard not to like a Strega Nona story. Tomie DePaloa does a great job telling the story of growing a garden and sharing it with friends. The fun part of the story is that Big Anthony makes his own garden unbeknownst to anyone else. The garden flourishes and he piles all the crops in front of Strega Nona's door every morning. The harvest is shared with the town's people but even i
Laura Verret
Every year Strega Nona waits until spring has broken, and then she uses seeds from last year’s garden to plant a beautiful garden. She insists that every row be straight and all of the vegetables be arranged just so. Big Anthony thinks it is all a lot of fuss for nothing – why, he’s sure he could just throw the vegetables in any old way, and they’d grow just fine…

Funnies ensue.

Strega Nona insists on waiting until the moon is full to plant her garden and sings this song to the moon,

O Bella Luna
Whole And
A beautiful story of precise and wholehearted garden planning, planting and harvesting. Srega Nona is perfect in this manner. However, Big Anthony has a nagging sense he wants to plant his own garden. And so he does, a secret garden, prepared in haste but the harvest is gorgeous. So much so, that when the villagers run out of vegetables because their gardens didn't do as well, Strega Nona is able to donate many many vegetables which mysteriously show up in her storehouse! Big Anthony keeps his s ...more
Josiah
I'm sure that this 2009 Strega Nona book is as eagerly anticipated by those of all ages as the first one, published in 1975 to great acclaim, and a favorite of every generation since.

As in Strega Nona, Big Anthony's ambition and absent-minded nature cause him to go overboard and create something far bigger than he intended. In fact, the first half of this book is very similar to Strega Nona, almost like a retelling of that story, except instead of out-of-control pasta, Big Anthony is growing a
Tessa Joy
Strega Nona is planting her yearly garden with the help of Big Anthony and Bambolona. Strega Nona instructs them on how they should plant the seeds. Big Anthony wants to grow his own garden but not in such a strict way as Strega Nona suggests. Big Anthony haphazardly plants his secret seeds behind the goat shed. Then he performs Strega Nona’s nightly ritual to aid the plant’s growth. After Strega Nona harvested all of her produce, Big Anthony begins to secretly leave his over abundant produce at ...more
Destiny Dawn Long
On one hand, I enjoyed the idea of introducing kids to Italian words. On the other, since there was no pronunciation guide included, it can leave parents and others floundering with unfamiliar words. I recognized some of the words, and others I was able to sound out easily because I had some exposure to Italian during chorus and voice lessons... but there were a few where I really had no idea. Made for a slightly awkward bedtime reading.

However, I did like the basic story of gardening. And Anth
Eva Leger
I was kind of surprised Julia liked this. If only because of the illustrations and Julia's taste. But, she surprised me.
The description has been given on here so I'll skip that. I think adults will like the illustrations more than the children but maybe that's just us.
It's a quick story also, it looks like it'll take longer to read than it actually does.
I have to be honest and admit that it hasn't stayed with me at all. Usually I can look at one of Julia's books that I read days or weeks, som
Agnes
Strega Nona strives for perfection with her garden planted during a full moon, which yields many veggies, not only on her plot but also on Big Anthony's secret plot. At the harvest feast she shares with the rest of the town residents who didn't have a good harvest.

