Start by marking “The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran” as Want to Read:
The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran

The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  34 reviews

"Meticulous, comprehensive, indispensable. 'I read the Koran so you don't have to,' Spencer writes—but even for those of us who have read the Koran, this is a richly illuminating work."

—Bruce Bawer, author of Surrender: Appeasing Islam, Sacrificing Freedom and While Europe Slept
Published September 22nd 2009 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran

Lee Harmon
I was disappointed in this book. Whether it’s true or not hardly seems to matter; I was still disappointed.

Spencer hopes to introduce casual readers to the words of the Koran, and he has nothing good to say about it. He compares it to Mein Kampf. Here are some of the chapter titles:

The Muslims’ Worst Enemies: The Koran on the Jews
The Koran on Christians: They’re Not So Hot, Either
The Koran on Women: Crooked and Inferior
The Koran Teaches Nonviolence—Oh, and Violence, Too

Here’s the bottom line: If...more
stormhawk
Unlike many readers of this book, I have read the Koran. I did so some time after 9-11; I have first-hand knowledge of many of the things that Mr. Spencer points out. He does so very clearly and concisely providing examples both of the clear language of the Koran and apologists' spin-doctored versions of the verses.

Stefani
Pretty much the introduction of this book says it all when the author says, "This guide will inevitably be branded as anti-Islamic, as well as bigoted, hateful, and Islamaphobic.....Whether the Koran really says what this guide claims can easily be verified. And if this guide accurately reports its contents that couldn't possibly be an act of hatred or bigotry."

That is the statement of the century. It is very easy to determine if this author is telling the truth, and having read the English tra...more
Jc
Together with Ibn Warraq's "Why I Am Not a Muslim," this is a must read for non-Muslims who wish to understand the background, history, and possible results of the violent forms of Islam that are claiming power today. Well written and a fascinating (and frightening)read.

[NOTE: I forgot to add that I do have one problem with the author and his book: while his criticisms of islam do fit with my other reading, the author tries to sneak in support of conservative christian ideas. I tend to just igno...more
Paula
While not a complete compendium of Islam, for anyone who is interested in how the current conflict came about and how a group with the same God as Jews and Christians could want to kill you because.. well, God said so..(huuruph?)this is a great place to start.

I think any modern English speaking person is aware that most people do not follow their religion to the letter, bacon egg and cheeses and Saturday traffic at the mall -2 general examples-but to pretend that there isn't a significant factio...more
Dawn Roberts
Since I am an Infidel, I thought this book would be a good overview of the Koran for me. I have long intended to read the Koran itself, but lose my motivation for three reasons. First, the Koran is not a collection of chronological teachings, but provides bits and pieces of Muhammed's wisdom without context. Also, Islam teaches that the Koran is to be read only in Arabic. Finally, Islam accepts the Koran as incomplete without the illumination of the Hadith, which has no canonically agreed conten...more
Nicole Marble
It's hard to know how accurate or 'true' this explanation of the Koran is. The translator/author is neither sympathetic or empathetic towards the Koran. But the final chapter might be the most telling as the author chastises President Obama as 'naive' in attempting to have a dialog with Muslims. And proposes that all Muslims be excluded from the US as a matter of self defense.
In other words, this book has an 'agenda' - one I reject.
Thom
Some facets of this religion are incompatible with our form of government. The Mormons were willing to give up polygamy to live as Americans. Are Muslims willing to give up enough to live in peace with us?
Cris
Spencer himself believes his book will be branded as "anti-Islamic", "bigoted," "hateful," and "Islamophobic" because much of the information contained in his book in regards to how the Koran should treat infidels is very negative. He addresses these accusations of hate-mongering directly in his first chapter arguing that the accuracy of his guide account of the Koran's contents can be easily verified. And if Spencer's guide is accurate, than it can't be an act of "hatred" or "bigotry".

Spencer's...more
Max Wilson
A very good critical analysis of the Koran. Spencer illuminates the extent to which western apologists, including President Obama, have sanitized the contractory directives in the Koran. This books contributes well to a larger understanding of wold politics, including why Isreal will never be safe (Jews are called apes and pigs in the Koran), how Pakistan can simultaneously accept aid from the US and harbor/promote anti-US insurgents, and why Islamic totalitarianism continues as the greatest thr...more
Tony Derricott
I listened to the audio book driving to and from work over a period of a number of days. It's 7CDs - 8 hours so it must have taken 2 or 3 weeks. Given that driving doesn't always allow you to pay full attention to the "book" I learned a number of things; mostly that the Koran doesn't seem that different than the Bible, nor Islam than Christianity. In the words of -- I think it was Jerry Maguire -- "Can't we all just get along?"
Samuel Harris
A lot of great insight in this book about the Koran, looking at all the different English translations and the variety of interpretations of Koranic teaching. Even looks at an Obama speech that quotes the Koran... I wonder if anyone told him the next line after the one he quoted? Basically he quoted a line of love thy neighbor... but the very next line is if HE is Muslim... Jews and Christians can suck a lemon.
Jenna
I felt this book was both true and biased at the same time.
I did learn a lot about the contents of the Koran and though he said that he read the Koran so you wouldn't have to read this book just made me want to read the Koran so that I could really see what is written in it myself. He gives some viable comments and queries, sometimes I feel like I need a second opinion. It was an interesting read.
Dovofthegalilee
This is a very thorough book that refutes Islam with Islam and done so with scholarship and respect to its adherents. It's scholarly but not dry and a copy of the Koran on hand would be most recommended in conjunction.

