Start by marking “My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
My Father's World

Michael R. Phillips

My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  627 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
As the wagon train made its descent from the mountains, the warm colors of autumn tried in vain to cheer the weary young travelers. Their mother had perished in the desert, and they had heard that their father was dead some years before. With the help of the wagon master, fifteen-year-old Corrie Belle Hollister is the only one left to bring her two brothers and two sisters ...more
Hardcover
Published by Five Star (ME) (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about My Father's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father's World

Mary
Mar 14, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reprint of the story of a young girl and siblings who lose their mother on the trail from the East USA to the very new West. Already without a father, the oldest daughter, Corrie, struggles to take the place of a mother when still somewhat of a child herself. Her mother taught her some important things, however, to be strong and use her skills at writing and keep a journal/diary. Fortunately she finds some special people that want to help her find her Uncle that she is looking for and a place ...more
Lyndalou
Oct 18, 2015 Lyndalou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Oct 28, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast, easy read. It is not heavy and would be suitable for upper elementary children to read, both in content and reading level (other than some dialogue that spells characters' accents phonetically, which might confuse some kids at first). It is not a bad book, but neither is it one that blows you away reading it. The story is interesting enough, and the characters likeable enough, that I will continue reading the rest of the series (there are 5 in all).
Ratforce
This is the first in the Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister series. It is narrated by a teenage girl whose parents die during their journey west, and she must care for her siblings. The style, composed entirely of journal entries, makes this book both vivid and readable, and the authors often appeal to fans of Al & JoAnna Lacy.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book series is really good! I found the first book good, but it is a little bit boring.. Don't give up though because the rest are REALLY REALLY good!!!!!
Lydia Hulin
I loved it! It's fun to read but does not feed your spirit.
Faith
Jan 18, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book it's one of my favorites
Jennifer Robb
I learned some important lessons on forgiveness from this series so it will always hold a place in my memory.
Megan
Nov 02, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good quick read that was as heartwarming now as it was 25 years ago. I have always loved this series!
M. W.
Sep 01, 2014 M. W. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent historical fiction. I plan to read the entire series and place in our church library.
Michelle
Sorting through some paperwork, and discovered my note to add these to GoodReads.
Norma Fisher
Seemed more for younger ladies.
Lydia Carson
Mar 05, 2015 Lydia Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book about a young girl who traveled in a wagon train from New York to California back in the days of the gold rush. Her mother passed away on the journey leaving Corrie to fend for her younger siblings while trying to find her Uncle.
Anne Gooch
May 17, 2013 Anne Gooch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Michael Philips so to me this was another great book. I didn't know when I got this book that this was printed first in 1990 and the copy I read was reprinted in 2011. I have the whole series and I am I looking forward to reading them all! As you can tell by the cover this book is set back in the 1800's so if you are a fan of that time era and if you enjoy a good Christian book then this book will be for you :)
Rebecca Martin
Mar 28, 2014 Rebecca Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice book about the love and forgiveness between family members and the need to reach out to those in need, even if they are strangers. I really liked it because it was set in Northern California close to where I live.
Amanda
May 04, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical fiction book about a girl (who is the oldest of five kids) that goes west with her mother to find her uncle. Her mother dies on the trail west and the book comes from her perspective. The cover says that it is The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister but to me the book isn't told from a 14-15 year old girl.
Ruth
Apr 08, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gut wrenching story of a family divided & separated in the early 1800's. An inspirational read w/ several books in the series. Good for entire families to read together or male,or female of age 10 to adult. A must read for lovers of the old west who like positive characters & heroes & heroines alike.
Alicia Veldman
Easy to figure out the outcome of this story from the very beginning. Parts of the book dragged along. I decided to not invest time in reading the books that followed in this series. One of the few Phillips books I would not recommend.
Jun 14, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anyone has a chance to read this series, please do. Corrie takes you through the struggles of a journey west through the aftermath of the Civil. The authors write from Corrie's perspective giving the book a journalistic feel.
Marnie
Dec 21, 2012 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a great series for girls ages 10-13 as it features a character coming across the US by wagon train in the mid 1800's.
Candice
I found myself really into it in the beginning, then toward the end kind of tapered off, but a nice story.
Blessedmommy22
I thought this book was soooo boring. I think I like romance better & this book definitely wasn't romance!
Penny
Aug 29, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about the California Gold Rush and how a family pulls itself together
Jackie
Sep 20, 2015 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book fell a little flat for me, but not terrible.
Partridge Public
Nov 09, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Phillips/Pella INSP
Shelves: inspirational
Phillips,Michael/Pella, Judith PB
Jane Winningham
Jane Winningham marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Bonnie L Tomlinson
Bonnie L Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jordyn
Jordyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
christine edwards
christine edwards rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Ljoshua
Ljoshua is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2016
  • Second Chance Family
  • A Vision of Lucy (A Rocky Creek Romance, #3)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall (Shiloh Legacy #2)
  • The Saintly Buccaneer: 1777 (The House of Winslow)
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, #2)
  • The Pirate and His Lady (Buccaneers #2)
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Phillips has been writing in the Christian marketplace for 30 years. All told, he has written, co-written, and edited some 110 books. Phillips and his wife live in the U.S., and make their second home in Scotland.
More about Michael R. Phillips...

The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister (8 books)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • On the Trail of the Truth (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #3)
  • A Place in the Sun (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #4)
  • Sea to Shining Sea (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #5)
  • Into the Long Dark Night (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #6)
  • Land of the Brave and the Free (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #7)
  • A Home for the Heart (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #8)