Start by marking “The Game of My Life: A True Story of Challenge, Triumph, and Growing Up Autistic” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Now in paperback: ?An impressive achievement...Not likely to be forgotten anytime soon.?(Washington Times)

Here is the riveting true story of Jason McElwain? better known as ?J-Mac??the autistic student who made headlines when he scored twenty points, including a school record six three-pointers, for his high school basketball team in 2006. Including the revealing perspecti
Published February 3rd 2009 by NAL (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Game of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game of My Life

Michael Young
Genre: Sports, Autobiography, Memoir

Rating: *****
Wow! The Game of My Life is gripping, emotional and packed with fun memories, stories and insights from the perspective of a high school students who lives with autism.

Summary:
As a senior, Jason (J-Mac) shatters expectations in reaching for his dreams on a New York basketball court. This is the story of a boy who grew up autistic and brought focus into his life to reach a goal.

Main Characters:
Jason (J-Mac): high school student, autistic, huge bask
Josh
The Game of My Life is an inspiring book about a Jason McElwain who must overcome obstacles such as autism throughout his life. This book not only describes the great game that Jason had at his final basketball game as a Greece Athena Trojan but his struggles early in his life to learn new things and be like a “normal kid’. When Jason was a small child he would always sit in the corner of his kitchen and not speak to anyone but his brother Josh. As Jason got older his parents would hope that he ...more
Andrew Keller
When I watched ESPN’s Sportscenter on the morning of February 16th, 2006, I was amazed by what I witnessed. The top play of the day highlighted a high school basketball game only 20 minutes from my home (which initially caught my attention) where an autistic student had scored 20 points in less than 4 minutes. The student, Jason “J-Mac” McElwain, became an instant celebrity within his school, town, and eventually the world. With this new recognition, he went on to share his story inspiring ever ...more
Katy-Del
Jason McElwain was the autistic kid in 2006 who got to play in the last game of the season with his Varisty basket ball team and scored 20 points in the last 3 minutes of the game. The video was all over everywhere, because it was just so neat to see. Mostly, it is Jason telling the story of beong the team manager for several years and how he got into the game and the game itself. He talks a little about school and being autistic and just normal life stuff. He talks about how weird it was, all t ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Many people probably remember hearing about Jason McElwain on the news back in 2006. He scored a record six three-point shots for his high school basketball team. That might not have been outstanding for a superior high school player, but Jason was the team manager, not a first string player. And, in addition to that, he was a young man diagnosed as autistic.

In THE GAME OF MY LIFE, Jason McElwain tells his story. He shares what he
Bailey
The Game of my life by Jason “J-Mac” McElwain is a memoir describing Jason’s extraordinary life. Jason tells his story about how his autism didn't stop him from achieving his dream. In Jason’s senior year of high school on senior night of basketball he got to play and showed everyone in that gymnasium what he could do.
February 15, 2006 in the high school gymnasium in a suburb of Rochester, New York home of the Greece Athena Trojans, Jason McElwain acquired the court for the varsity basketball g
Fibrie Permata
Buku perjuangan Jason McElwain yang menderita autisme, namun tetap memiliki semangat juang yang tinggi. Masa kecilnya memang berbeda dengan kebanyakan anak normal. Keluarganya berusaha sebaik mungkin untuk menyembuhkan Jason. Hingga suatu saat, dia berhasil mencetak poin kemenangan dalam sebuah pertandingan basket Sekolah Menengah Greece Athena Trojans. Mencetak dua puluh poin, termasuk rekor sekolah enam kali three-pointer. Jason atau yang dikenal akrab dengan panggilan J-Mac pernah mendapat pe ...more
Dan
Jason “J-Mac” McElwain, team manager of the Greece Athena Trojans was given the opportunity to play in the senior night varsity basketball game by his coach. After missing his first shot by about six feet, the five foot six inch senior went on to scored twenty points in a four minutes and nineteen seconds. His amazing moment became one of the most sought after sport stories around the United States in 2006. One of the reasons: Jason was born severely autistic.

Daniel Paisner, a ghost writer, doe
Bert Edens
This is easily one of the most inspirational books I've ever read. It would be that even if I didn't have a special needs son, one who reminds me a lot of Jason "J-Mac" McElwain, even though my son has not been diagnosed with autism.

The best thing about this book was the majority of it being told by McElwain's voice. It reads like it was written by a teenager with autism, and that's a good thing. It adds to the honesty of the book. It was so nice to read about McElwain's life growing up and how
Jonah
I appreciated this book for two reasons. Reason #1: It was written in the voice of Jason "J-Mac" McElwain (the author) who is autistic, so that alone gave me insight into what it is like being autistic. His narrative was repetitive in spots, but autistic people need repetition in order to feel safe. In addition to this, a section of the novel goes a little bit more in depth with references to authorities giving the reader further insight about autism. Reason #2: the book is about basketball, my ...more
Aaron Thompson
This novel is an true inspiration. Jason had always dreamed to play basketball, to be the big man on campus. He practiced day in day out!! He was blessed to have parents,teachers and coaches that backed him and gave him the support that he need to reach his goals. That night of his senior year was amazing and life changing! This was an emotional moment in the life of Jason's family!! They had always worried about Jason and how his life would turn out but now the saw him as a hero standing amongs ...more
Krista Stevens
Great story of "J-Mac" - the basketball manager of his senior basketball team who was put in for the final game and scored more than 20 points - went viral. I like that although much of this book was written with another writer, J-Mac narrates much of it including what it was like to grow up autistic (with vignettes added in from his family, coaches, friends, etc.).

