Start by marking “Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)

Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,404 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Romance and happiness blossoms at the Happy Cafe! Uru takes her mother's remarriage as an opportunity to work part time at the Happy Cafe. There, she befriends Ichirou and Shindou, two of the most unsociable guys she's ever met! To make matters worse, it turns out that Uru is not exactly meant for the waitressing world, as she's a huge klutz. But as this hilarious shoujo t ...more
Published January 12th 2010 by TokyoPop (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Cafe, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Cafe, Vol. 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
49th out of 636 books — 1,431 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
33rd out of 276 books — 530 voters

More lists with this book...

Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
I admit it. When I first read the synopsis of this manga I rolled my eyes & thought "another stereotypical 'let's get the boy' manga". As some of my other reviews can testify, sometimes I'm proven wrong about my first initial impression of something. This manga was adorable. I'm not going to bother giving a manga synopsis as there's already another review here that does that quite well. I'm just going to jump to my review.

Frankly, I really enjoyed this manga. There were parts of it that made
Lesley
Apr 05, 2010 Lesley rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS. It is everything I like about shojo - it's hilarious, the characters are charming, the romance is sweet, the characters are all really interesting and fun, the character designs are great, and now I'm totally addicted. The story is pretty generic and stereotypical, but the charm of the humor and the characters carries it into fabulous land.

I don't actually own this yet - a person doing a scanlation of Skip Beat (<3) recommended it, and I read all that there is online in one day,
Kayla Loewen
Dec 25, 2015 Kayla Loewen rated it really liked it
Okay, so I know this is really typical shojo manga; you can practically predict everything that's going to happen. So Why?!?! Why do I like it so much?? What's wrong with me.....
Anastasia Antonova
Jan 30, 2016 Anastasia Antonova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Светлая история, наполненная запахом клубничного мусса и легкой меланхолией.
"Кофейня счастья с третьей улицы" действительно милое произведение. На протяжении всего прочтения я не могла сдержать улыбки, ведь эти персонажи, сама история источают доброту. Я влюбилась в героев с первого взгляда, как в главных, так и во второстепенных.
Главная "троица" радовала до самого конца. Эта привычка Ичиро засыпать и просыпаться только когда ему в рот засунут еду, эта "цундерность" Шиндо, и проглядывающие скв
Jessica-Robyn
RATING: 2.5 STARS

For me, this wasn't a particularly strong start for the Happy Cafe series. Happy Cafe is a light, bubbly manga with some great promise behind a lack-luster plot and sporadic characters. I'll admit that although Happy Cafe had some really excellent, humorous, cute moments, it didn't have very strong direction when it came to the overall plot of the story.

Uru, is sixteen years old and has decided to live on her own for the first time. While walking down the street she passes by
Keliiyy (Land of Delusions)
Looking for some laugh-out-loud moments? This is the right series!

Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume, also known as Happy Cafe, tells life stories of Uru - a very short girl and is constantly mistaken for an elementary school kid, but despite that, she is ridiculously strong and decides to live by herself after her mother gets remarried. She has a very bubbly, optimistic personality. Basically she is like a walking sun, so bright and full of life.
description

She ends up working at a small cafe with two rather unique
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 24, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Happy Cafe (or, Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume in Japanese) is Kou Matsuzuki's debut series. This is a breezy slice of life story centered around the theme of helping people uncover and then achieve their own measure of happiness. As such, this is the first book in a long series of side stories using the three main characters as the glue that keeps the plot together. Some stories will get more serious and others will stay ligh
Buttons
What to say about this manga...
The style takes some getting used to, it is very simplistic most of the time and I did not like that when I started reading, I thought it looked cheap. However, after a short time I found that the style fits the atmosphere and plot of the manga perfectly! I really like the simple story and the atmosphere, it's the kind of manga you want to cuddle and give candy to because it is just adorable.
I don't like it when it gets too corny and am very pleased to say that t
Rosie
Nov 10, 2011 Rosie rated it really liked it
An inhuman super strong girl, a gangster baker, and a guy who falls asleep when he's hungry. This manga is a laugh-out-loud sweet shoujo story! I thought this was hilarious and really sweet!
Sherish Bustamante
Sep 07, 2010 Sherish Bustamante rated it it was amazing
Uber funny.. i remember Coffee Prince it's some what alike..
Boo
Nov 06, 2015 Boo rated it liked it
Surprisingly I liked it even more than what I expected. The art is very similar to Beast Master, Vol. 1, lots of chibis, blank faces, surprised or shocked expressions... all of these make the manga funny.

Uru is also a very funny main character, but this style of girl in a shoujo bores me pretty quickly. The kind of girl that is always positive, full of energy, clunsy and whom everyone likes. Besides, she is falling in love with Shindou very quickly; so we know where this heads on: tears and whin
Zephyrm
Dec 17, 2015 Zephyrm rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ya
I'm not a huge fan of shojo, but I have been trying to branch out and read different types of manga. I must say that Happy Cafe surprised me in a good way. It has elements of your stereotypical shojo plot, but the writing and the slightly different art style makes it something more. There are pages in this book you will most definitely "Awwwwwww!". Uru is adorable, and her quirky coworkers make you love the cafe even more. You can see clearly that Uru and Shindo are being set up as a couple, but ...more
Hannah
Aug 24, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Series Review: Happy Cafe is a sweet and funny manga that is a great light read.The characters are hilarious (often times even the bad guys) and the plot is never boring despite its slower pace. The romance is a slowly developing relationship that is refreshing in a overfilled market of instalove trends. The ending was kinda rushed but cute in its own way. I recommend this manga to those who are looking for a light read.
Shannon
Feb 24, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Christine
Nov 02, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: shoujo manga lovers
Shelves: manga
I've started this manga several years ago, reading the original and I kind of just blew it off since I thought the girl a little irritatingly cheerful, the story plot immensely cliched and the art decent. I cast it off and soon forgot about it. It wasn't until recently when it was published by Tokyopop I remembered this manga. I saw it at the library and I thought, what the heck, why not give it another chance?