Ben B
Not what I expected. Well researched and documented, but narrow minded. Documented that the fundamentalist position is intolerant and inherently violent, then jumped to the conclusion that the fundamentalist interpretation is the only valid interpretation. I am glad I read this book (actually, listened to the audiobook), because it provided a different point of view than the one I previously held. But if this were the only point of view available, I think it would be terribly misleading.
Allison
I enjoyed this book very much. I was looking for a book that broke down the Koran in terms that I could understand. Although this book was written by Robert Spencer, who is not Muslim, it was quite interesting to hear his point of view. I suggest anyone who reads this book should intend to read a book on the same subject matter written from the perspective of a Muslim author.
Fred Grube
This book did little to answer the main questionI had on whether or not the Koran commands Muslims to kill all infidels. The author does not come off as a non biased source for answering such a question. To his credit he does quote the Koran hundreds of time and even gives the chapter and verse, but in the end, very few of my questions were truly answered to my satisfaction.
Michael
I agree with many other reviewers on here that this book contains a lot of interesting and well researched information and is a good introduction to the Koran for the uninitiated, but that it is also extremly biased. If you read this try to get some alterantive opinions as well to hear the arguments from the other side as well before you form your own opinion.
Jeff McCormack
Great information that I am sure many people do not know. Pretty much clears up the confusion between why some say the Koran promoted peace and those that say it does not. Shows plenty of examples of how political leaders use out of context quotes to promote their beliefs about the Koran, and delves into the history, formation, and practices of the Koran.
Lisa
Goodreads needs to add the tag "abandoned" to their want to, currently, or read list. Abandoning a book is something I rarely do, but I could take no more of this book after three chapters. I was expecting a book that informed the reader about the Koran not denigrated it through subtle wording and snide remarks. I found the writing style and word choice not only insulting to my intelligence but also disrespectful. I am a Christian and have no intentions of converting to another religion, but I d...more
Brett's Books
Pretty interesting, light-hearted study of the Koran for Western readers, mostly underscoring the differences. I learned a lot about Islam I didn't know.
Mark
speaking as an "infidel" i thought it was a really balanced view of the Koran. Worth the time for sure
Rich Raymond
A very heavily anti-Islam slant. Interesting, but I would question the objectivity.
Staren
This author and his books are quite famous and critisized both among Muslims (and this is understandable) and among Westerners (which want to break the Islam-related chain of violence and hatred). I would agree with the said Westerners previously; although, after reading the book, I have big reservations about it. In short, the author is very convincing and rational in his arguments, and I have nothing against them. However, I feel desperation now: it's very soothing to think about inevitable pe...more
Eric
It is likely that I shall have to buy a print version of this work, or something very similar, in order to confront defenders of the Muslim faith in what seems their ongoing deceit in what their followers intend. For some inexplicable reason we seem to have listened far too long to a political class which seems wish only to stick our collective heads further into the sand. The author seems guilty of no hyperbole in pointing out what Islam has been saying for hundreds of years, and likely will no...more
Tiffany
Ugh this was so bad I am glad I only listened to it on audiobook. I accidentally downloaded it because I mixed up this right-wing christian author with another more academically minded author. Frustratingly, there were nuggets of interesting information in this book, like how some stuff from gnostic gospels floating around the Arab world at the time of Mohammed made their way into the Koran and how the stuff in the Koran from when Mohammed was first starting out differed from what was "revealed"...more
Denise
This is fear-mongering, pure and simple. The author says to read his book is a matter of survival for you and your children.
I have too many Muslim friends who are wonderful loving people who thrive on helping others of all faiths for me to take this horrible book to heart.
I was raised with the bible yet I know it's not to be taken literally.
I feel sorry for the readers the author freaks out with his propaganda.
Robert T.  Garcia
A very well written and informative book. As a christian, it is important to know these kind of details and information especially when there is a group who are out to cause harm to me because the choice of faith I have.
This should be a must read for all believers of Christ and followers of the Christian faith.
Very well researched and written that is well organized to understand.
Kristjan
An interesting glimpse into radical Islam. I doubt relations are as hopeless as presented here; however, I can see how difficult finding a solution might be. As a counter point, I recommend reading the "Evolution of God" to see why a solution might actually be possible (if we can convince our opponents that we are not in a zero sum situation).
Rachel
Didn't finish, I guess I wasn't that interested in the Koran after all. Wasn't bad, but I just lost interest due to all the other juicy books I have waiting to read.
  • God's Battalions: The Case for the Crusades
  • The Jesuits: The Society of Jesus and the Betrayal of the Roman Catholic Church
  • Because They Hate
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism  And Intelligent Design
  • The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men
  • While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within
  • Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • The New Road to Serfdom: A Letter of Warning to America
  • Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1
  • Patriotic Grace: What It Is and Why We Need It Now
  • Islamic Imperialism: A History
  • Islam and the West
  • In Search of Lucy: A Novel
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible (Revised International Edition)
  • A History of the World Since 9/11: Disaster, Deception, and Destruction in the War on Terror
  • Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
  • Morgue Drawer Next Door (Morgue Drawer, #2)
Robert Bruce Spencer is an American author and blogger best known for critiques of Islam and research into Islamic terrorism and jihad. He has published ten books, including two New York Times bestsellers, and is a regular contributor to David Horowitz's FrontPage Magazine. In 2003 he founded Jihad Watch, a blog which aims to bring public attention to what it describes as "the concerted effort by...more
More about Robert Spencer...
The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion Islam Unveiled: Disturbing Questions about the World's Fastest-Growing Faith Stealth Jihad: How Radical Islam Is Subverting America without Guns or Bombs Religion of Peace?: Why Christianity Is and Islam Isn't