Some struggling readers may be confused by the folding-blanket plot line - it doesn't proceed in chronological order and by the shi
I have mixed feelings about this book. I love that it's a story of overcoming odds. I love that it's written by "J-Mac" in his own voice so it is an authentic telling of the story. While I understand the "J-Mac" loves basketball and that Senior Night game was a tremendous moment for him, I did not enjoy all of the talk about basketball and I would've liked more about his life outside of basketball. I think this book would be a great read for those who are basketball fans, but if you're like me a ...more
Miguel Sanchez
The Game Of My Life is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. Jason "J-Mac" McElwain shows you how much you should live every day like it's your last in his story. Jason is a boy that has autism, bu that doesn't stop him from reaching his dreams. HIS dream was to play in a varsity basketball game and that dream comes reality when his coach puts him in for thier sneior night. He not only gets to go in but he also makes some point. Never give up on your dreams. Great book to read, I rea ...more
Sean
This book was a very insparational story and was a great example of how you should never give up. I would recommend this book to everyone who loves to read an inspiaring story, any sports fan, and especially anyone that has a kid with disabilities or has disabilities themselves. At some points I did lose interest in the book because of the reading level, but overall it was a very good book and I hope that all of you will give this book a shot as well!
John Walz
I think this book is really cool. I have had the opportunity to meet J mac multiple times and he is a very nice guy. I think it is cool that his coach gave him the opportunity to play in that last game. I think it is wrong that the kids locked him in the gym and other things that they did. J mac lives for basketball. He is also really smart about cross country. This is a very good book. I would strongly suggest this book to people.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
I know almost nothing about basketball, but it didn't matter; this book can make a deep impression on anyone. The Game of My Life gives a small but eye-opening glimpse into the life of "a tremendous young man who happens to be autistic," mostly because Jason himself wrote it. Yes, the narrative might be slightly repetitive, but the story of Jason's struggles and triumph is well worth it.
Dave
I really enjoyed this book and was taken by the many similarities between the development of Jason McElwain and my own autistic son, especially with regard to the role that sports and having an older brother to emulate played in their growth.

I found myself chuckling out loud while reading some passages, and crying over others. I think this book is great.
Athalia Stoneback
Great job, Jason, "J-Mac" for an incredible job, not only on the basketball court, but in telling your story. You are inspirational to us all. It was also neat to read the others' perspectives, and have J-Mac respond to them. Admittedly, the book felt a little slow in the beginning, but it picked up once J-Mac started narrating.
Alicia
Mar 10, 2008 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone but especially those with autism or know someone with autism. It gives you hope.
This book really shows you how kids with autism strugggle with daily life. Also if you are someone like me who dosent think making like 4 3 point shots in a 4 minute time period youll change your mind after reading this book. I was really pigheaded to think that and see know how amazing it really is.
Linda
This was a great book about the video that went around a while ago about the autistic boy who sunk shot after shot at his high school's basketball game. It was touching, mostly because Jason, himself, was the author.

Video link:
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2009 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school boys
Recommended to Elizabeth by: School librarian
I enjoyed reading Jason "J-Mac" McElwain's account (with some help from Daniel Paisner) of his Senior Night basketball experience. I particularly appreciated Mr. Paisner's allowing Jason's voice as an individual with autism to be heard in the story.
Kathy Cooper
Great Story, Jason Mc Elwain autistic teenager got to play varsity basketball on Senior night and scored 20 points in under 4 minutes. Told in his own words about his passion for the game.
Tree
It was alright as far as books about the personal experience of having autism go. I think it was probably a better sports story because my husband and his friends loved it. I only liked it.
Laurel
Heartwarming and inspiring story of a young man who overcame his diagnosis and achieved his wildest dream, setting school basketball records in the process.
Kaeli
I started to read this, but it didn't grab me. Would probably be a great read for those teaching or living with autistic children.
Rebecca
This can be a tough read, it is written by a person with Autism. This is a great job and a wonderful uplifting book to read.
Mikell
A great and inspirational story. He actually came to my school and talked, then played in a basketball game
Rob Welch
Fantastic book... if all of us could have the healthy outlook of this young man, we'd be better for it!
  • Strange Son
  • Eleven Seconds: A Story of Tragedy, Courage & Triumph
  • Not My Turn to Die: Memoirs of a Broken Childhood in Bosnia
  • My Brother Charlie
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • The Boy Who Loved Tornadoes
  • Boy Alone: A Brother's Memoir
  • Now I See the Moon: A Mother, a Son, a Miracle
  • There's a Boy in Here: Emerging from the Bonds of Autism
  • Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Journal of C. J. Jackson, a Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935  (My Name Is America)
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Bronx Primitive: Portraits in a Childhood