And boy, was I glad I gave Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume another chance. I discovered that
que_bella
Apr 27, 2015 que_bella rated it really liked it
It was really great! It seriously was hard not to start laughing in class. So, I went with a couldn't be held back snicker every once in awhile. (people noticed...)

The girl (her name is Japanese) decides to move out when her mother remarries. She's really short and finds a café that people are talking about how happy they are after eating, and goes to see is they're hired. What she finds isn't any normal café. Instead, it's a 'demon-lord' and a weirdo who crashes when he's hungry and won't wake
Miss Kelly
Feb 10, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
I really liked this Manga. I am not really big into Manga, but this wasn't bad. Sweet little book about a girl who lives alone and works at the Happy Cafe with two boys. One boy falls asleep all the time and to keep awake he needs to eat stuff.
Meaghan Steeves
Jul 23, 2015 Meaghan Steeves rated it liked it
While nothing can hold a candle to Kitchen Princess, this was okay. But for the fact that not every volume appears to be released in English or that after volume 2 there aren't any more at my local libraries, I would likely continue this series.
Selena
Jul 08, 2015 Selena rated it really liked it
Interesting story, and the art is okay (necks are kinda long, but it doesn't ruin the story). It's a good read, and it's pretty light too. I could see myself reading this again someday.
Rifatus Sariroh
Jan 01, 2015 Rifatus Sariroh rated it it was amazing
I have read it once. Tapi pas lagi ubek-ubek situs baca manga online, langsung kangen sama manga ini. Konyol dan lucu, tapi ceritanya bagus and I love the positive Uru :D
Sylene
Sep 03, 2014 Sylene rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I really like both of them! And by them, I mean the polar opposite guys...I'll get their names eventually, isn't it... Shidou Satsuki and um... :( I'll get there...
Natalie
May 18, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I guess I would kind of describe this as sort of an airhead comedy.

Note: AKA -- Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume
Anitha
Dec 10, 2014 Anitha rated it it was amazing
Oh man, was this good!!! It was so cute, that i finished the whole series in a couple of days.
Maggie
Jun 29, 2014 Maggie rated it it was amazing
I love this manga! The two boys are cute and the female protagonist is so relatable character.
Phoebe
Jan 25, 2012 Phoebe rated it it was amazing
This is a laugh-out-loud funny book. As soon as read it, I got addicted to the series. The three characters are funny by themselves: clumsy girl with super strength, waiter that needs food in his mouth constantly to stay awake, and anti-social cook that is a softy at heart, but together it is a little like the three stooges with all of the bopping on the head. My only word of caution is that if you like sweets like cheesecake and strawberry shortcake, be prepared to buy one. Every time I read th ...more
Alyssa
Mar 16, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
This manga was very funny and extremely adorable! I LOVED it!
Sereneblaze
This is a very warm, light -hearted and sweet manga. Uru is a high schooler who takes her mother's remarriage as an opportunity to work part time at the "Happy Cafe". There, she befriends Ichirou, another part timer who has an odd habit of falling asleep when he's hungry, and Shindou the pastry chef who isn't always the best at service with a smile. Also, it turns out that Uru is not the ideal waitress , as she's a huge klutz.

If you need a funny and light hearted read I highly recommend this man
Putri
Jan 10, 2011 Putri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Happy Cafe ada di Goodreads!! Yay :D Gak nyangka aku. Ternyata Happy Cafe juga punya fans di Goodreads. Btw, dari 15 jilid Happy Cafe, aku kurang 1 buku, yaitu yang jilid ke-12 -hiks T_T -

Well, saya paling suka ma karakter utamanya, si Uru. Tokoh yang biarpun badannya kecil tapi tenaganya kuat dan yang pasti punya pribadi yang oke: ceria, selalu tersenyum, supel, yah pokoknya keren deh, hehe. Saya juga suka Shindou yang biarpun 'dingin' tapi hatinya lembut dan kebekuan hatinya bisa dilelehka
Samantha
Oct 18, 2015 Samantha rated it liked it
Strange but interesting
Angela Tran
Oct 09, 2015 Angela Tran rated it really liked it
I love this book
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Love So Life, Vol. 1 (Love So life, #1)
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Hana to Akuma, Vol. 01
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 1] (Faster than a Kiss #1)
  • Kiss/Hug, Vol. 01
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 1
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1
  • Dengeki Daisy, Vol. 3 (Dengeki Daisy, #3)
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 1 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 1] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #1)
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 01
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 01 (Barajou no Kiss, #1)
  • Nosatsu Junkie, Volume 1
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 01
  • Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu - Secret Unrequited Love (Volume 1)

Happy Cafe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Happy Cafe, Volume 2
  • Happy Café, Volume 8
  • Happy Café, Volume 9
  • Happy Café, Volume 10
  • Happy Café, Volume 11

“Ichirou: And I went through all the trouble preparing to explode with laughter...That wasn't funny at all!” 11 likes
“Ichirou: Shindou-san. You'd better take the day off. Take the medicine too.

Shindou: I SAID... I DON'T NEED IT.

Uru: Shin-

Ichirou: If that's the case... Would you like to take it mouth-to-mouth or are you going to swallow it yourself?

Shindou: *swallow*

Uru: I-incredible! Ichirou-kun!Though you still got hit!

Ichirou: I'm used to handling people that refuse to take their medicine.”
6 likes