The Italian phrases are followed with their English equivalent, which make this book playful but accessible. Pink and other warm hues dominate the illustrations always separated from the text in rectangular boxes. The veggie and shari
Vivi
My daughter loves this book, she recognizes Strega Nona from the earlier book "Strega Nona takes a vacation". This one discuss about seed and growing vegetables based on moon calendar. I find myself singing the exact same tune to Strega Nona's moon song.
Megan
This is another fun Strega Nona book about planting seeds to harvest in the garden. Poor Big Anthony has yet to learn his lesson. Stega Nona sings to her seeds after planting, followed by three kisses. Big Anthony watches her so he knows what to do with his own garden, then adds three more kisses. Thus, Big Anthony's garden continuously produces vegetables that he cannot use. He leaves them on the steps of Stega Nona's house and she eventually invites the village for dinner. Great for young chil ...more
Jenn
Bright and Beautiful. A great book for big and little gardeners with an added lesson of sharing our abundance.
Asho
This was our first Strega Nona book. We came across it in one of our library book bundles. I'll have to admit that I didn't quite get to read the entire thing because my son started "helping" me to turn the pages and I didn't want to discourage him so I sort of summarized the last few pages based on the pictures as he flipped through them. He obviously was intrigued by the colorful pictures. I liked the Italian phrases. I wasn't terribly fascinated by the story, but I'd be willing to try other S ...more
Patricia
Strega Nona and Big Anthony compete in gardening. Strega Nona's garden is neat, tidy, and meticulous. Big Anthony's is a gigantic, overflowing mess. They store Strega Nona's vegetables in the root cellar and kitchen rafters, but Big Anthony doesn't know what to do with his. Without knowing, Strega Nona helps him, over and over again...
Karen Arendt
Strega Nona plants her garden every spring and offers her secret ingredient to ensure it grows well. Anthony wants to prove his sister that he can do things perfect, too. He grows his own garden, though not as perfectly as Strega Nona. Anthony needs to find something to do with his harvest and puts it on Strega Nona's doorstep each night. Strega nona needs to find a place to put all the extra harvest and has a feast for the town.
Mona Al-kazemi
Before reading this book, it's better if you read the original story of Strega Nona and her helper, Anthony, because this story seems to be a sequel to the previous.

Strega Nona's planning for the harvest can be a model for any other project in life for which you need to prepare well and organize the steps. As for Anthony, who can't even properly imitate Strega Nona, at least his mistake benefited the whole village. ;)

The Library Lady
The internal logic doesn't work as well in this one. Why is Anthony's untidy garden more productive than Strega Nona's? He says the magic rhyme correctly--with the 3 kisses, so is the lesson here that messy gardens do better than neat ones? I mean, I like that considering what MY garden looks like :D But it doesn't make sense here.

Enjoyable, like all the Strega Nona books, but somehow less cohesive.
Dina
Big Anthony still has a lot to learn--this time about gardening. He watches Strega Nona carefully, but his garden doesn't look quite the same. In the end both gardens flourish, but Anthony's is a lot harder to harvest. Strega Nona preserves her produce to use during the year. Just when she thinks she's done someone starts leaving more produce on her doorstep at night. Just fun.
Dolly
Nov 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love Tomie dePaola's stories, especially the ones about Strega Nona. And this book does not disappoint. It's a funny book about a very bountiful harvest and I love that Strega Nona donates the excess food to charity. Our girls love the illustrations and the silly "Big Anthony." We've read this one a few times.
Youth Services
Who doesn't love Strega Nona? In this installment, Strega Nona is getting ready to plant her garden, and begins with her usual mix of good sense and magic. And as usual, Big Anthony copies her, but not in the exact right way, resulting in garden mayhem! A great story with lovely pictures that kids will enjoy studying.

Lisle Library Call #: E DEP
Janet
Okay so I am a gardener and a great fan of dePaola which makes this title charming to me. I liked the fact that Strega Nona couldn't figure out why she had so many vegetables and as for Big Anthony he gave his garden two sets of kisses to make it prosper. Strega Nona only gave one set. Always enjoy the Italian phrases.
Izlinda
I didn't find this book had as much charm as Tomie dePaola's older Strega Nona books. Big Anthony causes problems, as usual, when he doesn't listen to Strega Nona. However, he wasn't caught like usual. I did find Strega Nona's solution handy and quick, though.
April Scheivelhud
This is a great story about harvesting and planting seeds. Also, the element of sharing with others is in this book. Strega Nona is a wonderful Italian grandmother that incorporates a little Italiano into her lingo. Fun story.
Dayna
Another one to read in the cold months when we are garden planning. Big Anthony is up to his usual antics...and is saved by Strga Nona's kind heart - as she donates the over abundance to those who had a bad garden season.
Kristin Hamley
I don't like this one quite as well as the original Strega Nona, which I adore, but it is still very sweet. I love the Italian language sprinkled in and like that it shows the process of planning and growing a garden.
Cherie